Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

BIS is in need of cash. They are a small company. They do not have a big game/sim portfolio to bring in the cash, say like EA. They had to release ArmA in it's bug ridden state just to pay the electrical bills. But ArmA/OFP is such a niche game/sim they will have to keep doing these "expansions" to keep from going under. Fine by me. If I have to pay to keep this excellent game/sim going by buying "expansions" so be it. But they better deliver bug fixes/additional content in these "expansions" and not just some stinking missions. I get those for free.

How could you expect a company to just make stuff for free? They need money to keep on working. It is a business after all.

I will buy Queens Gambit, I'm looking forward to it smile_o.gif

Looking back at 6 years and counting that I've been playing solely BIS games, I have really no objection to paying 15$ twice a year or so.

But I really hope they don't misinterpret the sales in the way that we all are looking forward to new missions instead of patches.

If I have to jump on the never ending BIforums expectations bandwagon: I'm hoping for a new island with similar topographical features to OFP's Everon. Rolling hills (think the farmland near Obregan, Northern Sahrani), no extreme variations in height.

Regardless, the expansion will find itself alongside my OFP expansions..

Hey Dmitri, what I always wanted to ask you:

Why do you use Haywire's photo instead of Dimitri's?

How could you expect a company to just make stuff for free? They need money to keep on working. It is a business after all.

Patches are free smile_o.gif

Patches are free smile_o.gif

Yea, but that's like after sales service I guess smile_o.gif Can't expect it to continue forever. Besides, you can't deny that ArmA was unfinished at release confused_o.gif

Include the features found in Virtual Battlefield.

The tracers, the deployables, the 3D editors, the real world maps and the on the fly mission editing.

That's what it will take for me.

I don't play this game. The advancements I was looking for are not there.

Stick them in along with the other snappy new ones I've seen, and BIS will have something I'm intrested in.

No offence to the nice people who will, but I don't expect to be buying this expansion. I'd like to, but I don't honestly them to make what I am looking for.

I think if they were going to, they already would have done.

I will of course be sure to take a look at it and check but expectations are low at my end.

My personal take on this is that VBS2 is,or will hold back the added features for ArmA, which is the mainstream game.

The two companies, BIS and BIA are very closely linked, so BIS will not add VBS2 features to ArmA. Even basic features like tracers wernt added to ArmA and that is a real let down.

BIS will only ever release a sub-standard simulation when the likes of VBS are around because they cant justify the customer spending 30 pounds on ArmA and 1000 pounds on VBS2 if the content is too similar.

So in short, all you BIS fanboys will only ever have second best (unless you want to spend ridiculus amounts of money) and that includes Game2 release, if it ever happens.

How much do you wanna bet, that when (or if) Game2 is released,VBS3 will be on the horizon...deja-veu anyone.

Sorry for this offtopic rant, but i'm feeling a little pissed off about now. Queens gambit, what a crock....

I've just noticed it at play.com aswell. 12 quid...

click me

I'll deffinatly wait for a review before i get my toes wet.

"Pre-order | Due for release on 28/09/2007"

yeah 2 day before my birthday yay.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Hmm was about to preorder it, then I saw the price tag. 43€ crazy_o.gif

wink_o.gif

If you refrained from sniping at the fanboys, you're comments about BIS withholding content would sound less shrill. You must understand a military training tool and a pc entertainment game created by two different companies, on two different continents will differ in content and price.

I'm probably going to buy in a store unless, amazon will save me a couple of days waiting.

Well, for me, unless I get it on good authority that the new

campaigns are really something special I think I'll give it a

miss or at least wait until the price comes down. Unless I'm

missing something, I haven't seen anything about it so far

that gets me all that excited.

If I have to jump on the never ending BIforums expectations bandwagon: I'm hoping for a new island with similar topographical features to OFP's Everon. Rolling hills (think the farmland near Obregan, Northern Sahrani), no extreme variations in height.

Regardless, the expansion will find itself alongside my OFP expansions..

Not entirely sure you'll get your wish. From the info presented in the past, it's somewhere in-between Rahmadi and southern Sahrani.

