Sign in to follow this  
Hoot1988

possible arma DVD drive Bug

im having problems with my DVD rewriter drive and i fear it may be a armed assualt bug. i noticed the problem several days ago when i switched my computer on with the arma disk already in the drive from when i was playing ArmA on MP the night before, aftr my computer booted i clicked my usuall arma EXE tab and the securrom thing said there was no disk inserted. i checked my computer and it also said that their was no CD. firt i thought it was a driver problem and installed the new drivers and arma worked that day. the day after i was a bit bored of Arma so went to play Oblivion, the game has run fine with no missing DVD problems for the last few days, turned on my PC today and had a hour on oblivion when i wanted to see what was happening on the Arma MP servers put the disk in and the game ran, i exited so i could get a better FPS by logging out of MSN then tried to restart the game and it again said that their was no DVD in the drive.

sorry for the long winded explanation but i thought it was necessary why i think its a arma bug and not a driver or DVD fault and bug, im currently restoring my PC to this morning using norton goback. i know for a fact that it is not the DVD lens as it seems to work fine and the restore fixed the problem, i suspect it oculd be a arma problem.

any help on this matter would be much apreciated and if there are any other sufferers out there that can give advice.

I never thought it was an arma problem, i just thought my DVD drive had seen it's better days.... but now I see this post here. I have the same problem..

for you does it only happen after you have played armed assault and attempt to play another game? that is what has lead me to believe it is arma and not the drive,it is defiantly software related it could be the device drivers but it is a coincidence that it happens every time i play arma. im thinking a protection bug?

for you has this happened since 1.08?

It's not related to Arma. A game simply can't do that, the protection on the other hand is a possibility, which in this case is Securom.

I had the exact same problem and ended up just buying a new DVD writer although I suspected SucureRom. My previous DVD is now working just brilliantly in a relative's system.

And for me it happened before 1.08. It's definitely not an ArmA problem especially considering the game isn't even running when the DVD player (with ArmA disk in) would fail to be recognized on boot-up at times or chug away endlessly trying to start the game.

I love how legitimate purchasers of software get to deal with all the problems and inconveniences of copy protection when the determined pirate will just find a way around it anyway.

I also had to replace my 1 year old DVD writer after using Arma in this drive alot. For me it´s very weird as the drive never had any problems before but the problems got worse by the numbers of starting Arma. At the end the drive didn´t react anymore and gave up. What made me wonder from the start was the sound that

the copy-protection made my DVD writer to produce. It didn´t sound healthy and obviously it wasn´t healthy for the drive.

I am now using the Arma DVD in a grave-old DVD read-only drive because I don´t want the copy protection to ruin my new burner aswell.

Of course I have a hard time to actually proof that copy-protection killed the drive but to me it´s very obvious as the faults started with Arma and got worse whenever using Arma DVD again. I didn´t use other DVD´s in the drive for the whole period of time and even didn´t burn and DVD´s or CD´s.

It was a BenQ DVD burner and certainly not overused.

I successfully installed ArmA on a business laptop some months ago. Unfortunately, the GPU was too weak to run the game properly! I left it at that.

Now I tried to install the game on the brand-new computer of a friend just to see what it actually looks like. Well, I put in the DVD and *nothing* happens. The DVD does not show up as being loaded nor does anything start.

Since it is a DVD writer I suspect that this is the copy protection at work! Hopefully it did not do any harm to my friends computer!

I cannot describe how much this upsets me! If it was not for the fact that the game was bought months ago I would be so keen on bringing it back to the shop, opened, and ask for a refund. This is the only action that possibly stops this madness.

So I am still waiting to finally play the game that I legally bought! banghead.gif

Best regards,

Thomm

mine is a DVD writer also, i think that this is deffinaty a securom problem, im glad im not on my own and that its not my DVD writer drive that i need to replace.

i hope someone onthe BIS team sees this and can contact securom to let them know about this bug.

It is a securerom problem. If you research securerom you will see it does not work with certain brands of drives. I had to buy a new DVD drive for my son's computer to get the game to load because of securerom.

JESUS! i didnt realise that it was that bad, that will mean their will probably be no fix unless arma gets rid of the sercurom feature.

now i understand why people boycott securom. they should put this on the back of the DVD packing, requires this hard drive. what are securom compatible DVD drives then?