Sign in to follow this  
iconoclastdx

Is the horrible vehicle steering optional?  UGH!

Ive search and I couldnt find anyone complaining about the horrible vehicle steering in ArmA. It would be much better if the wheel positions would corresond to a x-axis mouse position. Having to continuously move the mouse in a direction just to keep the wheel in a turned state is ridiculous. Sometimes I dont know what they were thinking.

Just use the keyboard for driving and all is fine!

.......Sometimes I dont know what they were thinking..................

They were thinking game console

Using the keyboard is even worse. It doesn't give you full lock within a decent amount of time.

Even driving with a steering wheel doesn't work, because the controls for it seem to lag behind by about 2 seconds, which makes it feel all wrong.

I drive with the mouse, but you need to be careful when driving any vehicle that isn't a tank in this game. You eventually sort of get used to it.

AI seem to have good skill driving on roads (bendy ones)..

If you set an AI driver in a jeep, then tell him to move to a certain co-ordinate, he will FIND the road too .. pretty cool.

erm mabe its because you simply have to get used to it, look at Gran turismo against Burnout, they feel different, once you get used to it, its fine

Guest Ti0n3r

I've used the keyboard to drive for 6 years (OFP & ArmA) and never had a problem with it. Just make sure to use the break a lot and you should be fine...

Use a modern mouse, that will help. wink_o.gif

I use a Logitech G7, with that mouse i can change the mouse resolution on the fly.

Without that feature driving is hard to handle, but the solution is simple.

If its that much of a problem, use both. On big turns I tap the key, and use the mouse to keep me stable.

Quote[/b] ]Ive search and I couldnt find anyone complaining about the horrible vehicle steering in ArmA.

I posted a comment in a single-issue rant thread. Never got round to creating a split screen video showing OFP compared to Arma. In a nutshell OFP = very smooth, ARMA = induced epileptic fit. I can only blame the decision on TrackIR? As no rational person would deem the latter to be better, without some external influence. If it wasn't for the fact that OFP did a better job, I would have probably put it down to an idiosyncrasy of the engine. As it stands now, you just have to alternate between keyboard and mouse while gritting your teeth sad_o.gif

I'm used to the horrible auto centering but I'd have the OFP way back any hour of the day.

I always drive with the keyboard, its not as precise as a mouse but its much easier, and precise enough to drive on the right side of the road anyway. tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Use a modern mouse, that will help. wink_o.gif

I use a Logitech G7, with that mouse i can change the mouse resolution on the fly.

So it looks my MX1000 is already non-modern mouse then.

If you mean with the solution is simple as buy yourself a G7. Then i think i pass. I supported the hardware buisness enough i think to be able to play ArmA as it comes. But if the G7 works 'normal', naming no need for a 3 meter mouse pad i'll be happy to support your input...

Anyway, as others i still don't know what the benefit of this new controle input is compared to what it was (OFP). I know we need to forget and move on, but i'm sure we can all agree the new needs to be an imporvement over the old, no?

Anyway, comes on the list, 'live or die with it' i guess.

I am too using a mouse which has buttons to switch resolutions on the fly - and it really helps, without it the driving would be much more difficult.

Even though i have no problems with the new vehicle controls, i would like it to be as it was in OFP - that was the best, it worked perfectly and it was much more comfortable.

Another pro for the G7, it is full programmable.

Even the little buttons to switch the resolution, can be changed to another function.

I use them in normal function.

The lowest resolution for aiming, the middle for normal movement and the highest resolution for driving.

The G5 offers the same features for a lower price, but it`s not wireless.

I like the OFP style vehicle steering very much I wished the same style would be in Arma were u use the mouse to keep the white dot in the direction where u are heading, made for very precise and smooth steering.

I guess I have been asking for the removal of forced autocenter of mouse when driving a vehicle for about 6 months now. It makes smooth steering of vehicles impossible with mouse. I always end up with constantly insane rolling my trackball to the desired direction. At least for me it is one of the biggest letdowns in vehicle control. No improvement at all to switch to this kind of XBox controller settings, but one of the biggest flaws and letdowns in vehicle control one could think of.

@the ones propagating the use of keyboard: there isn´t much sense in using something bulky to control a vehicle if you got something smooth to do it. In OFP the vehicle control was much more fluent and consistent with mouse, right now it has turned into a joke with the imported XBox- controller settings.

I seriously HOPE this is on the BIS to-do list. It´s a joke to me that it was much better in OFP and has been downgraded for Arma just because they imported the controls from XBox Elite version.

I use my joystick to steer the vehicles. But there is something still weird about the way they handle. It's like there isn't much response near center and it isn't until you give almost full deflection then suddenly you get a ton of steerage. This causes you to oversteer very easily.

Thats because mouse/stick steering is set up to take keyboard/button/ on/off type of input thus completely negating the advantages of an analog input. Its the most retarded thing Ive seen in a game. Shame.

vote +1 for removeal of auto centering for Land base Wheeled vehicals

PLZ! i dont want to crash into a tree because of the fuckin understeers cause by it!

and the damn bike mp bug too!!! crazy_o.gif

Use a modern mouse, that will help. wink_o.gif

I have logitech too and the resolution change is a handy tool. Can't u adjust mouse sensitivity in-game(VIA controls)???

+2 vote to remove auto centering. (and also get rid of the forced head turn when steering)

There are two little buttons on the mouse, that are used to set the resolution up, or down.

There is no need to left game, or call the options menu.