Sign in to follow this  
5133p39

Dawn of the Yomies

Dawn of the Yomies

An addon and multiplayer mission template for Armed Assault v1.08

About...

The goal is to create user-friendly template system, which can be used to create zombie based missions as easily as possible.

It should provide a background for the mission, users should be able to create any missions they want on top of this template,

use their own scripts, switches, triggers, whatever, without the need of thinking about how to incorporate the zombies into the mission.

Some pictures...

y1_t.jpg y3_t.jpg y8_t.jpg

...you can find little more at the dedicated website.

Download

First Beta version is available for download at the dedicated website

More info ?

Check the website for more information, it's all there.

help.gif Please, post your reports about any bugs you would possibly find, or any questions, etc. help.gif

I will add more informations, or new versions when i have them ready.

I would also appreciate any constructive remarks about the scripts - if anyone thinks something should be done differently and better, please, post your ideas so we can make things better.

EDIT: July 14 2007,09:04 - Fixed serious bug, sample mission and basic template are updated to version 0.2.

EDIT: July 14 2007,02:24 - Updated the docs section at the website, so it should be easier to understand how to make spawns and few other things.

EDIT: July 13 2007,18:36 - Added new "ToDo" section to the yomies website. It should list all features i am planning to add. Check it and tell me if there is anything missing.

EDIT: July 12 2007,21:24 - I added a misison template to the downloads section on my website. The template is blank, empty mission, with the needed "yomies" directory, and basic mission init script. Unpack it into your new mission directory, and build your mission on top of that. Read the updated docs section "Create new mission"

Edited by 5133p39

Nice job man! They really look "cool"! smile_o.gif

Thanks :-) but i am not responsible for their "look" - if you meant it that way - because they are still using the original BIS undead textures.

Benxcore is making a set of zombie faces, which are looking very good, but they aren't part of this addon yet - i am waiting until he tells me that it's 100% done and that i can put them in there.

btw. everyone: I am curious, if anyone tried the sample mission, please tell me how far you get, how did you played it, what have you done, and how you get killed, or whether you made it and eventually saved some survivors, etc. Please, please, tell me smile_o.gif

nice work, look forward to the new textures wink_o.gif

btw i remeber the yommies from ofp , even before the infamous scott's zombie mod and the farmland mod /horror packs, are they any relation?

nice work, look forward to the new textures wink_o.gif
Well, you wouldn't be if you knew how gross they are ;-))) i mean really gross, yuuuck, ugly bad zombies!
btw i remeber the yommies from ofp , even before the infamous scott's zombie mod and the farmland mod /horror packs, are they any relation?
Yes, they are related a little...

First thing which connects them is the name - Yomies,

then the second thing is that its me again - Mors a.k.a. 5133p39,

and the third thing is that they too were made with lots of love and care :-)

But other than that, they have not much in common.

The new ArmA yomies were written from scratch, so there shouldn't be even much similarity in the used scripts.

great mod... its great that zombie mods got to arma so quickly...

I'm trying to make some missions using the tempalte, it all works fine exept two thigns, first, I got a objective complete message in the corner all the time, second the time and weather is always the same, how do I change that?

Very well done i really appreciate the effort you have shown making this, using and making .FSM's is pretty much the best way to have zombies to dramatically reduce lag, i really do like this addon, alot of potential! yay.gif

Zombies are meant to make sounds right? they are not doing it in multiplayer missions which makes it hard (harder then it allready is tounge2.gif ), maybe that should be looked into next.

Is there a possibility aswell that you will implement an infection variable to infect ppl who come in contact. This variable could be turned on or off with a true or false but would be awsome.

Keep up the good work mate, youll hopefully be seeing some missions released by me with this addon biggrin_o.gif

I'm trying to make some missions using the tempalte, it all works fine exept two thigns, first, I got a objective complete message in the corner all the time, second the time and weather is always the same, how do I change that?

I think there has been a little misunderstanding - what i call the <span style='color:red'>"mission template"</span> is nothing more than those scripts in the <span style='color:red'>"\yomies\"</span> directory.

But judging by your problems with the time and weather, and objectives, i would say that you opened the <span style='color:red'>"sample mission"</span>.

The only prurpose of the sample mission is to give the idea how things are done, and more importantly to TEST the zombie scripts in the MP environment (if anyone is up for the task).

If you want to make your own mission, forget the whole sample mission, maybe it is too messy - it's not worth of the problems.

Just open the editor, and start making your own mission - do whatever you want, like if you were creating any other ordinary mission - but before that do these things to add the zombies:

1. copy the whole "yomies" directory from the sample mission into your new mission directory.

2. Create a mission init script - preferably SQF script - and put the following at the start:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">param1 = 600; // this will set the view distance to 600 meters.

_initYomies = execVM "yomies\init.sqf"; // run the yomie package initialization scripts

waitUntil {scriptDone _initYomies};

3. Create markers to define zombie spawn areas (you can read how in the docs section on the website)

...that's all.

Very well done i really appreciate the effort you have shown making this, using and making .FSM's is pretty much the best way to have zombies to dramatically reduce lag, i really do like this addon, alot of potential!
Yes, the FSMs helped, but there is still room for improvement - there are few things which i think are not neccessary, but i haven't got the will to test it, so i left them in just to be safe, etc.
Zombies are meant to make sounds right? they are not doing it in multiplayer missions which makes it hard (harder then it allready is tounge2.gif ), maybe that should be looked into next.
You mean my zombies, The Yomies, doens't make sounds in MP huh.gif

Because they should - not very often, but you should be able to hear them from time to time.

