Sign in to follow this  
igor drukov

Black Sword

<span style='color:red'>Version 3.1 out (August 20th, 2007)!

Single Player supported

norrin's revive script fixed

</span>

Hello fellow coop players!

In Black Sword, a 12-player, plot-driven coop mission with a realistic ambition, you will HALO in the dark to storm a well-located enemy radar. Once this primary objective is completed, you will have the choice to engage targets of opportunity before calling for extraction...

Secondary objectives are vague on purpose: it is ultimately for your team to decide when and where (and if! ) to call for extraction before the enemy comes pounding on you in swarms...

The download comes with a Template for those interested in the CPU/Sat system I devised (see below), and a (very small) HALO training mission.

Black Sword requires no addon and was designed under 1.08.

<ul>[*]Links

<ul>

[*]

<ul>[*] ==>Black Sword (v3.1)<== from my homepage

[*] Mirror from ArmAholic (thanks to Big)

[*]Mirror from armedassault.info (thanks to ofpdeadeye)

[*]Key-Features

<ul>[*] SKNKMAN's and KeyCat's and toadlife's GroupLinkII for ArmA;

[*] norrin's revive script;

[*] ManDay's HALO script;

[*] Ingame adjustable time of the day, view-distance and terrain detail;

[*] Full briefing and plot, and surprises, and tactical choices, and different endings;

[*] Freedom!

[*] A fully working Computer/Satellite system whose communications are interceptable by the enemy within a certain range, based on dialogs and usable by soldiers with a Laser Designator. Discover all hidden features ingame!

[*]Credits

<ul>[*] BIS/BIA for their great simulators.

[*] DOA for giving me access to his dedi server;

[*] SKNKMAN and KeyCat and toadlife for GLII;

[*] norrin for his revive script;

[*] Cheetah for his CoordToGrid function;

[*] snYpir's for his TimeToString function;

[*] ManDay's for his HALO set of scripts (modified by Igor Drukov to include a mini[*]map);

[*] Vektorboson for his OFP satellite;

[*] Kegetys for showing the way;

[*] Beta-Testers: Smiley_Nick (big cheers mate), deanosbeano, Variable, Apex, Vartan, Ricky D., Smookie, Georgiev, Jonny A.K.A. Johannes Wagner.

[*]A few in-game screenies

Insertion style (daylight for esthetic reasons):

wc_hc_pimp0_s.jpg

The Computer Dialog:

wc_hc_pimp1_s.jpg

The Satellite Camera:

wc_hc_pimp2_s.jpg

A freebie!

wc_hc_pimp3_s.jpg

Lying low:

wc_hc_pimp5_s.jpg

Extraction at last:

wc_hc_pimp4_s.jpg

I hope you'll enjoy this, feedback is more than welcome!

Regards,

Igor.

[EDIT]

Version 1.01 changes:

<ul>[*] Reference to a non-existing marker "Landing-Zone" in the briefing removed (thank you Bravo 6);

[*]Starting position changed so players appear on the map while HALOing at the beginning.

Version 2.0b changes:

<ul>[*] Sounds of C130 and freefalling added ;

[*] More playable slots ;

[*] Join In Progress.

Version 2.0 changes:

<ul>

[*] Markers updated on JIP ;

[*] GLII issues fixed;

[*] Mission Streamlined;

[*] Choice of JIP implemented;

[*] Instruction Dialog at the beginning of the mission.

[*] Markers updated on JIP ;

[*] GLII issues fixed;

[*] Mission Streamlined;

[*] Choice of JIP implemented;

[*] Instruction Dialog at the beginning of the mission.

Version 3.0 changes:

<ul>

[*] Latest version of norrin's revive scripts implemented;

[*] A few end and settings triggers fixed;

[*] The mission can now be played in Single Player.

<span style='color:red'>Version 3. changes:</span>

<ul>

[*]Bug in norrin's revive scripts squashed

[/EDIT]

It was a treat to be offered the opportunity to play this mission before it was posted.

Igor's missions are always extremely pleasant and rewarding for the true coop player.

The insertion is short, intense and immersive.

The mission is overall extremely realistic and well thought through.

I really recommend this for everybody who had the luck to try one of Igor's mission on OFP. For all the other coop players : here's your chance to discover Igor's style !

I'm looking forward to playing this one with a complete 8-squad !

Finally, it’s released!

Was a pleasure to help play test and give feedback to Igor, for this mission.

I have decided to only play missions by igor now, as they are so immersive and coop based it's beyond belief. If you are a true co op fan, i would highly recommend this, and his other missions.

Arma missions should be like this as standard. A must, for any co op clan!

Thank you Igor for spending months on this mission, well worth it.

We play together regularly on a dedi server with real mission, and anyone who is mature and looking for the more "adult" experience with less of the "clan" approach, then feel free to PM me or Igor.

Nick

notworthy.gif Igor Drukov does it again!

Well made mission, nice atmosphere and it really "takes you in". The HALO insertion is really nice and it is a good beginning to the mission. The objective is cool, and the way it is presented in the briefing really makes you want to complete it.

