Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V3.0

@Col.Flanders If you removed all the AI and just had Players V's Players server frames would definitely be much better. But there would be a lot less action. If you can imagine how scattered the engagements would be over 11 towns and 64 players. Maybe if there were less towns involved and they could be retaken It would be better. I don't have plans for it yet but I will look into it. It would be no simple task.

@Shinbusan Evolution is not open source for now so there is no official template. If you have seen one or heard about one Its probably just someone unpacked the mission into a folder which is not hard with the right tools. Eventually In the near future I will release an evolution template when I stop changing mass lumps of code. This way people don't have to keep totally rewriting there versions to comply every time I do.

EV 3 is great and the only problem i'm having is setting the time/hr/respawn when we first get on my dedicated server. I was told on another thread to do #admin password, and login as admin to set this, but am not sure what to do after that. Is there a command line for this? Or do i do that line on the setup screen at the startup and am then able to select it?

Again, nice work on EV 3, can't wait to see what comes next.

Thx.

Tool. smile_o.gif

Its #login <password> Not #admin <password>. when your logged in you can click the options to set them. If its not your server get the players to type #vote admin <yourname> to become a voted admin before the map starts ratio of votes depends on server settings.

I dont know if this has been discussed, by there is a odd bug where the harriers wont respawn when they blow up in Evo 3.0

It just blows up and stays as a wreckage and disappears. You can't fix it. Is this intended?

The planes used to be fixable, but its only when you went and repaired one that you realised how pointless that was, because the plane was usually crashed in a place you couldn't take off from.

I believe now, they respawn back at base after a few hours.

@KillJoy: Zombie already asked, but I see no answer - what is the phone in the ammo crates for? Did you have a plan for this and dropped it or is it some magical device none of us except you know what does? wink_o.gif

EV 3 is great and the only problem i'm having is setting the time/hr/respawn when we first get on my dedicated server. I was told on another thread to do #admin password, and login as admin to set this, but am not sure what to do after that. Is there a command line for this? Or do i do that line on the setup screen at the startup and am then able to select it?

Again, nice work on EV 3, can't wait to see what comes next.

Thx.

Tool.  smile_o.gif

Aha, i think i know what you mean.

When you start dedicated server, you wish to have there some other parameters as default values like "4 hours day" and starting time "21:00" ?

Normaly you can do so by this way:

You can change that on server in server.cfg file by editing values in parameters param1 and param2:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">...

class Missions

{

class 1 // class name can be anythnig

{

template = EvolutionV3.0.Sara;

param1 = 3; // for 4 Hour Day - MH6-R

param2 = 5; // starting time 06:00

Which number represents which "choice" is defined in the mission in file description.ext (no need change, only for your information):

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">...

titleParam1="TimeScale | Respawn | Lives";

valuesParam1[]={0,1,2,3,4};

defvalueParam1=2;

textsParam1[]={"24 Hour Day","4 Hour Day","24 Hour Day - MH6-R","4 Hour Day - MH6-R","24 Hour Day - MH6-R - 500 Lives"};

titleParam2="Time Of Day";

valuesParam2[]={5,8,11,14,17,20,23,2};

defvalueParam2=8;

textsParam2[]={"06:00","09:00","12:00","15:00","18:00","21:00","24:00","03:00"};

That was so in OFP and that must work under Arma too (that say BISTUDIO's WIKI). But THAT NOT WORK RIGHT NOW! (on my server not). Perhaps is somewhere an BUG in arma dedicated server. Everything seems good in description.ext and in server.cfg, but still nothing. Maybe someone can add that to arma bug tracker.

---

@KillJoy i have one request in the new version of evolution: can you fix in description.ext file the values in valuesParam2 to correspond with displayed times in textsParam2 ? Now is that all shifted by -1 withouth reason. I know that they don't work now, but when BISTUDIO fix it, is good to have that ready smile_o.gif

I like Evo but me and my group are starting to have enough of restarting Evo each time. We have very specific way of coop playing (let call it realism way) and we are interesting in doing a list of changes to the overall Evo idea. For private use, if other use is not licensed.

I heard that there is Evo template, but in this huge topic I am unable to find it.

Some features we are planning:

- our fire dispersion script for AI and players

- changing the way limiting the use of vehicles (if you are pilot, you can use only air vehicles, if crew, only land heave vehicles)

- no vehicle respawn

- no vehicle dissapearing

- no mission time limit

- more diversion between missions

- random patrols

- cutting Evo area into two or three parts for different missions

In other words, we plan to make Evo idea more common coop mission for us where it will suit our style of playing more.

