Sign in to follow this  
chris330

Can anyone recommend any good MMOG's

Hi,

As the topic title says can anyone recommend any good online MMOG's other than Battleground Europe (I already play that one).

Thanks, thought you chaps would have some good info on this one smile_o.gif

Planetside is without a doubt a game you should try if you like Ofp ArmA. You will get owned to begin with but stick at it and you can be doing the owning. What's unique about PS is that it is skills based combat so a lower level char is on even terms with a high level char. Google for it.

I'm downloading it now, thanks chaps smile_o.gif

*Edit*

When trying to login it says that they cannot consume an account key at this time. Anyone know what that means?

sadly PlanetSide is outdated, buggy and SOE drag it to misery

upcoming Tabula Rasa and Huxley ...

You can sign for TS beta already (in progress) ...

anyway from MMOFPS point of view it's bad ...

same goes for qualite MMORPG la Oblivion/TwoWorlds/Gothic3/Mount&Blade ...

with action style of gameplay ...

everything on market seems to be too weird or boring ...

if anyone knows great MMO say (WoW,EvE no need to mention)

I'm downloading it now, thanks chaps smile_o.gif

*Edit*

When trying to login it says that they cannot consume an account key at this time. Anyone know what that means?

They cancelled the free trail but are reactivating it in a few weeks. The game is buggy and 4 years old but don't let that put you off. Its all player vs player too, so no going up against AI, NPC's.

Did I mention the biggest battles in a game 400 players per continent/map. I will be honest there are bugs but they are very tolerable.

You can play a multitude of roles from invisble cloaker that does sabotage missions on enemy generators and spawn rooms to deny enemy repsawn and vehicle facilities. grunting with heavy weapons, tanks, giant walkers, aircraft (dog fighting, bombing and the Galaxy dropship that drops 15 troops on a target.

Its awesome and is probably the only game that comes close to the scale or ArmA.

Be warned you will die alot to begin with as there is a lot to take in at first. But like i said stick with it and get into an outfit and you will have an enjoyable time.

What ever you do don't play WoW it will take your life away.

I took part in the "Reserves" program that let you play Planetside for a year for free. Must say I loved it, it's a pity that SOE didn't continue the reserves program, unlike other MMOGs which have started as pay-to-play only and then have let free participation with limits be part of the game, like Anarchy Online, which has the base game and first expansion for free, but some more advanced expansions are only available for play. The sheer feeling of participating in a siege in Planetside is awesome indeed. Anarchy Online is a nice MMORPG, looking also a bit dated but nice to play, relatively simple, and you're bound to find lots of people playing it online. I've had some experience in Project:Entropia, also a free MMORPG, but the fact that one can't really take off without injecting cash into it (yeah, just like Second Life, Project: Entropia has it's own currency with a fixed rate bound to the dollar) made me drop it after some time in favour of Anarchy Online...

Guest Ti0n3r
What ever you do don't play WoW it will take your life away.

Word. I've seen at least 5 friends get stuck in that shit. I took them years to get out of it crazy_o.gif

Indeed, my classmates bought the expansion the first day it came so they could increase their level to 70 tounge2.gif

WoW is nerdish, I never got into it, but probably since my computer is not the best.

Played some other Warcraft games, but the gameplay is not my style anyways...

Not sure if it is to your liking but have you tried Guild wars?

http://www.guildwars.com/

Kind of a fast paced RPG with big focus on player skill over grind stuff.  

In Pve you get big world, decent story and the like.  It uses whats called instances which create a version of an explorable area for you and your party so you can't get stuff stolen and such.  You get your party at outpost like places where everyone can met.  The whole games kinda boxed in abit though but its a big game.

Also you can play the whole game by yourself as you can use customized hired NPC's which you can equip and stuff.  

The PvP is where the money is at though, every month they have a $10,000 US dollar built in tournament system(you play from your home pc).  You earn points through out the month and the teams with the highest at the end go into round robin type stuff.  And it's not just for teams, 10k prizes for you + 3 ai guys which battle others with the same.  And if you are wondering about having to grind up to get a character good enough to get in... fear not you can make a lvl20(max level) one right from the get go, with the same armor level, weapon damage ect as everyone else. The key is on balance.

