Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Less and less CTF players.

-Ziggy- @ July 01 2007,16:32)]
I cant type and say it often enough: JUST GET USED TO THE MOVEMENTS OF ARMA!!!

it is hard but at the end its fun.

signed  pistols.gif

I cannot type enough and say "change the animations" before CTF dies altogeher. If the majority of people want the old animations back then i see that as the only way forwards.

Frantic you talk about Hilander from DST, but you need to ask yourself where is the rest of DST. If you read Anths posts, he as DST player himself explains that they are not playing AA because of reasons mentioned in these posts.

Also agree with Easy Tiger, i'm bored shitless of the same maps. I did my fair share of maps for ofp, but i liked ofp so didn't mind putting the time in.

The problem is that this game inst intended for playing CTF.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

There is a CTF mission even within the game, so forget your OFP play style and just get used to the new movements of ArmA.

CTF was and is a lot of fun to play online!

But i have to agree to Delta, cause the JIP really disturbs the CTF public gaming with the possibility to join and leave at any time.

Best would be to do it like in OFP, just wait till you got enough players on the server for a round and then lock the server and play this round with the peeps connected.

Best would be that nobody leaves during this 30mins, but if a side got too less players, then just unlock the server and let the slots of the quitters filled up with new players.

No im not.

This game and its developers have listened to coopers and aimed the game to please coopers, not to please ctfers.

That official ctf maps are included in the game doesnt mean anything at all.

And i dont have to discuss this, even coopers will admit this and as you can see Ctfers are quite dissapointed with the game.

So i repeat, this game isnt made for Ctf... sadly.

There is a CTF mission even within the game, so forget your OFP play style and just get used to the new movements of ArmA.

But i have to agree to Delta, cause the JIP really disturbs the CTF public gaming with the possibility to join and leave at any time.

Best would be to do it like in OFP, just wait till you got enough players on the server for a round and then lock the server and play this round with the peeps connected.

Best would be that nobody leaves during this 30mins, but if a side got too less players, then just unlock the server and let the slots of the quitters filled up with new players.

No im not.

This game and its developers have listened to coopers and aimed the game to please coopers, not to please ctfers.

And i dont have to discuss this, even coopers will admit this and as you can see Ctfers are quite dissapointed with the game.

Just so that there's no confusion : ArmA and OFP world is not divided between coop & CTF. There's much more possible.

No im not.

Waou !

I would like to know how you can be sure or know that developers listened coopers and not ctfers....

So the official CTF maps included in the game mean nothing huh.gif

Is it a joke ?

So,if I understand you :developers who listened only coopers made CTF for a game not made for CTF. So why they didn't spend their time for somethign else ?

I really bored about all argument pro coopers can develop for their own way to play Arma. If you like coop play coop and stop say stupid things about CTF.

I just think about one thing more for explain why many ofp ctfers don't play on arma. For a problem of script, you don't have respawn protection as we knew on ofp but no entry zone. Many players thought that arma was made with no respawn protection . How many time did we see someone typing "you kill me in the spawn :" ?

I just think about one thing more for explain why many ofp ctfers don't play on arma. For a problem of script, you don't have respawn protection as we knew on ofp but no entry zone. Many players thought that arma was made with no respawn protection . How many time did we see someone typing "you kill me in the spawn :" ?

So the reason for the lack of CTF servers is me?..cause im against stupid spawn-protection like prison-script or punishment-script for shooting someone behind some signs. Cause i like to be able to shoot everyone i see.

If thats the case, then im really sorry that i havent included a spawn-protection-script at my CTF maps, which we removed back in OFP days, cause without the punishment-script we gained 10-20fps more on the server.

Im really wondering where this idea comes from, that the spawn is the zone marked with signs. Who came on this idea that the spawn is the no-entry-zone?

As long i know is the spawn just the respawn-zone and nothing more and on my missions its normally not possible to shoot one at the respawn.

The problem with the lack of CTF servers is in my opinion the JIP function.

In OFP you were not able to hop on a running CTF mission, so you went on another server and started another CTF mission. Thats the reason why we see so many servers with Evolution on it, cause many peeps wanna play Evolution from the beginning, so they dont join a running Evolution mission but start a new one instead.

