Sign in to follow this  
HawKs

Linux Dedicated server

any new on the release of the linux dedicated.exe yet.... seems like its been years of waiting

At least, they should release a beta version of the dedicated linux server. It could help linux admins to wait and have a live feedback of the binaries. banghead.gif

Come on! firefoxlover.gif

maybe with queens gambit's release.. lets wait and see.

My Linux box is catching dust for months now sad_o.gif

If they do release it, i hope to god they resolve some of the crash issues along with other problems.

Ours is burning money mad_o.gif

we have canceled our linux server already...and the WIN server is burning our money now. tounge2.gif

+1 for a linux dedicated server. I need it badly, I think lots of people would jump on the Arma bandwagon in our network if there was a linux dedicated server.

I think they are having problems getting it working well on Windows at the moment.

But I agree, a Linux server is very cheap to rent or maintain, and would make many more servers.

Ours is burning money mad_o.gif

Mine is free, fortunately smile_o.gif

But is is STILL WAITING! whistle.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I know how it was with the ofp linux server. It took a long time till it was released. Same with ArmA again. I thought BIS learned a bit from the OFP times, but seems not to be.

Maybe they don't have a linux coder anymore or not a good one. The coders are mostly "mouse pushers", cause ArmA runs on wi*** and so they need to know how to code on this and not on linux.

Many people run a linux web server for their sites and so want to run the linux server on it also. Like me. I don't want to set up a wi*** box for my web server, which is also handling mail and other things.

Hope we hear some info from BIS soon.

Greets

[CiA]Lobanak

Any bets on how many years it'll take until we get the linux dedicated? sad_o.gif

If only they could be bothered to release a win server without the needles securom crap perhaps we could run that...

We could easily host 3 arma servers when the linux server got released sad_o.gif Now our we had to "pollute" our best server with windows and it is of no use except of running one arma server sad_o.gif

We have saying in our language (dutch-flemish)

een ezel stoot zich geen 2 keer aan dezelfde steen

which means as much "not even a donkey makes the same fault twice"

The most irretating are all the lies. Please just tell us that the server will take 10 years to release expect of keeping us in vain that you will release in a few months after the release.

Lies ,always damm lies, be honest for once will you?

I know how it was with the ofp linux server. It took a long time till it was released. Same with ArmA again. I thought BIS learned a bit from the OFP times, but seems not to be.

Maybe they don't have a linux coder anymore or not a good one. The coders are mostly "mouse pushers", cause ArmA runs on wi*** and so they need to know how to code on this and not on linux.

Many people run a linux web server for their sites and so want to run the linux server on it also. Like me. I don't want to set up a wi*** box for my web server, which is also handling mail and other things.

Hope we hear some info from BIS soon.

Greets

[CiA]Lobanak

Funny part is that with some knowledge almost anything windows can be moved to unix as well. Heck even dot net and vb5/6 programs run on unix without wine. Don't knock people when you have no knowledge of what it takes to write software as is with your mouse pusher comment. Just cause it's a windows program don't assume it has a gui, i write quite a bit in cui still since alot of the clients i do work for are using telnet/ssh applications still.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that the server requires directx so they will need to convert that stuff over. Would be nice to go open GL but you have to code a bit more (ATI is trying to help with this as well by starting a directx to open gl conversion software). Also GL performance will be degraded in vista for some reason (Wonder why).

Any bets on how many years it'll take until we get the linux dedicated? sad_o.gif

If only they could be bothered to release a win server without the needles securom crap perhaps we could run that...

+1

help.gif

i hope the linux server is next after BinPBO is out confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Don't knock people when you have no knowledge of what it takes to write software as is with your mouse pusher comment.

I have little knowledge of coding and I have wi*** running on my workstation at home and so I'm also a mouse pusher. And I know that coding for windows and linux is different when you don't use cross-platform libraries.

Quote[/b] ]Oh yeah forgot to mention that the server requires directx so they will need to convert that stuff over.

I don't know how the core is coded and I don't know about the functions of DirectX, but as long as the server don't need a GUI (as you have written), why the heck the server should need DirectX? When you know from beginning, that you want to release a linux server, you can implement the core functionalities needed for communication with a server without the need of DirectX.

Greets

[CiA]Lobanak

The most irretating are all the lies. Please just tell us that the server will take 10 years to release expect of keeping us in vain that you will release in a few months after the release.

Lies ,always damm lies, be honest for once will you?