The devs are very active and update the game with decent updates quite often.  Also they are VERY active on fan forums, with like two placebo's helping and such.  The game engine is great, looks good even at 2 years old and runs on very well on my friends 666 MHz CPU!  The best part about GW is though that there are NO monthly fees.  Buy it once way you go smile_o.gif.

http://www.guildwars.com/gallery/screenshots/

The devs are the same ones who made diablo (ex Blizzard).  But yeah, pretty sure they have free trails so have a go and see if you like it.  Guild wars is the sort of game, like Arma that you either really like or don't wink_o.gif

P.S GW2 is out 2008-09 which drops the full instance system and has open worlds as well.  Again it's a no monthly fee's game.  But yeah, try it, it has been the most polished game(in terms of bug free, gameplay, graphics, pc req ect) I have tried thus far smile_o.gif

World of Warcraft -- > Much PvE (Player vs Enviroment) Content and latetly more PvP (Player vs Player) content I guess everybody knows about it. It's not too difficult and is rather based on time than on skill.

Guild Wars -- > Skill based MMORPG with weak PvE but great PvP content. And you don't have to pay each month, they finance the whole system by publishing addons (which you don't need btw).

Lord of the Rings: Online --> Very PvE orientated content with many, great ideas and a bit PvP. Nice graphics and funny extras like playing guitarr.

It just has to grow a bit in geological terms, because there are not enough zones available. But with the LotR licence a change ins just a matter of time. The Shire is the best enviroment I've seen so far in an MMORPG.

EVE Online -- > Don't know much about it, SF MMO which seems to be quite complex. I played the trial for 3 hours and then quit.

I also own and played Guild Wars, still have it installed but haven't played in a while (ArmA & WoE... inlove.gif ) and having first been used to Project Entropia I was kind of disappointed since not the whole scenario contains "everybody possible", and the cities/outposts are able to be real lagfests, though it is possible to choose a different server, so it's not too critical, though I must say I was VERY dismayed by that... since Multiplayer should be GuildWars' strength, though mostly the game is set for only a limited number of players, which sucks... Parties are also not unlimited... I must say I prefer the ability to roam in a world where everybody can be everywhere and se everybody else there at the same too... Anarchy Online seems to be my current poison in that area... smile_o.gif

EVE Online - now that must be a cool game, though I also read alot about it being somewhat very complex... Still waiting for an MMO Space Fighter game, something like Planetside but for Space Fighters... now THAT would be AWESOME! Anybody know of any such game?

BUZZARD @ July 20 2007,17:06)]I also own and played Guild Wars, still have it installed but haven't played in a while (ArmA & WoE... inlove.gif ) and having first been used to Project Entropia I was kind of disappointed since not the whole scenario contains "everybody possible", and the cities/outposts are able to be real lagfests, though it is possible to choose a different server, so it's not too critical, though I must say I was VERY dismayed by that... since Multiplayer should be GuildWars' strength, though mostly the game is set for only a limited number of players, which sucks... Parties are also not unlimited... I must say I prefer the ability to roam in a world where everybody can be everywhere and se everybody else there at the same too... Anarchy Online seems to be my current poison in that area... smile_o.gif

EVE Online - now that must be a cool game, though I also read alot about it being somewhat very complex... Still waiting for an MMO Space Fighter game, something like Planetside but for Space Fighters... now THAT would be AWESOME! Anybody know of any such game?

Well, you can play Freelancer in MP :P

There are still rumours about about a possible X-Online, which would be really, really great smile_o.gif

EvE is not simulator in sense of realtime combat, newtonian physics and objects colisions ...

for that You either need wait for

JumpGate - Evolution, http://www.jumpgate-evolution.com/

this is re-do of old MMO JumpGate with new visual and technology facelift and

mostlikely content expansion to match up with todays MMOs like EvE

or

Infinity: The Quest for Earth, http://www.fl-tw.com/Infinity/

imagine EvE , multiply 65535 times and You get Infinity size

both i doubt get out before next year while Infinity maybe in 2009

btw. if You are good artist either 2D art or 3D modeller, sound and music guy etc.

then You can get Your work into Infinity, it's community built game, tons of ships are done by external fans...

this is outdated (aka there is way more ships and objects now) list

http://www.fl-tw.com/Betelge....ig.html

this is outdated (aka there is way more ships and objects now) list

http://www.fl-tw.com/Betelge....ig.html

Lol, someone really put the Nimitz in an almost unchanged form there... Kinda reminds me of "Space Battleship Yamato"...

But I think neither JumpGate nor Infinity will be free, right? Anybody know of any such games but free? I mean, I heard of Microsoft Allegiance, for some time in the community, being hosted in servers where they had more than 200 users connected at the same time... that must have been a space battle...