Some comments:

1. The area around the target swarms with enemy patrols. they are absolutely everywhere. There is no real chance to  approach and insert the codes to the radio tower console covertly. You have to engage the enemy inorder to keep going in this mission. Now this is a bit unrealistic. these kind of covert missions should be done in complete secret. Otherwise, The enemy should understand that their codes have been compromised and that a special operations team fights its way to wire tap one of their communication assets. It can't be expected that they will just ignore the fact that the radio tower was tapped. I would suggest massively cutting down the enemy's presence in the mission and around the objective and force the players to insert the codes covertly.

2. It seems like a big war is going on around, there are many friendly AI's spec-ops operating in the area, fighting with the enemy. It's a nice touch and it adds to the atmosphere, but this should be reffered to in the briefing, maybe as diversion attacks. Moreover, it's better if those AI's will be regular infantry and not black-ops sice they perform regular infantry attacks, in big numbers, job more suitable for regular infantry.

Thanks for this mission Igor, I had fun playing it smile_o.gif

Thank you very very much gentlemen for the kind words, they're much appreciated.

@Variable

Thank you for the comments, although they are on an earlier build of the mission, when it was still called "Wire-Crackers". Black Sword is very different from WC:

<ul>[*] Friendlies have been removed to allow the stealthy insertion;

[*] The objectives are less linear and give more tactical freedom to the players.

WC ended up as a big battlefield, which wasn't what I'd intended in the first place. So Variable, do try out Black Sword too!

Thank you all again, and regards,

Igor.

This mission is AMAZING!

Me and my friend had loads of fun with it, we tried probably almost a hundred Arma maps, but this was the one that we could play non-stop. Excellent job.

@mrbean1112

Very much appreciated, thank you mate!

@Bravo6

There used to be a landing-zone in previous builds indeed, and I've forgotten to update the briefing accordingly. The LZ is basically for you and your team to choose.

As it's the only bug reported so far, I'm not sure it's worth reuploading a new version. Thank you very much for reporting (and thoroughly reading! ).

Thanks again,

Igor.

@Bravo6

As it's the only bug reported so far, I'm not sure it's worth reuploading a new version. Thank you very much for reporting (and thoroughly reading! ).

IMO i think you should update it, even for a simple bug wink_o.gif

Love this mission, we run it on our server at the mo.

Only 2 things I noticed:

Love the idea that the enemy converge on your area when discovered/fighting.

Is destroying the radio station supposed to cut off their comms?

Also regarding new players, they usually drop way out tob sea (swimming) and leave - is the only way to help them take motorboats out before proceeding with mission?

Hi, I love this mission, I think its great. But for some reason, I can't get the laptop to work in a mission of my own. Can you give a link to where you got the laptop script, or somewhere that has a readme for it?

Played this last nite.

Awesome, has a ton of nice features, including the Revive, which made it a great team game.

Blowing holes through that fence, stealing the kamoff, it was just great fun. However we haven't completed it.

We are going for round 2 tonight.

Hello all -

Version 1.01 with two tiny changes has been released, please see download link and details in the first post.

@ Bravo 6

Done.

@ Tijai

Thank you for the kind feedback. As to your questions:

No, destroying the radar doesn't cut off their comms ingame, so the enemies will keep converging on you even after it has been destroyed.

I like to enhance team-play as much as I can in the missions I make, that's why the mission should be started with all your mates ready.

@FlyinBullets

Can you give me more details on what doesn't work?

@wolfsblut_

Please do, please do!

@benxcore

Thank you mate, and good luck for tonight!

Thank you all again for your interest,

Igor.

When I try to use the Computer on a mission I have set up on Rahmadi, I get no option to use it at all. I have the exact same files and markers as in the template mission, but I get no option to activate the action of the computer.

Ok, I can get the laptop to work now, I didn't have an LD  huh.gif But on my mission and on the template I get this error

eror.jpg

Edit: I found the problem, if you go into the HPP file of the Computer in your mission file, just remove the breaking news section of the file, and it will fix it.

Awesome mission! I can honestly say that it was the best mission in any game I have played, ever, and probably the most fun I have ever had as well. Just played it for roughly 2 - 3 hours with 4 squadmates. I wrote about it here.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/post453791-262.html

Can I ask that you please make a version that allows JIP? My squad is runing a passworded server, frequented mostly by members of the squad. Some people come in after the mission has started, and it's really unfortunate that they can't join.

Pretty please? inlove.gif

Anyway, thanks for the awesome mission.

@ FlyinBullets

What version of ArmA do you use? The missing pic' is one that belongs to the original campaign, or did you modify/remove those files?

@Adam192

Thanks a lot mate, the new JIP version with up to 12 players is now out (see first post).

Regards,

Igor.

@Adam192

Thanks a lot mate, the new JIP version with up to 12 players is now out (see first post).

Regards,

Igor.

Thank you so much notworthy.gif.

The most professional mission I have played for ArmA thus far. My squadmates and I had great fun playing this mission for hours on end.

@ FlyinBullets

What version of ArmA do you use? The missing pic' is one that belongs to the original campaign, or did you modify/remove those files?

@Adam192

Regards,

Igor.

Im using the latest version.