Sign in to follow this  
MeNeZ

3 point sling?

Just a thought... whistle.gif

It takes long for the animation to put the rifle on your back when changing weapons or climbing a ladder for example.

If I was in the armed forces I would definitely use a 3-point sling because you can literally drop your gun and whip out the sidearm or basically free up both hands in an instant...as opposed to putting the rifle on your shoulder/back.... Sloooow

Wouldnt you guys prefer something a bit quicker? - Not too mention how cool 3 points slings look lol

That would be definitely cool. I dont care much how it looks but we need the soldiers to pull out an AT weapon or a sidearm faster. By the way, when a standing soldier pulls out his binos, the gun does hang in front of him.

I'am much more curious about the fact that you can't holster your handgun...but A.I. can.

Exactly!!!!!  biggrin_o.gif

http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3pvy8.jpg

Also, have you noticed that if you have your AT out and switch to binos and switch back to AT, the character actually puts the binos AND the AT away and switches to the rifle :/

Um, maybe thats another thread lol

That's quite a feat of dexterity in reality anyway isn't it? 15

lbs of live AT4 on your shoulder, then you whip out your

binos with one hand? wink_o.gif

But the thing is, the player model does do it...

Crouched on one knee looking at the target with the M136 perched on the right shoulder. Then if you press "b" he takes out the binos with his left hand then puts it back again...

And instead of putting his left hand back on the launcher, he puts the launcher away and takes out the rifle...without instruction

If he can take it out and use it in AT mode, why not be able to put it back again and carry on from the previous pose?

My point is, I have often seen a distant target next to a tree or building for example in scoped mode but with the iron sight at distance, the target is a bit difficult to see correctly.

Hence the need to confirm with the binos, one last look. AND then he switches to the rifle which I would then have to switch BACK to the AT launcher which I had originally!

Ah, I see your point. Bit of a mess that is, indeed. The

wacky BIS anim transitions strike again huh.gif

when I switch from AT to say rifle , I normally just go to toilet or get some snacks or whatever welcome.gifwelcome.gifwelcome.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

-Puma-, that's exactly what I do when I've pressed Z and started to wait for my character to stop sprinting and go prone wow_o.gif

It is one of the few cool animations when ur soldier pulls out binocs with AT on shoulder and then when he puts it away banghead.gif

Another stupidity regarding binocs. Please please let the soldier move with binocs up. At no point should a soldiers boots be glued to the ground....that is just DAFT

Apparently the 3 point slings have their disadvantages too. Firing while prone is said to be an ordeal.

It depends on the sling, really, and on how tight they're adjusted. If it's tightened to where the weapon will be slung across the chest, then yeah, you'll probably have problems, that's why the best best is to just have it so the weapon falls to your side.

If I was in the armed forces I would definitely use a 3-point sling because you can literally drop your gun and whip out the sidearm or basically free up both hands in an instant...as opposed to putting the rifle on your shoulder/back.... Sloooow

Actually, you would more likely use exactly what you are told/allowed to use.

While some services may be tolerant of improvisation and field modifications, not all of them are. You certainly aren't going to have much luck if you decide to swap out the sling while you aren't deployed. Imagine lining up for inspection, and you are the only guy with a non-issue sling -- you are going to be scrubbing toilets for weeks.

Having said that, I agree with you about the sling. I've got a couple of rifles, and all but my precision rifle have some form of three-point sling.

Apparently the 3 point slings have their disadvantages too. Firing while prone is said to be an ordeal.

The best thing about the 3 point sling is that the rifle is tight on your chest at all times. There is a little clip which when depressed drops the rifle along side your right hip and under your armpit.

When depressed, the rifle is loose and you can move it around as you please and go prone wink_o.gif

I will post pics tomorrow

Apparently the 3 point slings have their disadvantages too.  Firing while prone is said to be an ordeal.

The current state of the art in tactical slings is the blue force gear Vickers Tactical adjustible two point sling. Thats what I run on my rifles.

Three point slings are a mess and tangle in everything. Single point slings are great for transitions if worn for only a short time but wear you out.

there is a 3 point looking animation in arma. look at the primary weapon position on the passenger on the dirtbike.

now... i agree and would love to see this.

The current state of the art in tactical slings is the blue force gear Vickers Tactical adjustible two point sling. Thats what I run on my rifles.

Three point slings are a mess and tangle in everything. Single point slings are great for transitions if worn for only a short time but wear you out.

Theres also that other little clip/sling strap type thing which is only about 3 inches long and clips onto your shoulder on the tacvest. That one is pretty cool too

Unnecessary, as when you start in the relaxed position with no weapon chosen, then you choose your Rifle, it is VERY fast....

The only thing that is slow is SWITCHING from rifle to rocket.....

thats it....next topic.

Theres also that other little clip/sling strap type thing which is only about 3 inches long and clips onto your shoulder on the tacvest. That one is pretty cool too

3 pint sling...icky...yuck....no way. Actually, as a combat sling I hate anything that wraps around my body.

I almost run completely 1 point slings attached by clips. I have the male end of the clip on a 3 inch strap off my weapon...and the female end attached to an adjustable Molle panel on my vest. if I'm not wearing my vest I have a sling loop with another female end attached to that. It's the only sling I will use. I also ran around Iraq for the longest time with no sling at all. It works. I like to keep my stuff flexable...and immediately detachable in an emergency.

Respek*

Straight from the horses mouth biggrin_o.gif Whats that clip/sling called? I was trying to explain that in my previous post lol

That would definitely be more ideal.

In your opinion as a soldier, how do feel about putting the rifle on "your" back when doing actions?

Also, it kind of sux the way you cant walk when reloading or using binos...might have to make another thread lol whistle.gif

Unnecessary, as when you start in the relaxed position with no weapon chosen, then you choose your Rifle, it is VERY fast....

The only thing that is slow is SWITCHING from rifle to rocket.....

thats it....next topic.

The pistol to weapon anim is even slower i think :O Drives me insane!

Yeah, especially when you change to it by mistake lol and are in a rush. Obviously you cant move when you're doing an action for some reason(Concentrating?) and are a sitting duck.

Yes, I know...you should always change mags or weapons behind cover but if you're compromised in this game then your stuck like a deer in headlights.

Plus, it would be cool if when changing to the sidearm; the character would just drop his rifle (Its is on his chest snug) and immediately reach for the 9mm in one movement. Drop, reach and aim. Should take about 2 seconds to complete imo. Could save your life one day wink_o.gif

I have never used the pistol because its such a slow animation.

My idea of the sidearm is that it should be used if your main weapon is jammed or out of ammo and in those situations you normally have to change quickly to drop a target or to protect you until your in cover.

If its so slow then its useless.

Respek*

Straight from the horses mouth biggrin_o.gif Whats that clip/sling called? I was trying to explain that in my previous post lol

That would definitely be more ideal.

In your opinion as a soldier, how do feel about putting the rifle on "your" back when doing actions?

Also, it kind of sux the way you cant walk when reloading or using binos...might have to make another thread lol whistle.gif

We just always called it a one point sling. If there is any other names for it, then I haven't heard.

I'd never chow sling (put it on my back) during combat. If I need both hands to work on something, I'd detach the weapon from my one point and lean it up against something next to me, so I can grab it quick if I need to. Probably not doable in game, but that's how I work in the real world. The only real purpose of a one point sling is so if I end up going down and someone has to drag me of the battlefield quickly, my weapon will drag with me...that's it. The biggest problem I have with tactical slings, such as a 3 point, is that you can't effectively transition between right shoulder firing and left shoulder, which is a necessity at times.