Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

Anyone else using TrackIR in Arma

Lucky I now with the guys from justflight who are soon be been distributing TrackIR, maybe now I'll be able to get my mitts on one biggrin_o.gif

I user TrackIR Pro 4 a lot but tend to find when on foot that my natural tendency to look about makes me miss more shots than I would with it off so I just toggle it off when not in a vehicle.

I user TrackIR Pro 4 a lot but tend to find when on foot that my natural tendency to look about makes me miss more shots than I would with it off so I just toggle it off when not in a vehicle.

Same for me, i find trackir to be perfect for driving/flying but not "on foot", i have one of my thumb buttons on the mouse set to pause the trackir (witch will also center the view).

It's good for keeping tabs on your surroundings when running, otherwise you've got tunnel vision. Threats are more likely to become visible to the side of you while moving forward, than in front of you (due to corners and obstacles).

Running from tanks/enemies/monsters in FPS games is always a nightmare, you normally have to turn your back to them to run at full speed, which means you've got zero situational awareness and no defence. In RL you'd still be able to glance behind and shoot.

It would be good if the gun moved with the TIR view with finer aim control done with the floating mouse (which controls your body orientation as well). This would need some super next-gen dynamic animations though.

I use TIR and have version 4. For flying in arma and other flight sims, I absolutely love it. However I'm having a hard time using it in infantry combat because when I use the iron sights, I get very disoriented when I have to align me eyes to the scope then the target. I need to figure out a way to disable the tracking when doing so.

Otherwise it's a great product and I have no complaints. thumbs-up.gif

My trackir seems to cut out after about an hour's use (orange led instead of green) and I have to exit ArmA and restart the trackir software.

Anyone else having this problem, or does anyone know how it fix it?

Just wanted to post a quick review of my trackir4 I received last week.

I was very sceptical in buying it but the videos looked so cool I had to try it.

I received the item, plugged it in, installed the software, booted ARMA, and it worked! I was surprised to say the least. It took me a few minutes of positioning the thing on my monitor to get it to work right. I erased the zoom feature in ARMA's options because I like using the right mouse key to do it. Other then that, I have no complaints.

I know some people have been saying it takes getting used to used while playing infantry. I have not encountered that problem. With in 10 minutes I had it down. Just make small head movements and be still when zooming in. It feels very natural to me. I only wish there where more FPS games I could use this with.

My trackir seems to cut out after about an hour's use (orange led instead of green) and I have to exit ArmA and restart the trackir software.

Something to take a look at.......

Are you plugging in directly to the system, or are you using a hub?

Have you tried isolating the device on the USB ports?

Have you tried turn off any kind of power save feature for your USB ports?

In the "Device Manager" you can right click the "USB Root Hub"(s), that show, and then select properties. On the power management tab, uncheck the box that allows the computer to turn off the USB port to save power (i.e. uncheck the box). Sometimes that has an impact on the connectivity of the devices.

Guys Track IR is a must in ARMA.

Get it, that's my advice. You won't look back....well you will look back when you get it that's the whole idea... confused_o.gif

You know what I mean. smile_o.gif

Something to take a look at.......

Are you plugging in directly to the system, or are you using a hub?

Have you tried isolating the device on the USB ports?

Have you tried turn off any kind of power save feature for your USB ports?

In the "Device Manager" you can right click the "USB Root Hub"(s), that show, and then select properties. On the power management tab, uncheck the box that allows the computer to turn off the USB port to save power (i.e. uncheck the box). Sometimes that has an impact on the connectivity of the devices.

Hi Vincent, thanks for the reply.

The trackir 4 is plugged directly into the pc and there is no power saving on the usb port.

I'm not sure what you mean about "isolating the device" but there is no other usb device plugged in beside the trackir.

Is it possible I need to change a light filtering or dot tracking option?

As I say, it works great for an hour and then the orange light comes on the vector isn't recognised any more.

@simonfitba: Have you been commanding when this happened? The standard key to disable the trackir is F9 and maybe it's just because of this double mapping. You can then just press F9 another time to enable it again, nothing broken then biggrin_o.gif

trackir is great on foot too. You just need to increase your deadband so that slight head movements are not moving your viewpoint.

@simonfitba: Have you been commanding when this happened? The standard key to disable the trackir is F9 and maybe it's just because of this double mapping. You can then just press F9 another time to enable it again, nothing broken then biggrin_o.gif

Nope. I changed the pause key. It's definitely not paused and pressing pause has no effect.

hmmm, did you try turning off the power saving features?