Who is lying at you? BI? Where? I haven't seen any official statement about the linux server yet like that it will be released at a certain date. Your flaming and false accusations are wrong and useless. Consider yourself warned.

My last info about the server is the same as I posted back in June: it's under development/testing - obviously nothing has changed here.

If the server files would be ready for release then most probably we would have at least a RC already. This happened with the last patch release, with Visitor and O2 - so why not with the linux server?

Have faith in the devs and be patient, even if it's hard but statements like the one from Crazy_lenny surely doesn't help anything.

Quote[/b] ]Don't knock people when you have no knowledge of what it takes to write software as is with your mouse pusher comment.

I have little knowledge of coding and I have wi*** running on my workstation at home and so I'm also a mouse pusher. And I know that coding for windows and linux is different when you don't use cross-platform libraries.

Quote[/b] ]Oh yeah forgot to mention that the server requires directx so they will need to convert that stuff over.

I don't know how the core is coded and I don't know about the functions of DirectX, but as long as the server don't need a GUI (as you have written), why the heck the server should need DirectX? When you know from beginning, that you want to release a linux server, you can implement the core functionalities needed for communication with a server without the need of DirectX.

Greets

[CiA]Lobanak

Quote[/b] ]I have little knowledge of coding and I have wi*** running on my workstation at home and so I'm also a mouse pusher. And I know that coding for windows and linux is different when you don't use cross-platform libraries.

True, but 90% can be moved over with very little effort. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

The server has an interface running, you just don't see it. They use directx for collision detection (Guessing) along with other things. Thus the frames per second on the server side. Don't know how they wrote this game but the server is pretty much just the client without a ui to it if you look at the exe itself.

As for making it with unix in mind i doubt they will use all the code from the current dedicated. The op flash was a bit different as well from what i recall so who knows. Laugh.

To be honest, i have a feeling we will never see a unix version of the server for Arma 1.(whatever). Since the news of number two i will bet they put more time into version two rather than trying to get a dedicated for 1.x out for unix. It would just make sense. Plus this game really does seem to have died quite a bit of late. I know it's not just cause of the servers costs. The cheating and everything else has killed it. No os will solve that issue for us.

I read that some people believe that the announcement of ArmA 2 could possibly affect the work being done on a linux version of the Arma server. I too, am fearful, fearful overall that the release of ArmA 2 could affect the whole franchise. Things are moving a bit slowly in the ArmA world compared to the addons, missions, islands, etc..that were constantly popping up for Operation Flashpoint. Sure they are coming out..slowly, but how much work is going to start or even continue in the face of uncertainty. Unless the addon structure (ie models, scripts, missions, etc..) in ArmA 2 is going to be identical to the existing ArmA, or BIS releases some sort of conversion tool..this release announcement spells trouble to me...

This just sounds way, way too soon to me, to be talking a sequel to a game thats only been out a few months here in the U.S. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe BIS isn't just trying to milk their loyal fans for all their worth. Perhaps they are just trying to make it up to us..it took sooo friggin long for a flashpoint sequel to arrive..they want to keep them coming fast and furious. Personally, I dont want to see my beloved flashpoint becoming the next Tiger Woods or Madden game...with ArmA 2008, ArmA 2009, ArmA 2010...buying a new version every six months so we can help them beta test their software.

Why has it taken this !@#$ long for a linux server to be made available? ArmA looks beautiful, but until I can setup the server in linux, my friends and I can't play together. How do we solve this? We play good ole' flashpoint. Maybe this is why things arent moving along very quickly in the addon scene, everyone else is too busy playing the original game as well...

C'mon BIS, give us some more details about what your plans are, and give us a Linux server. If I buy any future versions of Operation Flashpoint/ArmA/Combat Nausea/Whatever its called now...I'll make !@#$ sure there is a linux server available before I shell out my hard earned money.

Peace!

LodeRunner

BIS mentioned that they would start working on a Linux dedicated server binary after the mod tools had been finished.

BIS mentioned that they would start working on a Linux dedicated server binary after the mod tools had been finished.

Where?

At the ArmA Fan Day at Paris on February, the 14, Maruk has mentionned that Linux dedicated beta version will come after 1 or 2 months after 505 release.

Now, it's september, tools have been released, ArmA II have been announced, and still no linux version, even in a beta stage...

From my point of view, it's a crappy way of considering game support, and crappy for community.

banghead.gif