Sign in to follow this  
tekpc007

Make it a MMOFPS

yes MMO    craft vehicles...   gain rank ... user made land areas that can be added to the mmorpg...

flame away! lol

the crafting/experience/rank part no.

But hundreds/thousands of players interacting and affecting the outcome of a virtual war yes.

However, I think it'll be limited to the dozens as far as player count goes online.

Promlem with this is that a MMOFPS requires a lot of developer maintainence and additions over time which limits the scope for more advanced different game. That said it is a nice idea, WWIIOL got it right to a certain extent, althought balance between sides is always going to be hard as in real life sides are rarely balenced.

Well I think trying to make it like a WoW, Silkroad, Guild Wars or any other so called massive persistent worlds would make the OFP experience just a clone of the basic character handling of the other MMORPG games (point and click thing) except for EVE online witch is IMO a great game design in the way you control your own ship... (again point and click thing)

But to use it for fantasy characters as it is now or OFP ?? No thanks... you've got to understand that the way MMO's are controlled similar to some RTS (point and click thing) games in witch you point and click to move or attack.

The reason is it used in MMORPG's is simple enough for the low bandwidth required to control your actions witch permits all those players to be virtually active in the same server in witch the server only gets a limited input from the players instead of constant input such as the "W", "S", "A", "D" plus Camera movement and some more stuff in games such as OFP. COD, BF2 and others (flight sims. etc.)

There are others MMO's witch you have real time movement control, such as Guild Wars, But tell me this, when did you see the 500 or 1000 player on your screen, Hmmm ? if you look at the requirement for example Ragnarok with 200 players (15-20 Kbits for each player "Up/Down" plus overhead) = 4000 Kbits or more connection at the server side to handle the inputs at a given time if all players were interacting in the game.

Now take OFP, if our rigs could handle 200 players, plus vehicles, plus Scripts and some other stuff, with the server also capable of it, and a client side connection minimum of 38-70 Kbit! Hmm lets see 200*70 Kbits = 14000 Kbits at server side,,, so it's a simple example of why the MMO games permit so many players logged in without the apparent effects of lag well most of the time and of course super duper server clusters.

I'm not an IT guru but its simple math right. all values are hypothetical of course.

But this is by no means the end of the road for a Massive Persistent On Line Campaign Driven OFP !! no sir... there is a way to do it. I would like to hear your comments ... actually its pretty simple.

Hint: I don't need to see 100's of troops at a given time...

little MMO is Evolution in ArmA wink_o.gif , but I would like similar style from BIS in GAME2, but bigger (more dynamic missions, far-thinking AI commander and others)

Forget multiplayer. Focus on the AI, focus on SP.. Good MP will follow suite..

Well I've played Battleground Europe (WWIIOL) and think it's a cool game, the sound engine and physics are high quality, the vehicle hit points, the models great, but... it's no OFP/ArmA in this respect:

...No AI To Assist You...(ride with you into battle) except for the fixed ones in the cities, yes you could team up with some other guys but normally for infantry for example they are pretty far apart in my experience anyway, no unit "Cohesion" witch is normal in multiplayer games where people seldom play as team only interested in the individual points and ranks..."like me smile_o.gif" but that’s how we are right, take the case of mini-battlefield. I know there are some that play as a team, don't get me wrong, just a simple point, CTI is more team dependant I think.

MMO games what does it mean? 100's, 1000's, zillions of players? for OFP or ARMA I personally would settle for company size battles in a given map per side, 200-300 player-AI-Civs total, including vehicles, if possible. (more like 20 vs. 20 human players or more if posibl and the rest being AI's).

The only time I’ve seen the so called 1000-3000 or more players online is in a game listing, yeah when a was flying a mission in WWIIOL city by city I could see in my side anyway, 20 here, 50 there, 5 tanks heading toward a city and so on...witch is a progressive render of players when you are near them, may be there where 1000's but I didn’t last long for the total count.