In the following folder location, C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\Profiles, what is the file size for each profile?

Fiasco,

Yes, I played around with that and although it was better when on foot I wanted it to be a little more "twitchy" when flying. Can't have it both ways I suppose.

The request I put in at the Natural Point forums was to have featured a hotkey to disable an axis/multiple axes on the fly and not just pause the whole unit altogether. This would allow you to have your config as desired but pause a certain axis if it gets out of control/is not really applicable during whatever situation.

AND, it'd finally put this TRackIR ironsights thing to BED!

In other words, Vincent, I hope you're taking notes tounge2.gif , when I push my desired key (in my case I've chosen key 'x' to center & disable x and y axes yet keep all others active), then I can look WITH CONFIDENCE AND STEADINESS through my ironsight. At the moment It's like I'm Oppum from Saving Private Ryan...shaking like a leaf!

biggrin_o.gif

(sorry, I know I may sound finnicky but I KNOW it's possible and I've paid good money for this excellent piece of kit.) wink_o.gif

Someone already came up with a partial fix for this (by using the precision toggle) and as good as it is, it's still not right.

Again, I could create a deadzone for infantry use but I don't want to do that because it feels unnatural. I love the fluid motion of the TIR when I'm on the ground.

In the following folder location, C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\Profiles, what is the file size for each profile?

Hi Vincent,

Yeah power saving is definitely off.

The profile I'm using is 4kb. Default profile is 6kb. Flight and racing 2kb. Combat flight 4kb.

For me trackir is rubbish i tried for 2 weeks to get used to it without any luck. Much better to press a key on the keyboard to lean, as opposed to leaning left and right with your body looking like a right idiot, did make my girlfriend laugh though.

For me trackir is rubbish i tried for 2 weeks to get used to it without any luck. Much better to press a key on the keyboard to lean, as opposed to leaning left and right with your body looking like a right idiot, did make my girlfriend laugh though.

Only thing i can say is your loss.

it has taken me quite some time to get to a point where im 'better' with it than without it. Yes its a slow learning curve, and getting that profile just right takes some time.

However now that i have it 'cracked' im much quicker at responding, and getting cover. I tried the 'key-to-lean' idea, and found it very difficult to inch left and right when leaning. Not a problem with tir, you fingers do the inching, and your head does the leaning/looking, quite independently. Also I can run with the gun in aim mode (turbo+forward key), and the gun drops way while running, then returns to the eye when I stop, ready to fire. I use the head tilt for lean, and i gotta be careful i dont tilt when running cause it causes me to the run to deactivate. But im quite used to it now. I have the TIR center button on the middle mouse key, so its always there, and i use it frequently. (ive posted about this somewhere before)

One thing which is very important is FPS. You gotta have very hight frames. If you gotta turn down the eye candy then do. Only then will you see how TIR shines. Poor FPS are a real hamper with limited degrees of freedom, because when the head, background, and aim sight move independently, it can get quite uncontrollable, since everything is 'stepping' independently.

FPS IS KING always, but even moreso with TIR.  Make sure you are 30/40. Then you will experience TIR in all its glory.

Hi Vincent,

The profile I'm using is 4kb. Default profile is 6kb. Flight and racing 2kb. Combat flight 4kb.

OK, it looks like you are starting to get some corruption in the TrackIR profiles. Anything over 4KB in size is starting to get some file corruption.......

Here are the steps that I would use...

1 - Go into the NaturalPoint folder, C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\Profiles, and move the current "default" profile to a backup folder.

2 - Restart the TrackIR software, this will rebuild a new default profile.

Map your zoom/hold breath key (or an undefined key that's easy to reach) to 'precision mode' in your TrackIR software...................

Well I've now come full circle on this one. Im now back to not engaging precision mode when zooming. And it works very well. Biggest difference is is now I have game the running at high FPS (see my last post). So the head movements are 'fast', but smooth, not stepping. With poor FPS, the whole process gets uncontrollably 'jerky'. I also think its easier now that i have spend more time with TIR, and part of it is getting used to it for this game. Crucial as I have said many times is a 'centering' button close at hand. (its my center mouse button! ).

The fast response while zoomed now gives me more conrtol and i can react more quickly. I suggest you reduce your video settings to get high fps to try out what im saying. I'll try to do a small video to demonstrate how this works in practice.

Fish, I hear what you're saying. In fact, I think we share a common preference for the "feel" of TIR in the game because of how we have our profiles set up.

