Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Smoke Effects: Collapsing buildings

For me, the default ArmA building collapse effects are rather weedy. (I generally think all ArmA smoke is weedy wink_o.gif) so here is the first part of my solution:

DM Smoke Effects building collapse.

It's a config, so make an @DM folder & pop it in there, do the shortcut thing. Basically the config makes the building collapse effects ten times bigger, and last ten times longer. The difference is quite stunning, and that's without touching any of the particles. It (or an improved version of it) will eventually become part of the general DMSmokeEffects addon.

Ok, I've tested this and it works all right.

The longer effect is nice. When pounding the small town on Rahmadi with artillery, all buildings collapsed and the whole island was covered in dust...

I'd like to see a lot more debris flying around as well as a slower collapse. Do you think it's possible ? Anyway, good job !

Malick

Ok, I've tested this and it works all right.

The longer effect is nice. When pounding the small town on Rahmadi with artillery, all buildings collapsed and the whole island was covered in dust...

I'd like to see a lot more debris flying around as well as a slower collapse. Do you think it's possible ? Anyway, good job !

Malick

A slower collapse was one of the things I wanted to do, particularly for the larger buildings, but I found that the bigger smoke totally obscures it anyways. I'd still like to do it, but it's way down on the list.

More debris might be suggested by changing the particle textures, but I'd be reluctant to actually add more/new particles. Eventually I'd like to change all 4 of the current default particle effects per collapse to my own textures.

I like the bigger more lasting smoke. But I suggest you make it more white/grey, since these are building and not vehicles with fuel, oil or diesel. IMO the smoke is too dark (black).

I like the bigger more lasting smoke. But I suggest you make it more white/grey, since these are building and not vehicles with fuel, oil or diesel. IMO the smoke is too dark (black).

I haven't touched the particles' look at all, other than size smile_o.gif that's how they are by default, as BIS coded them.

I'd like them to be dust-grey, that shouldn't be too hard to do. I'd also like to replace them with my own textures, animated natch wink_o.gif

oh thats just beutifull!

Very nice. A great improvement over default.

For me, the default ArmA building collapse effects are rather weedy. (I generally think all ArmA smoke is weedy wink_o.gif) so here is the first part of my solution:

DM Smoke Effects building collapse.

It's a config, so make an @DM folder & pop it in there, do the shortcut thing. Basically the config makes the building collapse effects ten times bigger, and last ten times longer. The difference is quite stunning, and that's without touching any of the particles. It (or an improved version of it) will eventually become part of the general DMSmokeEffects addon.

Since I'm not familiar with the lingo, the instructions are too vague....

I create a mod folder and pop the file in there? Does there need to be another folder in @DM( AddOns, Dta). I made the folder, put your file directly inside and did the shortcut thing but I can't tell a lick of difference.

Strictly speaking, the original effects are not meant to simulate smoke, but dust. I like the longer lasting effects but I think the colour is a little dark.

Nice effects, DMark. thumbs-up.gif

Since I'm not familiar with the lingo, the instructions are too vague....

I create a mod folder and pop the file in there? Does there need to be another folder in @DM( AddOns, Dta). I made the folder, put your file directly inside and did the shortcut thing but I can't tell a lick of difference.

Yeah me neither. More detailed instructions, please. smile_o.gif

Create the mod folder:- @DM or whatever you like?

Then inside that create another folder called 'addons'

pop the file in that addons folder-put mod line in your shortcut and away you go smile_o.gif

Just tested the effects! smile_o.gif very good!

Btw Kegetys arma/mod launcher ftw! Found Here

Thanks ck-claw.

Thats what i figured but I wanted to make sure before I did that.

Sorry guys, I just posted it in a hurry & made an assumption that people sniffing around here would know about the @Mod/Addons folder thing smile_o.gif

I'll be sure to post more explicit instructions in future.

Nice dust & smoke effects!

Maybe you can make this a little bit more brigther and dusty.

Than later on "Smoke Effects:Collapsing buildings Version 2.0" implement some "cough" sounds! wink_o.gif

What about the shadows on the particles?? :-)

You can see it best near the end of that video.

Would you mind if I contacted you sometime later once I

need good "dems" effects for my supah-doopah British

commandos addon set? I'm thinking of cool effects for

blowing the crap out of wooden structures (planks and

splinters all over the place) and thick oily smoke for

burning fish-oil containers (those damn Nazis made

explosives out of fish-oil, don't yer know!?)

Would you mind if I contacted you sometime later once I

need good "dems" effects for my supah-doopah British

commandos addon set? I'm thinking of cool effects for

blowing the crap out of wooden structures (planks and

splinters all over the place) and thick oily smoke for

burning fish-oil containers (those damn Nazis made

explosives out of fish-oil, don't yer know!?)

No probs, I'm currently making this to be (hopefully) included in the @SIX addons pack, and at some point I need to make some Napalm effects for the Vietnam mod, I'd be happy to help out if I can.

Nice dust & smoke effects!

Maybe you can make this a little bit more brigther and dusty.

Than later on "Smoke Effects:Collapsing buildings Version 2.0" implement some "cough" sounds! wink_o.gif

Yeah don't worry, this is just a test. The eventual release will be substantially different. Grey as per brick dust, thick & soupy for a long while, and some custom textures.

Yeah don't worry, this is just a test. The eventual release will be substantially different. Grey as per brick dust, thick & soupy for a long while, and some custom textures.

Awesome mod work DMarkwick. It would have been good of BIS to include some options for effects like this in the release. But they have modders like you DMarkwick to do the extra work, and we thank you and every other mod maker for the time and effort you guys put into making a good game... awesomer!

Would be even more realistic with bricks, timbers & timbres(music: distinctive property of a complex sound) flyin'.

Looks pretty good!

I agree with an earlier comment about making it more of a dusty smoke, so i hope you'll be able to do that soon smile_o.gif