Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

Keep in mind that some of the people here who make bold statements about BIS's motivations have never held a job and therefore think that game devs do this "game making thing" for just their enjoyment.

It's a business.

Sometimes decisions are made to make money. You want a new game down the road? They have to make money in the meantime.

Just because you can get 5 years out of a game doesnt mean they can.

Hey! I'm 30, and I've held a good job for about a decade now.

It's a bussiness alright. And that was my point. Maybe BIS is finally learning some good bussiness strategies from their competitors. This people was almost out of bussiness for christ sake! wink_o.gif They have to learn how to make money and they have to do it fast. I'm sure their many publishers have give them very good ideas.

So, goodbye the old BIS. Nice to meet you new BIS.

I'd also like to remind you, that I can deal with bugs and marketing strategies, and I don't blame BIS nor their partners in any way. I bought the game blindly and get very frustrated by almost every game design decision they took. I don't like ArmA but I don't claim anything more that personal taste, it's just not my kind of game.

Keep in mind that some of the people here who make bold statements about BIS's motivations have never held a job and therefore think that game devs do this "game making thing" for just their enjoyment.

It's a business.

Sometimes decisions are made to make money. You want a new game down the road? They have to make money in the meantime.

Just because you can get 5 years out of a game doesnt mean they can.

Hey! I'm 30, and I've held a good job for about a decade now.

It's a bussiness alright. And that was my point. Maybe BIS is finally learning some good bussiness strategies from their competitors. This people was almost out of bussiness for christ sake! wink_o.gif They have to learn how to make money and they have to do it fast. I'm sure their many publishers have give them very good ideas.

So, goodbye the old BIS. Nice to meet you new BIS.

I'd also like to remind you, that I can deal with bugs and marketing strategies, and I don't blame BIS nor their partners in any way. I bought the game blindly and get very frustrated by almost every game design decision they took. I don't like ArmA but I don't claim anything more that personal taste, it's just not my kind of game.

By what i have seen on screenshots i'm not going to buy this pack, it needs to have more improvememnts then just campagins and cowboy hats... Maybe some BF2 fans will, but we neeed quality expansion pack  smile_o.gif You got frustrated by game design decisions? you never played OFP then..... Since BIS did make expansion pack before, but not ***** quality as this one, they actualy had realistic military units not some people in cobwoy hats and shorts.....  rofl.gif So its not a new BIS, its still same old BIS.....

they actualy had realistic military units not some people in cobwoy hats and shorts..... rofl.gif So its not a new BIS, its still same old BIS.....

meh, the hat looks reasonable on this chap.

DefenceDevelopment_0195_1.jpg

Or maybe He's Eeben Barlow from EO? Lol wink_o.gif

20001210_xnlob_surviving_m4.jpg

What the eff is wrong with a cowboy hat? OH HES MUST BE HILLBILLY. NOT COSMOPOLITAN SOPHISTICATE LIKE ME LOL.

I'm sick of this bunch. You can spend 14 pages whining about ANYTHING.

LOL nice pic Ebud! Teaching kids about weapons will solve all the world's problems!

Teaching kids about weapons will solve all the world's problems!

I'm posting reference pics, not advocating child soldiers. icon_rolleyes.gif

Teaching kids about weapons will solve all the world's problems!

I'm posting reference pics, not advocating child soldiers. icon_rolleyes.gif

I see what you did there.

I'm not impressed by this expansion.. It's more like a very small minimod made with very little reference about Mercs.

Yeah, no kidding.

Most of the units look like reskins with a few new character models. Not too mention the fact that almost every single piece of gear the PMCs are wearing is incorrect... Point Blank flak jackets anyone?

Sorry, but somewhere in the last 15 pages have we established if this is a BIS expansion or a 505 expansion? If it's another Red Hammer then I'm in 2 minds about purchasing it or not.

hum, if bi listen to this, i have one and only one request of this pack:

I WANT THE GAME, FIXED. pistols.gif

or they should just release the tools and let us fix the game ourself

all to respect 1.08 really improve the game to a much playable state, but for an expansion its clearly not enought, if you want to make as much ppl happy as possible then it must have atless OFP:R quality, which means bugs fixes as well as new features that rock the world

Quote[/b] ]Queen's Gambit will also bring with it the final 1.08 patch which will add new weapons, vehicles, characters, gun dealers, a resource management feature, technical tweaks, and the ability for North American players to fight alongside the rest of the international ArmA community.
Quote[/b] ]gun dealers, a resource management feature?

Uhh... okay. crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]...the final 1.08 patch

And there is your answer!

EDIT - http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/47468

Quote[/b] ]Queen's Gambit will also bring with it the final 1.08 patch, which will add new weapons, vehicles, characters, gun dealers, a resource management feature, technical tweaks, and the ability for North American players to fight alongside the rest of the international ArmA community.

Uhh... okay. crazy_o.gif

gun dealers, a resource management feature?

which means you could "buy" a new and better guns, but i'd want a new system of custom weapon came together as its pointless to only "buy" your gun together with the things mount on it instead of just "add" them on it

i respect BI for their work on the game and i thank them for getting this game out with all the crap that happened and for their support(which someone disagree just because of the sakes of "shits happens") but this pack really do sounds rubbish for me

I hope those 2 campaigns are good, they need to be to make up for the original ArmA one IMO.

