Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

They should release some more info about it if it's meant to be out in September... So I doubt it will be out for a few more months.

Have we ever recieved much info beforehand? Not really. They just shoot stuff out of their mighty cannon without much of an advance warning. That's one of the reasons why so many people on these forums tend to b*tch about BI a lot.

It would be nice if there was some kind of dev blog.

Queen's gambit should be presented at the games convention (22-26 august), if i remember right.

Queen's gambit should be presented at the games convention (22-26 august), if i remember right.

Are you certain of that? And do you have any sources?

I've been thinking of going to the GC. I was there last year and it rocked.

I managed to find it: there.

Edit: I'm still trying to find the exact source i read, but maybe i was wrong sad_o.gif.

QG will be presented at this years GC, afaik smile_o.gif

QG will be presented at this years GC, afaik smile_o.gif

I just checked out the list of exibitions on the GC website and couldn't find ArmA/BIS/QG/505-Games or anything similar. I hope you guys are right! biggrin_o.gif

I'll go on record now to say that the only reason it'll sell is because you'll need it to be compatible with future updates which might fix the game.

Leaving ArmA as is and moving onto QC is a very 'EA' thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

I think i will wait untill others have bought and made there conslusions.

I don't care much for new vehicles or weapons, addonmakers can do that even better, what I am hoping for is a nice island, good campaign and above all, some new engine features that make more feature-rich addons possible.

The biggest shame of ArmA is the lack of proper campaign(s), while OFP had two brilliant campaigns.

Quote[/b] ]Leaving ArmA as is and moving onto QC is a very 'EA' thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

They're not leaving it behind, with OFP, the Resistance expansion improved many points that were left out or of limited use in Cold War Crisis. See it as a huge patch with goodies attached. CWC wasn't perfect, ArmA isn't perfect, QG might very well achieve the same result as Resistance did for OFP.

Guest Ti0n3r

It will sell if they manage to make two good campaigns and a good island. But I myself doubt they're capable of that, which is a shame.

But I'll still get it though.

Well from what i had read Queens gambit will be using Arma 1.08 still so it wont be like resistance in that regard which was a patch if i remember correctly (sorry if i am wrong, its been a long time biggrin_o.gif ) It should hopefully have a good campaign however, with some interesting new ideas in the missions. I think the only reason i would buy it is if it fixed my problems with chrashing and artifacts when i increase my texture quality (and no my graphics card is not overheating)

Well from what i had read Queens gambit will be using Arma 1.08 still so it wont be like resistance in that regard which was a patch if i remember correctly (sorry if i am wrong, its been a long time biggrin_o.gif )  It should hopefully have a good campaign however, with some interesting new ideas in the missions.  I think the only reason i would buy it is if it fixed my problems with chrashing and artifacts when i increase my texture quality (and no my graphics card is not overheating)

Cant be certain but i think i remember reading that it would include an 'engine overhaul' or something in the likes? :S

I'll buy QG if only because I enjoy ArmA and want to support BIS. (Considering the number of hours I've spent on OFP and ArmA, this has to be one of the cheapest hobbies I've ever had!wink_o.gif

What I'm really hoping though is that the expansion will give BIS an other opportunity to attract a sizeable customer-base through a new set of magazine reviews. With less than 1000 players online at _peak_ times (see http://ww.armedassault.eu/stats/) we need an infusion of new players. When ArmA was released, it wasn't finished and every review I read picked up on that. IMHO BIS really need not only to release a simple campaign expansion pack but have to be perceived as 'upgrading' the game to the point where it can generate some significant new publicity.

Cheeky suggestion re above - buy out the Enemy Engaged flight-sim engine and integrate it with ArmA! ;-) That would cause a splash I'm sure !

That dynamic campaign angle in EECH/EE2 would be a good basis for ArmA to work from, but the scale of the AI battles etc. might drag the actual dedi-servers to their knees...

I do wish that the targeting systems of aircraft in ArmA were comparable to EE though.

Perhaps if the EE devs ever read these forums, they might consider making superior addons for ArmA with targeting system etc., and a dynamic campaign engine as an addon-buyable mod for ArmA itself? The resulting sim-game would blow the competition away for years to come.

It would certainly be very interesting to see what the EECH/EE2/ArmA devs could come up with if they were to collaborate, of that I'm sure.

