Sign in to follow this  
Heatseeker

A.i. skill.

Frustrating. Ai vs. Ai it's a toss up between who will win.

Put me as Team Leader on fourty men, and give me 120 Ofor targets,a weapon crate, an ammo crate and I can wipe out the Opfor Ai team without much grunting.

In 1.08 it has come down to controlling your forces and your proficiency with the GUI/key combinations. Ten men on your left flank, 8 men on your right flank, 4 men on your six, the rest flanking and being manuevered via commands, the right weapons and the Ai has no chance.

Sure they can flank and pop up at good locations, but half the time they pop their heads up, stay there, or don't move for a good five seconds and I make my team turn 'em into kibble.

Now for the constructive part

Three things that would make the Ai better imho are:

1. Suppressive fire.

2. Unit cohesion and proper team-based fire and move tactics(dynamic).

3. Logic in using surroundings i.e: Do I make a run for the building at 35 meters? Or do I stay hunkered down behind this big, solid rock? If I run, should I stay crouched to conceil my movement?

Half the time they make bad decisions. Or decisions that are clearly visible and predictable. It's only in Urban combat with mass numbers of troops that you really don't stand a chance against the Ai.

But that's life ATM in Armed Assault. A target is a target!  rofl.gif

Hi,

The AI in Armed Assault is hard, but in a good way. It is challenging rather than frustrating. They appear to use handgrenades and underslung grenadelauchers much more effectively than in OFP. They are also without doubt much more dangerous at night in Arma than they are in OFP, where they at times could almost trip over you when playing as a black op lying still in a bush and still not notice you.

The friendly AI is much maligned by some, but can in my opinion perform brilliantly in certain conditions, especially in ambushes and covering roles. If automatic riflemen and machinegunners are positioned correctly, they can give devastating support against enemy infantry and light vehicles. Soldiers detailed to watch particular directions are a good remedy for the limitations of the player's tunnel vision, they can give advance warning of flanking manoeuvres by the enemy. The friendly AI certainly saved me from the enemy on many occasions.

Regards,

Sander

Put me as Team Leader on fourty men, and give me 120 Ofor targets,a weapon crate, an ammo crate and I can wipe out the Opfor Ai team without much grunting.

In properly planned defence positions and good guidelines of "rules-of-engagement"... Give me a break rofl.gif

Sure if they are supposed to be just targets, then it's not problem. As they just stand there without any guidelines of what is expected them to do. Or behaves in complitely wrong way.

Hi,

The AI in Armed Assault is hard, but in a good way. It is challenging rather than frustrating. They appear to use handgrenades and underslung grenadelauchers much more effectively than in OFP. They are also without doubt much more dangerous at night in Arma than they are in OFP, where they at times could almost trip over you when playing as a black op lying still in a bush and still not notice you.

The friendly AI is much maligned by some, but can in my opinion perform brilliantly in certain conditions, especially in ambushes and covering roles. If automatic riflemen and machinegunners are positioned correctly, they can give devastating support against enemy infantry and light vehicles. Soldiers detailed to watch particular directions are a good remedy for the limitations of the player's tunnel vision, they can give advance warning of flanking manoeuvres by the enemy. The friendly AI certainly saved me from the enemy on many occasions.

Regards,

Sander

Yes they perform quite well during certain conditions as you have stated, like when I select some of them and give the order to watch certain areas they will pick off enemies trying to flank or watch 12 O clock and they will defend or attack that area effectively.

But they fail miserably at mobile combat and their corpses start to litter the area something which hardly happened in OFP, you will quickly lose a squad easily in Arma against a similar sized enemy AI contingent. The enemy AI picks off my guys easier because of their superior marksmanship. Of course I always give my team the "danger" mode but in mobile CQC they start dying off on me. Spec Ops units with suppressed M4A1 are quite good but they too take inordinate amount of casualties when u are not leading them, if Im in control I can lead a Spec Ops unit to a successful mission with no casualties.

In properly planned defence positions and good guidelines of "rules-of-engagement"... Give me a break  rofl.gif

Sure if they are supposed to be just targets, then it's not problem. As they just stand there without any guidelines of what is expected them to do. Or behaves in complitely wrong way.

Don't take this as a flame, because it's not meant that way but if you think I'm making reference to just taking pot-shots at non-mobile Ai... I can assure you I am not.

I'm talking about real Ai. You give them multiple waypoints(keeping in mind they need cover as well) a good area with good firing positions, and let the Ai[ do the rest. Not scripting in all kinds of added actions etc. Default Ai cannot outmatch a human controlled team be it human controlled lead with Ai soldiers, or definitely not a whole human controlled team.

That's default Ai. I haven't tried 6thSense's Ai manager, it looks impressive. Maybe that's better(?)(!wink_o.gif

I don't understand what you are getting at with "Rules of Engagement" in reference to my above post. If they're holding a weapon, and the opfor force is moving on your position, ROE do not apply as in "Do not fire until you are fired upon," ...if that's what you are getting at.

Default Ai cannot outmatch a human controlled team be it human controlled lead with Ai soldiers, or definitely not a whole human controlled team.

