Sign in to follow this  
Spokesperson

SEC Blacklist

It looks like companies like Nokia, Siemens, Volvo, Cadbury, AstraZeneca etc "sponsor terrorism".

AstraZeneca sells medicine to Cuba. As a result they are listed as terrorist sponsors.

I wonder what kind of terrorism Cuba is involved in.

Maybe Fidel Castro attempted to assasinate _himself_. The CIA hired the mob and tried hundreds of times, and admitted just recently. But they are no terrorists, they are true freedom fighters, just like the medieval crusaders. When cubans expose people that work for the CIA on cuban soil they are put into jail (just like any other country would do), in the rest of the US-owned world they're called political prisoners. The enemies of everything Castro stands for own media, they make people believe whatever they want them to believe. Maybe it's Cuba that blows tourist aeroplanes over Cuban aerospace (do we hear about this in our "democracies"?). Posada Carriles, the Usama Bin Laden of south america certainly works for Cuba, _not_ USA. It's Cuba that shoots tourists at their own beaches. It's Cuba that sponsors invasion attempts on US soil. It's Cuba that got homeless people and unemployement. And it's Cuba that got "you-get-what-you-pay-for" health care and education. The infant mortality rate, a measure of healthcare standards, is _not_ higher in the USA. Really.

I've had enough of this hypocrisy!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/7e44fdee-25a2-11dc-b338-000b5df10621.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Posada_Carriles

Freedom fries for everyone !

You know about the french attempt to

murder G.W by offering him freedom fries in a cup ?

They got inspired by the pretzel incident.

fries.jpg

They really tried to trick him but their cover was blown

by Secret service right when G.W. was reaching out for the cup to take a deep gulp wink_o.gif

*Eating Freedom Fries*

Damn these are good I wonder who invented these.

Right... banghead.gif

http://www.sec.gov/edgar/edgartlistfilings.htm

Quote[/b] ]Countries the Secretary of State Has Designated as State Sponsors of Terrorism

Cuba

Iran

North Korea

Sudan

Syria

The five countries listed here are those the Secretary of State currently identifies as State Sponsors of Terrorism pursuant to Section 6(j) of the Export Administration Act, Section 40 of the Arms Export Control Act, and Section 620A of the Foreign Assistance Act.

http://www.sec.gov/edgar/edgartlistfilings.htm

Nokia Corporation http://www.sec.gov/edgar/tlist/iran/nokia924613-i.htm

Quote[/b] ]As we are a global company and have sales in most countries of the world, in 2006 we also had sales to customers in Iran, Libya, Sudan and Syria. In 2006, we sold mobile devices and accessories to customers in Iran, Libya, Sudan and Syria. In addition, we sold network equipment to a customer in Iran. In 2004, we also signed a network sales contract with a customer in Libya, but that contract had not resulted in any sales by the end of 2006. Our aggregate sales to customers in Iran, Libya, Sudan and Syria in 2006 accounted for approximately 1% of our total revenue, or EUR 402 million. Iran and, to a lesser extent Syria, are subject to US economic sanctions that are primarily designed to implement US foreign policy. The US government has designated Iran, Syria and Sudan as “state sponsors of terrorism.â€

I think they should actually have some proof that those companies they listed are actually supporting terrorism, which I am quite sure they are completely unable to prove into any direction. This list is a 'guilty until proven not guilty' list. If you operate on said countries, you are implied to be supporting terrorism. It is of course not that simple but that's exactly why you shouldn't come up with a simple list like that.

Also why would all those companies follow the U.S. foreign policy? Does the U.S. think that in order to fight terrorism, Nokia should not sell any mobile phone network technology or mobile phones to the said "State sponsors of Terrorism" countries? Does that reduce terrorism? Or could it be that it reduces the likelyhood of terrorism as the said countries develop their infrastructure and their citizens get more up-to-date technology, thus improving the quality of life of their citizens?

Isn't it wonderful?

I think a list of all companies and institutions that have supported the illegal acts of war started by the G.W.B. administration should be made too.

Baddo

The countries listed got nothing to do with terrorism anyway. They are just enemies of the US.

Heretic -> Witch -> Communist -> Terrorist

Al-Qaeda did it = A witch did it.

There was little terrorism before 9/11. Now it's everywhere. Al-Qaeda did it, it's behind everything. Earthquakes, Floods, Diseases and other disasters.

*Eating Freedom Fries*

Damn these are good I wonder who invented these.

Belgians icon_rolleyes.gif

I bet Al-Qaeda is actually causing the Global Warming..

Has anyone measured how much co2 an AK frees into the atmosphere when fired crazy_o.gif

World Police is now telling other who to trade with.. Brilliant..

Why isn't US itself on that list? I mean McVeigh did blow up a bomb there once and he was employeed by the US government when he was in the army so (by this logic) wasn't the US government supporting terrorism when they paid McVeigh his salary, and therefore anyone trading with the United States should be on that list.. icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]There was little terrorism before 9/11

Bullshit. Have a look around icon_rolleyes.gif

The air raid siren codes were still up on the walls of my elementary school in Florida 20 years after the Cuban Missile Crisis (and that was 20 years ago now sad_o.gif ), I suppose that would comprise a form of 'terrorism'.

K, now for a n00ber slap.

The issue involved is general embargo's, and pretty much all of these predate Bush '41, let alone Bush '43. So get your context straight first.

This is contextually no different than pretty much every Arab nation refusing to recognize the existence of Israel, and thus in effect placing an embargo on any direct financial transactions.

With the expansion of globalization so roundly criticized by the knee-jerk haters, the net effect of the hydra model of corporate governance has directly neutered the ability of the US Government to enforce its embargo's for it's long standing foreign policy concerns.

Take for example Nokia. You have a wholly US corp controlled by a foriegn corp. Nokia USA would get busted up big time if they sold anything to anyone on the black list - which by the way has a list of individuals as well as nutjob states. But there's nothing the US can do against the foriegn Nokia corp except whine in public.

Now this SEC endeavor is likely just capitalizing on a growing trend in the US and other investment markets referred to as 'moral investing'. It's functionally no different than publishing a list of Gay activist companies, Environmental activist companies, and so on, for idealistic individuals to target their money at.

So before you grab your torches of impatient malcontent, please do us all a favor and do a bit of research before you start passing the koolaid around.