BUZZARD @ July 18 2007,18:16)]I took part in the "Reserves" program that let you play Planetside for a year for free. Must say I loved it, it's a pity that SOE didn't continue the reserves program, unlike other MMOGs which have started as pay-to-play only and then have let free participation with limits be part of the game, like Anarchy Online, which has the base game and first expansion for free, but some more advanced expansions are only available for play. The sheer feeling of participating in a siege in Planetside is awesome indeed. Anarchy Online is a nice MMORPG, looking also a bit dated but nice to play, relatively simple, and you're bound to find lots of people playing it online. I've had some experience in Project:Entropia, also a free MMORPG, but the fact that one can't really take off without injecting cash into it (yeah, just like Second Life, Project: Entropia has it's own currency with a fixed rate bound to the dollar) made me drop it after some time in favour of Anarchy Online...

The Reserve program should be reactivated soon, FYI.

Good to see good ol' Planetside is still appreciated.

It's buggy, SOE are atrocious, but still, the game is such ... special and alone in its market... that you simply can't really leave it.

I've been out for half a year now. I don't think I'll be able to stay away long now, I'm gonna re-sub soon smile_o.gif I've stick with this game since the start. Tons of memories and great, great fun. Like paradropping a whole empire (that was like 150 people at that time) from big transport aircrafts (a fair number of them) over the head of the other 2 whole empires (ie 300 players below). Guaranteed adrenalin.

It has many , many different aspects, making it rather hard to start with, you'll get lost, won't understand half of what you see, and die a lot lot lot of times, before getting the hang of it. But it's worth it.

There's apparently some population issues lately, but the coming back of the Reserve program should sort that out.

That's great news! I'll definitely sign up for a new round of Reserves! biggrin_o.gif

I wonder if my previous medals will be available again or if I'll have to start from scratch... But you're right, there's nothing comparable to the huge scale of what's going on out there - everything that moves is human, no NPCs out there (well, except the blasted turrets tounge2.gif ) .

They should make the reserves program a permanent!

The ones I have enjoyed most have been in no particular order.

Planetside.

City of Heroes.

World of Warcraft.

Planetside.

Big combined arms battles.

I don't play anymore. It's had it's day. The engine that looked so smart now looks tired. The servers that were all full are now all empty.

The game balance that was so inspired is now all lost.

But in it's day. Dropships. Tanks supported by close air. Infantry supported by armor.

3 way wars with 150 players on each side. Endless useful and fun roles to try on the battlefield. Support roles. Assault roles, snipers, infiltrators. Commanders....and so many more.

City of Heroes.

So much fun. Be a super hero. Of the kitch 70's Batman variety.

Chat up women while you play.

My superhero, dresses identically in game as to me in real life.

Really seriously customiseable game.

Costume competitons everyday. Look like MC hammer or a Giant Penguin. Dress as a Gimp.

Fast paced combat. From saving little old ladies from bag snatchers in the street to busting a series of combat moves in the middle of 10 evil robots smashing them all, it's super.

World of Warcraft.

More great humor. Absolutely impeccable production skills.

Everything works perfectly. Everything is tested to destruction before release.

Every function and feature found in any rival game, included and perfected. Plus many more innovations of their own.

A shining example of how-to-make-games.

For the most part I have found pay to play MMOs to be about the same in terms gameplay. Maybe one has a special feature that this other over here doesn't but for the most part it's almost exactly the same... There are free MMOs out there that are just as good as their money necessary counterparts and the only place I can tell that they are lacking is in character creation...

The only real exception that I have seen so far is EVE, and it's an entirely different genre.

LOTRO - Identical to every other fantasy MMO except set in Middle Earth. Good terrain though...

SWG - Worst game I have yet to play. If this were an SP RPG it would still suck. The rarest creatures ever conceived in Star Wars are spawned in groups of fifty or more sometimes right in a town. Seeing a giant Krayt Dragon walking down the street of a poorly contructed town is a bit immersion breaking. You can get shot through walls. NPCs will run to you at physics breaking velocities and kill you before you can even turn around and run away. Terrain is meh. Collision detection is almost non-existant. Also has the fantasy grind.

EVE - Excellent. Though they replaced the monster killing grind with mining asteroids for cash. Corporate politics and wars are intriguing as are the things that are technically legal to do in game, like absconding with your Corp's entire stock of really expensive ships and then ransoming them back to them at a higher price. Do watch out for pirates in low security areas though, your day could be going just fine then someone jumps out of nowhere, starts scrambling your ftl, and proceeds to turn your ship into swiss cheese.

2Moons Beta - Generic Fantasy MMO.