Sign in to follow this  
gmJamez

SightAdjustment (windage+elevation)

Could somebody please post a version of this mod with all the updates that have been talked about?

Which version of the mod goes with that range card?

Could somebody please post a version of this mod with all the updates that have been talked about?

Hi smile_o.gif

The SightAdjustment v.0.2 is the last and can be found at the page 1. And the Range Card from Bob.Moore are for version 0.2.

But the are still some bugs thats i hope gmJamez will soon release. So if u look at page 5 and 7 you will find some bugs that i can't see has been included. But u can simple do it by your self... Not sure if i' gonna release the fix i have, I maybe need permission from gmJamez i think to do that. smile_o.gif

Cheers

Another interesting addon smile_o.gif things are generally looking up from a realism POV.

What form will the range card eventually take? Is it possible to have it as a small card on the map screen? Only needs to be not much bigger than the actual text.

Another interesting addon smile_o.gif things are generally looking up from a realism POV.

What form will the range card eventually take? Is it possible to have it as a small card on the map screen? Only needs to be not much bigger than the actual text.

Hi again smile_o.gif

Not sure yet.. but i have suggested earlier to maybe try to put the range card into the game. But i'm not really sure how. I read in another topic, it's maybe put it into the Radio and call it as a table in front of you or somthing.

I'm sure someone will find a solution for this smile_o.gif

Now i have it on my other screen, he he

Other write it down or print it out, he he

I also use mil dot system to figured out the distance to the enemy and calculator, he he

Hm... has the weather(wind) an impact? Could there be a skilled AI (new) unit - "spotter"? Maybe some more good sniper & training mission's... imho only few guys do know about stealth, observation, to exercise patience and finally one shoot & hit. Then again stealth movement (out).

Hm... has the weather(wind) an impact? Could there be a skilled AI (new) unit - "spotter"? Maybe some more good sniper & training mission's... imho only few guys do know about stealth, observation, to exercise patience and finally one shoot & hit. Then again stealth movement (out).

To aid me with my smoke effects development I had the current windspeed displayed onscreen. It shouldn't be outside the wit of man to have some sort of action/radio message whatever to get the windspeed at the time of asking. Same thing for wind direction also, although I didn't need direction it can be easily worked out probably.

@DMarkwick

You are right about that wind speed. I have an sniperspotterexamples, not sure who have made that mission with wind speed info and lot more usefully info for spotter/sniper. That info stay on the left corner of the screen all the time, and u can see the wind speed change and direction. Maybe that is an solution to add to any sniper/spotter addon in future if the wind in ArmA have any impact of the bullet? ?

Some info from the script:

Quote[/b] ]

; snipespotter.sqs by seven

; Terms Of Use: You may distribute this material freely. This material is not to be sold for profit. You may use or modify this material as long as the original credits are ; not removed or modified and that you use these free works at your own risk of any event.

; By using this material you agree to the the above terms.

;

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

;

; A QUICK NOTE: I have no idea if the weather has any effect on ballistics, but I have included it since this is data that actual snipers use.

;

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

;

; SCRIPT INFO

;

; WIND HEADING - direction of the wind (shown in degrees and compass direction)

;

; WIND SPEED - speed of the wind

;

; OVERCAST - displays how much cloud cover is obscuring the sunlight

;

; PECIPITATION - displays how much rain is in the air

;

; VISIBILITY - visibility detemines at what distance the ability to cleary see objects degrades, NOT the distance it can be seen from. this measurement is fairly accurate.

;

; RANGED@ - the distance which a weapon is ranged at. if the rifle is ranged at 300m then the bullet will hit the center of the crosshairs at this range. any further and ; the bullet will drop below the center, any closer and ythe bullet will hit above the center.

;

; EFFECTIVE - the effective range of the weapon. accuracy is reduced substantially beyond this range.

;

; TGTDIST - distance to the target

;

; TGTSPEED - speed the target is moving at

;

; TGTHEADING - the direction of the target (shown in degrees and compass direction)

;

; BALLISTIC LAG - an approximation of how long it will take you bullet to hit it's assigned target, very useful for moving targets. should be accurate down to 1/10 sec.

;

;

@DMarkwick

You are right about that wind speed. I have an sniperspotterexamples, not sure who have made that mission with wind speed info and lot more usefully info for spotter/sniper. That info stay on the left corner of the screen all the time, and u can see the wind speed change and direction. Maybe that is an solution to add to any sniper/spotter addon in future if the wind in ArmA have any impact of the bullet? ?

