Sign in to follow this  
shadow

a suggestion to implement a new command

I got a suggestion for you, Suma.

As far as I know, there is no way to make a soldier change side in mid-mission. A "setside" command would be grately appreciated smile.gif

For instance: unitname setside "west"

This would open up alot of new possibilities. Like defecting from the east to join the west etc...

At this point this has to be done as a campaign with two missions.

Another issue that would grately improve OFP and probably extend it's life too (IMO) is a capability to "take clothes".

This could be added to the action-menu. So if you are a west-soldier and take dead east-soldiers clothes you could walk quite close to the enemy without them noticing that you are the enemy. Or maybe this should only be possible for Blackops and Spetznaz's ?

ok. ok. I've played Hitman-Codename 47 alot lately tounge.gif

But if 'realism' is the key-elements of this game, then this would fit very well. The best thing to do if you are to infiltrate the enemy would be to dress like them...

Of course, we don't kow how easy or difficult this would be (I can also hear Suma groaning wink.gif ), but it sounds like a simple exercise, and I'll add my vote for it. These suggestions would indeed open a lot of possibilities.

As you'll see by my recent flurry of topics, detection has been a prime concern for me lately, and the ability to change clothes...Well, doesn't that just get the imagination running off into the night!

yes,, a setside command would be cool,,, imagine a squad of american apache helo's defect to the east, and blow up american bases and stufff tounge.gif

hhmmmmm

****DROOLING**** tounge.giftounge.gif :

One more vote here, if this is feasible. Good idea.

If it is done i hope u can set the side for empty vehicles cause depending on the type it is automatically West(or vice versa) even if a russian player is driving it, so that player shows up enemy to his own team.

Why don't you use the existing command

this setcaptive true ?

That makes the unit non-hostile in the eyes of enemy AI.

Just a suggestion smile.gif

But I do agree 'setside' and 'take clothes' opens up new possibilities. Would be cool to swap cloth/face textures in-game !

Well you got another vote, the commands could help optimize missions loads just using a few people to play lots of diffrent parts in a cutsceen for example.

RED

Hey, great idea. Imagine killing a Ruskie, stealing his clothes, infiltrating his base and blowing it up!

Add my vote.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a war crime to

use enemy clothing? Make them believe that you are not an enemy.

At least spies are often killed when they are detected, during

war..

Because basically, if you don't have a uniform, you are not a soldier. And if you are wearing enemy's clothes then you are

not a soldier, and you don't have the rights that POW:s have?

Well, this has nothing to do with editing, but..

Okay, but if they could at least make the option of using this command available players could decide for them selves whther they want to use it or not smile.gif

BIS, how about it?

This thread is old but not forgotten smile.gif

You can change units to other sides from the mission.sqm manually or by grouping them with group leaders from other sides... setside would be easier though of course

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ July 16 2002,11:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can change units to other sides from the mission.sqm manually or by grouping them with group leaders from other sides... setside would be easier though of course<span id='postcolor'>

Well you can't manually edit the sqm while playing..... The reason I would like the setside-command is because then you can change the player's side during the mission wink.gif

Oh and the ability to take clothes would be cool too. Maybe the enemy would'nt fire upon you untill you are very close to them or something...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe the enemy would'nt fire upon you untill you are very close to them or something...<span id='postcolor'>

This can already be done with the SetCaptive command and the clothes/faces switching could be possible with the new SetObjectTexture command. AFAIK though the ability to change textures must be implemented into the model so you probably need an addon.

Kegetys: Not sure, but with 1.75 I think that the "join" command does not switch your alliance anymore. I was testing that and grouped 10 East to my West guy and even though they joined... I heard one say "Contact" and they obliterated me.  

Atleast they followed my move order... guess they were too well trained to forget that I was originally the enemy.

Hmmm.... Brainwash command??  tounge.gif

I think a setside command would certainly open new doors to mission editing. Imagine spies in your own ranks that are working for the enemy? or a resistance group that doesn't like the way you treat civies so they turn against you?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bloodmixer @ Feb. 20 2002,21:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would be cool to swap cloth/face textures in-game !<span id='postcolor'>

Are we talking Hannibal Lecter here? tounge.gif

I think setside would be an excellent idea, allowing for defectors, spies etc. etc.

Yeah, I was looking for it in the old comref the other week. Only found "side unit" which is to check the side of a unit.

Guest BratZ

Hmm I wonder if joining a team on the other side does it?

I remember long ago,I swear I was messing with camcreate and I could moveindriver(or commander?) in a soldier,I recently tried this and couldn't do this

edit:

Oops opened old post,I was searching for help on something sorry

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a war crime to

use enemy clothing? Make them believe that you are not an enemy.

At least spies are often killed when they are detected, during

war..

Because basically, if you don't have a uniform, you are not a soldier. And if you are wearing enemy's clothes then you are

not a soldier, and you don't have the rights that POW:s have?

Well, this has nothing to do with editing, but.. <span id='postcolor'>

It isn't a warcrime to wear enemy uniform. But..

While the military uniform may be circumstantial evidence that the person in it is a lawful combatant, the laws of war do not recognize the uniform alone as absolute proof that a person is a member of the military.

Combatants are all members of the armed forces of a party to the conflict except medical and religious personnel. They cannot be punished for their hostile acts and if captured can only be held as POWs until the end of hostilities.

Violation of the law of armed conflict does not mean loss of combatant status so long as those responsible are tried and punished. If members of an armed group consistently violate the law of armed conflict and are not punished, that is strong evidence that the group does not qualify as “armed forces,†since it fails to meet the criterion of an internal disciplinary system, and that its members do not have combatant status.

From http://www.crimesofwar.org/

Digging up pre-historic threads just to add nothing is bad.

Closing