Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Fastroping Addons Thread

How would a Half Life like physics engine enhance the gameplay of Armed Assault?

How would a Half Life like physics engine enhance the gameplay of Armed Assault?

well we could have the gravity gun then welcome.gifwelcome.gifwelcome.gif

Nice, I can't wait till your finished! If you need a tester I will be more than happy to help you out.

Our unit has recently been playing aroud with slingloads, the only thing is there isn't any noticeable "sling" that connects the two together. Does anyone know if this is possible? It will have to be tight instead of the waving version seen here in the test vid. I will be conducting Air Assault qualifications for the men in my unit, and it would be nice to have this add-on to go with it.

Keep up the great work and let me know if I can help.

Are you going to include anims for both "fastroping" and

conventional abseiling/rappelling?

I suppose an anim for the Royal Marine Commando uber-

macho "headfirst with rope wrapped around both arms" abseil

technique (a la Royal Tournament - sadly missed) is out

of the question though   whistle.gif

If i were you, id make it so that its only a script, unless you are planning on adding a winch or rope attach point otherwise its not really necessary to make a whole new model, plus itl be easier to implement into game play.

But what I wanted to bring up is somewhere in the first page, somebody mentioned the rope swaying from the wind, now I don't know too much about the military's equipment but from what I understand the ropes on the blackhawk are pretty thick and itd probably take a pretty decent gust to move em', but im not inferring that its like a fireman pole. I may be wrong so if anyone has any experience or common knowledge about this then please share.

but from what I understand the ropes on the blackhawk are pretty thick and itd probably take a pretty decent gust to move em'

A decent gust like the wash off the rotor? Its more than enough to lift the aircraft...

That does not affect the ground directly underneath the aircraft does it? In BHD it was not showed as a problem though.

But at least the physics of a flag made of light cloth or off a thick rope off 20? meters heigh are not and should not be the same, so a straight down pole would probably be more usefull and appropriate if physics are hard to change

The cloth rope won't be used for the actual roping part, it is just used to simulate deployment and shows any slight change in direction. Once the unit leaves the chopper, he will be attached to a hard rope, and the cloth rope will be attached to the end of the hard rope. As the unit moves down, the hard rope gets longer (using multiply setobjecttexture or animation commands) and the cloth rope get shorter using setflagtexture commands and multiple textures. Its kinda hard to describe, but it should work.

did not know something like that is possible but it sounds like a great way to simulate this in game

Genius....pure genius! inlove.gif

Abs

wait, i hear storms coming, a brainstrom that is! tounge2.gif

this sounds like an ingenius idea! lets us know if you came up with something notworthy.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing this being completed thumbs-up.gif

Sounds very promising Sakura chan! As was mentioned earlier in the thread, a look at how BAS went about it in OFP may give you some ideas, although you seem to have it all figures out already!

Ganbate!

Fastroping animation for the unit (static or animated)

More information on what situations it would be used in

(Is it used to extract units too?)

Fastroping is used when you want to deploy troops fast and you can't (because of obstacles) or don't want to touch down. The aircraft is able to gain speed quite quickly and fly off afterwards. When you toch down the aircraft needs to take off again and that takes more time, making it exposed to enemy fire longer.

Rapelling can also be used, especially when the height you have to rapell from is too high for fastroping. For a small team it's just as fast as when using fastrope. The downside is that you are attached to the rope and on the ground you need to detach yourself first. This takes time and sometimes goes wrong (operation nimrod for example). That's why fastroping was developed, so that troops would be able to insert quickly and don't need to detach themselves from a rope.

A sad proof of the downsides of rapelling is that last month during a open-day of the Royal Netherlands Army a Dutch soldier was unable to detach himselve from the rope after rapelling with 3 other men from a Navy helicopter. Because of the downwash and the lack of attention from the crewchief the helicopter flew away nose down at full speed dragging the soldier over the ground against trees, fences and buildings for 500m before discovering it's fatal mistake. The soldier sadly died later that day as a result of his injuries.

In fastroping to thick rope is often dropped after all troops are deployed doring a combat 'jump'. When there is no danger of enemy fire that rope is hauled back in.

Extraction can be done in two ways also; the ladder and the SPIE method. The rope ladder is done when you have enough time, but no place to touch down. It's not really fast. The SPIE method is when you attach yourself to a rope and hang from the belly of the aircraft for the rest of the ride (pictures already posted earlier in this thread).

Someone also mentioned the fastrope can be used to extract people. That's not true', at least not with a smooth rope as used during fastroping. In the past there was a method of a rope with a number of knots which soldiers could stand on. That was a fast way of extracting a number of men. Today this is no longer used as far as I know. The SPIE method is much saver and just as fast and SOF use this method instead.

Fastroping is a good idea for this game, as unlike other games, Arma can use certain scripts.  I would only go as far as fast roping and not picking up the units that way, otherwise it would get too complicated and you would be a sitting duck for anything shooting at you...

But fastroping into urban environments is a good way to get a lot of troops on the ground where normally a helicopter of that size would not be able to land.

normally the rope would be dropped after the last man, as you don't want to be flying around with a loose rope hanging from your 11 million dollar helicopter(no need to correct me, I know they are expensive, that's my point).

example why you might need to fast rope into an urban situation - also notice the rope drops and they take off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htqYWmbnpkU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htqYWmbnpkU

here the chopper gets in quickly, drops the rope, and also notice that they are sort of going single file, that might be a good idea perhaps on the coding part to make it so that the next person goes when the person before them is either off the rope on the ground, or half the way down the rope...i have no idea how the coding for that would be but yeah, pretty much the same player animation, and a dropped rope usually.  You also would probably only need to do 1 rope on the right side as opposed to 2 ropes, as there really aren't that many people or ai ingame that would make 2 worthwhile.

I LOVE THIS and can't wait to see it finished! Keep it up! smile_o.gif

Looks amazing keep it up, should be a great mod. I Hope the installation is eay though im not very good at installing addons.

('yay.gif'wink_o.gif

a great idea, definetly if u could get it to work with MP, would help alot with Evolution.

Just a little update, I've been playing around with this addon lately, I've got the rope moving a bit more realistically, and I've been searching the stock anims for an appropriate animation for fastroping guys. I got the release rope working, and the rope does bunch up as a falling rope would (although it explodes on impact right now because its an invisible car with a flag proxy rofl.gif ). I'm trying to get better aquainted with .sqf scripts but some of it is pretty confusing, but I'd like to stay away from .sqs. I learn new stuff every day so I'm happy! I've also been working on a workhorse\tech demo vehicle, the sexy black MH-60L....

mh60l.jpg

I'm kind of an antennaphile, so I like my blackhawks covered in sensors and flare launchers! Its all on the up and up too, no hacked or ripped models, I just made all the extra bits like the nose dome and antennas as a separate model, config it as a soldier, and through a run-once script I put it into a certain seat of the chopper. The back row of seats will be gone and replaced with the aux fuel tanks. I'm starting on the flare launchers and the side winch, so they aren't in this pic. I'm planning on having working flares, but I've also started work on some "helicasting" action, where you drop a boat and your guys jump out into it. Because the extra bits are classed as a soldier, it can have a weapon proxy so I can use the original dingy model to make it look like its attached to the blackhawk, so I don't have to setpos anything to make it look good. Anyways, its been sooo hot here lately that I've been unable to do anything outside, so I've been working hard on some of my projects.

P.S. I AM going to make the MH-60K with, yes, the super awsome refueler probe that makes it look super bad ass!!!

I'm speechless mate, your reasoning behind adding all of the 'extras' onto the blackhawk is simply incredible.