PS: If you like a script for spawn-protection then just include it in your missions. MS are making own CTF missions and so its no big deal to put it into it. Sorry, i have forgot the name of the MS missions maker, but he told me that he has made the CTF script by himself, so he hasnt taken mine and so he can include this prison- or punishment-script by himself.

Well apart from getting killed just after come you from behind tent or building from spawn the signs are no deterent to some one just in front of them to shoot you

The OFP spawn protection was a nightmare and it's still a complete turnoff in ArmA as I have seen in ECL maps. It sounded like a great idea to let a weaker team to get within 10 meters of their flag, but in practise every game had situations where players would stop at their respawn signs, scout ahead and if they see an enemy, shoot at them so they would panic and get themselves killed or in worst cases go to jail. That kind of system is completely unnatural and no entry areas work 100 times better when the actual spawn is protected by terrain or buildings and enemies are easy to flush out from the vicinity of the border.

Well apart from getting killed just after come you from behind tent or building from spawn the signs are no deterent to some one just in front of them to shoot you

Usually the signs are located where the attacker is exposed and there are multiple ways to move out of spawn and flank the attacker. With a protection script things would be even worse when members of both teams would wait on the opposite sides of the same line, looking for ways to exploit the system and lure the other one to shooting, and there will be some poindexters who know the exact location where it looks like you are protected, but you are outside the line and can shoot at the enemy afterall. It was completely ridiculous in Flashpoint and I never want to see it again.

So the reason for the lack of CTF servers is me?

Not exactly, if you didn't make CTF maps there wouldn't be any CTF servers left. I think you have made all the CTF maps there is.

Frantic, can i just say " I am at a loss" why you defend this game so much. When i joined a server tonight. You! aswell as other members of your clan! were desperately seeking another CTF server. The reason been a lack of CTF player numbers.

You can argue all you like about the CTF downfall, but like i say numbers speak volumes.

Can i also ask where is the rest of the MCY squad that i used to see in ofp. I see many many names missing just like DST, MOD, DK? Can you give me some info on that.

I ask this because i saw alot of these guys turn up for this game only to disappear.

@ Frantic:

Of course not, you're not the cause of whatever. I play with no entry zone and we do the same in my clan. Frantic, you know me... Don't be worry. I have full respect for you for what you did and do for arma by making map and manage league. Ask Hezap...

I just wanted to add a "small" point about the thread.

Frantic, can i just say " I am at a loss" why you defend this game so much. When i joined a server tonight. You! aswell as other members of your clan! were desperately seeking another CTF server. The reason been a lack of CTF player numbers.

You can argue all you like about the CTF downfall, but like i say numbers speak volumes.

Can i also ask where is the rest of the MCY squad that i used to see in ofp. I see many many names missing just like DST, MOD, DK? Can you give me some info on that.

I ask this because i saw alot of these guys turn up for this game only to disappear.

I defend this game, cause i enjoy ArmA.

I have played BF2 and still play from time to time CSS, but both games dont give me the level of fun i have with ArmA.

About yesterday, we were not only seeking another server, we were able to find another CTF server very easy.

Im really thinking that you dont play ArmA often enough to say what you write here.

If you were playing yesterday then you would have seen that the DK players were just hopping from one CTF server to another.

And about the "missing" MCY players, times changing, members come members go...so its just normal that not everyone is able or want to play online games for their whole life.

OK, it would be great to just see CTF servers on the server-list, but CTF is just one game-mode of ArmA.

Like in BF2, big C&H missions with lots of players on it are real fun. And there are the nicely made BerZerk missions, which many peeps seems to like in ArmA.

If you look on the numbers of players which were able to play together on one server in OFP, then you would see that in OFP a server was full with 20 peeps on.

Now in ArmA we can have 3times more players on one server without big probs.

So its no wonder to see less servers, but we have way more players on each.

Why start another mission if you can just jump on a running mission.

Public CTF gaming was great in OFP, cause you had an intensive 30mins round. Now in ArmA we see it so often, that during one 30mins round the half of the players are changing cause of JIP.