*snip*

Sounds interesting smile_o.gif might be nice to code that into this addon as an action, available only in ironsights/scoped mode. I think only wind direction & speed would be necessary though, as they're the only things you cannot estimate visually. smile_o.gif

...you need something (spotter-addon?) that should inform you about possible threat and detection. That shouldn't be visual more with voices like... *you know wink_o.gif

@DMarkwick

*snip*

Sounds interesting smile_o.gif might be nice to code that into this addon as an action, available only in ironsights/scoped mode. I think only wind direction & speed would be necessary though, as they're the only things you cannot estimate visually. smile_o.gif

Yeah... sounds interesting smile_o.gif Would be a really handy info for a sniper or spotter smile_o.gif

I've added a link to a new version to the first post - 0.3beta.

It's considered beta mainly because the ingame-range card feature is about halfway done and I'd like to include that into 0.3 later on.

enjoy smile_o.gif

thx for the hardworking, hats down to you all smile_o.gif

Hi smile_o.gif

The SightAdjustment v.0.2 is the last and can be found at the page 1. And the Range Card from Bob.Moore are for version 0.2.

But the are still some bugs thats i hope gmJamez will soon release. So if u look at page 5 and 7 you will find some bugs that i can't see has been included. But u can simple do it by your self... Not sure if i' gonna release the fix i have, I maybe need permission from gmJamez i think to do that. smile_o.gif

Cheers

ahh, Brilliant. Thanks Maximus. And thanks gmJamez too for updating to v3.

Thanks again for all the hard work you guys have put into this. I never play ArmA without it. notworthy.gif

It's considered beta mainly because the ingame-range card feature is about halfway done and I'd like to include that into 0.3 later on.

enjoy smile_o.gif

i tryed the beta and it appears an error when arma starts.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Script GMJ_SigntAdjustment\Scripts\SigntAdjustmentInit.sqf not found

enjoy smile_o.gif

i tryed the beta and it appears an error when arma starts.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Script GMJ_SigntAdjustment\Scripts\SigntAdjustmentInit.sqf not found

Hi smile_o.gif

U need to change the name of the pbo file from GMJ_SightAdjustment_03b.pbo to GMJ_SightAdjustment.pbo

Than it works smile_o.gif

Cheers

Anyone got this mod working with XAM 1.3?

If so, how? Because once you've used this mod, there is no going back.

Great Mod gmJamez!!! thumbs-up.gif

Same here this is the best addon ever released in my opinion, the ability to take real-world knowledge and apply it ingame is just great. If we could figure out a way to make it work with XAM 1.3 that would be the greatest notworthy.gif

Tank you gmJamez, This is a great ADDON that add lot of realism in Arma.

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

- I've make a Range Card (M24) with 0.2 version (will share it), should i make another one for the 0.3 version ?

- I try it with a AT M136 but i doesn't see any change. This would be great if your addon can correct the sight elevation of the M134 !

- I can't use it in the mission EvolutionSP. loading a saved game give a me CTD.

and thanks again for my first 'arma must-have addon' !

I dont think wind affects the bullets in arma (please prove me wrong! ).

You can experience that your bullets are falling left or right, but thats because you arent perfectly horisontal. This is from OFP and is still in Arma.

Explanation:

If you are laying flat (on the runway) your bullets will be centered.

If you are laying on a slope and aiming along that slope (not up nor down the slope) your body (model) will have the same angel as the slope. Then your scope will be moved relative to the muzzle and the bullets trajectory will be to the left or the right depending of to what side you are tilted.

In real life you will have your rifle and scope horisontal, but the arma model doesnt do that. You will still see the sightpicture as if the rifle was perfectly vertically aligned as you cant tilt the view (do a roll and you see that...). So what you see is not according to armas "reality"..

This is only when you are laying down! If you kneel or stand up when aiming along a slope the bullettrajectory will be centered with the scope as the rifle and scope is vertically aligned.

Test it yourself. Find a steep slope, lay down. Aim up or down -> centered shots. Aim along the slope -> shots to the right or left. Kneel -> all shots centered.

EDIT: I havent played enough arma... I tested this and to my surprise and joy; the rifle was always perfectly aligned vertically! smile_o.gif

I think, unless I'm reading the value wrong, that all the dispersion values in ArmA are about 2x too high. I'm currently looking into this, but it does seem a bit too hard to hit a 500 meter target with an M16 by default.

That's because you are not a "rifleman"

A meter is equal to 3.82 feet so 500m is 1910' or just shy of a half mile. If you could hit that target and should be an instructor for the "AQT"

The "AQT" is the army qualification test, The test you must pass to become a riflemen, A riflemen can consistantly hit a man size target out to 500yards. That sounds easy right?

