Sign in to follow this  
Linker Split

High Definition Tropic Island Objects!!

<span style='font-family:"Franklin Gothic Medium"'><span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:"red"'>HI FOLKS!</span></span></span>

This is <span style='color:"#0000ff"'>Linker Split</span>, coming back from OFP, moved to ArmA now!

Yeah, you heard right, cause I think it's time to start editing here...

First of all, I decided to import my OFP tropic island into Armed Assault! biggrin_o.gif

It's still hard to make a map, so I've imported only models, and configured them, so you can use them!

test22st5.th.jpg

test28qv0.th.jpgtest30sd8.th.jpgtest31hy2.th.jpgtest23fb2.th.jpg

-----------------------

Here it is the Download:

High Def. Tropic Island Objects (from filefront)

from Rapidshare.com

From www.armedassault.info

from Armed Assault Zone (thanks guys! wink_o.gif)

-----------------------

<span style='color:"#ff0000"'><u>Download and enjoy!

IF YOU WANT TO USE MY ADDONS, PLX ASK ME PERMISSION.

NO PERMISSION TO MODIFY, ALTER, OR USE TEXTURES IN THIS PACK.

Linker Split

wink_o.gif</u></span>

Kinda random, But nice work...

Will give it a try..

Maybe i'll turn rahmadi into a jungle rofl.gif

High_Def_Tropic_island_objects.exe

Err, exe? is this some installer or just RAR selft extracting packet?

Exremely awesome! I made a whole jungle with somewhere around maybe 10000 objects, no lag wow_o.gif ........ biggrin_o.gif

Only thing that might need improvement is the distant LOD.

now the only thing which is missing is visitor 3. smile_o.gif

High_Def_Tropic_island_objects.exe

Err, exe? is this some installer or just RAR selft extracting packet?

it's just a RAR self extracting packet :P

anyway, Opteryx what do you mean when you speak about distant LOD? do you mean a sort of calibration of models??

Perhaps you should note that in the first post that it is a rar self extracting instead a real EXE installer, such things scare people away.

I'm making impressive progresses on normal mapping my models...

these are reuslt I obtained so far:

rock1mf7.jpg

rock2wp4.jpg

tree1nx9.th.jpg

tree2ug6.jpg

tree3xc9.jpg

tree4sy8.jpg

tree5cq7.jpg

I found the way to implement better normal maps on textures.

Stay tuned, more to come

<span style='font-family:Arial Narrow'>Ok guys, I made a patch, that will upgrade the whole pack, to add normal maps to all models!

In the first version, models weren't all normal mapped... I found why, and I corrected it! :sweatingbullets:

Anyway, As you saw in previous posts now models seems real!

Plz enjoy, and download this patch! wink_o.gif

I think it will be the last one, since I've started to create the...MAP...!

Linker Split</span>smile_o.gif

<span style='font-family:Impact'>Links:</span>

<span style='font-family:Arial Narrow'>from Rapidshare.com: http://rapidshare.com/files/44123212/HDTOb...tch1.1.exe.html

from Badongo.com: http://www.badongo.com/file/3811266

from Filefront.com:</span>http://files.filefront.com/HDTObjects+patc...;/fileinfo.html

plants1ym3.th.jpg

I know it's been a while since anyone posted here, but I noticed a problem with how the Big Jungle Trees look from a long distance away. If you're more than about 400m from them, they look like telegraph poles, you can't see their branches at all. Here are links to some a screenshots to show what I mean:

Trees looking like telegraph poles

Trees slightly closer looking like trees

It's a real shame, because otherwise they look pretty great. It seems to only be a problem for the big jungle trees. I'd like to know if you'd be willing to change the look of these trees when seen from far away so you can see some foliage

I know it's been a while since anyone posted here, but I noticed a problem with how the Big Jungle Trees look from a long distance away. If you're more than about 400m from them, they look like telegraph poles, you can't see their branches at all. Here are links to some a screenshots to show what I mean:

Trees looking like telegraph poles

Trees slightly closer looking like trees

It's a real shame, because otherwise they look pretty great. It seems to only be a problem for the big jungle trees. I'd like to know if you'd be willing to change the look of these trees when seen from far away so you can see some foliage

how do you plan to actually edit Sahrani?

Hex editing. It's possible to use a hex editor on the .wrp file to (rather crudely) replace one object with another. Read this thread to get a basic idea of how it works. There are, however, problems with this method; the object you're replacing has to be at least the same size and preferably smaller than the one you want to replace it with. It's particularly important when it comes to height - replace a tall item with a shorter item, and your new item will be floating in the air, since it has the same Z co-ordinates.

