Sign in to follow this  
raedor

AI sandbag-bugfix "addon" v1.1

New version v1.1: Just redownload!

For all of you who'd like to see the AI shooting even if they're behind sandbags.

Download.

Quote[/b] ]With this addon installed, the AI soldiers should be able to shoot when staying/kneeling behind sandbags.

You can also try this test mission by Balschoiw and Ducus-Sumus to see the difference (play the mission once before and after the installation of the addon).

Mirror 1: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1607

Mirror 2: http://www.assaultmissionstudio.de/infusio....?did=63

Thanks to Armaholic & Assault Mission Studio! smile_o.gif

Sounds better than good. Going to test it. Can they fire over fences and other small obstacles too?

Sounds better than good. Going to test it. Can they fire over fences and other small obstacles too?

Nope, only the objects "FenceWood" and "FenceWoodPalet". You can PM/post some more objects that could be fixed in the same way, I can include them in the addon then. smile_o.gif

Finally, this was driving me nuts! thanks alot! and yeah, other objects should be fixed too, especially the wirefence.

Strange how BIS didn't fix this in the patch though.

Finally, this was driving me nuts! thanks alot! and yeah, other objects should be fixed too, especially the wirefence.

Strange how BIS didn't fix this in the patch though.

was the cheap shot neccessary?

Missions just got that little bit easier to make with this addon wink_o.gif nice work.

How little things can make a huge difference.

The sandbugfix addon tounge2.gif

Thx Reador smile_o.gif

As said, I can easily add some objects if you say some... wink_o.gif

About the mission...

I wonder why they cover the whole area but in the opposite direction of their leader. I would be perfect if they cover the area in front of them instead of behind.

Also, it seems that Dostop commands don't prevent AI to move, I think we'll have to use disableAI "move" instead, we can enable it again anyway.

The only problem is that disableAI commands are resetted when a saved game is loaded. (also that should be solveable via the time command)

About the mission...

I wonder why they cover the whole area but on the opposite direction of their leader. I would be perfect if they cover the area in front of them instead of behind.

Also, it seems that Dostop commands don't prevent AI to move, I think we'll have to use disableAI "move" instead, we can enable it again anyway.

The only problem is that disableAI commands are resetted when a saved game is loaded. (also that should be solveable via the time command)

I only looked that mission file (should already be sleeping), so might be that i'm missing something, but:

isn't that a basic weakness of dostop from way back from OFP that they don't look at their direction of formation but the opposite way. They need dowatch or dotarget order. gamelogic suits best for dotarget in ArmA, they seems to have it's exact location unlike in OFP where gamelogic's exact location wasn't found by AI. And dotargetting gamelogic won't mess their targeting routines: it somehow stays in AI's memory but doesn't mess it's targeting routines.

dostop should work just fine, if there is not commandmove of domove involved. Is that moving when dostop is given because of AI leader gives engage orders? Then the solution is 'this enableattack false'.

Or does it affect that leader doesn't have dostop order (and it orders everyone to get back in formation)? I atleast issue dostop to everyone in squad and that seems to work okay.

@raedor

Thanks for the addon. But there is a serious bug in it. AI will fire through the sandbags even when they're lying on the ground!

I just tried it with the official BIS mission delivery boy.

@raedor

Thanks for the addon. But there is a serious bug in it. AI will fire through the sandbags even when they're lying on the ground!

Now this is quite bad. I'll try another method.

/edit: I was not able to reproduce this bug. Can you give me some repro steps? When the AI was lying behind such a wall and knew me, it still did not shoot, only if it was kneeling or standing. confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]About the mission...

It´s not a "mission".

It has been put together quite fast to demonstrate the bug for Suma and then been uploaded to the BTS wink_o.gif

And no...there are no objectives tounge2.gif

@raedor

Now this is quite bad. I'll try another method.

/edit: I was not able to reproduce this bug. Can you give me some repro steps? When the AI was lying behind such a wall and knew me, it still did not shoot, only if it was kneeling or standing. confused_o.gif

maybe I'm not right.

Because I tried to reproduce this bug too and was not able to.

It could be that the AI when lying behind the sandbags, shot at the enemies because there are little spaces between the sandbags and maybe they shot having the opportunity for a split second.

When I tried the mission for a second and third time. They only shot when standing or crouched. So I suppose that I was ringing here false bug alarm. Sorry for that.