To really get a grip on what it is im saying try this at home. Take a postage stamp or any item about an inch sqaure. Go outside and place this item 82' or 25yards away. Now take a look at this item at this distance,what u see is a man size torso at only 400y or for you snipers its a head shot at 250y.

Put that item in camo and try to see it in the grass of your yard, good luck!

If you have access to firearms, go to a range and just try to even come close to hitting that 1" square target at 82'.To be "effective" you have to hit that target 3x. Thru ironsights -

ghostring or otherwise at even that distance its a real challenge to even hit once. Hell I'll give you a scope and let you shoot off the bench and I'll still bet you couldn't hit it!

So what im getting at is, first have to understand is being able to hit a "man" size target thru ironsights at that kind of yardage is like saying How come I'm not superman with a rifle!

On M16 or "AR" platform rifles,the battlesights are set/calibrated using MOA, using a formula known as "inches/miniutes/clicks"

"Windage" is the horizontal setting of a sight that is set during the "zeroing" process of the rifle,which is taking into acount the way you hold/sight the firearm not the wind.

If you have read this far into the thread I'm thinkin its time you went to a range and learned how to shoot! Its the only sport endorsed by the American forefathers,and there's nothing like live ammo!

here's a range card I made for the m-107 with stock arma before this mod. I determined range by setting a waypoint at the target in this case a standing man on even ground. recoded the apparent mils and then determined holdover by observing impact. the bullet drop and moa comp where determined using "math" I use the ""s because it's a subject I'm notoriously bad at. so the numbers might need checking. like wise those numbers are "in game" because the arma mil-dot reticle was used for the basis of the calculation. the mil-dot formula works if you use a target height of 2.2m

I have the numbers for the m-24 just haven't made the card yet.

l_fc85170d8c5dc6fef1f8c572d2237635.jpg

If anyone would like some code to display windage info I made a script, call it from a radio trigger (set to repeatedly) for simplest use. Or I might try & learn how to make an add action addon which always gives you the action.

You will get text in the top left of the screen displaying wind direction (both degrees and compass desc.) and wind strength.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">//DM's script to ascertain wind strength & direction, for use with wind & elevation mods

_DirectionText = "";

_WindDirectionDegrees = 0;

_wind = wind;

_WindDirectionDegrees = ((_wind select 0) atan2 (_wind select 1));

_WindDirectionDegrees = (_WindDirectionDegrees *100);

_WindDirectionDegrees = (round _WindDirectionDegrees);

_WindDirectionDegrees = (_WindDirectionDegrees /100);

if (_WindDirectionDegrees < 0) then

{

_WindDirectionDegrees = (_WindDirectionDegrees * -1);

_WindDirectionDegrees2 = _WindDirectionDegrees;

_WindDirectionDegrees = (180 + (180 - _WindDirectionDegrees2));

};

_WindStrength = (SQRT((_wind select 0)^2 + (_wind select 1)^2));

_WindStrength = (_WindStrength *100);

_WindStrength = (round _WindStrength);

_WindStrength = (_WindStrength /100);

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 348.75) or (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 11.25)) then

{_DirectionText = "north";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 11.25) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 33.75)) then

{_DirectionText = "north-north-east";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees >33.75) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 56.25)) then

{_DirectionText = "north-east";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 56.25) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 78.75)) then

{_DirectionText = "east-north-east";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 78.75) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 101.25)) then

{_DirectionText = "east";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 101.25) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 123.75)) then

{_DirectionText = "east-south-east";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 123.75) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 146.25)) then

{_DirectionText = "south-east";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 146.25) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 168.75)) then

{_DirectionText = "south-south-east";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 168.75) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 191.25)) then

{_DirectionText = "south";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 191.25) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 213.75)) then

{_DirectionText = "south-south-west";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 213.75) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 236.25)) then

{_DirectionText = "south-west";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 236.25) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 258.75)) then

{_DirectionText = "west-south-west";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 258.75) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 281.25)) then

{_DirectionText = "west";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 281.25) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 303.75)) then

{_DirectionText = "west-north-west";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 303.75) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 326.25)) then

{_DirectionText = "north-west";};

if ((_WindDirectionDegrees > 326.25) and (_WindDirectionDegrees <= 348.75)) then

{_DirectionText = "north-north-west";};

hint format ["Wind strength = %1 m/s. Wind direction = %2 degrees (%3).", _WindStrength, _WindDirectionDegrees,

_DirectionText];

*edit*

For lazy b******** here is the file itself wink_o.gif

*edit 2*

Changed script slightly to display more correct compass descriptions (e.g. "south-west-west" to "west-south-west").