I believe they can.

Basically put a squad of 12 bots in one of those dense vegetation areas in North Sahrani and use a large placement radius on their waypoints.

Now make 12 players go find and kill this squad using simple rifles. If you dont know where they are chances are the hunters will become the hunted wink_o.gif .

Most missions arent fair.. atack here, ambush there or enemy there.

If you mix players with a.i. you will benefit from their superior detection capacity.

We have a very talented map maker in our squad, and he sets the skill of the AI in training missins a bit down, so they don't hit immidiatly. Very effective way to create human-like AI which is fun to fight against. You can get in very realistic fights with this "dumb" AI.

Hi,

In my opinion an enemy infantry squad with the squad leader set to high skill level and his underlings set to lower skill levels give the best results as opponents for a mission. It makes their commander give better commands to the squad (I get the impression such a leader orders his men to manoeuvre much more frequently), but does not transform all the troops into matchless marksmen with a disconcertingly high hit probability on their very first shot.

Regards,

Sander

@misterXY and sander

Could you post like how high you set them i am guesing the squadleader to 1 but what about the other troops.

Out in the open the A.I does a pretty good job when it's fighting across fields, woodlands and at a distance.

(slightly off topic - maybe)

But as we all know it's frankly terrible at CQB especially in the towns. What I don't get is that why BIS included large cities but didn't overhall the close city fighting abilities of the A.I. I suppose it may have been too demanding on the CPU?

If ArmA had A.I. on par with CQB titles such as FEAR and Farcry (I've heard good things about these titles - although their AI is largly scripted and BIS games need something dynamic). I don't think I'd ever have to buy another ground sim again biggrin_o.gif

It's probably impossible for ArmA but for Game 2, the enemy A.I.  really need an overhaul for inner-city fighting:

Being able to effectivley use cover: corner of buildings, peeking and firing, inside buildings - kneeling and firing out of windows, being able to strafe while covering a team-mate or moving to cover. Being subjected to and using suppression, etc...

I haven't read all the replies so sorry if this has all been said before.

Don't get me wrong, I like hard AI and don't want to be able to take on a whole town etc but I can find the AI frustrating in certain situations.

For example if I open fire on a group of enemies that aren't looking at me, they seem to be able to know exactly where I am and where they should point their rifle before they've even turned around, I don't know if I'm just not that good at tagging enemies but it takes me at least 2-3+ seconds to bring my weapon up to my eye, line up an enemy and open fire at medium distances.

My other main problems are with trying to be covert, for example if there is a group of enemies and one member is either at the back of the formation or somewhere else out of eye/ear range, if I kill them then every other member of his group will suddenly be aware that they're dead, and where they were when they died.

Then they also seem to always know where I am when I set off a Satchel Charge, even if I'm not in the direct area and am out of sight.

I seem to remember someone here writing a script that would place a flag where the AI believed your position to be. I guess that you could use that to test your theory on satchel charges. Could whoever wrote this please take a bow and take credit where credit is due? notworthy.gif

I say hard but It's hard to find a true comparable and universal equalibrium.. it's like.. im 30 and patient and have common sense.. some people are 12 and suck and are impatient and have no common sense..lol.. so if it's hard to me, it's absolutley terrifying to them lol.. line up 50 shikas on me I'll dodge their shots until my gas runs out.. unless i get cocky..lol.. "which happens" tounge2.gif

but the ai are hard.. unreasonably hard when it comes to foot soliders.. armor vs aircraft, i like it.. radar gives advanced warning of approaching aircraft so they should know im coming.. and i can be 1k away from a target, drop behind a hill, pop up and bam, no more target.. i can use every hellfire like that so i feel in no way is it uneven with air combat.. if they didnt shoot at me the second I came into range then I'd be dissapointed, I'd barrel through them all like a joke. I do that anyway now..

if you can't fly.. practice.. tell me whan your doing 600 mph 30 feet from the ground or less, inverted. then you can fly..

same thing with the chopper except 10 feet at 300 mph and not inverted..lol.

Ai should not shoot me in the eye after I shoot one shot..doesnt matter if their behind a building or their back is to me, or their missing both eyes.. they turn and shoot u right in the eye..lol..

AK 47's are not accurate weapons..lol.. the bullet tumbles out head over feet so to speak and it throws off the trajectory.. it's meant to take chunks out of people and injure them making more soliders remove the injured solider form the field.. it's not a sniper rifle..lol..

AK 47's are not accurate weapons..lol.. the bullet tumbles out head over feet so to speak and it throws off the trajectory.. it's meant to take chunks out of people and injure them making more soliders remove the injured solider form the field.. it's not a sniper rifle..lol..

I always liked this slow-motion film comparing an M16 and

an AK47 firing (the AK47 flexes and bends like a...a...flexing

bending thing):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0

Yes, I know it's technically an AK74 in the game (same old

Kalashnikov rubbish though)

ps. If you want to buy an AK here's your chance (joke film):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H_3BWv3FYg0

i said frustrating. not cause they're AI is spot on, but because they're total morons with superhuman detection and long-range accuracy. a couple of incidents i came across when playing the campaign:

Mission 'direct hit'

i went straight for the second objective, Crawled up to the Mi-17 parked there, climbed in, started the engines, watched a whole enemy squad walked calmly past my nose, took off, destroyed the first objective, ended mission.

