Sign in to follow this  
Sosna

Mouse Sensitivity

I was hoping this would be fixed in 1.08, but it was not...

The problem is only noticeable when aiming far, but it can be a matter of life and death pistols.gif

With mouse sensitivity set at ~50% and aiming with sights, the point of aim does not move until the mouse is moved a certain distance, then it jumps a few pixels in the desired direction. It seems mouse input is ignored until a certain point. I think it is a flaw in the implementation of sensitivity, since mouse movement should never be ignored, only magnified or minimized. The cursor in the menu has no problems.

It often leads to this situation:

4pjfwa1.gif

The point of aim settles to one or the other sides of the target (though it happens smoother than in the animation).

Apparently the AI doesn't have this problem, so I'm often left dead due to it...

If mouse sensitivity is set to the lowest setting, the problem is gone. The point of aim can be moved in a perfectly fluid manner. There's no 'jumping' of a few pixels. Unfortunately playing with the sensitivity on lowest is not practical, I would need a much bigger desk  wink_o.gif

If mouse sensitivity is set to highest, the exaggerated effect can be observed.

It was reported here, but alas it seems to have gone unnoticed (?). I would like some dev input on this problem.

Note: It has nothing to do with video settings, frame pre-rendering, or whatever as others have suggested.

Maybe in windows your mouse settings have acceleration on or something?

Also, why are you only trying both extremes and only 50%? For instance, my X=1 notch and Y=4 (X axis is more sensitive, thats why I have Y higher.).

So my point is, try 10-40% or something. Find a good balance. This shouldn't really be an issue.

i agree on this!

it does destroy the fun completely.

Also the zoom takes alittle to do the action..

please solve this problems

I just tested this and my point still stands. I see what your talking about, but try my settings....

There are 8 big notches and little ones in between. Set X to 1 and Y to 4 (4=50%, but set the Y to whatever allows you to make small perfect circles with x-hair or ironsights).

Even with X to 1 (low) it still moves left and right at the same speed. That seems to be controlled by the weapon your using. Setting low sensitivity makes for a more precise/fine tune movement.

I was hoping this would be fixed in 1.08, but it was not...

The problem is only noticeable when aiming far, but it can be a matter of life and death pistols.gif

With mouse sensitivity set at ~50% and aiming with sights, the point of aim does not move until the mouse is moved a certain distance, then it jumps a few pixels in the desired direction. It seems mouse input is ignored until a certain point. I think it is a flaw in the implementation of sensitivity, since mouse movement should never be ignored, only magnified or minimized. The cursor in the menu has no problems.

It often leads to this situation:

4pjfwa1.gif

The point of aim settles to one or the other sides of the target (though it happens smoother than in the animation).

Apparently the AI doesn't have this problem, so I'm often left dead due to it...

If mouse sensitivity is set to the lowest setting, the problem is gone. The point of aim can be moved in a perfectly fluid manner. There's no 'jumping' of a few pixels. Unfortunately playing with the sensitivity on lowest is not practical, I would need a much bigger desk wink_o.gif

If mouse sensitivity is set to highest, the exaggerated effect can be observed.

It was reported here, but alas it seems to have gone unnoticed (?). I would like some dev input on this problem.

Note: It has nothing to do with video settings, frame pre-rendering, or whatever as others have suggested.

What kind of mouse do you use? I have an MS Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. I get the problem you describe in quite a few games, original OFP, BF2 and Arma.

I have a logitech MX310, but it does the same thing with a Logitech 'Click!'. I never had any problems in OFP with these mice or an old MS optical one...

I don't think it's a hardware thing.

Seany, I would check with a corded mouse if you still have a problem in games other than Arma. It may be that your wireless mouse is getting some interference.

good topic.

I've always had this issue, in every game and even in windows, so I've become fairly accustomed io it. But with the precision needed in arma it does take it's toll.

At the speed setting I have in windows even the tiniest movement will move it no less than 2 pixels and often 3. Easy to test in mspaint. Similar thing in arma.

Would a high(er) precision mouse help this problem?

I just tested this and my point still stands. I see what your talking about, but try my settings....

There are 8 big notches and little ones in between. Set X to 1 and Y to 4 (4=50%, but set the Y to whatever allows you to make small perfect circles with x-hair or ironsights).

Even with X to 1 (low) it still moves left and right at the same speed. That seems to be controlled by the weapon your using. Setting low sensitivity makes for a more precise/fine tune movement.