Dont understand me wrong, i like JIP, but its forming another mentality of gaming, than it was in OFP.

I dont see less and less CTF players, i just see more and more COOP and C&H players than i saw in OFP.

@Manu: I know! tounge2.gif

Only one thing to say.... JIP is one of the better things in ArmA!

In OFP I remember interminables minutes waiting for people to come to the server, and after starting, 2 o 3 players left the game... so the teams were unbalanced and admin had to do a restart... so, you were 1 hour to play 10 minutes...

Now you can enter on a server playing, you don't have to wait, if someone left the game, anotherone is connecting.

The only thing I miss is the admin ability to unlock and lock the server when playing ( to let or not let more people)

regards,

pepel

The only thing I miss is the admin ability to unlock and lock the server when playing ( to let or not let more people)

just type: #lock or #unlock

Only one thing to say.... JIP is one of the better things in ArmA!

In OFP I remember interminables minutes waiting for people to come to the server, and after starting, 2 o 3 players left the game... so the teams were unbalanced and admin had to do a restart... so, you were 1 hour to play 10 minutes...

This is THE thing that put me off of OFP. The point why I could not play the game.

So ArmA for me is a giant leap forward : now, I CAN play the game. That's quite a big difference!

just type: #lock or #unlock

didn't know smile_o.gif

thanks

I see many many names missing just like DST, MOD, DK? Can you give me some info on that.

We're here. We play in ECL for now since there aren't any other "good" leagues out there. And yeah, you will find our members hopping on from a CTF server to another one.

i played a hexenkessels the other day it was fun but i dont pwn as hardcore as i did in the ofp days

nd since there are no ammo crates in the bunker i cant glitch into the enemies spawn zone like i used too hehhehehe

I see many many names missing just like DST, MOD, DK? Can you give me some info on that.

We're here. We play in ECL for now since there aren't any other "good" leagues out there. And yeah, you will find our members hopping on from a CTF server to another one.

Do you play league games only? I ask because i cannot ever remember seeing anyone from DK on a public CTF game. After a search i do see you have a server like in ofp, but i have never seen the DK server come up when i have filtered for a "CTF" with players playing on it.

I remember the DK server was quite popular in the ofp days, so i will keep looking out for it this week and report back.

Somehow i think i have been misunderstood in this topic. Some agree that the animations suck. While others just say "just get used to them"

What i would really like to know is, do the people who say "get used to them" really prefer the AA animations over the old ofp animations? and if this is the case of they don't, then why are they arguing the fact.

Frantic, just to get some idear of this argument before i rest my case. Wich animations do you really prefer? I have seen your posts about how you have adapted from ofp to AA, but wich one do you really prefer. That question is to anyone else aswell. Apart from the ones who havn't played ofp.

He deosn't say he prefers them. Just that they are not enough of a let down to abandon the game, they don't kill the fun. You can enjoy the game despite animations.

And, being probably like me on the pessimistic side, he just says "it won't be changed, get used to it, you can enjoy the game once you get used to it".

Do you play league games only? I ask because i cannot ever remember seeing anyone from DK on a public CTF game. After a search i do see you have a server like in ofp, but i have never seen the DK server come up when i have filtered for a "CTF" with players playing on it.

I remember the DK server was quite popular in the ofp days, so i will keep looking out for it this week and report back.

When we play the league matches, the server will be locked. Otherwise it's been in use for the past few days quite alot. We are trying to get nice CTF's going almost every day but mostly we just loose our nerves and hop onto a another server.

whisper is right.

I would be more than happy to have the old OFP style back, but that wont happen.

It wouldnt surprise me if the animations and movements of the infantry in ArmA will be a lot overworked, cause the current state of it is not really satisfying for every infantry player in ArmA.

I dont see a reason to whine about that, cause the game is playable and (at least for me) enjoyable.

And i dont know any other game which can give me this level of fun which ArmA gives to me.

Celery has made a nice improvement for us already, with his mini-realism-mod.

It makes the weapons as accurate as it was in OFP.

