Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

VXR and hooahman, thx for your replies. that makes it more understandable.

I dont know if i should be happy or not for this expansion since i still cant play Arma properly (the old graphical artifacts problem are still here) and only time will tell whether this is the right way to go for BI. But I´m a bit puzzled as to why there are no official information HERE, at the official forums. Only BI could share some (much needed) light on this expansion.

Just noticed it says its coming with the Final 1.08 Patch

This can mean 1 or 2 things:

1: Its the 1.08 Patch Which has Just Been Released Final as in Last Patch Released

2: There is going to be another 1.08 released which is going to be the final 1.08 release before they work on 1.09 or what ever.

Just noticed it says its coming with the Final 1.08 Patch

This can mean 1 or 2 things:

1: Its the 1.08 Patch Which has Just Been Released Final as in Last Patch Released

2: There is going to be another 1.08 released which is going to be the final 1.08 release before they work on 1.09 or what ever.

Or they could just be wrong. Maybe that 1.08 stuff has changed and they will release a 1.09 or a 1.1 or something.

I would probably wait for news in the official news section, maybe they will tell us something there... if they are allowed.

I would probably wait for news in the official news section, maybe they will tell us something there... if they are allowed.

Yes, as of now, everybody is just guessing and we end up with another "good vs bad" debate again. Thats why I think it would be a good thing that BI themselves put out a little info.

It's just interesting how very few people understands, that the people creating the graphical / mission content probably aren't the same people, who are creating the patches. Most of the fixes requested by the community, are program changes and creating of any graphical content probably couldn't delay the release of any patch. So anyone who is whining that BIS should concentrate at creating the next patch instead of making "stupid" units - please be quiet.

i hope that is a big joke, or the final cost for arma is 70€/$ for one finished game mad_o.gif to mutch player stay to OFP, whith this news i'm afraid for the futur of this game!

True that. I'll probably wind up buying it anyway, but I can't help but wonder, is it only a graphical improvement, a type "Red Hammer" or is it more of a Resistance that adds more things to do and maybe fixes a few things such as HDR effecting area's with no light source.

Now I understand that after say fifteen minutes the human eye can adjust to see in the darkness with few colors but what happens currently is more offsetting, if the effect took some time to happen it would work great, but this sudden instant of the game noticing darkness and compensating makes you usually not want to be in any structure unless near a peak of a window.

Thats the only graphic problem that plays the most major role, also produces this strange graphic problem that causes the texture to dissapear and normal map to be visible in a black gray and white spectrum..hell if it had only that I'd buy it. But its still too early and not to mention cofirmed yet, to cast any real suspicions.

The retexture UH-60 doesn't really bother me if its RAC's, maybe even then it wouldn't if its used in a mostly desert enviroment.

Oh my. So much nerd rage over an early announcement that hasn't even been confirmed by the game developer.

Remember that those screenshots are not final at all. Most likely the team behind the expansion just started working on it, and what we are seeing here is either an early work-in-progress or a proof of concept. They might even be placeholders - we don't know and unless BIS comes out and goes "Oh hay look at us we (or 505) are making an expansion ain't that neat" all 10 pages of this thread are just baseless speculation.

And like I said, since it hasn't been officially and widely announced yet what we are seeing here is pretty much a rumour-mill kind of situation. A website got hold of some information, then another copied that post and added some roughly made-up "facts", like how the expansion will include the 1.08 patch, to appear more informed than any other news source, then another did the same and so on.

Nothing is set in stone, and raging out on it is absolutely stupid.

Oh my. So much nerd rage over an early announcement that hasn't even been confirmed by the game developer.

Remember that those screenshots are not final at all. Most likely the team behind the expansion just started working on it, and what we are seeing here is either an early work-in-progress or a proof of concept. They might even be placeholders - we don't know and unless BIS comes out and goes "Oh hay look at us we (or 505) are making an expansion ain't that neat" all 10 pages of this thread are just baseless speculation.

And like I said, since it hasn't been officially and widely announced yet what we are seeing here is pretty much a rumour-mill kind of situation. A website got hold of some information, then another copied that post and added some roughly made-up "facts", like how the expansion will include the 1.08 patch, to appear more informed than any other news source, then another did the same and so on.

Nothing is set in stone, and raging out on it is absolutely stupid.

I like that post ^. This is true and I fully agree with it. For all we know its another one of those prank things (doubt it) that happened in OFP.

Why not do something interesting like independance lost was?

Personally I find this entirely more interesting than the IL mod which turned into VBS. Whatever YOU would find interesting, there are others who would find something else more interesting. Just like the screens, some like them, some don't.

What can ya do smile_o.gif

Hmm, imo IL was a promissing idea because it would take place in a real world location, even if it was all fictional it would be atleast credible. Arma's setting didnt "suck" me into it so much imersion wise.

The idea with mercenaries/PMC's isnt bad but they would have to create a setting/environment that makes their presence believable. And make their models look real, not taken out of a comic book.

The new "dry" island? I dont understand why they bring Rahmadi into this since the island is so small, if they were to build a huge Rahmadi with bushland, desert and small war torn villages i would be very happy since i really like the way this island looks smile_o.gif .

We also have to consider the type of missions PMC's perform, would be weird to send them into large scale combat facing armored platoons, infantry and such.. what the game is all about.

So far i saw the weirdest looking mercs in Sahrani, cant say this makes me jump on my chair sad_o.gif .

Well, maybe they will put some more details on Rahmadi or making it even larger in the extension pack. Who knows...

Is this another "Red Hammer", made by the publisher, not B.I.?

What's with the dude dismounting from the Blackhawk on the left? Looks like he has a baseball cap underneath a backwards steel pot.

Kind of ironic that I'm going to end up spending my money for new hardware to run Armed Assault, but then I won't have any left to buy the expansion.