If you can't hear them in MP, then there is a bug i need to look into.

...i will look into this anyway, because even if they are making sounds, it's very poorly done and needs total rewrite, so.. it will be done.

Is there a possibility aswell that you will implement an infection variable to infect ppl who come in contact. This variable could be turned on or off with a true or false but would be awsome.
I had already tried to make the zombies able to infect any units including players, but i didn't liked the results so i removed it for now.

But don't worry making (or at least trying to make) the infection work as best as possible, is on my ToDo list.

Keep up the good work mate, youll hopefully be seeing some missions released by me with this addon biggrin_o.gif
I hope so! :-) thanks.

thanks.. that made it a lot easier, I still got the same weather though...

thanks.. that made it a lot easier, I still got the same weather though...

oops sorry, i forgot about the weather:

In the script <span style='color:brown'>\yomies\init_game.sqf</span> there are these commands:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">0 setFog 0.7;

0 setOvercast 0.5;

0 setRain 0;

You can either remove them, or change their values, or override them by same commands later in your mission <span style='color:brown'>init.sqf</span> script

Hey guys!

I'm excited your enjoying the addon. Sleeper has done an excellent job with all the coding. The absence of lag when having 144 zombies is amazing. You don't even notice the lag when they spawn!

What my current ideas are creating faces for the zombies, that shows more fresh of wounds, bloody faces/mouths, gaping neck wounds, blood shot eyes. I'm using some medical photos out of books, and things I find on the internet to texture these Yomies. My goal is to have 25+ Unique Zombie faces. Variety is the spice of life, and seeing a zombie cloan next to his buddy isn't every appealing.

Keep runnin guys, the Yomies are at your heels.

//ben

how do i make zobies act the way they do in spawns? when i place them on map they just stand still or they keep crawling all the time

thanks its all working fine now...

found an anoying bug though... I played as a medic, the zombies got real close, one of them got hit and was injured, and all of a sudden I was on my knees healing the zombie...

thanks its all working fine now...

found an anoying bug though... I played as a medic, the zombies got real close, one of them got hit and was injured, and all of a sudden I was on my knees healing the zombie...

Muhehehe :-))))))))) that's hilarious :-)))))))))))

But i added it to my "FixIt" list, i think i should be able to prevent this by some config tweaks - at least i hope so.

how do i make zobies act the way they do in spawns? when i place them on map they just stand still or they keep crawling all the time

The yomies aren't yet ready to "function" when placed in mission editor.

Very simply said:

As for now, they are entirely dependant on the scripts in the "your_mission\yomie\" directory. They need a spawn area which is translated into a trigger, which is spawning them automaticaly, and which is starting their FSM "brain".

I have a plan to add the option to place the yomies in the mission editor too, i will implement it very soon if something more important doesn't show up.

I added a misison template to the downloads section on my website.

The template is blank, empty mission, with the needed "yomies" directory, and basic mission init script.

Unpack it into your new mission directory, and build your mission on top of that.

Read the update docs section <span style='color:blue'>"Create new mission"</span>

hahaha.. More zombies biggrin_o.gif

pistols.gif

Great stuff... how does this work with player respawn (base)?

Great stuff... how does this work with player respawn (base)?

i don't know, i haven't tried it in MP yet.

But i don't understand why there should be any problems with player respawns.

So, to answer your question: i think its ok.

...try it smile_o.gif

Anyway, it's meant to be a template to create ANY type of mission, so if there would be any problem with player respawns or whatever, then it is a bug and i will fix it.

I'm somewhat of a noob at scripts but I'm trying to get this to work and although I can hear the zombie sound effects, I can't see them - basically I don't think they have spawned.

I have the Yomies scirpts in my mission folder as instructed.

I've set up a marker and named it Yomies.

I'm a little confused about what I do next - do I set up a trigger? If so, what is the exact code that needs to go into the trigger? The instructions mention translating the marker into a trigger - I'm somewhat confused on how you do this?

Many thanks

I'm somewhat of a noob at scripts but I'm trying to get this to work and although I can hear the zombie sound effects, I can't see them - basically I don't think they have spawned.
If you can hear them, then they should be spawned. But they are spawned beyond your (or any other player's) view distance - so if you are playing vith viewdistance 3000m, then they are being spawned 3000m away from you (well, the fog is being taken into account too, so it can be much less than 3000m if you have some fog in your mission).

Look into the <span style='color:blue'>init.sqf</span> script to learn how to change the viewdistance (there is the variable <span style='color:blue'>param1</span> which is used to set the viewdistance).

I have the Yomies scirpts in my mission folder as instructed.

I've set up a marker and named it Yomies.

Nononono, you got this wrong, the spawn area marker must be named <span style='color:blue'>"yomie_spawn"</span>, and any other markers must be named <span style='color:blue'>"yomie_spawn_#"</span> where # is a number from 1 to n.

Read the docs at the website, i think its explained pretty clearly in there, isn't it? (let me know if you read it, but you still don't understand - then i should probably rewrite the docs).

I'm a little confused about what I do next - do I set up a trigger? If so, what is the exact code that needs to go into the trigger? The instructions mention translating the marker into a trigger - I'm somewhat confused on how you do this?
No, you don't need to create any triggers for the yomies. The triggers are created automatically - the spawn areas markers (those named "yomie_spawn" and "yomie_spawn_#") are used to determine the trigger position, size, etc., all automatically.