Mission: 'Sabotage/Construction Convoy'

laid the Sat charges in the town, hid behind some rocks at least 150m to the north of the road, set them off when the convoy rolled through, and about five seconds later (without firing a single shot or moving from my location) i got my head blown off by a BMP sitting on the road.

Mission: 'Night Patrol/Ammunition Dumps'

Shot all sabouteurs, and then spent the then next ten minutes waiting. and waiting. finally got bored, went looking, and found a US guard standing on top of a wounded sabouteur (who i thought i had killed) both guns drawn, staring at each other, and had been since i shot him ten minutes before.

i don't think any of these kinds of things happened with OFP, though one thing sorta remains - the AI really has trouble with up-close fighting. coming across an enemy soldier when you turn a corner isn't the panic-inducing event it should be - it's pretty easy to dispatch a troop, due to the AI really having trouble firing at someone so close.

long ranges, however...

The main change I would like to see is rather simple: Make the AI shoot more but also less accurate. This would at least give warning to skilled players who are prepared for engagement but not have every enemy be a crack shot.

As for their general behavior they are pretty easy. Mainly because they don't take effective cover. There are some nice scripts out there that make them do some brilliant things however so I don;t really think much needs changing other than my suggestion above.

I always liked this slow-motion film comparing an M16 and

an AK47 firing (the AK47 flexes and bends like a...a...flexing

bending thing):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0

Yes, I know it's technically an AK74 in the game (same old

Kalashnikov rubbish though)

ps. If you want to buy an AK here's your chance (joke film):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H_3BWv3FYg0

Firstly, that quote is just ignorant garbage, the bullet from the AK does not tumble, if it did it would be in breech of the Geneva Convention and Hague Convention as a form of Dum Dum round. The round is not meant to injure, the round is meant to kill at close to intermediate ranges, it really is as simple as that. If you were to make any argument you would have to say that 5.56 NATO is designed to injure rather than kill, but even that’s still stretching reality.

The AK is accurate enough and very reliable. Calling it rubbish simply shows your arrogant belief in the superiority of western weapons. There are reasons the AK is the most common and most popular assault rifle in the world. It doesn't just come down to accuracy, but even then, the AK is far more accurate than most firers are capable of achieving, particularly under battle conditions and at common engagement ranges.

The AK74 is a decidedly different animal to the AK47 anyway, this is mainly because it fires a significantly lighter round, being the 5.45x39mm as opposed to 7.62 short. Its ballistic properties are akin to, and quite comparable to, the apparently oh-so-great 5.56 NATO round. The design of the AK74 is actually better for applying rapid fire than most western rifles particularly due to its muzzle brake. It’s also considered to be significantly more robust and resistant to the elements. Both are capable of shooting in the 3-2 MOA range off the shelf. The main short coming of the AK design has always been its old fashioned sights.

When you consider where and how most of the worlds AK47's are manufactured it’s a wonder that they fire at all, it truly is a credit to the design of the weapon that it works so well when manufactured so poorly.

Don't believe our own propaganda mate, that’s a terrible mistake.

Quote[/b] ]When you consider where and how most of the worlds AK47's are manufactured it’s a wonder that they fire at all, it truly is a credit to the design of the weapon that it works so well when manufactured so poorly.

But isn't that the beauty of the AK, easy/cheap to manufacture and very dependable/durable with the least amount of maintenance. The video basically hit the nail on the head, the AK is essentially a very portable machine gun. When a squad can lay down a devastating amount of lead onto a target, exact pinpoint accuracy really doesn't matter much. Regarding western rifles, I think that the west is a bit in the wrong direction with very technical rifles. Nice tech, but what good is a jammed masterpiece of technology in the middle of a fire fight.

Interesting thread.

Without better usage of terrain, taking cover everytime it's necessary, and for the necessary ammount of time, leaning&checking what's behind the corner, cqc tactics/movements,laying/taking suppressive fire - easy.

Taking under consideration some things others mentioned, and using the extra stuff like:

second's suppression scripts

UPS

grouplink (newest)

NonWonderDog's ballistics

veteran/AI skills set on 1/accuracy on about 0.8,

and config settings (camuflage, sensitivity, CfgAISkill) increased...

it's almost hard (in a good way). Can you imagine how kick azz it would be with all that missing stuff?

Frustrating:

1) They are easy enough to outsmart, BUT they can see you and pinpoint your exact location, then shoot you through a wall or bush or something.

2) The AI that are on your side are equally as stupid, therefore you end up pretty much on your own, and although u can outsmart some, the AI will still pinpoint and shoot you from distance and through objects

So i believe that the AI need to be smarter, AND more realistic, so dont have them running down open streets towards you aimlessly, make them suppress and be suppressed etc. And dont have them shoot you from extreme distances where its near impossible for you to do the same.

My two pence