Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V3.0

Are there any plans for future evolution versions to include an external load script for helicopters? It would work great to get crashed vehicles up in the the northern island by slingloading repair and refuel trucks under a UH-60 to the wreckage area because as we all know AI drivers wont cross the bridge at Corazol, and making two trips with a refuel and repair truck to Masbete could be an hour of driving.

Another option is to use the trucks from corazal docks with a mim of tw it's a peace of a cake. And isn't there somewhere a frap with trucks in the N - Iland.

Hint during a session have a support unit just outside the village

Is it encrypted somehow or did I just screw it up?

Encrypted.

Is there any way to get a version to edit?

@ June 21 2007,04:01)]Telemachos good points but what do you have against grenades? someone else mentioned grenades to.Its is part of the basic rifle mans compliment so i suppose that's when their there. They way i chose ammo is normally grab AT/Stinger/Jav then change gun if I like. Then if i have not taking a 203 take a pistol In 3 clicks I usually have every thing I need unless I want laser.

But i suppose if the pistol was default it would be a minimum of 2 clicks and max of 3 if you take 203. (third to get rid of pistol before taking 203 so you auto get HE grens).

The default weapons were worked out before the pistol was a private weapon , used to be Sergeant so ill put it in.

I don't use 203 much so i didn't notice but i seemed to run out of m107 ammo a lot before colonel box supplies became infinite.

For this reason i will make players ammo boxes refill every time they spawn no matter what the rank. As it is now every time you gain rank your boxes are refilled. And every time you spawn when colonel.

There used to be a second su-34 might re-add it as i solved a problem where i could not delete the pilots when they died.

"a burden when we get far away from the Paraiso Airport.  Would it be possible for the overall mission leader (the Platoon Leader)  to have the ability to build a "Headquarters" where squad transfers could take place?"

I was thinking of adding it to radio channel alpha as it is free.

Id like to know if any servers run with mh-6 respawn off?

Also is anyone using 4 hour day mode?

No sense in having params no one is using.

People in small groups need not worry about having ai in the zone in the next version because when you leave a city a record is made of remaining troops and when you return it will only spawn from record. An option might be to restock the city under certain conditions or a time limit for those who like a more persistent game. But for now you could actually pick away at it as a single player. and eventually concur a town.

One of my priorities for now is stopping friendly ai shooting prisoners for those who have experienced jaccobs ladder in evolution you know what I mean.

Depends on the situation and supply really, real world- not all soldiers get grenades, pistols, etc. Granted it's a video game and all, but it was one thing noticed. Near the beginning, if heading to do a mission- I will drop the 2 grenades, grab the At-4 which auto-populates the 4 M136 rounds, and a M9. Later on in the game though, I end up messing around with it more since want to take less M136 or none. I rarely don't see too many people use the hand-grenades though.

We did have a bug where up north in Bangango, we had a continous chain spawn of armored vehicles. I am not exactly sure why or what was keeping the trigger running- but we weren't able to recreate it. Happened once and caulk it up to a glitch- but just passing it along.

I really think you should cut out the second Cobra and maybe get rid of some of the extra M1 Ahbrams also. I would rather see an extra UH-60 MG or 2 than an extra Cobra. The Cobra and the M1 just overpower the OPFOR. I think the second SU might help with that, but I think it would have to be pretty aggressive, maybe seek and destroy if it doesn't already. Even in Veteran mode- the AA is too easy since can easily see it on the map. I really think you should remove being able to see the AA blanket on the map.

Just some more ideas:

One thing I would also like to see is Especas squad randomly attacking the main base. Opfor controls the island but has allowed a complete airstrip and base to sit without being touched??

Adding a couple BlueFOR artillery cannons along side of the airstrip, something outside of the edge of the first city so someone has to be in the city.

I don't see too many servers with the MHC Respawns off to answer your question. I don't run the 4-hour too often just for the fact that there isn't the death count on it, but I do see people running it once in a while though.

