Sign in to follow this  
PRiME

ASUS G1S Notebook woes

Getting around 10-30fps on LOW setting in towns etc..

Just can't believe it. I can only assume that ArmA does not like Vista in a serious sort of way because this is stupid, even oblivion runs super in comparison.

Unfortunately no updated driver support for the 8600 GT Mobile Card exists atm (Nvidia are not particularly mobile friendly).

Any ideas on what can be done (magic tweaks?). I will not be using XP tho.

Guest Ti0n3r

Two stupid workarounds I use;

* Turn up Anti Aliasing to max. In some cases it will actually boost performance.

* Running the game in lower resolutions with higher GFX settings will give better performance than running in high resolutions with low GFX settings.

Maybe not useful at all, but it might be worth a try at least.

Seems to have helped. Now to get this crash out of way, . THink its the maxmem=1024 thing

Quote[/b] ]I will not be using XP tho.

Sorry to hear that though, that would perhaps clear up a lot of the problems you're having icon_rolleyes.gif

You've got several issues there :

1) Vista.

Quote[/b] ]

Vista is [a] quite young platform and ArmA is [a] very unusual and demanding [product] due to its nature (the engine dynamically allocates on the go [a] very large amount of data and reaches a lot of limits). Graphics card drivers are probably one of the main sources of problems in [the] Vista OS but for now, Windows Vista is not [an] officially supported platform for ArmA.

Marek said that, not me.

2) Video drivers.

You're running brand new video drivers that have no time behind them. You should be grateful that you have drivers at all, ATI as a rule does not release drivers at all for laptops, instead leaving that to the OEM. Nvidia's laptop drivers are late and not as optimized as their desktop ones, but that also doesn't factor that the GPU's are lite versions as well.

3) Prototype hardware.

You ran out and blew money on brand new next generation unproven hardware, and expected it to work out of the box? Mighty presumptuous if you ask me.

All things considered, I've been looking at that line of laptops for work related stuff. I've had one customer with a similar model with similar problems I've worked with already, but it was resolved immediately by switching to XP.

I have a desktop and notebook.  Desktop has c2d 2.4ghz oc to 3.6ghz, 2gigs ram, and 8800gtx vista/xp and notebook has c2d 1.83gz 2gig ram 7300go with vista/xp.  

I started out with vista on both.  Then I heard about making a dual boot with xp.  My desktop now doubled in performance with xp and my notebook with vista was unplayable on very low.  

I made a dual boot with xp on the notebook and ArmA is now very playable on verylow.  Its very simple, just make a small partion for xp.  

I wouldnt think it would need more than 10gig's.  Then download a small program call VISTABOOTPRO, this program is free and allows you to write to the boot.ini which will let you choose which OS to load durring bootup.

EDIT: Make sure you can find all drivers first for xp. It took me awhile for my notebook. I bought my from dell so from there website you can get all drivers for the model either in xp or vista.

Its ok that are tweaks that resolve problems. One of my problems was that my notebook was on POWER saving mode (lowers CPU GPU speeds) .

I have since reinstalled and will see how things go. Mostly concerned with crashes I think now.

I would go with XP if it supported DIRECTx10

as ppl said u can use dual boot, to have vista for dx10 and xp on dx9 games on the same machine.

I think there's not much dx10 effects to enjoy with that graphics chip.

I think there's not much dx10 effects to enjoy with that graphics chip.

Im sure he just wants to be able to play the new dx10 games, but his gpu should be able to play any dx10 game anyways, its 8 series.  Thats why I kept vista on my machines, even though Vista is CRAP.  Like I said above it would be very easy to have both xp and vista on one machine, even If you have a 80 gig HD.