(Considering the number of hours I've spent on OFP and ArmA, this has to be one of the cheapest hobbies I've ever had!wink_o.gif

Agreed! yay.gifpistols.gif

i would wish bis good luck with queens gambit... but... considering the rather unlucky start that armed assault had i doubt it sad_o.gif

quite a lot of people who purchased armed assault were somewhat irritated by the performance and unfinished touch the game had in its initial stages *sigh*... at least the people i talked to ...

if i were to look into the future i would foresee that overall sales of queens gambit would probably be somewhere in the range of armed assault at max... most probably considerably less...

for sure opf/armed assault/vbs deserves better.... an ingenious concept... and opf is the only game i play since years on a almost unhealthy rate wink_o.gif

and armed assault is a fine game in itself since 1.08 (at least on my system)... great patch-support from bis... smile_o.gif

but unless there is a gigantic pr-effort and computers will be considerably more advanced/powerful (faster grafx cards etc.) i see a rather bleak future *sigh*

having uttered such a pessimistic outlook i would like to add that i really hope to be proven wrong and that queens gambit will be a smashing success smile_o.gif

Won't be in Queens Gambit:

- But more realistic armor combat

- More flexibility to infantry

- Better use of cover for AI in general

- Please tone down the murderous anti-aircraft fire. It almost seems that one one can down a jet by tossing stones

So what is left? In the end I expect decent new missions.

i dont see it selling because the original game got bad reviews, thereby didnt sell that well.

I think you can approach this in two ways:

1. Don't buy the expansion because of the bugs and omissions (in your humble opinion, of course) in Armed Assault. I.e: poor pathfinding, bugs in most aspects of the game, no tracers, terrible sounds, short/lackluster campaign (I actually enjoyed it but others didn't).

In all honesty, from a consumers pov, this is the smartest choice.

2. Purchase the expansion on a 'fanboy' basis in the hopes that extra profits will keep BIS in the business long enough to improve various core aspects of Armed Assault.

This really comes down to how much of a fanboy you are, or how much enjoyment you get out of Armed Assault right now. If you're not enjoying it now (most likely because of core game bugs/feature omissions), why would you purchase the expansion pack?

I'll be opting for Option#2 against what I've said in the past, and against my better judgement about how to spend the money I work so hard for. Simply because BIS has listened to community to some degree, and fixed various issues with ArmA that I for one applaud.

pistols.gif

ArmAVidz

(Considering the number of hours I've spent on OFP and ArmA, this has to be one of the cheapest hobbies I've ever had!wink_o.gif

Agreed!  yay.gif  pistols.gif

So do you guys still play on the PC that you had since 2001 then. I know that buying ArmA wasnt cheap for me, since i bought a whole new system to run games like ArmA, only to find the only game it doesn't run too well, is ArmA.

Oh ontopic, I wont buy QG until i've read a few reviews first.

Agreed! yay.gifpistols.gif

So do you guys still play on the PC that you had since 2001 then. I know that buying ArmA wasnt cheap for me, since i bought a whole new system to run games like ArmA, only to find the only game it doesn't run too well, is ArmA.

Oh ontopic, I wont buy QG until i've read a few reviews first.

No, not from 2001,but im on an old 'pcworld pc' that is about 4 years old,bog standard packard bell pc here

2.8 gh p4

512 ram for which i bought another 512 to run bf2 better about 2 yrs ago( for which i appoligize) tounge2.gif

ati 300 se pro 128 mb g-card,which actually ran arma,albeit at a slide show! smile_o.gif

the only upgrade was to a ocuk 7900gs 256mb

This is personal, but to me ArmA is more hobby than just a computer game. I get bored to ready-made games after a week or two (once all the content has been seen).

This game is different. It is what you make of it.

Despite of it's short comings I like  smile_o.gif

Will get QG and see from where it is from

Gambit won't sell because... well.... Arma didn't sell too well. Did they even manage to sell 25,000 copies world wide thus far ? icon_rolleyes.gif

And what are the changes that the expansion, which requires the original game will do well?

Considering how many people felt ripped off with ARMA, I doubt they will make much profit out of it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Its not going to be no Resistance people. Resistance was the prequel to a very well done and successful campaign that was rich in story and content.

ARMA's campaign is more like a bunch of poorly done missions put together. What are the chances that BIS will come out with a great story? Does the author of the 2 OFP campaigns still work for BIS?