Sign in to follow this  
Sevan

8800 problem or ArmA?

I recently upgraded to an 8800GTS card from my 8600GTS. Ever since then my game has been much much more unstable, especially in MP games.

I'm running Vista, some may say that's the problem, but it did run fine with the 8600. I have 2GB of Ram, and the latest drivers for all hardware and the 1.08 patch.

How is that an 'upgrade'? The 8800 series is significantly older silicon than the 8600 series, and there's a list of features that were introduced on the 8600 series that aren't available on the 8800's.

A true upgrade would be to the 8800's successor, or if they do a refresh.

It doubled my 3dmark score.

Uh oh, I was playing multiplayer and the screen turned blue for a second. There was a lot of text, but I couldn't any of it because the screen caught me by surprise. A second later my computer restarted. sad_o.gif

Uh oh, I was playing multiplayer and the screen turned blue for a second. There was a lot of text, but I couldn't any of it because the screen caught me by surprise. A second later my computer restarted.  sad_o.gif

Try this:

Quote[/b] ]

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

MfG Lee

Ok, I did that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I figured out the problem though, with the blue screen of death when playing multiplayer. It seems to only happen on servers running Evolution. Can anyone else confirm this?

Other than that I've had no problems with the 8800GTS, except the slight fog issue.

Can play Evolution for several hours without any problems.

Army only exits with system memory surface error if I alt-tab one or two times out of the game, but this also happens in the editor.

/e Oh didn't see it was Vista.

Can't play under Vista, Game is loosing textures an crashing within minutes.

I'd say your problems are Vista. although artifacting is an overheating problem with the RAM on the graphics chip isnt it? i used to get when i overclocked. then i stopped that as the cards never worked properly again after...

i have a single 8800GTS thats OC'd by XFX. no real problems with it after 1.08. it does get hot, but i have a big case. even then on hot nights i soemtimes have to take the side off the case....

I just upgraded my whole system. First thing I tried (against my techy intuition) was reinstalling the chipset drivers, the video drivers etc...and of course, it was a known-known..performance was horrible, visual bugs etc.

Reinstalled the OS with new drivers all around and everything has been peachy-keen since. This means offloading your data to a second drive, and wiping the drive completely. Then reinstalling everything. BTW: If you use a pagefile, set it immediately as you get onto the desktop(pagefile closer to the outside of the HD). I also OC'd my C2D 400Mhz to 3.02Ghz which was quintessential in gaining real FPS.

Also, depending on how many comps you have, I have opted for a 'pure' game system, where my second computer is used for everything else, and this system is for gaming only. No antispyware, no antivirus.

I don't think it's the 8800 fellas, I just bought my 8800GTS 640 MB ran through a little tweaking here, together with the above and it's great.

Bad Company ArmA/Nvidia Help

Sorry to hear about your woes  sad_o.gif

Most of these problems are fixed by flushing everyonce inawhile. I have 8800gtx and always crashed/blinking stuff/lod issues and everytime I flush it it goes back to normal.

If you check RPT you can see where automatically flushes was skipped and is reported as an error then your Vram fills up untill you crash.

TO FLUSH LEFT SHIFT + MINUS (numpad) Type F-L-U-S-H

Ive read before that GPU's with more than 512mb of ram have this problem.

Since the new Nivida drivers most of the problems happen much rarier ,and I thought it had fixed the crashing problems I had been having.

But today, after a few hours of some moderate intensity (in terms of graphics) action. I had another graphical bug followed by a crash. Again I suspect it's overheating. I think I will go ahead and finish the RMA and have the card replaced.

I too have a big case, plenty of space inside it. I have even installed a 100mm fan blowing directly at the card, pushing air out from the side vents, on full power. Which leads me to suspect somehow the stock cooling system was installed faulty.

Like I said, I'm not sure if the problem is Vista related. I ran ArmA absolutely perfectly with my 8600. Of course at lower graphic settings.

What leads me to agian think "ArmA or the 8800" is that I have not tested it with any other graphically intense games. I don't own any other recent high system requirement games. I specifically put this computer together a few days after the US release of ArmA.

