Sign in to follow this  
-ZG-BUZZARD

Wings over Europe

I was just thinking since I got a new flight controller recently that I needed something to replace my aged Jane's Fighter's Anthology, something on the lite side of realism which my friends could also play in a LAN without much hassle or knowledge (well a little bit of knowledge is always required, but oh well), so I searched around a bit and decided to go with the Strike Fighter Project successor called Wings over Europe (US Release: Cold War gone Hot, European Release: Cold War Soviet Invasion), and, as I learned more and more of the game, it reminded me of the openness of OFP and ArmA with regards to addons & stuff, so I was wondering if anybody was into this also from this community? thumbs-up.gif

Atleast few guys over at armedassault.info seem to have it. Checked the box few times, seems to be an interesting game; pretty nice planelist.

Not only that, but also what's been done by the community seems to be pretty cool as well... covering even WW2 whilst the game series only include WWI, Vietnam, and Modern eras... Some addons seem to work for more than 1 game, which is great! And the F-19, F/A-37A Talon (from the movie "Stealth) and the VF-0S from Macross Zero are already provided by the community! biggrin_o.gif

Actually the F-19 was the Stealth Fighter from the Microprose simulation, rumoured to have preceded the official use of the real deal, but that appears to be all lore...

F19stealthfighter_box_front.jpg

Ahh, the nostalgia... I remember flying that on my 286! rofl.gif

But there was an F-19 lookalike, I think it was called X-19... That one I never owned though... smile_o.gif

ha i actually wondered if that thing was real at all.

i mean even revell had a 1:144 scale model :P

I have Wings over Europe and Wings over Vietnam (they work together as one game).

...but after playing it for an hour I always end up going back to LOMAC:FC. The Strike Fighter Project series is a very simplefied simulator. I suggest you teach your friends the basics in that game and they'll get to grips with LOMAC in no time.

The simulators I fly the most are Janes Longbow 2 and LOMAC:FC.

Well, the problem is they are mostly arcadey players (playing lite PC games and mostly console games) so getting them to play Wings over Europe by itself will be a challenge... Heck, I'll bet I'll see them flying planes with gamepads...  crazy_o.gif

Shadow, which extras do you recommend to get? Since I bet there are better terrain things etc etc etc with which to use in WoE?

They are very fun and the lite style sim works very well for 50s-70s aircraft.

Just dont bother with the default US aircraft, they're horribly overmodelled.

BUZZARD @ June 27 2007,23:33)]Shadow, which extras do you recommend to get? Since I bet there are better terrain things etc etc etc with which to use in WoE?

I only have WoV and WoE so I wouldnt know how the previous games in the series are like. Its so long since I last checked out the community mods I wouldnt know what is good and what isnt by today's standards.

Falcon 4:AF or the original 4.0 with Open Falcon... the manual is "merely" over 700 pages long .pdf! tounge2.gif

Good sim though. Same goes for LOMAC, which is pretty easy to use if you just wanna dogfight.

I'm planning on getting LOMAC for myself but for the sake of the sheer MP LAN gaming with my friends which are more expert at beat-em-ups than anything else, I'll guess I'll go easy on them and get Wings over Europe...

Now I only need to know which terrain and extras to get since I've already discovered a plethora of great extra planes to fly! biggrin_o.gif

Shadow, you said that WoV and WoE play as one game, would that be like OFP and Resistance? wow_o.gif I just hope that the WoV terrains etc are also available for WoE, from third party that is, and better than the original! thumbs-up.gif

BUZZARD @ June 28 2007,23:41)]Shadow, you said that WoV and WoE play as one game, would that be like OFP and Resistance?  wow_o.gif I just hope that the WoV terrains etc are also available for WoE, from third party that is, and better than the original!  thumbs-up.gif

Yes, all games in this series are compatible with eachother. So if you have all the games installed you have all the terrains, flyables, campaigns and such in one big game.

Fly the A-10 from WoE in Vietnam for example smile_o.gif

Sounds good! Meaning probably that any community-made improved versions of the terrain and planes for WoV will also work with WoE, right? Meaning, I'll be able to have everything that WoV has (well, more or less) whilst only buying WoE? yay.gif

In dogfight mode Falcon 4:AF isn't really that bad... you start mid-air and well... you don't even necesserily need to lock to fire a Sidewinder or an AMRAAM, just bring your hostile to a suitable axis and MAD DOG! biggrin_o.gif

BUZZARD @ June 29 2007,16:40)]Sounds good! Meaning probably that any community-made improved versions of the terrain and planes for WoV will also work with WoE, right? Meaning, I'll be able to have everything that WoV has (well, more or less) whilst only buying WoE?  yay.gif

Yes, all mods work on all the games except those that are upgrades for existing items (plane re-skins for example).