Im using it in the newest versions of the Gc missions and it feels so much better.

At this example you see that ArmA is a platform for us, which we can use for modifications in any way you can think of.

Its just up to us what we are willing and able to make out of it.

So i dont see any reason to just whine and stop playing ArmA, cause OFP was not a great game too at the beginning, it was just a new type of game which has still no real competitor on the market.

If i remember well, then the golden days of OFP has started with Resistance.

OK, dont ask me why BIS hasnt taken 1.96 and just improved the grafix...thats the question we all asked after playing ArmA the first time.

But after the long learning curve of the movements, i can say that its still fun to play with it.

I really dont like the people who are just screaming and whining and are doing nothing to improve the fun of ArmA.

I think its no big loss that all this people are leaving ArmA like rats do if the boat sinks, cause ArmA isnt sinking and a rats free boat isnt bad either.

You can be sure, that i was waiting for some nice improvements of the infantry movements and animations with each patch, but till now the main target of BIS seems to be somewhere else and not on the basics of a game, which is the infantry.

I dont expect that they will improve it, so i can be just surprised if something happens.

biggrin_o.gif

And in the mean time im having fun with the possibilities BIS gave me with ArmA!

With a protection script things would be even worse when members of both teams would wait on the opposite sides of the same line, looking for ways to exploit the system and lure the other one to shooting, and there will be some poindexters who know the exact location where it looks like you are protected, but you are outside the line and can shoot at the enemy afterall. It was completely ridiculous in Flashpoint and I never want to see it again.

<-  poindexter  whistle.gif  

TNT CQB anyone? wink_o.gif

No im not.

Waou !

I would like to know how you can be sure or know that developers listened coopers and not ctfers....

So the official CTF maps included in the game mean nothing huh.gif

Is it a joke ?

So,if I understand you :developers who listened only coopers made CTF for a game not made for CTF. So why they didn't spend their time for somethign else ?

I really bored about all argument pro coopers can develop for their own way to play Arma. If you like coop play coop and stop say stupid things about CTF.

I just think about one thing more for explain why many ofp ctfers don't play on arma. For a problem of script, you don't have respawn protection as we knew on ofp but no entry zone. Many players thought that arma was made with no respawn protection  . How many time did we see someone typing "you kill me in the spawn :" ?

Im not a pro-cooper.

If you read all my message you wouldáve noticed but i guess that is a big and hard work for you huh??

Directed at everyone who wants the animations changed: What excactly is wrong with them? And do you want to change them? because you feel you cant play a 'reflection/reaction based game' and have to rely on other things (long planning etc) to win?

(Not saying one is better then the other, its just that some people enjoy the one more then the other, and both OFP and ArmA where always more directed at the tactics crowd)

Directed at everyone who wants the animations changed: What excactly is wrong with them? And do you want to change them? because you feel you cant play a 'reflection/reaction based game' and have to rely on other things (long planning etc) to win?

(Not saying one is better then the other, its just that some people enjoy the one more then the other, and both OFP and ArmA where always more directed at the tactics crowd)

The animations are rigid, unflexible and sometimes bugged. Flashpoint had it pretty much right except for the gun on the far right side that created the corner camping problem. In Flashpoint switching from jog to sprint and back was smooth and the controls felt more immediate. In Armed Assault controlling a soldier feels more like driving a vehicle or giving commands to a robot that performs its actions in due time.

I'd like to clarify to you that slow controls doesn't equal "tactics", you can have just as good plans with smooth animations. The same rambos are on top of the score list regardless of the animations.

The animations are rigid, unflexible and sometimes bugged. Flashpoint had it pretty much right except for the gun on the far right side that created the corner camping problem. In Flashpoint switching from jog to sprint and back was smooth and the controls felt more immediate. In Armed Assault controlling a soldier feels more like driving a vehicle or giving commands to a robot that performs its actions in due time.

I'd like to clarify to you that slow controls doesn't equal "tactics", you can have just as good plans with smooth animations. The same rambos are on top of the score list regardless of the animations.

Yup .. and ... the only "tactic" which people use as result of "C3PO animations", is camping.