Would be great if author of Evo template would create additional topic for it for easy find.

Very good idea, i and my group wish that soo, so when you finish that, let me know pls.

I will start one projcet - special mod/script, which add to arma (evolution of course in the first place):

a) Real deaths = no more instant death, or death from 3xhit to the legs. In real live 99% of soldiers dies on bloodloss and when are criticaly wounded, still have from few seconds to few minutes of live. Instant deaths would be calculated randomly (50:50) only when soldier is shooted to the HEAD. So you can be shooted to the legs maybe 50times, and still live, but with very big bloodloss, so you can have only few seconds before you losse controll and other next few seconds before you come to unconsciousness (red screen silent/no voices/sound) waiting on death or medic to stabilize you, and wake up.

b) Real wounds = no more "damage"  for soldiers. Every hit generate particulary randomly (depends on area of hit) amount of bleeding per second, which calculate together with existing bleeding from existing wounds. So every hit/wounds start bloodloss (bleedings) and from every wound you die, how soon depends on how much you loss blood.

c) Medics, medic can only reduce bloodloss on minimum (stabilize) and fill blood to minimal value to be able control of your soldier (on low blood value your soldier fall down to ground and cant move, you can move only with head and on very low blood value come unconsciousness (black screen).

d) Depending on wounds you lose ability to run, walk/stand, handshake or ability to have weapons in hand.

e) Some more effect we puit there, like sound of hearth, trensparent red screen (pain effect), some pain voice (transhmited over network too like direct voice) and others.

f) Full recovery from injuries/wounds, refiting blood value and  remove handshake/paint screen and others can be possible only near HOSPITALS or MEDICAL TENTS or MEDICAL VEHICLESS.

@Anunnaki the parrams are like that because i use the actual values to set the time of day. For some reason that slips my mind its a bad idea to set the time to 6:00 and a good idea to set it to 5:59. hence 6:00 = 5.

@Annunaki

Nice. But remember ACE mod is coming and more or less will provide similar effects.

And if you are realism players I can easily say ACE will be your choice (same as WGL was ours for OFP)

@ June 24 2007,08:32)]Heatseeker try playing on the ses server skill is set to 0.4 I would say on avarage a sniper would get you in about the 3rd shot so you have time to cover if you hear him. As for the mission every enemy on the map is 0.5 skill 1 is max, 0 is minimum so there avarage but i have found server skill setting over rides this.

I'm wondering what you mean with "server skill". Think the ses should be set...also doesn't help me to find anything out about it.

What's that? Undocumented config entry? Set somewhere deep in the pbo? Server commandline option?

@KilJoy - Do you think it would be a good idea to perhaps change the city markers from gray to red when a city is "in battle"?

That way it would be easier for a new joiner to know right away where the action is, and it might also encourage more concentrated team effort onto that one particular location.

@KilJoy - Do you think it would be a good idea to perhaps change the city markers from gray to red when a city is "in battle"?

That way it would be easier for a new joiner to know right away where the action is, and it might also encourage more concentrated team effort onto that one particular location.

I like this idea also wink_o.gif

@ June 24 2007,08:32)]Heatseeker try playing on the ses server skill is set to 0.4 I would say on avarage a sniper would get you in about the 3rd shot so you have time to cover if you hear him. As for the mission every enemy on the map is 0.5 skill 1 is max, 0 is minimum so there avarage but i have found server skill setting over rides this.

I'm wondering what you mean with "server skill". Think the ses should be set...also doesn't help me to find anything out about it.

What's that? Undocumented config entry? Set somewhere deep in the pbo? Server commandline option?

He's saying that the AI's skill level is set to .4 on the SES Server. The default is something like .6, which is brutal. Also, there are 2 separate settings, one for AI accuracy and one for AI skill, though I don't know how much effect the skill one has.

I also host a small evolution server with lowered AI difficulty...

With all the constant changes that take place it's no wonder this mission is slowly losing it's luster....You are clearly killing the mission with each updated version. My friends and I all agree that only minor changes were needed with version 1.5a. It's too bad that this mission has gone from great to..... well, "OK". On my dedicated server It gets full everytime I run 1.5a. To me, that is the mark of  very good mission.