It's great to see an expansion. I guess this is going to be something like what OFP: Resistance was to OFP, at least I hope so.

Unusual names, 'Queens Gambit' and 'Royal Flush'. Referring to the story I guess wink_o.gif

I predict a bunch of comments like "what about the patches" tounge2.gif

@TheReddog: Enough of this crap! The game isn't broken, it's been patched a lot and I'm sure there will be a couple more before the expansion.

My arse it's not broken, head over to troubleshooting and tell me it's not broken you tool.

It's hard to see a little company like BIS working on patches and an expansion simultaneously, they're welcome to prove me wrong but I am not happy about the idea of having to pay for an expansion to get more fixes to the engine.

I payed full price for the 505 release (1.05) and the game was full of problems. Now at 1.08 I can't even get my bloody NVG's to stay on without periodically using the 'flush' command and that's just one among a list of bugs/gameplay issues/performance problems as long as my arm.

Well this was a big suprise. ...not.

After reading 15 pages about complaints over cowboyhat. banghead.gif all i can say... let's wait and see. Amazing how people can already say how good or bad this expansion is after few screenshots and little info.

I hope those 2 campaigns are good, they need to be to make up for the original ArmA one IMO.

It's great to see an expansion. I guess this is going to be something like what OFP: Resistance was to OFP, at least I hope so.

Unusual names, 'Queens Gambit' and 'Royal Flush'. Referring to the story I guess wink_o.gif

I predict a bunch of comments like "what about the patches" tounge2.gif

@TheReddog: Enough of this crap! The game isn't broken, it's been patched a lot and I'm sure there will be a couple more before the expansion.

My arse it's not broken, head over to troubleshooting and tell me it's not broken you tool.

It's hard to see a little company like BIS working on patches and an expansion simultaneously, they're welcome to prove me wrong but I am not happy about the idea of having to pay for an expansion to get more fixes to the engine.

I payed full price for the 505 release (1.05) and the game was full of problems. Now at 1.08 I can't even get my bloody NVG's to stay on without periodically using the 'flush' command and that's just one among a list of bugs/gameplay issues/performance problems as long as my arm.

i got a german DL, the 505 release and another from atari and they all worked fine with 1.08(the 505 get scarerom maddness but are now resolved, dont ask me how as i dont know why), so the patch fix the game, FOR ME

sorry it doesnt work for you, but in general it do fix things

but then if you only put a patch we have now into an expansion that didnt add many much to the game then its sounds more like of a waste of your 25 euro

@Seitan

we are only try to tell BI not to creat something thats sounds more like a patch then an expansion that cost 25

Well this was a big suprise. ...not.

After reading 15 pages about complaints over cowboyhat. banghead.gif all i can say... let's wait and see. Amazing how people can already say how good or bad this expansion is after few screenshots and little info.

If you think thats something, you should have seen how many pages there were over debates and arguments over the trigger finger animation. whistle.gif

And yeah, funny that eh? Sometimes I can't help but wonder if its better to NOT show WIP anymore these days.

I wonder if it's BI who makes this.

But as there are spelling mistakes on the screenshots - they probably are the ones behind it smiley

Anyway, i'm not going to buy this, as I have already seen how crap BI campaign creation is and I would rather get new islands/campaigns/units from the community.

You guys think this is the reason the tools havent been released yet?

they actualy had realistic military units not some people in cobwoy hats and shorts..... rofl.gif So its not a new BIS, its still same old BIS.....

meh, the hat looks reasonable on this chap.

http://www.idrc.ca/openebooks/853-8/img/DefenceDevelopment_0195_1.jpg

Or maybe He's Eeben Barlow from EO? Lol wink_o.gif

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/images/20001210_xnlob_surviving_m4.jpg

Arghh...

barlowxw9.jpg

Here is one more:

leiesold1xart280lf5.jpg

Oh and if you really want some good pictures of mercenaries, watch Shadow Company, contains some great footage from Sierra Leone and modern day contractors.

Wrote Maruk a PM and asked if he or any of the devs could post something here clearing things up before several people end up with bruises in here smile_o.gif

Lets see if anyone shows up, i hope so at least.

Wrote Maruk a PM and asked if he or any of the devs could post something here clearing things up before several people end up with bruises in here smile_o.gif

Thanks for that, Shadow. Although I'm fairly certain that Black Element will be producing the "Expansion", and BIS will be a part in name only.

+1 WL and 1 week PR for flaming

Keep things civilised, people. mad_o.gif

Thanks for that, Shadow. Although I'm fairly certain that Black Element will be producing the "Expansion", and BIS will be a part in name only.

Probably but that shouldnt keep BIS from posting something about how it exactly is.

...I have already seen how crap BI campaign creation is and I would rather get new islands/campaigns/units from the community.

Have you forgotten about CWC and RES already? huh.gif

I'm pretty sure BIS are aware of the general thoughts on the Arma campaign and I think they are fully capable of making a more story-driven plot.