WWIIOL it's a cool game but no "AI" ..... AI is the main reason I play OFP/ArmA, they are there when your human teammates are in a different time zone or are busy, they don’t get tired and they will obey your order no matter how "smart" it is smile_o.gif “When I was playing WWIIOL, I missed something in the huge map... my AI’s …"

Here's an example of a game witch has the 1000's of players connected (I said connected not all on the same World or Gamebox witch is the thing your in while you play, of course there other games like WoW witch you travel the world and come up with 100's of players but they are not all rendered in your view until your close to them, called progressive rendering.

Back to the example....

In EVE for example witch is cool if your into that, you log in to the main server witch is the main session, once your there you travel from solar system to solar system via jump gates (hmmm looks like "logout/login") in a virtual galaxy divided into solar systems witch we will call "sub-sessions" this design permits and supports the 1000's of players at any given time, they are just not in your same aahhh,,, “sub-session†or "game box" but you actually move (warp) from "game box" to "game box" in a big-ass global server with a bunch of mini servers (virtual or not) under it... so you actually coexist with about with some 100 or more player in the same game box, probably a lot more smile_o.gif, but hey it's all connected right. (the keyword is connected)...

So does OFP/ArmA support this huh.gif Hmmm..

My suggestion:

Not in the Kernel level (BIS property), no JIP (except ArmA), but yes It can be made to "simulate" a huge multi-session (maps) battle with global strategy reports and orders like WWIIOL !!! or better actually this is “BIS Architecture remember your PBO’s the limit†…. How ? simple in concept... ONE WORD ... Kegetys "FWATCH" "ok that's 2 words",,, with it there is no reason that different game sessions cannot be linked, the outcome of battles will in effect influence the other it does not have to be in real time but it can be... example: Island X "We've captured the airbase expect lots of CAS support on other Islands (server X updates server Y with "FWATCH") either real time or in a sort of game turn on a global scale, hey just like a football game “soccer for the Gringos†wink_o.gif the teams do not all play at the same time in the same field or do they?.

On your other point Connors, Planetside... have not played it but I think and EVE-BF2142 mix ... But plz correct me if I'm wrong "...NO AI..." or yes huh.gif

BIS guys...!! It CAN be made into a MMPOMRPG "Massive Multiplayer Persistent Online Military RPG"!!! or whatever you want to call it. (Without the point and click limitation) all events important to the war effort, commerce and other factors connected.

Well with all those words said thanks goes out to all who don't limit themselves to what's shown, but who seek and create new paths to extend an excellent game-simulator that can be made to whatever you want it to be. (well almost). Ok I'm done...

PS

Spoock you said:

"little MMO"... why ??

(another suggestion ambitious at that... but cool and related to this topic) smile_o.gif

It could be bigger and far reaching...

..Oh yeah about the size of the world in WWIIOL... (witch is about 100's of times bigger than Nogova) think about this: is it really bigger than OFP/ArmA? it is irrelevant actually there is no reason the 256/512 cell size (12.8Km./25.6Km.) in the BIS games will limit you to move only 12.8 Km or 25.6Km ("only" is an under statment smile_o.gif ).

You could actually have a map the size of 128 Km. or 256 Km. with same cell size... or ten times as big ... how? look at WWIIOL, the flatness of the world, the simple looking mountain peaks, ring any bells ?? make the OFP/ArmA units 1/10th their regular size, including basic vegetation, flat terrain great 'frame rate' and again you will get in theory, 10 times the regular View Distances.

Imagine that, instead of regular MP 1200 meters how about 12000 meters with that little trick if it can be made to work... and small mountain objects to simulate the rolling hills or something. You can guide your TOW, Milan, Spandrel (AT-5) or whatever to go to it's 15 sec. flight time (OFP limit) out to a range of Ahhh. 3500-4000 meters? or how bout, Long Range Tank Gunnery (Grrrr) and of course long range Tank Busting with your little Choppas... I Think It's Scary if not cool. No more Mr. solo Rambo I got my 2 Abraham's and I'll just bust through huh ?... again If in theory it can be made to work.