However, if 1.08 really is the last patch for Armed Assault, then I'm probably just going to forget it and the upgrades. At the moment Armed Assault is playable, but there are still a handful of bugs and needed tweaks.

If BIS really wants to wow people over with content they need to:

1. Let the community make the content, you make the game engine.

BIS cannot make an accurate portrayal of a soldier model to save their life. Wrong helmet, wrong uniform. Release the blasted tools. People aren't happy with the Armyrines or whatever transporter accident the BLUFOR troops are.

You know what would be cool? If face.jpg included your name tag icon_rolleyes.gif

2. Make mission editing fast and streamlined.

Fantastic missions are not being made because it's a complete pain in the arse. Why is there no html-briefing editor streamlined into the game? Why no file browser, script editor-debugger in game? How come there is no scripting reference library to reference without alt-tabbing?

Give mission makers half a chance and you'll have more missions and campaigns that you can ever play before lunch.

3. Make content sharable to the common player.

Ever use something called OFPwatch? It allowed custom content to be instantly downloaded from any server just prior to playing. If BIS would allow mods to be activated/deactivated while the .exe is running then the experience is nearly seamless. Make an official OFPwatch. Include the best/most-popular user mods in official patches.

Heatseeker, this new addon must be set somewhere in the future, since the desert region is said to only go as far as Alentejo, not all the way to Porto yet... This is scary, really scary... rofl.gif

If this is the "Gold Edition" addon then the "Resistance" addon will be fought in the urban areas of Lisboa perhaps? yay.gif

Seriously now, I don't mind having desert islands at all, especially taking into account how much I hate the grass... I'm looking forward to it! thumbs-up.gif

Haven't read the whole thread, just the first two pages, but all I have to say is:

What the hell are BIS thinking?? Have they been bought out by EA or something? WTF?!   mad_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

ArmA, for me and for 22 thread pages worth of people, is still an unsatisfactory and pretty much unfinished product, even after 3 patches, and here they announce an expansion for their beta product?? What are they thinking?

"Ahhh well, we have a very loyal, adoring and active community. They'll pay for whatever has 'BIS' and 'Armed Assault' written on it. We might even fix the blaring problems ArmA suffers from, we could've probably fixed most of them a while ago, but that's besides the point. Here we'll be fixing the whole lot of bugs ArmA has suffered from since day one, and they'll pay for it, because they love us really smile_o.gif "

I am NOT impressed  mad_o.gif

Edit:

And from what I can see in the screens, all of the 'new' content could've been made by the community for free. Even without BIS poking spanners in the works by not releasing the tools.

Ahhhhh waaaiiit a minute! I think I've figured it out! wow_o.gif

Why release editing tools, when an expansion pack is on the near horizon?? We're not gonna pay for something we could've done ourselves are we icon_rolleyes.gif

As long as it looks like african bush.. yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]2. Make mission editing fast and streamlined.

Fantastic missions are not being made because it's a complete pain in the arse. Why is there no html-briefing editor streamlined into the game? Why no file browser, script editor-debugger in game? How come there is no scripting reference library to reference without alt-tabbing?

Give mission makers half a chance and you'll have more missions and campaigns that you can ever play before lunch.

that also would be a dream come true.

I didn't think we would get an expansion so fast, but it sounds cool. biggrin_o.gif And IMHO ArmA's not a beta product anymore at all, so let this one coming. The desert island sounds great!

Amazing. We have, what, 5-or-so screenshots and a vague press release. Still, the community seems to have some amazing divining skills and seems to know enough about the product to arrive at some far-reaching conclusions. Roman augurs would be proud.

Come on people. We don't know whether 505 or BIS are developing this expansion pack. We have no way of saying whether this will conflict with BIS' ability to improve the product or not. We have absolutely no idea what the end content will look like. We're completely in the dark as to when it will really be released. How this will influence intercontinental compatibility is anyone's guess.

Yet still, people insist on making assertions as if the thing was already on the shelves. How about we all take a step back and wait for things to develop further?

I for one welcome any attempt at adding proper campaigns to ArmA. Sure, the mercs may look cheesy but the whole setting has a Jagged Alliance vibe. That can't be bad, can it?

Let's face it people: we have no way of saying how this will turn out. Decrying or praising the project are equally fruitless endeavours right now. Let's all take a chillpill.

BUZZARD @ June 18 2007,23:56)]Heatseeker, this new addon must be set somewhere in the future, since the desert region is said to only go as far as Alentejo, not all the way to Porto yet... This is scary, really scary... rofl.gif

If this is the "Gold Edition" addon then the "Resistance" addon will be fought in the urban areas of Lisboa perhaps? yay.gif

Good stuff rofl.gif !!

Quote[/b] ]ArmA, for me and for 22 thread pages worth of people, is still an unsatisfactory and pretty much unfinished product, even after 3 patches, and here they announce an expansion for their beta product?? What are they thinking?

Stop that beta nonsense, its old talk and 1.08 is fine. Go thru the logs to understand how much was tweaked, improved, replaced, given and fixed.

The only big problem that remains is vista compatbility, other than that Arma plays just fine.. its not a perfect game but there are no perfect games, OPFR was far from perfect too.

Let's face it people: we have no way of saying how this will turn out. Decrying or praising the project are equally fruitless endeavours right now. Let's all take a chillpill.

No, but pics have been released, content and features listed so if thats not enough to comment on or make assumptions about I don't know what is.

Edit for spelling.

well, if i would be BIS, i would stop to work on ArmA right away, as most ppl left allrdy (whole ctf, dm CTI community and evolution players are gonna be sick of it too soon) learn about the faults and start working hard on Game2.

If ArmA would feel like it looks sometimes, they would not need such $ maker expansion