Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Less and less CTF players.

The main point us CTF fans are trying to make in this thread is that we were expecting ArmA to be the same enjoyable style of gameplay as OFP, with the advantage of not waiting in the lobby for a game to finish along with improved graphics and physics. CTF in OFP is completely different to playing CS, I'm not sure how anyone can even find the slightest relation between CTF in OFP and playing CS, their two very different games. The whole reason we enjoy CTF in OFP is because of this unique style, we just weren't expecting ArmA to be this slow and clunky game that takes an unbelievable amount of time to perform the simplest of tasks (often its like the soldier your playing as is off on vacation, not in a war zone). Perhaps it'll change with future updates, perhaps not, either way I'll be here waiting for a chance to enjoy CTF in this game.

Couldn't agree with this post more, but let me add, for all those who think the animations are so realistic in AA. Ask yourself, have you ever seen anyone shot dead contine to load his riffle, Law, Ect. That tells me the animations are messed up because the player you shoot doesn't even die straight away.

Also what celery said about the granades and other things is spot on.

I really have to laugh at people who say they like CTF in AA better then they did in OFP CTF. I had 4 years of nothing but praise for ofp and CTF, you could throw a granade more or less in an instant and do moves that made for intense quick gameplay. It was never boring and players always advanced forwards looking for flags. Unlike AA, or should i say "Robot wars".

Proves to me, how some people don't know what they are talking about when they compare CS, BF2, to ofp CTF, so i'll just ignore there posts.

At the end of the day its all about the anims they are very slow I used to play and enjoy every game type in ofp.

Ive tried every game type now in arma cant really say I enjoy it yes it looks nice but the gameplay is how shall I put it terrible. For one I press a key to crouch I runand then I to have press the same key again to crouch theres just no speed elements to the game everything is slow.

I think a lot of ctf people are very annoyed at what they were expecting to get from this game and what they actually got. Wont be suprised if the sales of the expansion are halfed.

Well im going to be playing bf2 and cs not because I like them but more because I fall asleep at my computer with arma=uninstalled, ive give it to my 92 year old grandad he enjoys it, more his reaction time! If I could get a refund back I would.

Until somthing is done signing out

[-DST-] Anth [-DST-]

I just pray that ofp2 doesn't go down the same road as AA. I really thought this game was the answer to it, but it falls short by some miles.

I used to make alot of CTF maps for OFP that people raved about at the time, but i wouldn't even attempt to make one for this. Doesn't look like anyone else is making them either.

I waited so long for all the ofp community to come back, so i could again say my hellos. I have noticed old OFP players in this thread, like you Ant, celery, sbsmac. You would probably know me aswell, but not by this name.

@ Walker your name fits the speed of this game, as soon as this game was born i heard my mates cry "Whats with the animations"

I waited so long for all the ofp community to come back, so i could again say my hellos. I have noticed old OFP players in this thread, like you Ant, celery, sbsmac. You would probably know me aswell, but not by this name.

Ofc m8 I remember smile_o.gif. I spotted this post also and seen a lot of old names from ofp thats why thought I would post my view, but its not just my view its also 25 players of our clans view also...

I will wat for ofp2 also wont buy it just wait to see if its anything like the orignal before I buy.

As I have previously statement there is no reason why shouldnt include some three different gameplay modes like semi-arcade, old OFP style and ultra realistic. That would allow this game be popular in so many different groups. I dont like the way how they have done only one compromize of beetween gameplay and realism... I am rly looking for to see in future this kind of custom gameplay setup.

CTF/DM is somethings a fun while I am waiting to get into some other game begin but the only reason why i played em is that i wanna get better feel to my gears and universal gameplay on one . Indeed I am still playing OFP/ArmA mix every day there has been not any gamemods that I havent played much. I ve expirenced few days long coops/CTI, almost every mods made ever to OFP by its subs gamemods ala DM/CTF/A&D/C&H/CTI/coop. The most satisfieng so far has been those CTI/Coops (mods WGL, JF, FDF, CSLA) games what has lasted long time and got very much action and tension when ur win has been in cutting edge and CTF/DM hasnt ever been able to bring that because them size scale is so low. My ultimate dream in OFP mp was a mix of CTI whit some more complex onjectives and pklayed whit all the units/mods/addons made to OFP ever.

I am however still to enjoy playing every so far made content to this two games, it is rich to have this all in one.

Is CTF basically Team Death Match with an element to go run to a flag and take it back to your base for points - reach the point limit or have the highest points when time runs out to win? Just curious here because that is what I think it is. If I am wrong please correct me in my ignorance, biggrin_o.gif

Maybe as suggested already - just host CTF, and maybe see if 2-3 servers can PR it so that people can try it out then see what happens. CTF from my past experience in other games had to do with flags on both sides of the teams and you had to bring them all back to win. So I may be a little confused on this gametype.

PM me the server(s) and I will try to get some folks over to give it a try. I am in the Boston, USA area so hopefully our timezones work out. I am on mostly late afternoons and on the weekends here and there.

