Sign in to follow this  
KeyCat

One tweak that will change alot

And another thing If anything friendly AI accuracy needs to be beefed up! In OFP friendly AI were good at surviving and shoot straight most of the time, I could count on them more or less, cant say the same for the US AI in Arma though they make good corpses they die waaay too easily in my opinion.

Look at your skill settings in difficulty menu. There's answer If you can't cope with thing that enemy is as good as you or your friendles just set enemy AI's skill to 0 and friendly AI's skill to 1.

The AI in Arma is a damn site less accurate and a lot slower than the guys I play COD UO with.

I'm crap and I can still run fire and head shot a moving target with a bolt action rifle.

Uh, thats not very realistic at all.

Ok,some time ago I have do those tests with OFP

I have modified some addons with those settings

For soldiers

audible=0;

camouflage=0;

visiblesize=0;

sensitivity/various=0;

For rifles

visibleFire=0;

audibleFire=0;

visibleFireTime=0;

For handguns I have keep the standard values then I have started the test.

Walked through a full squad of commies killing,and spraying rounds around like Rambo->no one of them killed me

Even if I was stepping in front of them

Then I switched with the hand gun shot a single round in the air->got nuked instantly even if they were not able to see me.

Same thing is happening with ArmA,nothing new.

Ok,some time ago I have do those tests with OFP

I have modified some addons with those settings

For soldiers

audible=0;

camouflage=0;

visiblesize=0;

sensitivity/various=0;

For rifles

visibleFire=0;

audibleFire=0;

visibleFireTime=0;

For handguns I have keep the standard values then I have started the test.

Walked through a full squad of commies killing,and spraying rounds around like Rambo->no one of them killed me

Even if I was stepping in front of them

Then I switched with the hand gun shot a single round in the air->got nuked instantly even if they were not able to see me.

Same thing is happening with ArmA,nothing new.

I guess (cant do anything more) that the knowsabout value is something like (very roughly):

knowledgetroughearing*knowledgetroughseeing*timesincelastinformation*whatever.

In your case it would be something like 0*(max value)*(max value)*(whatever), when the hearing suddenly becomes >0 the knowsabout would instantly rise up from 0 to a level thats high enough for the AI to attack you.

And another thing If anything friendly AI accuracy needs to be beefed up! In OFP friendly AI were good at surviving and shoot straight most of the time, I could count on them more or less, cant say the same for the US AI in Arma though they make good corpses they die waaay too easily in my opinion.

Look at your skill settings in difficulty menu. There's answer If you can't cope with thing that enemy is as good as you or your friendles just set enemy AI's skill to 0 and friendly AI's skill to 1.

Yeah did that as soon as I bought the game just like in the demo.... doesent work as it should. :|

Hehe, quote from the official S.T.A.L.K.E.R. website:

Quote[/b] ]One of the advantages of the AI in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is that the NPCs and enemies will try to guess where the enemy is rather than know it. It would be too simple to let the AI know where the enemy is, so developers opted for a more interesting way of putting other characters in the same shoes as the player. They are limited by what they see and hear, their sight is impaired in darkness and behind the bush. They hear what the player can hear.

Of course, anyone who's played the game will know it doesn't exactly work out like this - while the enemy behaviour can be very cool and realistic sometimes, other times they'll just get confused and start walking endlessly into a bit of scenery... Still, they have the right idea.

It's a shame that the AI is intrinsic to the engine, I'd love to see a bunch of devs all get together to make an ultra-realistic AI system from the ground up...

A very sofisticated Ai would be really nice, but the downpart is (imho) it will put alot of pressure on the CPU.

But with the upcoming of the multi-core cpu's this might be less of an issue in the future.

/Vulcan

And ArmA works like same... Only that their hearing gives them rather good hint about location of threat. ArmA does the same quessing, looking at engage square shows that it isn't always there where opponent is. Movement has big impact on this.

1. I see your moving there

2. Now i can't see you so (you went out of my sight)... So i think about your moving speed and direction and calculate your path.

3. I'm going to check it

or

3. Damn calculation were wrong! (i can't see anything in the spot that square is pointing) So i need do quess some spot in between. NOTE: About this routine: i'm not sure how is it determed, but this is my quess

4. You weren't there... So i quess i need to go back to my position in formation

This is how AI works when opponent is moving and AI sees that, but them they can't see opponent.Only issue is that hearing is too good, well not too good, but they can pinpoint of locations with hearing very well... Which then again can cover some of their flaws (like they have no actual logic that where enemy would be hiding, under that bush or in that house)

I agree with Misfitko and Second, I feel that BIS made this tradeoff to less intensify the already horrid load on our PCs that we are enduring...I definitely would like to see this hearing toned down just a slight bit, considering I do have a Core 2 Duo CPU and a lot of ppl don't yet (or AMD equivalent), I have an easy bias to say that I would like to see a beefed up AI that can utilize more CPU calculation...all in all, BIS plz slightly tone down the hearing of the AI as well as tone down their impossible accuracy, I don't like the idea of killing one of their squad members with them automatically knowing where I am after that only to get hit even when I'm supposedly hidden..I'm sure many won't argue with that, the AI is dangerous enough as it is..

For now I would say we should check out these lines of code for the time being...for those who play single player, just go into your my documents/arma other profiles/user name/armaprofile file and edit these lines so you don't get hit by super accurate AI under "class Difficulties" for whatever difficulty you prefer...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

skillFriendly=1.000000;

skillEnemy=0.750000;

precisionFriendly=0.700000;

precisionEnemy=0.350000;

};

I hope that more servers can start using this edit as well, it would SURELY help those who play Evolution, these are just the numbers I use since my friendly AI get killed so much, edit the precision values to whatever seems the most realistic accuracy to you of course.  For servers this config can be found in server.cfg, these same values should be in there as well...at least we can do something in the meanwhile to tone down this AI madness...for single player users, plz note that you must play a couple campaign missions for this value to finally appear in your profile if you cannot find it initially..