AI shooting throught "solid" objects is not a mystery in 1.08... we spotted AI shooting through a high brick wall in Arcadia in last Thursday's squadnight (not spraying, but 1 shot 1 kill).

think its more like when the AI lays too close to something and the weapon sticks trough it it will fire at you.

Had that a few times in the big hotel where they fired at me trough concrete stairs cause their weapon looked through it.

how about firing over the burned out vehicles? that would be nice, i used that alot in ofp and it looked pretty cool

Same as in OFP...

Depbo the config, set all objects you want AI to shoot over to "DestructType = destructno", and then set them to Setdammage 1.0.

When I tried the mission for a second and third time. They only shot when standing or crouched. So I suppose that I was ringing here false bug alarm. Sorry for that.

Ah, fine: No additional work for me. smile_o.gif

Works great!! Untill you remove the "know about" trig then they stop shooting help.gif their enemy can be 30 meters away and still no shots. Even the west does not shoot when attacking?? Do you need the "know about" for it to work?

Thanks for your help smile_o.gif

I'd like to thank you for this great, yet simple, "patch". It improves the behaviour of AI, especially when combined with other addons or scripts (Second's excellent suppression scripts).

Is it planned to be included sometime in an official patch ? Maybe someone here has the word from Suma.

One thing I noticed : when units are defending behind sandbags, attacking units have problem shooting at them. They take a while longer to "see" them and to engage. Maybe influenced by other scripts as well.

Malick

Quote[/b] ]Do you need the "know about" for it to work?

No. It only shows the knowsabout value that enemies have about player unit. This will only work "unpatched" as it was meant to demonstrate that AI wouldn´t shoot even if their knowsabout value was high. With the .pbo installed you won´t get anywhere near the AI unpunished, so this function of the

bugtracker demo-mission is obsolete with the fix-pbo.

You shouldn´t be to fixed on the "mission". It was meant to demonstrate the bug prior release of Raedors fix and is not meant to be a template for anything.

If you want to test the AI-sandbag behaviour just create a sandbag-wall, put some AI crouched behind it and give enemies an appropriate waypoint at or behind the sandbags. That´s all it needs to show that AI now shoots behind sandbags.

Suma on the issue:

Quote[/b] ]The bug is caused by the function responsible for friendly fire avoidance. Sandbags are considered civilian entities, and therefore friendly, and AI therefore hesitates to fire close to them unless the enemy is very near.

Until we provide a fix, a workaround for addon or mod makers might be to create an addon with alternative sandbags represented with a simulation "camera" instead of usual "house", and use such sandbags in the mission instead of the default ones. Such workaround would have some limitations (sandbags not destructible and not targetable by AI), but it still might be useful.

Another workaround might be to create them with a simulation house, but non-destructible (DestructNo), and then use setDamage 1 on them.

So I guess it´s likely that the issue will be fixed in one of BIS patches.

It´s quite natural that attackers have some problems killing men behind sandbag-walls as they only can see a little bit of the upper torso. I use it in a mission and it works just perfect for both sides, the attackers and the defenders.

For all of you who'd like to see the AI shooting even if they're behind sandbags.

Download.

Quote[/b] ]With this addon installed, the AI soldiers should be able to shoot when staying/kneeling behind sandbags.

You can also try this test mission by Balschoiw and Ducus-Sumus to see the difference (play the mission once before and after the installation of the addon).

Thanks to armed-assault.de for hosting. smile_o.gif

could you fixe car too ?

i wish i could set up an urban template with empty car across road. and use them as barage.

wink_o.gif

Works great!! Untill you remove the "know about" trig then they stop shooting help.gif their enemy can be 30 meters away and still no shots. Even the west does not shoot when attacking?? Do you need the "know about" for it to work?

Thanks for your help smile_o.gif

damn ? i s it right ?

sad_o.gif

they can shoot at you, but they didnt see you ? without heavily scripting , it's then not usable banghead.gif

finally, i really think arma AI engine is the MAJOR lack of this game.

Nope, only the objects "FenceWood" and "FenceWoodPalet". You can PM/post some more objects that could be fixed in the same way, I can include them in the addon then. smile_o.gif

Regarding this AI fix, How exactly are you making the object work with the AI?

Is it a matter of defining my objects class as one of the above mentioned classes..or am i reading this wrong?

The reason why I am asking is because I have built some obects which would be greatly improved if I knew the AI would react correctly.

Some examples are Dirt Berms with sunken areas to shoot from. Or another would be a pile of Garbage that is waist height.

ATM the AI will just lay down like normal, and pop up, and pop back down when they should be crouched and shooting at targets.