With all the constant changes that take place it's no wonder this mission is slowly losing it's luster....You are clearly killing the mission with each updated version. My friends and I all agree that only minor changes were needed with version 1.5a. It's too bad that this mission has gone from great to..... well, "OK". On my dedicated server It gets full everytime I run 1.5a. To me, that is the mark of very good mission.

I think exact opposite, slow pace of new releases is slowly killing the interest to the mission. Of course it's always nice to see new features, bug fixes etc.. wink_o.gif

With all the constant changes that take place it's no wonder this mission is slowly losing it's luster....You are clearly killing the mission with each updated version. My friends and I all agree that only minor changes were needed with version 1.5a. It's too bad that this mission has gone from great to..... well, "OK". On my dedicated server It gets full everytime I run 1.5a. To me, that is the mark of very good mission.

agree. 1.5a was the best. with 3.0 all u can really do is takeout citys, wich gets boring very fast. the latest version took away the suprise factor, when u could run into enemy anywhere, and the side missions could lead to unexpected things. Sure theres still the missions, but without knowing ppl it's really hard to get some1 to join with u(I have requested several times, and seen ppl requestin a couple of times)

please bring back the side missions with AI, or make some random enemy patrols/ road blocks etc.

Why not add mobile spawns as well? After a while, you get to the point where there is only 1 helo at the airport every 5-10 minutes or so. Also, starting from the base each time encourages more ppl to do what they want to do.

Adding MSP's would not only shorten the trips to towns, but also would group the players together, encouraging more of a tactical environment.

However, MSPs would have to be placed a minimum of 500m from a town. And a maximum of 1.5km from a town.

This would also greatly help in repairing and recovering destroyed vehicles. Especially if they are out in the middle of nowhere.

After all, OFP's CTI had MSPs, and even WWIIOL has MSPs. (minimum range of 400m, max of 1km)

Maybee its also an idea to make a LARGE battle out of the paraiso battle. Fortify the whole city, and put snipers on rooftops, maybee some barbwire here and there, sandbags, bunkers, mg positions...

Make fewer battles but bigger...?

yeah would be cool with the big cities fortified but thats also alot of work tounge2.gif setposing 'em all on all buildings and balconys and stuff.. biggrin_o.gif

How about setting the capturing to a certain order? I know a lot of ppl are tired of lone wolves going around and doing what they want to do and not helping everyone else. People will take vehicles and go off on their own, taking the smaller towns by themselves.

So why not make it so there is forced team-play and more organization by setting what towns you have to capture?

Say:

Paraiso-Somato-Cayo-Dolores-Ortego-Corazol-Obregan-Bagango-Eponia etc...

How about setting the capturing to a certain order? I know a lot of ppl are tired of lone wolves going around and doing what they want to do and not helping everyone else. People will take vehicles and go off on their own, taking the smaller towns by themselves.

So why not make it so there is forced team-play and more organization by setting what towns you have to capture?

Say:

Paraiso-Somato-Cayo-Dolores-Ortego-Corazol-Obregan-Bagango-Eponia etc...

This has been suggested before, but Kiljoy wants to keep the "freedom to move" aspect on the battlefield. He doesnt want to make the mission to linear.

I'd just like to point out that "Second City Syndrome" isn't due just to new players not knowing where the action is -- some players deliberately assault cities far ahead of the main front.

Perhaps these players just like fighting in one city more than others, but I suspect they're really just trying to farm a city for points without competition. Corazol seems to be a popular target, and I'm assuming that's because it's a fairly short trip from base via road compared to the others.

Sadly, I don't have any feedback on how to stop it. I do ask that you leave shilka spawning as it is, or revert back to the old system of all spawning up front (if it doesn't drag servers down too much). S&D missions on the AA net are always fun, and it does actively help the team as they progress later.

I noticed the game seems to slow down and get a bit "bleh" once Bagango is secured.  Eponia, Masbete and Pita are all quite out of the way and travel by road from the base is not practical.  So you get people standing around waiting for choppers and it's quite boring really.

Perhaps Bagango should be the last city.  Make it a huge battle with quick enemy reinforcements.  Could have enemy paradrops and tanks spawning from the north every so often.  Would be much better to have a huge final battle in bagango rather than the long boring treks to Eponia, Masbete and Pita.

You could make it a fortress too - randomly spawn mines around the city perimeter where eager colonels in their M1A1s might approach from. Have fixed position M2 machine guns and so on. Maybe even use an artillery script and use that to bombard player positions (or just randomly around the perimeter again).