Sign in to follow this  
AngusSingle

The relation between a man and vehicles

1. Firstly, in ArmA, can you, for example, walk into the belly of a chinook persay, then the chinook can take off with you inside it, but not sitting down as seen in OFP.

2. Secondly, can it be done above, but with a vehicle?

3. Thirdly, if number one is relevant, would you be able to simply "stroll" out the back of the chinook and deploy a parachute at your discretion?

4. Lastly, is all the above applicable with boats?

Thankyou to anyone who takes the time to reply smile_o.gif

1. no

2. not by default, but doable (see BAS Chinook for OFP)

3. n/a

4. no

You can walk into choppers/boats/etc. as long as they are on ground/not moving. But as soon as a vehicle starts moving you have to be in cargo of it.

You can use boats with the same meathod as the vehicles. It 'locks' it inside the helicopter then will drop it when needed.

proper tools aint out yet, so we still dont know how much we can do to the engine.

do check it back later, as there is more then just some fancy ohhhh-look-at-me features

This reminds me of Joint Ops, where you could stack a Chinook full of vehicles and move around freely inside it or even drive a vehicle off it while flying and use it to cushion your fall  biggrin_o.gif . Fond memories.

This reminds me of Joint Ops, where you could stack a Chinook full of vehicles and move around freely inside it or even drive a vehicle off it while flying and use it to cushion your fall  biggrin_o.gif . Fond memories.

thats one of the use that i dont want to see in MP

has anyone ever tryed to contact BIA on how they did it? Its the most missed feature of the game so it definatly worth a try.

Yeah, when I read the Colby Buzzell's book My War I thought to my self: "what the hell don't our strykers in ArmA have multiple gunner points (airguard hatches etc...)". Driving around with stryker and only one gunner is almost a suicide in PvP...

With scripting, it can be 'simulated'.

But it only works in singleplayer, because this workaround needs to manipulate/correct the player's coordinates for each frame.

The slightest lag would result in peoples floating magically throught the air.

I doubt this can be implemented in the current engine. AFAIK they use a node-attach approach. A collision based check with physics needs very frequent update cycles or you would simply fall through the bottom plate of the helicopter.

thanks guys. that just put me off buying it  smile_o.gif

Bizarre?

You are binning a game because you cannot stand up in vehicles?

You are binning a game because you cannot stand up in vehicles?

Lack of new (and since eons longed for) engine features I guess confused_o.gif

wonder why? i seem to remember it being implemented in VSB1 and part of VSB2.

http://www.virtualbattlespace.com/archive.htm

it's possible. maybe BIS are waiting for something. And yes i know BIA and BIS not same company.

this reply is not to railroad this but to say it's possible but not done yet. maybe when the tools are out, as ArmA is much more moddable.

in fact, gnat in arma mod discussion on this board has troops firing from moving vehicles. smart guy and maybe that's a step closer to getting what is being asked here.

smile_o.gif

maybe these working features dont work in Multiplayer, and maybe thats why they dont want to implement in arma.

But still i dont understand why they dont implement in ARMA. Every body wants this.. and some, as you seen, dont buy it because it doesnt have.

i vote to implemente it in arma smile_o.gif

The reason they don't implement this in ArmA is not because it's not possible, it's because they don't want to.

The more features that are exclusive to VBS1/2 the more easier it is to sell it, otherwise military users might as well buy ArmA.

It's just marketing.

Every body wants this.. and some, as you seen, dont buy it because it doesnt have.

i vote to implemente it in arma smile_o.gif

I don't want this, waste of CPU. Just tweak firing ports and cargo hatches so that they can be used for actual use with multiturret option (it possible now unlike in OFP). If jackie-boy or who ever wants to walk, he can do it aswell outside vehicle.

Basicmethods for defence, recon etc to AI. Me VOTES! AI is one of the biggest disapointment to many still. If it is referred to be same as in old OFP, that cannot be good PR. Result = Lots of non-buyed copies. wink_o.gif

EDIT: Was that convoy thing for VBS implented for actual use, or was it just PR-demo which didn't work or wasn't used/buyed?

thanks guys. that just put me off buying it smile_o.gif

This game is about fighting (combat), its engine is tailored to that end alone. Perhaps you should wait for the upcoming 'Jane's Cargo Loader' to appear, I hear it will feature the ability to do the following in all vehicles:

- Stand in the aisles chatting to another loader.

- Eat packed lunch while looking out of the window.

- Fart and scratch one's behind while the vehicle is moving!!!

Coming soon to a retailer near you!

i think we are running away from the main idea of this thread..

We could turn this negative prespective and try to convince BIS to make this subject possible to happen in ARMA as it should have worked in VBS1. (at least as it worked in VBS1, in that video)

We have videos of it (maybe single player and not mp, but we can see some actions that are only possible in MP)

So I ask to the BIS main Lead Programers:

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Why can't we have this feature working in ARMA aswell?</span>

Because it never "worked" in VBS?

It was a demo that as far as I know was never sold in any great numbers, if at all.

More of a proof of concept, and I certainly don't recall seeing it on the features list on vbs2.com.

So maybe it might be reasonable to stop crying for something that doesnt exist?

Because it never "worked" in VBS?

It was a demo that as far as I know was never sold in any great numbers, if at all.

More of a proof of concept, and I certainly don't recall seeing it on the features list on vbs2.com.

So maybe it might be reasonable to stop crying for something that doesnt exist?

if what you say is true and if it doesn't exit why not making it exist for the future?

I mean people and the community really want this to work and exist.

People are trying to make this work with scripts (you can see in this thread) but its not exactly the same (yet) as we can see from that video.

And still my main question was not answered by you.

if what you say is true and if it doesn't exit why not making it exist for the future?

Err... BI ARE implementing it. But for Game2, not ArmA...

In real life there would be never flying a black-hawk-chopper in hard embattled ground, because a chopper costs round about 300.000 $.

(But of course there are emergency-exceptions).

So in RL the use of a chopper is extremely carefull, not the way which i see in MP where choppers crash every minute.

So its arcade-like to equip choppers with additional gun-power to prevent shooting down. The way you prevent shooting down your choppers is first planing your chopper-mission in a briefing. Plan the routes, handle the chopper extremely carefull, take out the AA-units first, etc.

because a chopper costs round about 300.000 $.

Think you missed a digit or two there mate smile_o.gif UH is like $6 million.

Hehe, 300.000$, image this.

You could drive your foe right into bankruptcy. Just keep ramming

all your choppers into their main battle tanks and important buildings, as these cost a lot more.

I bet even a mediocre BMP cost more than this.

i think i would more like an offical answer from BI about the issus, if they give us a reason behind it, and are reasonable enought, i will accept it