Is CTF basically Team Death Match with an element to go run to a flag and take it back to your base for points - reach the point limit or have the highest points when time runs out to win?  Just curious here because that is what I think it is.  If I am wrong please correct me in my ignorance,  

Maybe as suggested already - just host CTF, and maybe see if 2-3 servers can PR it so that people can try it out then see what happens.  CTF from my past experience in other games had to do with flags on both sides of the teams and you had to bring them all back to win.  So I may be a little confused on this gametype.

PM me the server(s) and I will try to get some folks over to give it a try.  I am in the Boston, USA area so hopefully our timezones work out.  I am on mostly late afternoons and on the weekends here and there.

LOL just shows how popular CTF is when you havn't even played it yet. Sorry the answer isn't to make a server because that isn't going to change the animations or game play. No offence if you read the posts you would see that and i already stated that i had a dedicated server but closed it.

hmmm...since 1.08, it really seems that its hard to fill a CTF mission with players...

But im still enjoying it...its a new gameplay but im already used to it.

I was whining too at the beginning and it needs still a lot of updates till the infantry feeling at ArmA will be any good.

But i guess thats just a matter of time, there will come an expansion pack like Resistance for OFP and then the rumble for us infantry maniacs will start!

BTW there are some people who are making CTF missions, me for example.

Here my release thread of the [MCY] CTF Missions Pack.

Link

Evolution will be soon or is already overplayed, so just give it some time and then the numbers of Evo servers will drop.

We have already removed the Evolution mission of our server.

Here a small list of CTF servers:

-XiF

-MCY

-painfactory

-MS

-GGX

-NHS

-BLI

-BLH

-16RD

-Shark

-DYN

there are for sure some more...

the sad thing is, that only one of these CTF servers is full with players on the evenings...

Relax fellas ....there will be alot of pvp going on in the future....Arma is just getting to the point where it is playing good ....as in frame rates are improving. I see huge potential for PVP's as well as COOP. When the linux server finally comes out I predict a alot more servers and alot more PVP's.

I luv a good PVP as I do like a good COOP. If you played OFP ....then you realize Arma is still being molded the same way OFP was....but Arma has sooooo much more potential.....at least thats my 2 cents. Be patient I think good things are aroung the corner yay.gif

to add to Frantics list,

SBS

on Wednesday nights (est) USI server hosts CTFs

I agree with Frantics opinion about the anims, when I first played ArmA until now, I have grown used to them.

adapt and overcome, cuz BIS aint gonna change it. wink_o.gif

Anyone interested in CTF or CH should pass by our Server. We had the Server Locked for a while during our COOP and Evolution Phase but are Public once more and ready for some CTF and CH. We've made a few of our own Maps so it should be fun. The Server runs really smooth and it's open to the Public. You'll be able to choose a Mission when you first join.

Server name is [MDS] Most Dangerous Server

See you guys in the battlefield... pistols.gif

We have all the MCY CTF's aswell and most of the GC ones (not updated I think).

To reach DK server, filter out dragon.

Quote[/b] ]to add to Frantics list,

SBS

Indeed, you'll generally find us playing CTF on our own server whenever possible. Occasional DM's whilst we're waiting for people to turn up. All welcome, regardless of experience, but please leave you attitude at the door and be prepared to enjoy yourself. :-)

We generally prefer the medium-size maps with sensible team-sizes rather than filling it up to bursting. Some of Frantic's are regular fixtures even if we have a slight difference of opinion about the lack of spawn-protection ;-) (House rule is that persistent shooting behind the markers will get you warned then kicked.)

*Promotion ends*

Back on-topic.... Why the general dearth of CTF players? I do think the animations don't help. Dudester's comment about 'robot wars' is a little unkind but has an element of truth to it. Nevertheless, with persistence you learn to live with it even if you don't come to love it. The most annoying part for me is not the general sense of clumsiness but the inability to start firing whilst moving and the way you sometimes continue to sprint for several steps even after releasing a key.

I also think that JIP has been a mixed blessing for CTF. It does make it easier to get a game going but CTF used to be a lot more meaningful when players had to invest a full 30 minutes into a game. Flag points mattered a lot more when you'd been there the whole match. JIP tends to reduce the 'ownership' of the match result.

Finally, the overall online population for ArmA is still pretty low. I really do hope that over the next few months more people can be enticed to join the community, either CTF, coop, CTI or any other game form. The best way for that to happen is for current players to stick with it and encourage others to give it a try whilst welcoming anyone who is willing to put the effort it.

All welcome, regardless of experience, but please leave you attitude at the door and be prepared to enjoy yourself. :-)

I don't mean to downplay your advertisement, but occasionally I don't feel that welcome on your server, regardless of good manners and no attitude.

Celery, you've been around long enough to know that those kinds of comments are best made by PM. Alternatively, I think you know where our website is... biggrin_o.gif

Celery, you've been around long enough to know that those kinds of comments are best made by PM. Alternatively, I think you know where our website is... biggrin_o.gif

I apologise, I just saw a part of text I didn't agree with. I sent you a PM.

