Sign in to follow this  
AngusSingle

The relation between a man and vehicles

This feature will never be successfully implemented in the current engine, various efforts by scripters over the years have proved this... (Knowing this, I'm surprised long time members of this board persist in making demands about it's inclusion..)

This reminds me of Joint Ops, where you could stack a Chinook full of vehicles and move around freely inside it or even drive a vehicle off it while flying and use it to cushion your fall  biggrin_o.gif . Fond memories.

Yeah JO was indeed a great game. Had a lot of fun using the ability to move around inside a vehicle... wink_o.gif

The people that don't like this feature wouldn't really need to use it.

They could just sit and wait until the truck/vehicle stops to get out.

But it would be nice to give the other players another alternative action instead of beeing static and useless in those moments. I mean not acting like "rambo" or destroying the spirit of game, but using it with racional sense.

what i don't understand and i would really like to understand is why BIS didn't implement it yet in ArmA. BIS changed alot of stuff since the 1st version, so why not changing this too?

Community almost reached it by using some scripts.

But i might be related with the engine instead and only BIS can reach it at this stage.

I live the present and not the future, so instead talking about Game 2 please talk about ArmA, and use this thread as constructive purpose instead of denieing this from the "start".

To answer the topic i think the relation between a man and vehicles could be better, better in a positive way for MP missions.

If all of this is useless and bla bla text, please close the thread because it is feeding false hopes.

peace. smile_o.gif

I'm not a model maker but I have an idea of how the engine works. I believe that when you get in a vehicle you become the vehicle. Also those games that do do this are on a scale 1/100 the size of this game. It would increase CPU use and net traffic immensely. You may not want to believe that and that's your prerogative but the request is unreasonable. Most of us would not want to swap the size and scale of this game for a tinier game that allows moving in cargo.

Anyone who believes that it's greed and not a technical reason for this feature not being available then what is the reason Joint Ops does not have 100km playing area 200 AI in game?

--Ben

I'm not a model maker but I have an idea of how the engine works.  I believe that when you get in a vehicle you become the vehicle.  Also those games that do do this are on a scale 1/100 the size of this game.  It would increase CPU use and net traffic immensely.  You may not want to believe that and that's your prerogative but the request is unreasonable.  Most of us would not want to swap the size and scale of this game for a tinier game that allows moving in cargo.  

Anyone who believes that it's greed and not a technical reason for this feature not being available then what is the reason Joint Ops does not have 100km playing area  200 AI in game?

--Ben

Benreeper is right,

The reason is to save resources. More than likey it can be done, but at what expense?

I'm perfectly happy just sitting there if it keeps the lag down.

I'm not a model maker but I have an idea of how the engine works. I believe that when you get in a vehicle you become the vehicle. Also those games that do do this are on a scale 1/100 the size of this game. It would increase CPU use and net traffic immensely. You may not want to believe that and that's your prerogative but the request is unreasonable. Most of us would not want to swap the size and scale of this game for a tinier game that allows moving in cargo.

Anyone who believes that it's greed and not a technical reason for this feature not being available then what is the reason Joint Ops does not have 100km playing area 200 AI in game?

--Ben

Benreeper is right,

The reason is to save resources. More than likey it can be done, but at what expense?

I'm perfectly happy just sitting there if it keeps the lag down.

well in that previouse video i didnt see any lag at all. Notice that there were 2 players at least in the game. Meaning it was recorded in MP.

I couldnt see any lag from recorder side. Actually the game seemed preaty smooth.. i really enjoyed it. Maybe they used super computers while recording that video.

Would be nice if BIS could state some word about this and end this ping pong since vbs1 era once for all. The question is Why.

You are binning a game because you cannot stand up in vehicles?

Lack of new (and since eons longed for) engine features I guess confused_o.gif

yeah its a little like Madonna. Its still the same, except its got a plastic arse.

I'll I had in mind for was a mission in a moving plane whilst it had been hijacked. Players would negotiate amongst eachother, a player may even be a secret air marshall that looks just like the other passengers.

Another question:

Can a civilian conceal a weapon without having the "safe weapon" anim place on him as seen in OFP?

Well, in case ppl haven't seen it:

http://www.vbs2.com/site/downloads.html

Check out the technical demo, its a good 1/2 hr long but I distinctly remember seeing a clip of a soldier stepping inside a cargo plane, though I couldn't say whether or not the plane can actually fly with someone active in the cargo. Or if it can fly at all.

Still, one thing I was hoping to see some day is better animations for getting in and out of vehicle. Rather than holstering their weapon and making some bizzare hand movements before zipping out of existence and instantaneously appearing inside a vehicle. I know its a rubbish comparison but GTA pulls it off (albeit by setting you on autopilot and guiding you with brainless pathfinding into the vehicle when you click the button). Being able to open the hatch of an APC and actually move inside the cargo space in order to buckle in would be ace on its own IMHO. xmas_o.gif

Its just not possible with the current engine.

The script method allows ONE person to shoot outside by constanly updating their position to match the helicopter.  It does NOT allow them to move around in cargo and this method is NOT going to work in MP with lots of people in various vehicles.

I agree it would be nice to have this ability and JO was great but in real life soldiers do not move around in cargo.  They are strapped in until insertion.

Some people would like to have more refined animations of people getting in and out of hatches etc but this would also slow the pace of the game so be happy with what we have and we'll see what GAME2 offers... (and who knows what Flashpoint2 will be like)

(and who knows what Flashpoint2 will be like)

Blasphemy! biggrin_o.gif

I agree with you about the whole moving around in cargo thing, it would just be kinda silly having a bunch of people wriggling around in an APC and they wouldn't look right standing/squatting there with their weapons out all the way. Not to mention the hassle of people blocking up hatches on vehicles and stuff.

But I really think better animations for getting into vehicles would make a huge difference. It wouldn't affect performance any to have the hatch of an APC opening and a squad actually stepping up and into it and moving to their seats. The only problem I can see is being able to get into a vehicle at the same time as someone else, which would cause havoc.

But I don't mind the slightly slower pace, the animations would have to be quick since you're often getting into/out of vehicles in a combat zone where lazily climbing out of a car without a care in the world would be frustrating...

I'm finding myself concluding 'wait for game 2' more and more these days, and ArmA is feeling more and more like a dog biscuit to keep us going till its out... Still, its a tasty dog biscuit and I hope ArmA (and its addons) will ensure Game 2 really does have all these cool little features.