I just think that the software needs to be more customisable. I reckon it'll get there too. (hopefully)

Funny you mention centering because I use mine all the time as well. The thing is this: I'm not sure whether you TIR users notice this too but let me try to give an example...

Say you are looking through a scope: your TIR is still active in the background but aside from being able to lean, you'd never really know as your head is fixed in position. Now, you come out of scope view only to find that you're looking straight up into the sun or even at your toes. (again, because the TIR was active). Now, this is through no fault of Arma's game engine. The TIR software, as good and customisbale as it is, needs a little more - for ArmA at least.

To elaborate: Because I don't have any deadzones set, sometimes I need to hit 're-center' when I want to sprint as I may have the smallest amount of lean "dialled" in. I have no problem with doing this and it's second nature to me now. On the other hand - when I want to use my ironsights, not only is there the problem of keeping steady. A lot of the time I'm not even looking remotely through the sight when I want to use it. Half the time i'm looking at my own hand gripping the rifle or off to the side with barely half the ironsight in my view. Simple solution - hit 're-center'. Well, not really because then I cancel out my lean too.

My requirement is: hit key 'x'. Chosen axis/axes are centered and disabled. Hit key 'x' again and they are active again from center point. Hell, another option...hit key 'x' and axis is disabled but remains on the last active vector. My point is that because it's quite a personal piece of kit (I mean in the sense that we all have specific preferences in the way we use it), make the software as customisable as can be.

Unreasonable? I don't know. I mean I'm a customer using the product. I should be entitled to make suggestions on what the software could include...as much as I do enjoy my TIR. inlove.gif

Hi Vincent,

OK, it looks like you are starting to get some corruption in the TrackIR profiles. Anything over 4KB in size is starting to get some file corruption.......

Here are the steps that I would use...

1 - Go into the NaturalPoint folder, C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint\TrackIR4\Profiles, and move the current "default" profile to a backup folder.

2 - Restart the TrackIR software, this will rebuild a new default profile.

Ok, I moved the default profile to the desktop and restarted the software (via shortcut) but there's no new default profile. All I have are my custom arma profile, combat flight, flight and racing.

Should I reinstall the trackir software?

PS. Thanks for all the help on this Vincent. I gotta say I love trackir and am so glad I bought it.

Yes, if the default profile did not rebuild itself, then I would backup your customized ArmA profile, then do a clean install of the software.

Remove the TrackIR software by doing the following:

a. Click "Start"

b. Click on the "Control Panel"

c. Click "Add/Remove Programs"

d. Find "TrackIR" and click "Change/Remove"

e. Once launched it will give the option to completely remove it.

f. Delete the NaturalPoint folder at the following location, C:\Program Files\NaturalPoint

g. Download and reinstall the software from the following location,

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06-support/support-download-software-and-manuals.html

Fish, I hear what you're saying. In fact, I think we share a common preference for the "feel" of TIR in the game because of how we have our profiles set up.

I just think that the software needs to be more customisable. I reckon it'll get there too. (hopefully)

Funny you mention centering because I use mine all the time as well. The thing is this: I'm not sure whether you TIR users notice this too but let me try to give an example...

Say you are looking through a scope: your TIR is still active in the background but aside from being able to lean, you'd never really know as your head is fixed in position. Now, you come out of scope view only to find that you're looking straight up into the sun or even at your toes. (again, because the TIR was active). Now, this is through no fault of Arma's game engine. The TIR software, as good and customisbale as it is, needs a little more - for ArmA at least.

To elaborate: Because I don't have any deadzones set, sometimes I need to hit 're-center' when I want to sprint as I may have the smallest amount of lean "dialled" in. I have no problem with doing this and it's second nature to me now. On the other hand - when I want to use my ironsights, not only is there the problem of keeping steady. A lot of the time I'm not even looking remotely through the sight when I want to use it. Half the time i'm looking at my own hand gripping the rifle or off to the side with barely half the ironsight in my view. Simple solution - hit 're-center'. Well, not really because then I cancel out my lean too.

My requirement is: hit key 'x'. Chosen axis/axes are centered and disabled. Hit key 'x' again and they are active again from center point. Hell, another option...hit key 'x' and axis is disabled but remains on the last active vector. My point is that because it's quite a personal piece of kit (I mean in the sense that we all have specific preferences in the way we use it), make the software as customisable as can be.

Unreasonable? I don't know. I mean I'm a customer using the product. I should be entitled to make suggestions on what the software could include...as much as I do enjoy my TIR. inlove.gif

I will run the idea of being able to pause individual axis within the TrackIR software, by the development team and see if we can get it added to a future version of the software.