Well your all welcome.gif to play CTF maps on our server the only time a coop is being played is when were all at work as we don't actually play them ourselves.

server flashpointcharlies (fpc in filter)

Bacon welcome.gif

The problem is that this game inst intended for playing CTF.

Aiming prolly sucks due to the excess of  false realism and that kills any CTF game.

And i say "false realism" cause the difficulty in moving the soldier, his clunky and slow anims and its crapped aim is not realistic... it is just an intention of it.

The main point us CTF fans are trying to make in this thread is that we were expecting ArmA to be the same enjoyable style of gameplay as OFP, with the advantage of not waiting in the lobby for a game to finish along with improved graphics and physics. CTF in OFP is completely different to playing CS, I'm not sure how anyone can even find the slightest relation between CTF in OFP and playing CS, their two very different games. The whole reason we enjoy CTF in OFP is because of this unique style, we just weren't expecting ArmA to be this slow and clunky game that takes an unbelievable amount of time to perform the simplest of tasks (often its like the soldier your playing as is off on vacation, not in a war zone). Perhaps it'll change with future updates, perhaps not, either way I'll be here waiting for a chance to enjoy CTF in this game.

Agreed. Thats it.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

There is a CTF mission even within the game, so forget your OFP play style and just get used to the new movements of ArmA.

CTF was and is a lot of fun to play online!

But i have to agree to Delta, cause the JIP really disturbs the CTF public gaming with the possibility to join and leave at any time.

Best would be to do it like in OFP, just wait till you got enough players on the server for a round and then lock the server and play this round with the peeps connected.

Best would be that nobody leaves during this 30mins, but if a side got too less players, then just unlock the server and let the slots of the quitters filled up with new players.

CTF was and is a lot of fun to play online!

I disagree with you Frantic, if it was fun then there would be loads of people playing CTF. There is not alot of fun controlling somthing that you never feel fully in control of. The extra few steps when you want your player to stop sucks, the animation continuing to reload when hes been killed sucks. I could go on and on, but i feel there is no point. I will just have to wait for ofp2 now because i don't think BIS is of to do anything about this.

BTW just been to your server now to give CTF another go, but there is only 5 players as i type, so i didn't bother joining.

so if you dont bother joining a CTF mission with 5 peeps on it, then you wont never get used to the movements...and no wonder that there are so less CTF servers if everyone is just joining the CTF servers with many peeps on.

Before Summer there was always at least one CTF server on top of the list with the most players on it.

Now is Summer and most people are enjoying real life!

I have read a lot of peeps opinions about the ArmA movements and when ArmA came out nearly everyone of the old OFP CTF community was saying the same like you.

But now the old CTF veterans who hasnt given up are still playing ArmA CTF and we all have fun with it.

You should search for Highlanders really funny thread here at BIS forums, where he was complaining about everything.

But now hes still playing ArmA and i think hes even enjoying it.

Its just that we have played too long OFP, we all thought ArmA will be same like OFP with just better grafix, and thats the reason why many peeps are upset about ArmA, cause they all need to learn their way of gameplay new, instead of playing ArmA the same way like they did in OFP.

But ArmA isnt OFP!..and OFP2 wont be like OFP too. It will be way more different from OFP like ArmA is now.

I cant type and say it often enough: JUST GET USED TO THE MOVEMENTS OF ARMA!!!

it is hard but at the end its fun. smile_o.gif

WTF only 5 CTF servers listed in the browser!!!!! and the rest are bloody Evolution

I really enjoyed competitive CTF and was lucky to be part of, and play against some very professional clans. From what i remember CTF ruled the browser list in OFP , quite the opposite of what is going on now.

The problem is that to put it quite simply the recurring 3 or 4 CTF maps i see at the moment are bollocks!

Can anyone remember playing a CTF map recently where the flag hasnt been closer than 50 meters from those silly "Keep out" respawn markers, and the map hasnt been bigger than 20ftx20ft?huh.gif??

These maps are linear "No brainers" which have replaced strategy for trigger finger response times. Animation response was never as much of an issue in OFP because the game speed was much slower. I remember playing league games where you could really only make 1 or 2 flag attempts , then St Pierre arrived (with others including one of my creations) and it was flag relay time!!

This type of map design IMO killed OFP CTF (st pierre cough ,cough) and is now stunting it for Arma

I remember playing OPEN CTF maps where if you died defending your flag you better hope u had the teamwork in place to cover it because it was gonna take you at least 20/30 secs of hard sprinting after loading up to get back to it

IF I see a another OFP CQB port like Hexenkessal, Mokra (or even my [sAS] Urban [2-24]) i'm gonna scream!!

These tiny maps were the product of the desire of a more CQB orientated game which was lacking for some time in OFP. It was never meant to replace the more traditional CTF style in OFP COMPLETELY, which it did start to do in OFP's dieing days.

It seems that the traditional CTF style has been completely forgotten in Arma.