Sign in to follow this  
Satchel

Sierra´s swat urban justice

I was a huge fan of Sierra´s SWAT series of games, especially SWAT3; i never experienced better coop and Teamwork in any game online. However, among all the realism and believable reconstruction of SWAT callups and procedures, there were many restrictions, gameplay flaws and other shortcomings. Now it looks like Sierra and the team around Rod Fung listened to fan input and have been working secretly on a new generation of SWAT, that looks and reads like it´s not just a follow-up to the series, but a complete redo and workover that has nothing in common with the original SWAT series games, except police duty.

As i read the preview and saw some pics it almost make me bite my tongue, judge for yourself:

swat4_screen003.jpg

Some features:

- The game's weapons system will now allow for modularity. To be specific, most of the guns in Urban Justice will have a number of hardpoints that you can attach six different types of upgrades to, including stocks, grips, magazines, optics, and suppressors, and within these categories, you'll find a myriad of options for a near-infinite amount of customization options

- You'll be able to choose from an MP5, MP5SD, MP5K, MP5 PDW, UMP45, M4 RIS, H&K G3, H&K G36C, P90, Steyr Aug, M4A2, AK-47, AK-74U, AN94, Super 90, and countless others (the final number is not set yet, but it will be staggering).

-Two different side arms apiece. Making that possible is a virtual arsenal of pistols that includes the Glock 21, Glock 19, FN57, Colt 1911, M9, Beretta 93R, and USP 40, and they too will be customizable with laser sights, bigger clips, and silencers.

- Modularity also extends to your element, as you can outfit your officers with a variety of helmets, elbow pads, Kevlar vests, camouflage, goggles, gas masks, and even sunglasses. You can also choose what kind of ammo to load your primary and secondary weapons with--from buckshot to hollow point to less-than-lethal rubber bullets--and you can even choose what kind of handcuffs your element will carry into battle.

- Urban Justice will take into account the weight of all of your ammo and reduce your movement speed accordingly. And while that has been done in other games before, Urban Justice will be one of the first games that actually reduces your weight as your character uses up ammo, drops clips, and throws away grenades. What's more, you'll be able to choose from six different physiques--two female and four male--and each will have a distinct walking speed, strength, and tolerance for pain.

- Takedown 3D engine, which, according to Fung, will feature an impressive particle system and boast technical niceties like per-pixel lighting, dynamic shadows, and 5,000-polygon character models that use facial animation and lip-synching technologies. All the characters in Urban Justice will also have 29 unique hit "zones"!!! Woahhh!

- Multiplayer component out of the box, a lesson Sierra learned with the original SWAT 3, and while the different gameplay modes are still in flux, the final number will probably be close to eight and will include options for deathmatch, team deathmatch, VIP protection, and cooperative play for up to 24 players.

- Go prone, drop or pick up any gun or piece of combat gear (this applies to the bad guys too), and subdue your target by slamming the butt of your gun into his (or her) stomach, though too much of this maneuver will get you slapped with a police brutality fine.

swat4_screen002.jpg

For the full preview head over here:

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2848268,00.html (be sure to check out the 10 screenshots)

Can you say fucking amazing? I got my expectations and hopes stacked up high for this piece of software, hope they will manage to finish it by the end of this year.

This together with OFP and Falcon 5! wink.gif, and i won´t need any other games on my HDD.

I loved that game. Sadly I lent it to a friend but I never got it back sad.gif

I liked being able to shot through certain walls and putting the max amout of terrorists in the little house and then trying to kill them all without dying. Also being able to arrest people was cool but I then always ended up shooting them for a laugh.

I hared that level in the sewer, when you had to find all those bombs

Thank god they’re making a new Swat game. I have played Swat3 to near death. Ahh well I still love the multiplayer games of it specially the co-op games with too swat teams assaulting the building. Nothing quite like it at all with a dynamic entry as you blow open the door with the c4 lob your flash bangs and cs and pile in too the room gun ready scream the compliance command at the people in there as they cough on the cs and suddenly a terrorist burst through the other room screaming and firing his gun at your team you make a dash for cover hearing your fellow team mate yelling blue 1 is down, blue 2 is down and you get ready to take this bastard terrorist with your gun your team mate lobs a flash bang and you nip out and double tap the terrorist in the head followed by the radio message suspect neutralised.

I thought swat where not allowed to use the enemies weapons cause they would be evidence.

*second_draw speaking to computer*

I want you to work like you never have(/had) before

*/second_draw speaking to computer*

*second_draw makes mental note not to speak to computers or make mental notes aloud*

"5000 poly character models"

Yeah they look great, but what slobbering, one eyed retard made the weapon models and why are they like 300 polys?

I liked SWAT3 alot, but found RS/UO to be a much more rewarding game to play. Plus I really hated SWAT3's engine. Hope this new SWAT game will be good though.