Hey look at Falcon 4, Lock On and others... they seem to fly fast... But as Einstein put it "It's all relative to the position and speed (size too) of the observer etc." and if done, now we will finelly run out of fuel and fly really high and be able to see our tiny target without exposing much to the AAA.

If add-on makers can make player controlled chickens, there is no reason they can't make hand grenade size Units, and binocular size Hummers, or on the other side of the coin Godzilla size General Guba ... Ok I got carried away but blame OFP for that smile_o.gif Hey there could be some special Islands for the above examples just to make the missions more multi-capable Air Strikes and what not. All this with your friendly and not so friendly AI to keep you company. Talk about "Fantastic Voyage" well that was way smaller and inside of the veins of an old dude.

I realize this is a major feat but it would work great in Air and Sea Battle where distances make the strategy better (challenging) … those dudes pushing for smaller cell size well I don’t know, more polys to process?, it may be limited to a game box like BF2 to small for a cool transition from theater to theater.

battle theater that is!!!

Quote : “You are limited by your imagination, not your hardwareâ€

by me

Sorry for all those opinions I got more to say but that’s it for now… I think these are doable suggestions without wishing for a Magic BIS Ferry to do it all for Us… I realize they are working hard to satisfy the most demanding requests, thanks goes out to you BIS and the people who build on OFP/ArmA.

I'd love to see an OFP/ArmA style MMO, however it would be more like WWIIOL in nature (which I'm still playing after 3 years or so).

You have 2-3 islands, one with a lush environment, one that is arid, and one that is tropical or tundra like.

The lush environment would have features from several parts of the world, it would have rolling hills like in Missouri (USA), it would have farms with hedgerows like Normandy, it would have mountains like the Alps (Switzerland), it'd have rivers and creeks, vast forests like the Ardennes and overgrown forests like parts of the US. The towns would be European/American like w/o large highways/interstates.

The arid environment would have cities like Iran/Iraq, as well as hilly areas like Israel. It would also have mountains like Afghanistan. However the arid island, would have mini islands between the others, especially the lush island, that resemble areas like Spain, Italy, Tunisia, etc... Fertile areas would only be near lakes/seas and rivers.

Dude no just no. OFP, ArmA they are a game but a game that modified by the community ! If it was massacred into a MMO that experience of the community would be destroyed goodnight.gif

Mods would disappear

Our Favourite maps would die off aswell ( CTI/CTF/Roleplay/DM/TDM would all die off )

Hell no that shouldnt happen banghead.gif

Its a military Simulation, but a game version at that, for people to buy and enjoy to make missions to play missions, to make addons/mods/sounds/faces anything you can think of !

Its Modfied !

My last say on this is ! NO, please BI dont take all thats good from OFP/ArmA And turn it into a WoW or Huxley game.

Just my say in this suggestion wink_o.gif

Sorry for the misunderstanding.. tounge2.gif by all means I did not sugest a total permanent conversion just 1 more Mod...(IMO the biggest witch every one could take part at different times or sessions an will affect the outcome in there little part of a map)

I was thinking some sort of map to map data sharing wich "BIS if it wants could build it for us" ... as this is possible with "FWATCH" to make the "SAME OFP/ARMA" even bigger an more capable and of course the open ended Modding would stay... I only got a Little carried away by the same possibilities of the game.

In a nutshell... CTI/CTF/Roleplay/DM/TDM and any MOD could be integrated depends on you preference in a big battle spanning several maps, some of you would say, it will not work, to much trouble, people will not bother and a hole lot of stuff to make this work... I am personally more incline to a Realism battle... CTI is more my thing... 'CTF-DM ' is not... it's fun but the game offers more than that.

I am personally very interested in this type of Mod/Campaign because is just not a session but several battles with a global purpose. for now I commented on the possibilities, not a definitive plan.

