Sign in to follow this  
mandoble

Addon or mod for kids

Past year my little daughter (3 yo) had lots of fun with OFP. It was enough to put people walking by the streets, buses going here and there, a bicycle she may use, some musics triggered here and there and so.

I know ArmA is basically a "military" thing in nature, but it might be also and outstanding tool and toy also for the very young and small people for both, having fun and teaching things.

Is anyone considering that for any future mod?

not a bad idea... arma defenitly has the potential for it and the modding possibilities are almost unlimited...

my son (1yo) loves arma, its the guns he likes though, he just found out wich botton to press to make it go Bang!! its really holarious to look at...

biggrin_o.gif

Well I once let my girlfriend (passes as a small child when it comes to computer games) try OFP. She ran through some forests and told me afterwards that 'there was no one there'. It was a good experience for someone who hasn't really played games.

I don't have children but I think the idea is great. I would use a non-violent, non-military theme.

There's a whole lot of possibilities for missions. Simple missions like in which you would have to collect something would be easy to make, but could be a lot of fun for small children.

Guest Ti0n3r
Amra kids :

eduactional mod

Lesson learned: War is hell biggrin_o.gif

Indeed my 8yr old would like some police-cars and some more trucks/trailers

smile_o.gif

(he loved driving around in those in the full scale war of my OdenAAS for OFP)

This is not a kids game i cant even belive you guys let your kids play this game.

wink_o.gif Its show War People Dieing. Same Princible for real life and yet you still let them play. discraceful. confused_o.gif

This is not a kids game i cant even belive you guys let your kids play this game.

wink_o.gif Its show War People Dieing. Same Princible for real life and yet you still let them play. discraceful. confused_o.gif

hmmmm imagine you open up the editor.... place a unit and then hit preview.... At that point it is a world to explore...nothing more.. This would be really fantastic for a child as long as he would understand what a cliff is and doesnt fall off.

the war part is better left for 16 and above as the rating states.

Kids could use landmarks to help navigate and mabey be able to use this in RL.

Quite the opposite tounge2.gif

In OFP I had several missions with Nogova full of civs, trucks, buses, cars, bykes, not a single weapon, no blood and not bullets. The end result was awesome for a 3yo girl biggrin_o.gif

Aww come on give kids some credit I mean it's a simulation game it's not like it's GTA. Seriously I've seen worse in documentaries and some of the things I see kids do to there plastic toy soldiers is disturbing. Seriously when I use the mission editor all I see is a way to play with digital 'toy' soldiers it reminds me of the green plastic soldiers that I used to buy from dollar tree. Seriously if I knew about OFP when it first came out 7 years ago it would've been a god-send for my ten year old self. (I'm 17 now).

Surely someone can make a mod to change the bullets to paintballs and the blood to paint to make this fun for children to watch and play with out getting scared.

A paintball or airsoft mod would be fun anyway smile_o.gif

I sorry to the one who breaks this to you guy's but there is only one way of keeping children from seeing violence or playing violent games, don't have any!

If my son want's to play a game where people is getting shot, some years from now ofcourse, I'd rather have him play arma then some of the other games arround...

besides I have played war games all my life and as far as I know, no harm done...

I just had an idea, once the proper tools is released some one who is up for it could make, like africa maps and some animals, so that the kids could go on a safari...

I know isuc as a dad but if there is one thing my kids never will get away with, it will be the ability to see a difference between fiction and reality. This makes me more concerned looking at the news with the kids around than booting up ArmA no matter artillery barrage the AI puts up.

I sorry to the one who breaks this to you guy's but there is only one way of keeping children from seeing violence or playing violent games, don't have any!

If my son want's to play a game where people is getting shot, some years from now ofcourse, I'd rather have him play arma then some of the other games arround...

besides I have played war games all my life and as far as I know, no harm done...

I just had an idea, once the proper tools is released some one who is up for it could make, like africa maps and some animals, so that the kids could go on a safari...

Exactly but there was something I never got when I was little I could watch a guy get his guts blown out in saving private ryan but if the movie had one female nipple showing I wasn't able to watch it I never understood my parents for doing that but from what I've seen I came out just fine.

My son mainly but both my deaf children nave learned so much language from OFP.

I have worked and plan on making child stuff.

ASL interpreter project

what really damages children regarding to video games is the parrents, its fine to let a child play a violent game, the parrents just need to talk to their kids about it, making sure the kid sees the game as just a game...

I like your idea. My 6y old son loves to watch me play

and often asks me "Please let me play, just for a while".

"No" I say "It´s a grownups game"...Id love to be able to

play 1 on 1 with him in some civic vehics and boats and

stuff. That would be really nice. And then my wife wouldnt

go, "No you dont...He´s not allowed" pistols.gif

All we need are some cool civilian addons and some

more animals perhaps and its a wrap....

I think it's a good idea.

Let's face it, if reality hasn't already screwed your kids head then there is nothing you can put in a game that will.

I have watched kids play this and simular games and they get bored very quickly with the "WAR" units and are quite happy driving around the island in a car or bus dropping AI dudes off at school etc.

i must warn you about children and playing.

Imagine this, coop evolution, a squad moving out with a hmmwv towards Corazol. Its time for some ass kicking.

*granQ was killed*

Leasson learn: When a 13 month old child play with your keyboard he might get "lucky" and eject you from a vehicle...

anyway, i am not sure if i am a child or not,but those "civillian missions" are fun and yeah the arma islands are beautiful to explore, sunsets and storms.

Maybe we could start a project, not a mod, just like a wiki page where we gather links and ideas for "kids friendly missions and addons". Esp missions..

yeah thats the real problem with children at computers, they disturb, my son usualy pushes my chair away, he keeps anoying me untill I let him play, he really loves this game, he actually managed to shoot down a bird yesterday... I tried to let him play some other games, then he got angry untill I put arma back on...

I don't know about you guy's but on my game cover there's no age warning...

i like civvie missions , i remeber one on ofp where you were a investigator detetive and you had to interview people over the island for clues like scooby doo, no killing just music talking and driving, cool . on the other hand my kids enjoy the creative aspect of ofp and arma placing objects in the editor , and seeing them in game , but the prefer ofp at the momment because it has more editor stuff , lego warz , 40k mod and star wars. i would be cool to be able to play on the climbing frames swings see saws ect

Bring on these teletubbies, little ponies or flying dumbo's!

Mission Briefing:

Oh-Oh!  Lala' bike is broken, now she cannot get home!

But with your help, she will find her way home!

You have find tools at the bike shop, and find lala on the Southern (nude) beach of chantico.

once you get there, you will learn how to fix a bike, and next some biology lessons.....

*hint - follow the yellow brick road, and use your compass.

use the action menu to use the Global positioning Rainbow. if all that fails, call DADDY!

- think of the possibilities! you could manipulate your kids whilst they dont even know! smoking is bad, lying is bad, breaking things is bad...

brainwash the kid with missions like 'put the trash outside' or 'bring your bike back to the shed' for extra vehicles. u could even feed them certain political or religious views.... nener.gif

// serious now -

I think its a GREAT idea, when properly worked out.