Sign in to follow this  
Adam192

Bombing with the Harrier

Can anybody tell me how to be consistently effective with the GBU's on the Harrier - and I'm talking about after somebody has painted a target on the ground with the laser deisgnator.

Many times I'll find myself coming in level, aquiring the target a good ways away, dropping two bombs while the diamond is up, but then, the diamond will fade away and my bombs will generally miss.

Do I need to come in fast? Slow? High altitude or low altitude? Do I need to be completely level? If I'm a little off centre of the target, will my GBU's still hit?

Thank you :-).

just load up harrier in editor, along with sf recon and he will laze targets for u. Keep practising 'till u get it right smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

you might want to make sure that the laser got a steady lock on target ( moving it around wile the bombs are inbound can be a problem... ), and, wile you're flying, the diamond should fade and dissapear, if not, you'll be doing a suicide run, and then you wouldn't need those bombs anyway wink_o.gif

Tell the laser man to hold his designator perfectly on the target in the middle. Then you come in with a fairly high altitude and slow down slighty just before the target.

As you have to take into account that the bombs simply drop dead, if your flying to fast they don't have the force neccessary to fall back on themselves as if the jet is flying fast the bombs will fall foward faster, so watch bomb paths once you've released them. It takes a few times practise, but follow these hints and I'm sure you'll get it soon enough smile_o.gif

One problem is your AI SF guy will not keep a lock on the object. He will target it, move closer, target it, move closer, ect. I've seen the guy walk all the way up to the target and get killed. Maybe a stop move command?

you need to watch your speed more carefully, if you came in too fast and too close you might miss a lots of time, the concept is simple, if you came in fast, release the bomb earilier and higher, if you came in slow, release it when you came closer while height is not a factor here, by this guide bombing works great in MP game, dont need to be aware of the diamond, as long as the bomb get lock and release the bomb will go to the lazed target, just like when you fire a hellfire on AH1Z, as long as you lock on target you got a hit most of the time

i just like to see a basic FCS for unguide bombing which tells you where the is bomb going to land, no need to be pinpoint, but atless i know where its going to land