Sign in to follow this  
SeXyWombat

US Light Infantry - a few questions

Didn't really know where to post it, guess that since I'm asking about RL stuff it belongs in here.

Anyway - I'm working on a mission for ArmA and to make it at least slightly realistic I need some answers:

1. Are US Light Infantry HMMWVs operated by members of infantry squads, or do they have their own designated drivers/gunners ? If not, how many members of the squad typically disembark before the assault ?

2. How would the callsigns be assigned in the case of infantry company assault supported by a tank platoon ? Would every squad have it's specific callsign, or would it be assigned on a platoon level ? Is it even remotely possible to have such an operation supported by Harriers, or should I go with A10's ?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Wombat,

I don't know how it works in the U.S. Army, but in the Marine Corps, certain infantrymen within a company with valid drivers licenses are made to attend humvee school which is a little over a week.

Then whenever the company needs a humvee driven somewhere, we have one of the guys with a humvee license drive.

In theater howere such as Iraq, it's not uncommon for basically anyone to be told to get in the drivers seat of a humvee assuming that noone thinks he will crash it.

So generally if a squad or a platoon wants to go somewhere, they will say something like "Hey, get anderson from 2nd squad to drive, he's pretty good."

That's basically how it works.

Now as for you question as to callsigns, every company has its own callsign. From there, it is just broken down. So for example if you're in Alpha company, and the company callsign is say ... Apache, and you're in 2nd platoon, 3rd squad. - Your squad callsign would be Apache 2-3.

Every unit on the battlefield has a radio callsign. So that means tanks, and air as well.

I hope this answers your question.

If you have any others, especially about Marine infantry, then my email is e3green@hotmail.com

Didn't really know where to post it, guess that since I'm asking about RL stuff it belongs in here.

Anyway - I'm working on a mission for ArmA and to make it at least slightly realistic I need some answers:

1. Are US Light Infantry HMMWVs operated by members of infantry squads, or do they have their own designated drivers/gunners ? If not, how many members of the squad typically disembark before the assault ?

2. How would the callsigns be assigned in the case of infantry company assault supported by a tank platoon ? Would every squad have it's specific callsign, or would it be assigned on a platoon level ? Is it even remotely possible to have such an operation supported by Harriers, or should I go with A10's ?

Thanks in advance.

Ok...here's from the army side...I would point out, however, that this is just our loadout in Iraq.  Unique theaters make for unique operational requirements.  When we'd go out it was usually 3 trucks to a squad...the team leader and the squad leader each commanded one truck with each team leader designating 2 of his guys as kinda-sorta permanent driver and gunner...the third team member is given over to the Squad Leaders truck.  So, three squad members per truck as crew, plus a medic and sometimes an interpreter thrown into the mix.  If we had to dismount or what not, it was usually 2 of the truck commanders, the medic, and maybe one of the drivers or gunner if we absolutely needed a 4th man, which most of the time we didn't.  This was just for regular patrols.

In our particular case, it was kind of moot most of the time...we spent our first 11 months attached to I MEF and they were kind enough to loan us enough Marines to pump our squad strength up to 12 men. Then we had quite a few dismounts.

Actual specific operations, like focused raids and such were a completely different ball game.  Obviously each operation tweaked things a little bit, but for the most part, it was basic US infantry doctrine that can be found pretty much anywhere on the internet.  For a platoon size raid, the 3 squads would be split into 3 elements..a security element, a support element, and an assault element.  The security and support elements were usually mounted..with security focus outward and support focused inward toward the objective..the assault squad would usually just ride in the empty seats of the other 2 squads humvees then completely dismount in order to hit the objective.

Callsigns are pretty much standard across the board as 0311 pointed out...considering you aren't working any element larget than company, it would usually be company designation "Alpha", "Bravo", "Barbarian" (this was ours), "Apache"...etc. followed by platoon number and then an individual designator.  Designators 1-4 are reserved for squads or sections, 6 is the commanding officer, 7 is the highest ranking NCO, and 5 is the XO if the element you are trying to reach has an XO..the 8 and above would be other elements if appropriote, such as other vehicles or such.  For example, "Alpha-3-1" would be Alpha company, 3rd platoon, 1st squad..."Charlie-1-7" would be Charlie company, 1st platoon, Platoon Sergeant..."Delta-6" would be Delta Company Commanding Officer...etc.  Easy. So, in that instance, the attached tanks or what-not would just keep thier organic callsigns..in cases where there would be some confusion...the attached unit would probably just make one up to alleviate the confusion..like 1st Plt, A Co. 1/1 armor attached to A Co. 1/43 Infantry might decide to take the callsign "Abrams" or something simple like that so everyone understands who they are on the net.