Besides, the new island has a decidedly Middle Eastern flavor.

Screenshot

Complete consumer satisfation is a task impossible to fullfill.

And I think the games these days have lost the respect for the work that is done by developers...all they do ist nickpicking and call in more.

This is beginning to make me sick while reading game related forums these days.

Sometimes I can't understand what lots of gamers do exspect from a 45€ Software or a 15€ Addon.

I am somewhere inbetween blind fanboy and descerning gamer. The biggest issue i have at the moment is that I have not touched Arma for weeks, I have gone back to vbs1 and apart from the island I miss nothing about Arma.

Which is a shame because I was looking forward to Arma, and I hope this expansion rekindles my interest. The complete lack of info around on QG is a bit of a concern for me, and if the island is anything like lizardia (VBS1) in size then I cant see it being worth the coin.

The only hope is that the campaign is worth the price of admission.

What would make QG a truely ass kicking expansion would be too include the Mod tools with it!

I believe that the tools will be free for download anyway.(at least I hope they are:) )

Not only do you get the added content but you also get something that will really keep you involved for quite some time.

Anyhow I think Gambit will sell o.k , the island alone will be worth the price for me.

stonewall

I Gambit only going to be a nice boxed mission addon or will there be other goodies in it as well?

Well, for me, unless I get it on good authority that the new

campaigns are really something special I think I'll give it a

miss or at least wait until the price comes down. Unless I'm

missing something, I haven't seen anything about it so far

that gets me all that excited.

True. Contenst of expansion is somewhat average (comparing to other expansions in the gamingindustry).

Then again i remember that there has been disgussing about thing that future patches for ArmA would require that expansion... So there's change that Vanilla ArmA will be droped of from the wagon of progress in future.

@Olle Stolpe

hint 1: read the first page of this thread

hint 2: read official ArmA news wink_o.gif

...but wait don't ask me why they have two different pics for the addonpack:

- one wich is on armaqueensgambit "voted" (see also chapter 6 in Terms and Conditions.)

- the other on armedassault.com

maybe another PR-trick with community? whistle.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Dunno if anyone saw it already, but ArmedAssault.com has been updated with some minor details about the new campaigns and islands.

Quote[/b] ]The Rahmadi Conflict: Beautifly designed 3 large missions involving massive battles between the SLA, US and RACS forces within massive fortifications.
Quote[/b] ]Royal Flush: A group of seasoned mercenaries in 7 action/ stealth missions hungry for one dirty goal. Just what is really waiting at the end of the road? New features of this campaign include equipment management including arms merchant.
Quote[/b] ]Porto Island: designed for smaller multiplayer scenarios and offers perfect environment for intense battles in urban terrain
Quote[/b] ]United Sahrani: United Sahrani contains new structures built since the original story of Armed Assault with dozens of improvements

Quote[/b] ]The Rahmadi Conflict: Beautifly designed 3 large missions involving massive battles between the SLA, US and RACS forces within massive fortifications.

3 missions don't make a campaign, and it sounds a bit arcadish for my liking

Quote[/b] ]Royal Flush: A group of seasoned mercenaries in 7 action/ stealth missions hungry for one dirty goal. Just what is really waiting at the end of the road? New features of this campaign include equipment management including arms merchant.

7 missions doesn't make a campaign either. I just hope to god the've updated those mercs since the last screenshots.

Quote[/b] ]Porto Island: designed for smaller multiplayer scenarios and offers perfect environment for intense battles in urban terrain

I thought the beauty of ArmA was the big enviroments. Sounds like a cop-out if you ask me. I mean whats the point in making huge islands if they then make a smaller island for MP.

Quote[/b] ]United Sahrani: United Sahrani contains new structures built since the original story of Armed Assault with dozens of improvements

That sounds good, although i never liked the original sahrani much.

Oh and while i'm on a roll, that new weapons and vehicles list, well we've already got 70% of them with patch 1.08.

Guest Ti0n3r

The two new islands sound very promising to me. And so does (especially) Royal Flush. Seems like it'll be something close to Resistance. Just hope they will put effort into it.