I have some drafts about the design all of witch build on the more capable Mods... My wish is not to rebuild the wheel but to make them more universal for those who wish to play another Mod. Forget WoW and all others (I fine those things boring and sickening... I just don't like them but if you guys do I respect that.)

If OFP/ArmA did not have all that scripting support, freedom of action, AI's an its orders structure... I would not be writing this. or playing the game. biggrin_o.gif

Forget the tittle MMO and it's typical method of control this is not about that...

Crafting vehicles? No thanks.

But some MMO elements would be great.. ongoing war etc Ranking in campaign.

I think BIS are moving towards the idea... e.g. the Armoury has unlockables etc.

if they were to turn it into an MMO I think they should use a sort of class system. Not like Battlefields in that you can change your role at whim but rather more like the fantasy MMO's where if you choose to play as an elf, or medic, then you will be a medic for the rest of your "career." Instead of quests create objectives. As for teamplay and the like set up "guilds" or companies that clans or groups of friends can create that have a required chain of command. For objectives, have preset objectives that you must control in certain areas. Rather than areas of control you must take out specific targets or secure a city. But these must be limited in how many soldiers can carry out this objective or everyone will rush to the nearest or best objectives ignoring the other important objectives. Instead of having people increase in health or better weapons give them more responsibility such as more soldiers to lead or allow them to specialize their role even further.

And to keep a persistent world, allow players the ability to rebuild what they've lost. If you lost a radio tower or a base, allow certain classes that aren't normally seen as that important, such as engineers, to rebuild these things, as well as build structures to advance your army along the front lines.

If you are to make a MMO for this type of game there must be structure for every single player. Everyone must have something to do and actually want to do it. To do this there must be many choices as well as many guides as to where or what you must do.

A rank system globally isnt bad. But elfs ..... no fantasy shit thankyou. You want elfs go play WoW smile_o.gif

A rank system globally isnt bad. But elfs ..... no fantasy shit thankyou. You want elfs go play WoW  smile_o.gif

He didn't want it in the game. He was using it as an example. ... for example:

Instead of an elf, have a medic.

Instead of a dwarf, have a AT soldier.

Instead of a human, have a rifleman.

Instead of a dragon, have a blackhawk pilot.

Instead of a troll, have an engineer.

etc. etc.

Dude no just no. OFP, ArmA they are a game but a game that modified by the community ! If it was massacred into a MMO that experience of the community would be destroyed  goodnight.gif

Mods would disappear

Our Favourite maps would die off aswell ( CTI/CTF/Roleplay/DM/TDM would all die off )

Hell no that shouldnt happen  banghead.gif

BloodOmen, you just summed up my thoughts exactly.  One of the biggest reasons I play OFP/ArmA is because it's NOT an MMO. icon_rolleyes.gif

Nothing stomps out creativity like making everyone play the same, watered down style of gameplay.  And from what I've seen, because MMOs are geared to be assessable for everyone so they can make the most $$$, they all end up very similar... well the successful ones anyway (not to mention boring imo).

The world has enough MMOs already, no need to change the good thing we've got with the OFP/ArmA community!  After all, it is the community which will eventually undertake the creation of the huge, "persistent" maps, and they will come in many forms.

Indeed, variety is the spice of life, and OFP/ArmA allows us to create anything we can imagine (well once tools are in hand).

On a side note, I have nothing against BIS in the future giving us the living, breathing world promised in Game2, so long as we can still create our own missions, and just like we like em. tounge2.gif

thank you jakerod that is what I meant. The reason I believe a system, like that would work is because then we would have more specialized soldiers in squads and that way we dont have rambos or jack of all trades out there knowing only a little of everything but not enough of each.

As for the ranking leveling system, instead of increasing health allow the player to specialize further in a sort of tech tree. Like if you're a medic you can be a field medic in a squad or a medic in a chopper type situation. Though I believe everyone must begin as a private you should receive no specialization just the basics so you can learn how to move as a team and take orders.