What was wrong with Swat3 engine it did it's job fine. The bullet physics were excellant.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Feb. 20 2002,02:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...but what slobbering, one eyed retard made the weapon models and why are they like 300 polys?<span id='postcolor'>

True, true. I hope those are not the final weapon models.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What was wrong with Swat3 engine it did it's job fine. The bullet physics were excellant. <span id='postcolor'>

It always had a very jerky feeling after playing Rogue spear.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Monkey Lib Front @ Feb. 19 2002,21:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I thought swat where not allowed to use the enemies weapons cause they would be evidence.<span id='postcolor'>

True, but if a SWAT cop ran out of ammo (which i doubt) then i dont see why they wouldn't pick up a weapon to defend themselves in the meantime.

I think that if a SWAT cop picks up and uses a Tango's weapon while still possessing ammo for his own weapons, then he should be reprimanded or penalized in some way.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Feb. 20 2002,00:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What was wrong with Swat3 engine it did it's job fine. The bullet physics were excellant. <span id='postcolor'>

It always had a very jerky feeling after playing Rogue spear.<span id='postcolor'>

What do you mean jerky? It ran smooth as a babies ass for me hey I first played Swat3 I had no 3dcard I as using some software accelerated lump of shit then I got a 3d card and I though awesome with all the new lighting effects I got in the game.

I like swat3 so much I have download every upgrade they have realsed and that is a lot for a poor 56ker like me to download.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">smooth as a babies ass for me<span id='postcolor'>

How many babys asses u been feeling?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Monkey Lib Front @ Feb. 20 2002,00:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">smooth as a babies ass for me<span id='postcolor'>

How many babys asses u been feeling?<span id='postcolor'>

Not as many as you have

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What do you mean jerky? It ran smooth as a babies ass for me hey I first played Swat3 I had no 3dcard I as using some software accelerated lump of shit then I got a 3d card and I though awesome with all the new lighting effects I got in the game.<span id='postcolor'>

Play Swat3 then play RS and you will soon see what I mean. Other thing I didn't like about SWAT3 was WON.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Feb. 20 2002,00:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What do you mean jerky? It ran smooth as a babies ass for me hey I first played Swat3 I had no 3dcard I as using some software accelerated lump of shit then I got a 3d card and I though awesome with all the new lighting effects I got in the game.<span id='postcolor'>

Play Swat3 then play RS and you will soon see what I mean. Other thing I didn't like about SWAT3 was WON.<span id='postcolor'>

To play what I assume you mean Rouge Spear I need to buy it the best I can get to Rouge spear is Rainbow six and yes WON is a lump of shit to use but I can just about stand it enough to play Swat3 on it with my clan.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Feb. 20 2002,02:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It always had a very jerky feeling after playing Rogue spear.<span id='postcolor'>

IMO the aiming is not as precise in SWAT as it is in RS. It was much harder to shoot moving targets from a long distance in SWAT.

No way was is it hard to hit a long distnace target in Swat3 I could do it fine before they brought in scopes for the weapons.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IMO the aiming is not as precise in SWAT as it is in RS. It was much harder to shoot moving targets from a long distance in SWAT. <span id='postcolor'>

Yeah that's one other gameplay aspect I like about RS, the moving crosshair. SWAT3's feels like a sort of cheap copy but a few of them were nice. I like the player models in SWAT3 and the way they holster their handgun and their primary hangs when they switch weapon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yes WON is a lump of shit to use but I can just about stand it enough to play Swat3 on it with my clan.<span id='postcolor'>

Last time I played (waaaay before the 10 player patch) I was getting roughly 700ms pings to most the servers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Feb. 20 2002,01:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">IMO the aiming is not as precise in SWAT as it is in RS. It was much harder to shoot moving targets from a long distance in SWAT. <span id='postcolor'>

Yeah that's one other gameplay aspect I like about RS, the moving crosshair. SWAT3's feels like a sort of cheap copy but a few of them were nice. I like the player models in SWAT3 and the way they holster their handgun and their primary hangs when they switch weapon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yes WON is a lump of shit to use but I can just about stand it enough to play Swat3 on it  with my clan.<span id='postcolor'>

Last time I played (waaaay before the 10 player patch) I was getting roughly 700ms pings to most the servers.<span id='postcolor'>

Ouch 700ms well before the 10-player patch I got about 400ms. Yep one team death match I played ended with me with over a 100 kills and my partner with over 70 we thrashed the other team in case you were wondering. But your ping does not really matter, as every one else’s was crap as well. But it helps a lot if you hosted the game on the ping front.

700ms ping isn't too good when you're playing against AI sad.gif

Ahh the AI was quite good to play against. Nothing quite like being having your entire team being wiped out by one terrorist. I can't say I ever really had that many problems with the AI on a co op game over the internet.

Cool....swat 3 went along ways for me....it lasted as playing every day on multiplayer for about 16 month's...just in the last few I have stopped playing it and so have all my friends....