Sign in to follow this  
NZXSHADOWS

Model Capture

Some may know some may not but here is a tool that can rip models from games. Ran across it today thought it was something worth mentioning. Like i said some may know some might not. I know i didnt. So if you want to make some type of modified to BIS Model's etc, heres a good way to do so. Even exports the uv mapping an textures to a folder. You can even get the interior model out. Heres the link.

3D Ripper DX

3Ds Renders

AHpic.gif

AV.jpg

UH60.jpg

HMMV.jpg

Can you please be more specific, does this rip out all LODs and stuff, I had the impression from the dx site that it captures a frame... so does it only capture the LOD that is in that frame at the moment? Can this be considered real way to get ArmA models to O2 (through 3dsmax)?

Before I go and get that 3dsmax I'd like to know how good this program really is. If it leaves out much important model information I wont bother.

Everyone knows this...

The problem is it ripps textures and models only. And these we can do on our own (to our great enjoyment).

The thing we're missiong the most is how to configurate the meshes to work well in ArmA.

Snakeman: no, it's ripping off the DX. It means it only exports meshes and textures as-seen in the game.

No configs, no LODs (apart from currently visible resolution LOD), no lightmaps if their source isn't "tex".

Yep, works real nice .... if not a problem with copyrights confused_o.gif

From MS FSX

Glider_2.jpg

For some reason the canopy was the only thing that didn't come inside the rip. So I had to make myself.

Yes, the hard bit is getting it into ArmA with all the other extras .... like %$#^%#$%^ shadows. (no, the LOD 10000 creates lighting problems)

Can you please be more specific, does this rip out all LODs and stuff, I had the impression from the dx site that it captures a frame... so does it only capture the LOD that is in that frame at the moment? Can this be considered real way to get ArmA models to O2 (through 3dsmax)?

Before I go and get that 3dsmax I'd like to know how good this program really is. If it leaves out much important model information I wont bother.

What Ripper does is yes captures a frame with a view distance an gathers all the geometry in that range an creates a .3dr file or a .OBJ file that can be open with 3D Max or a program that can import .OBJ files. then from there you can export to .3ds an bring it into O2 an work from there.

Whoah! nice plane gnat, think you can release it?ArmA realy needs more planes.

Somehow doesn't work correctly. When I try to do it in ArmA, I just get nothing when I import it into 3DS... If I activate the wireframe-view, I just see that the order menu on the top left corner gets a "wireframe". When I test it in BF2, I just get the gun and the hand...

Do I have to change some options like "capture whole screen, not just my hands" or something?

@Gnat

Indeed very very nice! Reminds me to the hang glider in OFP - hell I loved this addon, it's peace, it's total freedom and it's silence biggrin_o.gif Please, release it..!

@Gnat

Indeed very very nice! Reminds me to the hang glider in OFP - hell I loved this addon, it's peace, it's total freedom and it's silence biggrin_o.gif Please, release it..!

He can't. MSF model. Microsoft would get on his *** for sure if they saw it. Some companies wouldn't bother but...

He could find an MSF addon and get author's permission trougth. But then it would be easier to just ask for MAX file. icon_rolleyes.gif

So the only possible use would be raimporting models from ArmA... Which wouldn't change much I'm affraid.

well i think its a cool little program. With some work you can mod some the vehicles an what not the way you want to.

UH-60.jpg

@ July 01 2007,14:03)]
@Gnat

... Microsoft would get on his *** for sure if they saw it. ...

So there's nothing 'wrong' with ripping off BIS's stuff in the same manner for 'personal' purposes? banghead.gif

@shinRaiden...

'1 LOD does not an AddOn make' as the saying goes.

Bare in mind, if they were to use this 1 captured LOD in a ArmA model and release it they still have to create the other 25 (approx) odd LOD's (in the case of an aircraft) for thier modified aircraft for their version to be any good.

It's great as a reference to line up, size and scale one's own models.

@Gnat

So there's nothing 'wrong' with ripping off BIS's stuff in the same manner for 'personal' purposes?  banghead.gif

He said if he released it.

So there's nothing 'wrong' with ripping off BIS's stuff in the same manner for 'personal' purposes?  banghead.gif

It's been beaten over and over. The sheer frequency of how people bash it doesn't change the fact that we do not know and BiS doesn't - AFAIK - prohibit it.

It is also a fact that ripping BiS lods itself won't make a good addon.

On the other hand we can for example ripp soldier's face with UV coordinates and use it on our soldiers (shall anyone get all these damn selections right without any documentation or example models). whistle.gif We do retextures all the time and it's basically the same - an addon using BIS face mesh and texture.

@Gnat

I wouldn't call it ripping BIS's stuff thats allready included in the game, more like adding things to what BIS included in game like what was done with OFP addons... thats where addons for OFP started from.

@Gnat

He said if he released it.

Yes, I'm good, but I don't think I can take MS on ! Mad mad mad if anyone was to try.

As for BIS own addons, give it time and they'll provide some themselves to the cummunity as they did in OFP. "Educational purposes only" ... fair enough too.

It doesn't work for me sad_o.gif

I just download the latest version of the Ripper, install it, launch ArmA with it and press F11. All I see is the "wireframe" of my screen, means a grey line from the top left corner to the bottom right one. I can capture the wireframe of the ural in front of me... Do I have to change some configs of the Ripper? Please help huh.gif

PS: Got an ATI card, has it something to do with that?

Quote[/b] ]PS: Got an ATI card, has it something to do with that?

I guess yes. I know Ripper doed work with arma, ubt it doesn't work for me( I run X1600Pro)

It doesn't work for me sad_o.gif

I just download the latest version of the Ripper, install it, launch ArmA with it and press F11. All I see is the "wireframe" of my screen, means a grey line from the top left corner to the bottom right one. I can capture the wireframe of the ural in front of me... Do I have to change some configs of the Ripper? Please help huh.gif

PS: Got an ATI card, has it something to do with that?

Try pressing F12 instead.

wtf... When i try to import the .3dr format into 3ds max i can't do it.. because there is no .3dr file type available sad_o.gif

help?

wtf... When i try to import the .3dr format into 3ds max i can't do it.. because there is no .3dr file type available  sad_o.gif

help?

Use a program called Deep Exploration. Or simmilar if you find one.

wtf... When i try to import the .3dr format into 3ds max i can't do it.. because there is no .3dr file type available

When you installed the Ripper program it gives an option at the start to "install Max Plugin" ..... unless you selected that it won't work.

Oh yes I found it! It didn't install in the first time because i didn't have 3ds max installed smile_o.gif Thanks for the help smile_o.gif