Titles, definitions, meanings, there is a word called research, according to the Wikipedias definition here in small words basically: "a large number of players interact with one another in a virtual world" and "persistent world, usually hosted by the game's publisher, which continues to exist and evolve while the player is away from the game".

Hmmm, it's almost synonymous ONLY to: WoW, EVE online, Silkroad, Anarchy Online, Guild Wars, Mu online .... bla bla bla,,, and about a 100 or more.

Most of them are fantasy based sort of Zelda, Fable, Enclave and others if you have played them. What, are you guys still viewing this topic with those eyes ?

Come on, let's go back to the first paragraph, the definition, Many players interact in a virtual world ?, like yahoo chat, IRC or like Quake, Unreal, BF, OFP inlove.gif and many many others. In the second definition "Persistent World even if the player is not logged in", what is that a joke rofl.gif iv'e seen the gameplay and tried it, sorry but I don't have the 10 hour a day (or more) time to level up my character to the next armor level so people can see my greatness in again the virtual world but, persistent huh.gif it looks the same to me, no change in the buildings, NPC (non player character) just standing in the same place, selling some of the same stuff !!! immune to my effort to sucker punch him and take the loot by force ?? banghead.gif talk about limited so called persistent world, ok YES it's persistent all right, the same thing over and over killing the same monsters that never stop spawning, of course with less effort once I'm a level 480000 with all the 6 to 10 months effort of the same persistent world.

Your guys are right, OFP/Arma should not be like that or follow in the same footsteps, so get your creativity going and don't think about what you've seen, think about what you want to make it more interactive in a Modified optional connected environment.

Not so much as BF stats thing. more like "Stickler" ideas thumbs-up.gif

The game would not be persistent in the same respect as you might think but more unpredictable, the buildings can be configure differently, the vegetation change according to the virtual climate or warfare erosion, you could set up factories witch you may operate and decide on the product and research to be performed, manage sea ports, the local mini market, transport fuel and supplies to the other team members.

You could be a ranked up NCO with your AI (of course the AI you receive could be high in intelligence and engagement distances "damn nothing like getting your AI team to take out a Rambo player at 400 meters or more, so when you decide to engage the enemy AI you better have twice the support or more if you are in dis-favorable terrain, no more "the AI is stupid", it may lack creativity in tactical situations but it can be made to engage a lot quicker than it currently does and with the help of human player directing the fire, well you get the point...)

What, am I getting carried away ? are you sure ? do other game support this ? can you do that and more with those MMORPG ?

This can be done with OFP/Arma,,, Now !!! it may be a use up name 'mmorpg' well don't called it that, called it what ever you want, after all Multiplayer, Persistent, Character ranking RPG, it is not limited to what you think of it now, it's just a definition it does not dictate GAMEPLAY...

What, when you play OFP/Arma, are you not playing Multiplayer, Persistent world ? Character ranking of course if you in a clan, experience that too, mostly to yourself because you know more the a noob how to take out a T72, or what different servers don't make it massive only because they are not connected*

*(please read other post by me on this topic 'data sharing servers'wink_o.gif.

The only way I'd like to see "Game 2" be an MMO would be if it were like Planetside, where the ranking would have an inherent balance system, the bases would be persistent instead of destructible, and vehicle construction upon request from players. Instead of nannites one could have fuel trucks and ammo trucks, as some bases could have WMDs for the forward commanders to order to be launched. Like Planetside, only selected bases would be airbases which had the ability to spawn large airplanes, whilst bases could still spawn helos.

This would only work on the premise that the MMO would not be limited to BIS-created content, but also community-created content, with complete harmony in terms of armor values, ammunition etc. Actually, I think it wouldn't be as utopian as it sounds...

But no RPG stuff - well, only in the sense of Rocket Propelled Grenades... pistols.gif