Edit:  I have realized through more internet research that SimHQ is already using this idea in their server, makes me want to signup with them and see how their server works..for a more detailed post about this situation plz visit 1-8th General Discussion Forums, at least this code can be deemed as a temporary fix until BIS catches up and makes them a permanent value with a patch for the accuracy matter.

Right now i'm more intrested about that 'movetarget' scripting command... Altough it can more be related to FSM and combatroutines, and not affect to position of target or engage square.

Those setskill-things only affect to AI's skill in certain aspect, altought who knows what everything they have impact on, once BIS gets them working. Maybe it affects also to pinpointing.

i think a solution maybe coming.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setSkill_array

maybe guys who know scripting better could say if it looks like it or not? smile_o.gif

Too bad this is not implemented yet... This will be very interesting to toy with, searching the best balance.

No more need for HD mags, like in JAM, as you can set the "shaking" value of the enemy higher, for example.

I hope they get it working very quickly !

Malick

maybe guys who know scripting better could say if it looks like it or not? smile_o.gif

Too bad this is not implemented yet... This will be very interesting to toy with, searching the best balance.

No more need for HD mags, like in JAM, as you can set the "shaking" value of the enemy higher, for example.

I hope they get it working very quickly !

Malick

You dont need hd-mags in arma. Lower the AI precision and have the skill high. Then they are aggressive and lay down more bullets on you, but alot of bullets miss you.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">skillFriendly=1.000000;

skillEnemy=0.750000;

precisionEnemy=0.350000;

I think both parameters have influence on the same thing.

This "precisionEnemy" would be replaced by two separate values : "aimingAccuracy" and "aimingShaking". I guess the first one deals with the general direction of the target and the second deals with a random shaking around the general direction.

The more control you got, the better tounge2.gif

Malick

The "setSkill array" will be a very usefull command but for slightly different things.

The "moveTarget" looks more promising and could work for a scripting work around for the AI's uber-trangulation but I prefer that it's fixed/improved in stock AI instead of having to rely on usermade 3rd party scripts.

Since BIS already planned to have typeAccuracy and posAccuracy parameters in moveTarget command I'm pretty sure that it will be used for stock AI as well, or at least thats what I hope...

/KC

Also precision should depend on how long AI tracking target through ironcross (whatever) in seconds.

Decreasing precision value really makes Arma more playable, i dont find myself shot out of an helicopter seat by some pk gunner 500 meters away anymore..

I think BIS just got the dificulty/a.i. skill settings wrong. This is bad because players will (try to) play, find themselves cheated by the a.i. and give up in frustration..

And this really isnt something complicated to "fix", its regretable that it wasnt tweaked in one of the patches already, since complaints about the a.i's extreme sniping abilities are very comon in the forum and bts.

Heat, what kind of values are we talking about? ATM im using some AIDispersionCoef settings on weapons which works okay but is not really a great way of achieving it. What kind of precision settings are for you still in the green zone of 'not too clumsy, but no sharpshooters either'?

I'm also wondering when reading some posts, if friendly ai precision and skill have some kind of x0.5 coef by default, as some suggest having the precision/skill of friendlies, 2x higher than enemy. Anyone any real data on that?

From previous page SB, the user profile config.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

skillFriendly=1.000000;

skillEnemy=0.750000;

precisionEnemy=0.350000;

};

precisionEnemy=0.350000

Perhaps a little higher but definetly high skill + low precision.

I think BIS should do a little adjustment in the ingame dificulty settings for patch 1.09.

Thanks Heat! Will try soon with removal of the AiCoef and precision settings near what you posted.

Still wondering why friendly ai has twice as good precision setting in the example though.

As HeatSeeker explained, you can tweak these values to your own likings. By setting in difficulty friendly AI precision as twice the enemy value, you of course get an easier game.

I find myself comfortable with the following values for regular:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">skillFriendly=0.850000;

skillEnemy=0.750000;

precisionFriendly=0.550000;

precisionEnemy=0.450000;

It makes firefight last longer and don't make friendly AI super human. Your team still has the edge over the enemy, but it's not exagerated in regular difficulty.

For veteran difficulty :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">skillFriendly=0.850000;

skillEnemy=0.850000;

precisionFriendly=0.550000;

precisionEnemy=0.550000;

This way, all teams are equal. Sometimes, the AI tends to fire like dumbasses under the effect of surprise, but it's maybe realistic...

Don't forget to try out Q's PROPER AI test framework as it is very useful.

By changing AI sensitivity, you can really get a satisfying experience. For my missions, I feel Man class sensitivity of 10 is quite the right middle spot. The AI sees and engages the enemy around 300-400m.

Malick

Still wondering why friendly ai has twice as good precision setting in the example though.

Well, i dont play as SLA very often and most missions put us against a larger enemy force.

I dont like to be overun by infantry and armour because my squad gets slaughtered in the first 10 seconds of a firefight so i left blufor the way it was..

I havent played with the skill but im wondering if lowering this prevents the a.i. from seeing at night, i had enough of that already.

Hello. I bought ArmA in the beginning of the summer, but only very recently I've found time to play it.

With what version of the game are you experiencing this "pinpointing"? I've been fooling around in the editor, enemies having their skill set to 0.5 or 0.25 from the editor, and most of the time, if I'm shooting from a good cover, (for example, leaning behind corner) they can't figure out even my direction.

My game is unpatched, I downloaded the updates, but didn't install them yet.