I have a 8800 GTS 640MB/windows XP and the only real issues I get are lods on North Sarahni.

No CTDs though.

The only time I get a CTD with my 8800gts 640mb is when I add in the -mem1024 that everyone suggests.... The newest driver gave me a 10% boost also

Specs in Sig

Silky smooth frames here no problems   US version 1.08 smile_o.gif

I'm using Official Nvidia Driver 162.18

Went back to XP done a fresh install of Arma and performance is twice as good as Vista for me, only gripe i have is with the dam 'FOG/HAZE' issue, can this not be fixed??

I've been actually thinking about purchasing a copy of XP. Very sad situation I shouldn't have to spend around 100$ buying an older version of windows, when I've already spent that much, and more, for Vista.

Yeah, XP for the win when it comes to gaming.

What use is an OS that steals your ram when you are gaming?

And another question to anyone:

Does anyone have the ability to report the performance of the new Radeon HD-cards?

I looked at tomshardware, and the performance matched the price when comparing it to the 8800GTS-cards, but I am wondering if any ArmA-players has it and has encountered any problems with ArmA or perhaps had a really great gamingexperience?

Regards

Quote[/b] ]What use is an OS that steals your ram when you are gaming?

ArmA's ram use, I've seen, barely goes to 1GB. That leaves me with another gig for background tasks.

I've got an 8800GTX and Vista, and the latest two driver builds have saved the day for me. I still have to run the command line maxmem thingy at 256MB, but the game has never run better for me. I can finally enjoy the damn thing rather than crashing out every 5 minutes.

I've been actually thinking about purchasing a copy of XP. Very sad situation I shouldn't have to spend around 100$ buying an older version of windows, when I've already spent that much, and more, for Vista.
Quote[/b] ]There are no downgrade rights granted for Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic or Home Premium or for retail packaged product versions of Vista. Downgrade rights for pre-installed (OEM) versions of Vista apply only to Vista Business or Vista Ultimate. Vista Enterprise comes with downgrade rights, as well. The user cannot use both the downgraded operating system and Windows Vista on the same machine. End users can use the following media for their downgrade: Volume Licensing media (provided the end user has a Volume Licensing agreement), Retail, or System Builder hologram CD (provided the software is acquired in accordance with the Microsoft OEM System Builder License).

If you bought Vista Ultimate, you may be in luck.  smile_o.gif  Purchasing Vista Ultimate will allow you to install WindowsXP in it's place. It's probably a pain, and you have to the right version of Vista Ultimate, but...

that's what's so funny. Purchasing a 400-500$ version of Vista gives you the privilege of installing XP from 2001!

that's what's so funny. Purchasing a 400-500$ version of Vista gives you the privilege of installing XP from 2001!

WindowsXP I think was a breakthrough. Windows Vista is more like a breakdown. ha.

Not only is the GUI fugly, it costs more for the fugly GUI! rofl.gif

I shouldn't rant too much I guess, Microsoft gave me a job.

Also, depending on how many comps you have, I have opted for a 'pure' game system, where my second computer is used for everything else, and this system is for gaming only. No antispyware, no antivirus.

This leads me to a question, is it impossible to receive a virus just through gaming. Does this also mean you never browse websites on your gaming computer.

Quote[/b] ]is it impossible to receive a virus just through gaming.

Almost impossible yes. Unless you do some adult gaming, but then who knows what you might get  tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Does this also mean you never browse websites on your gaming computer.

Yes and no. You gotta be smart about it. Only go to websites you know are virus free. OFPEC, Flashpoint1985 and Skins.Be  whistle.gif   rofl.gif

Anything that is not related to Armed Assault, a mod for ArmA or YouTube I don't do. I used to have a bunch of games installed but really, I don't have the time anymore. I only use Armed Assault anyway.

If I wanna look up something, or download a few torrents I just mstsc /v:NameofOtherComputer. RDP on a LAN is so fast you could practically stream a video over it...

Hi,

I've got the same problem. I can't play it with Vista.

Ive tried the fixes too, don't help...

I've really long lags before it crash sad_o.gif

Even on low details Arma crash....