Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

"...If I choose to buy any of their products, it'll be

because I think it's worth it..."

agreed... but i think if buying the expansion allows bis to further patch armed assault and add new "content" it is (for me) worth it.

i was truly shocked with the initial release...but 1.008 was - for me (again) - a big step in the right direction...

actually i am not interested in new missions or a new campaign at all... the editor is the game for me... but as i said...if selling expansions generate enough income for bis to further patch the game then buying makes sense (for me)... and at an estimated 14.something euros... it will not make me starve for a month...

...vbs2 would *lol*

...actually i am not interested in new missions or a new campaign at all... the editor is the game for me

I agree. I played OFPs missions for a while, finished the campaigns etc, but it's the Editor that kept me hooked.

If the new expansion adds more stuff to the editor (granted most of it is included in 1.08) then i'll be buying it.

Still on for september?

@ Mr. Reality: I agree with your post. Im finding it hard to find faith in BIS. Sure i like the game, and i love OFP, but it seems that this community gives them too many excuses. I dont know how they could release ArmA 1.0 in as bad a state as OFP was in its early days..

They had to. As simple as that, they had to, or they wouldn't have released it.

Imho, there's no "excuse" or rant to give them, just watch what they do, and if not correct, don't buy, as simple as that.

I've never bought Red Hammer back in the days, as I found the product very poor. I'll do the same with QG if it's also poor.

As for "finding faith in BI", I just watch them continuing patching and trying to make the product better (or less bad :P ), and I compare to other companies. Personnaly that gives me a bit of faith, because very few put that much after-work (per people in the company) on their product.

I'm currently beta testing ET:QW, for example. If you compare the content and innovations, it's rather poor. It's well done and every little aspect is nicely worked on, but it doesn't bring tons of different things to the table, tbh (or I missed much of them :P ). When I come back to ArmA, suddenly I see all the little details that are new and add to the game. I see how much undestroyable environnement, lack of ambient life, tiny size of maps are missing in QW. Things that I quickly oversee in ArmA.

It's 2 completely different ways to design new games. 1 takes existing things and mix them and do them the best they can (another typical example is Blizzard's WoW). It works fine, it makes excellent games.

The other tries to bring innovative things, to shake up things. Having an engine able to manage 400km² terrain to the level of detail seen in ArmA is not something you should drop and forget. The ability to run that much AIs, the ballistic management, etc, etc...

Ofc, all this is 1) done with the manpower available to BI (ie, few) so it's not a revolution in gaming, it's done at BI's scale, 2) bound to encounter tons of technical issues. Because it's new, not seen anywhere else, un-proven concepts.

I'm not making excuses for them, like I said, if QG is bad, then so be it, I won't buy. But I'm not in the "it's unacceptable" crowd either, because I think there are valid reasons behind all this (well, some bad management and decisions by BI are also part of the problem, but not the sole issue). The kind of reasons that give me faith, because they bring something new to the table.

^^^I don't think I could have put it better. ^^^

Do you guys think the expansion pack will bring support for Vista? I'm not sure if it is Nvidia's fault or BIS but it seems like BIS dont care about the users that would like DX10 for Bioshock, Crysis, etc. and are doing nothing to support.

Do you guys think the expansion pack will bring support for Vista? I'm not sure if it is Nvidia's fault or BIS but it seems like BIS dont care about the users that would like DX10 for Bioshock, Crysis, etc. and are doing nothing to support.

Why should they...?

This is a DX9 game and Vista user will be the absolute minority of gamers for the next 12 months to come.

Why should they...?

This is a DX9 game and Vista user will be the absolute minority of gamers for the next 12 months to come.

I doubt that with games like Bioshock, Crysis, Alan Wake, etc supporting it and looking great under it. Why should I be forced to dual boot for ONE game, plenty dx9 games run fine for me. Isn't there something that can be done?

Why should they...?

The only support I see needed...is from Nvidia and their 8800gtx drivers.

The only game in my 4ft tall cd collection of games that keeps me coming back, is Operation Flashpoint, and thats over a 6 year time span.

I to will be trying all the new dx10 games...but I bet ArmA keeps me coming back to it!

So...now the "minority" gets to explore both sides. xmas_o.gif

this united sahrani is it a island with no East/West division or something else?

One new weapon and vehicle? Comeon BIS...

I loved the "feature list" btw on the website, sure did have alot of stars next to the "content" stating it was included in the 1.08 patch for ArmA!

Yeah why do that, put it on the list if its already out!!huh.gif?

Or did you just want to make your list look bigger for all the dumb people who didnt, havnt reliased? LOL! wink_o.gif

Or did you just want to make your list look bigger for all the dumb people who didnt, havnt reliased? LOL!  wink_o.gif

That is exactly why they chose to do it.

I still can't understand why there stating that the expansion comes with patch 1.08, and this patch was released two months ago.

I personally think Queens Gambit is nothing more than a way to get a quick buck out of the fans. I may be out of line saying that as it's not yet released, but i feel it will be a total con. Two tiny campaigns, six or so new units and a couple of new vehicles. I don't care if is just over 10 quid, it still looks like a f***ing rip off.

Hmm, something interesting I was thinking the other night - I keep seeing posts saying 'BIS is only a small company, tiny team, give them slack' etc. I'm not sure anyone's pointed it out - but what really matters is how many actual man hours do they put into the game per pound that you pay. The fact is they have less people to pay, so 40 developers working for 3 years in theory costs about as much as 120 developers working for 1 year. Obviously that's not precisely accurate as they'll be running up bills and additional costs every hour, but that's one of the reasons WHY companies strive to grow bigger.