This is becoming a particular problem for me with trees - I was wanting to make a more tropical Sahrani with a consistent climate. Unfortunately, the temperate climate trees I wanted to remove are all much taller than any of the default tropical climate trees, so if I replaced, say, a spruce with a palm, the palm would be about 1m above the ground. I came across the HD tropical objects pack, which has a few trees big enough for the job. Now, however, I'm realising that only about 2 of the HD models are even big enough to replace most of the trees I want to, so the forests would be rather repetitive, and as I said, these big jungle tree models look funny from a distance. I think it's unlikely I'll be able to make a perfect tropical version of Sahrani.

If you're wondering how this was brought this up, I had originally mentioned my tropical Sahrani project in my previous post, but I edited it out since I realised it was a bit cheeky to write about it before I'd asked Linker for permission to use the models. I will, of course, ask for permission if I plan to release it publicly, but for now I'm just seeing if it's possible.

well you can modify the plants.pbo instead.

For ground textures and terrain data you need the island. smile_o.gif

Isn't that more or less the same thing, though? Either way you're directly swapping one model for another. Aim's Jungle Sahrani used the method of editing the plants.pbo, and it still has floating trees.

well both methods are fair to do.

real solution would be a v3 pew for sara to allow editing wink_o.gif

....... . .  .

I've done quite a bit of work adding lods and tweaking properties on this pack for the continuing progress on a map of Australia (with Linker Splits permision of course)

See Australia map

So far I've got them looking better over distance and falling like individual trees should but I'm having some issues with the way some of my changes have fixed some things at the expense of others. Would like to able to give you a time frame on when it will be ready but I'd say at this point that it will be released with the Australia Island wich as they say "Is done when its done."

Well, that sounds promising. What other things have your changes come at the expense of? Do you also know if it's possible to change the way the trees look when they're on a hill? Right now, their foliage deforms to conform to the angle of the hill, which looks funny.

Well, that sounds promising. What other things have your changes come at the expense of? Do you also know if it's possible to change the way the trees look when they're on a hill? Right now, their foliage deforms to conform to the angle of the hill, which looks funny.

Funny you mentioned that. I'd almost forgot that aspect. Though  I've been slowly picking my way through it and comining up with a better approack so just the bottom of trunk deforms to the landscape my work on it has been a sporadic to date.

Its a massive pack with great looking plants so full points to Linker Split. But its a port from his OFP work so there have been all sorts of things to change, and with a pack this size it can be difficult staying the course. The effect it is havingon teh Australia Ilse however has been a great motivator

The list of changes below out line some of the changes I've made. But that doesn't include the plant groups or masses of folige in his pack as they are a bit dated for the new engine.

* Rework of all visual LODS. Basicaly laying them out similar to BIS and removing the preload LOD (LOD 10.000 was a trick used in OFP to load the textures ahead of time and create a smoother running when up close. Can now use frequent=1)

* Rework of the GEO, FIRE, and VIEW LODs to better suit the respective tasks. ie. Fire LOD = wooded material, View LOD = obscuring folige, and Geo LOD is weighted to allow trees to fall over (Big trees need a BIG hit however)

*Included a Shadow 0 LOD for almost all trees and most plants and called on the 2nd or 3rd visual LOD as the shadow buffer. If there was such a thing as unlimited time this could be taken further but what I've done is working well and I think its better than simply using the first visual LOD. Also provides a good range of shadowing levels via the video options.

*Added various tree/bush classes in properties to many of the items (the realy big trees did look a bit odd however with the degree of sway so left as just 'tree' )

*And various other fixes that showed up in the Binarize Log.

Most of the above work has been completed except for shadow work on most of the palms, the 'land contact issue' and good dose of beta testing.

PS, Oh about the expense of changes. Got that sorted now. I had shelved this project a couple of months ago over some frustrating issues that your post prompted me to look at again. Come a loooong way in the last 24 hrs!

That all sounds great, I experimented a bit with loading the models into Oxygen and editing the LODs. I did a quick job on the LODs and found it was easy to get the trees to look like trees from a distance, but the performance took a hit. I had a look at BIS ArmA trees and realised they do LODs totally differently and much more efficiently, so no wonder the performance was so much worse when replacing them with the HDT trees, even before I'd tweaked their LODs. That made me think it was probably possible to make the HDT pack a lot more resource friendly without sacrificing the graphics, but since I don't really have the knowledge or skills to properly rework the LODs I was willing to just give up on that for now. Sounds like you're doing a good job, though. thumbs-up.gif

Finished!

Just writting up a read me, and checking out how to sign it.

No paths have been changed so you want even need to remove the old version for vistor purposes.

Just throw the new binarized version in your fav addon folder.

Look for it in new thread here.