I tried this, but it only helps a little. It seems that the lower the value, the smaller the 'step'.

Even at x=1-2 I'm swinging my arm too much to be comfortable while playing.

I don't have this problem at all, using a AU$15 M$ optical mouse.

Are you using a wireless mouse?

I have the logitech mx518 gaming mouse and I have came across situations that this happens. Im sure this can be solved. maybe someone should report to bug list.

Me too. Only really notice it with ironsights. Wasn't it like this in OFP as well? I hardly notice it anymore, except when at a firing range trying to hit distant targets with ironsights. Maybe because I'm kinda used to it. Would be nice if it was addressed though.

Logitech G7, same problem as well. This was also an issue in OFP back when I had a Logitech MX500 corded mouse, so I don't think it's strictly related to wireless mice or ArmA. I'm surprised no one brought it up before now - it was, and is, incredibly difficult to make minute adjustments in aim at longer ranges.

Anyway, I've never experienced this in any games other than OFP/ArmA.

I have a MS wired optical mouse and I have this problem in Arma as well, although NOT in any other game or in windows. I'm going to fiddle with the sensitivities and see if that fixes it.

The only issue with aiming is that is takes a split second for the gun to actually move. Are you sure that's not what's causing your problem?

I should also mention that I only noticed it because I was trying to look for something wrong. It doesn't bother me at all.

Actually, I can create this behaviour by turning my mouse sensitivity way up in ArmA (moving the mouse about 5cm = 720 degree spin). I guess ArmA magnifies the minimum detectable mouse movement into a larger than minimum on screen movement?

To those suffering this problem in normal gameplay, try adjusting your mouse speed and acceleration in the windows control panel, then test in ArmA.

Specific mouse drivers might also be playing a part. I used to have trouble in games years ago when using an "exotic" mouse (one of the first with a scroll wheel) with fancy drivers. The game was expecting a different range of movement than the mouse driver, making the mouse have a very low sensitivity in game.

I thought my (old) mouse was causing it...anyway, I have the same problem

edit: It's the same mouse that worked perfectly in ofp

Set up your mousesensitivity below 1 (0.7 for example) in the config-file (by editing the configfile directly). This works. Maybe this solve your probs.-

Set up your mousesensitivity below 1 (0.7 for example) in the config-file (by editing the configfile directly). This works. Maybe this solve your probs.-

but if you set it up really slow it takes ages to turn around. So that's not really an acceptable solution imo.

This will always be a problem, no matter settings and your mouse. The only thing that is adjustable is at what distance the problem starts.

The mouse can only move one pixel at a time.

Setting windows mouse a little lower and arma sensitivity a LOT lower has really improved the situation for me. Still not on par with OFP for good aiming but better.

Hmm changing the windows mouse sensitivity has no effect for me. Only Arma's menu cursor is affected. The point of aim seems completly independent of the windows setting.

It's incredible that the cursor can't move as fast and accurately as in Windows or other games. It shouldn't be a problem to make it a hardware cursor or something, the one we have now is an awful bubble gum solution.

If mouse sensitivity is set to the lowest setting, the problem is gone. The point of aim can be moved in a perfectly fluid manner. There's no 'jumping' of a few pixels. Unfortunately playing with the sensitivity on lowest is not practical, I would need a much bigger desk wink_o.gif

This is actually the issue here. No movement is ignored.

The ways sensitivity stuff typically works is like this:

Lowest setting is true mouse movement.

For the sake of argument, let's say that the highest setting is 10X mouse movement.

The game interprets moving the mouse 1 unit into screen coordinat changes. For the sake of argument, let's say it's one pixel, even though it's likely not.

At lowest sensitivity, moving the mouse 1 unit results in moving the aim point 1 pixel to in the same direction. At Max, moving the mouse 1 unit results in moving the aim point 10 pixels to in the same direction. At 2.5X, moving the mouse 1 unit results in moving the aim point 2.5 (likely rounded off) pixels to in the same direction.

The problem could be solved by interpreting mouse movement differently when the player is in zoom mode just by dividing the mouse movement factor by the zoom scale. At normal zoom, mose movement would be normal, at max zoom, it would be more precise, and at min zoom, it would be less precise.

The problem could be solved by interpreting mouse movement differently when the player is in zoom mode just by dividing the mouse movement factor by the zoom scale. At normal zoom, mose movement would be normal, at max zoom, it would be more precise, and at min zoom, it would be less precise.

Really good idea... I have a Logitech Mx1000 and this problem already existed in OFP for me...