Now I'm not knocking BIS, I think the day small developers are driven out of business by the giants of industry will be a sad day, as all the niche products (which OFP/ArmA undeniably is) will cease to exist in favour of satisfying the masses (ala Holywood). I'm gonna buy QG whatever, just cos I'd hate to see all the dedication and love BIS (and the community) put into their games go to waste.

Still, I don't think that's an excuse for substandard quality, especially if it has a long term impact on the fan base. Personally I'd rather wait a bit longer and get something substantial like the Resistance expansion, but if they think throwing out a quick cheap addon is gonna tide them over long enough to release something more groundbreaking, so be it.

Still, it'd be nice if they'd hurry up and release something groundbreaking soon... whistle.gif

I personally think Queens Gambit is nothing more than a way to get a quick buck out of the fans. I may be out of line saying that as it's not yet released, but i feel it will be a total con. Two tiny campaigns, six or so new units and a couple of new vehicles. I don't care if is just over 10 quid, it still looks like a f***ing rip off.

Dunno, quite alot people bought RH and that offered less then this expansion.

But hey, good thing is that you arent required to buy it. wink_o.gif

(In that case BI would probably lose alot of 'fans', because then they would be purely milking us, at least now its our own choice to be 'milked' )

well...maybe the new content, which got included in the latest patch already, was initially thought to be included with the expansion pack?

so... i got something for free... which isn´t bad imho...

anyway... 15 euros for a new island and a couple of new units is ok in my book...

for another similar system it would have been a "terrain pack" and slightly more expensive wink_o.gif

speaking of terrain... once wrptool/visitor gets released for armed assault the available content doesn´t look too bad smile_o.gif

the terrain features included in sarani are quite versatile imho... with those models & textures almost every landscape can be modelled ... imho...

ok... a winter texture set is missing... apart from that it is quite complete smile_o.gif

(european woodlands, rural areas, southern european arid landscape, middle east/desert settings etc.)

if bis would release "themed" island expansions that would be great imho... e.g. south american stuff, asian landscapes etc...

more material to build own islands smile_o.gif

and a good idea to generate some income to further develop armed assault smile_o.gif

I would like to see this game atleast on gamestop.com to reserve a preorder.  Armed Assault isn't even on there at all. Complain all you want, but you'll probaly need this expansion to download future patchs and upgrades like OFP, and most other games out there are like this. I'm gettin this baby.  Even though all settings are on very low with my new rig. With lots of lag still. One side note. I hope on of these days they implament dual core support cause it's been out for awhile, and compatablity for Vista.

AthlonX2 3800

1gig DDR2 Ram

ATI1950 pro 512MB

I really hope that if this expansion isnt equivalent to Res then another one is planned that is. OFP was so improved by Res and its quality campaign as well as the great new Island we got and a huge patch as well. If the same thing doesnt happen for ARMA that will be a big blow to the future of this game.

If the Queens Gambit Addon is called a ripoff, what would you call something this..or the average MS-FS Addon.

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/store/shockwavelights

I'd call it work done by some independent 3rd party addon maker.

If these transparent light effects were photoshopped and I got merely solid white cones in game I'd call it a fraud tho. wink_o.gif

Dunno, quite alot people bought RH and that offered less then this expansion.

But hey, good thing is that you arent required to buy it. wink_o.gif

(In that case BI would probably lose alot of 'fans', because then they would be purely milking us, at least now its our own choice to be 'milked' )

But surely if QG comes with like '1 new gun and 1 new vehicle' as stated on the previous page, then if people want to play online with people who bought QG then they'd need those addons? So either QG will have to come with a patch if its optional or a patch will have to follow shortly after...

Therefore all you're really paying for is the campaigns, and i wanna hear what people think first. But i havent got high hopes.. theres two campaigns in it, i was hoping for quality not quantity. But hey, they could still surprise me wink_o.gif

I have never been disappointed with any of the BI releases.

No game that comes out is ever perfect, there is always a glitch or a bug or what ever, but flashpoint and Armed Assault offer something that no other game even comes close to.

No, they aren’t as fast paced as the Unreal, Medal of Honour or Call of duty.

No, they aren’t as graphically jaw dropping as Half Life2, FarCry or Crysis.

But they are far more fun to play. Much more emersive and generally better games.

What’s more, you guys obviously think so too. Or you'd be chatting on another forum about another game.

I will be buying the expansion. Not out of loyalty to BIS, but to further my experience of ArmA.

When’s it out? September still?

I think it's a matter of perception. The half full or half empty glasses. I see the bugs, but my eyes are lead astray traveling through Sahrani. I can't wait to get ahold of Porto or the new Sahrani.

I think it's a matter of perception. The half full or half empty glasses. I see the bugs, but my eyes are lead astray traveling through Sahrani. I can't wait to get ahold of Porto or the new Sahrani.

damn straight.

Wonder what they'll be like? Sandy, Lush & Green...?

Wonder what changes will be on Sahrani?

Also I wonder if the King and the President will appear in it? The models are already in ArmA, but i never saw them, did you?

Wonder how the weapons dealers will work...! I can't wait!

yay.gif

IHMO i see ArmA:QG as good chance to get new customers with up2date game (w/o hassle of patching)

who knows maybe it comes with 1.09 out of box (tho for now lets count about hotfixed 1.08)

by luck it may come with some modding tools, improved manual, tactical guides etc.

maybe linux or multicore ready dedicated windows server smile_o.gif)

ofc nothing uber for already existing customers ... just some bonus content ...

it would be great if owners of download versions could use theirs 'purchased' game key as discount ticket

btw. sig says all (ok just part) what i wish for smile_o.gif