How about instead of capturing enemies, how about making them Independent POW's. (Mission wise could just set them friendly to both sides and neither side should shoot them). Or could make them Bluefor POW's and duke it in the mission file so that the Opfor see's them as friendly (I forgot the command for it- but I know Flashpoint had it and think it works on ArmA.) I think that will prevent people just killing them also. Maybe even make a pen where the POW is and an enemy squad near it.

[We killed 500+ units on our server and paraiso is still not clear (and yes we destroyed the correct antenna).

Yes, I know we should leave some AI there, but cause we keep getting shot the stupid AI wants to regroup with us, leaving the area no matter what orders I give it.

This has nothing to do with our skills for the smart people here.

Not to be too much of a smartass, but if you have 500 kills in Paraiso alone, and you have more than 2 people on the server, it has EVERYTHING to do with "your smarts" and "your skills".

Seriously, how hard is it to put an AI in a jeep on that little road parallel to the airport about 100 yards down?

Seriously, that's in the gray circle, and the guy in the jeep won't EVER move now matter how much you die if he's passenger.

So again, how much thought have you put into your problem before getting yourself this frustrated and writing this post?

The way some of you play this game, you're gonna get Kiljoy to dumb the damn thing back down again and it's going to suck for larger groups just like it did pre-3.0.

That's the real tragedy here.

Almost every city has a fortess in it, give a move order to the AI in there and set him to stealth or lay low. He will not move even if you die since his last order was to move there and not to return to formation.

Plus employ cover and stealth. Rushing into a town like you are Rambo with 100+ enemies in it will get you shot.

The only mission that isn't playable that I have seen is the defense missions and that is because it fails before even able to leave the base.

Not to be too much of a smartass, but if you have 500 kills in Paraiso alone, and you have more than 2 people on the server, it has EVERYTHING to do with "your smarts" and "your skills".

Seriously, how hard is it to put an AI in a jeep on that little road parallel to the airport about 100 yards down?

Seriously, that's in the gray circle, and the guy in the jeep won't EVER move now matter how much you die if he's passenger.

So again, how much thought have you put into your problem before getting yourself this frustrated and writing this post?

The way some of you play this game, you're gonna get Kiljoy to dumb the damn thing back down again and it's going to suck for larger groups just like it did pre-3.0.

That's the real tragedy here.

Wow, you really outsmart me. xmas_o.gif

Next time specially for you I will exactly write down everything we tried to get this to work, only do me a favour and dont read any of my posts anymore.

Your reply is offensive to me and anyone who is/was present on our server spending hours to get this worked out..........

Also keep your caps to yourself and your mom.

We never played together, so dont tell me what we are doing wrong if you never been there.

Anyway, difficulty level adjusted on our server.

Great map! Any chance of adding one of these??

Would be a great help for vehicle recoveries or lifts into battle! Maybe even a supply drop too? whistle.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Your reply is offensive to me and anyone who is/was present on our server spending hours to get this worked out..........

Also keep your caps to yourself and your mom.

We never played together, so dont tell me what we are doing wrong if you never been there.

Anyway, difficulty level adjusted on our server.

You're on a thread about a mission, and you've been told how to fix or handle your issue, and you either can't or refuse to.

Either way, it's "your" issue, not a problem with this map nor one that belongs in this thread.

You can't post in this thread complaining about something everyone else knows how to do, and not be corrected on it. And in fact, if you read since your post, I'm not the ONLY one that's told you how to correct your problem that you've convinced yourself isn't you.

It's obvious by your post(s) that your inability on how to manage your AI, as admitted by yourself, shows a lack of experience in the game, and of trying different methods.

You have been given advice on how to resolve your problem - try it. What you experience isn't a bug or mission-issue.

Love the mission, thanks for making it killjoy! I agree chinhooks would be awsome, think of the transport points I could rack up smile_o.gif

would anybody know why I'm unable to arm myself with anything but a handgun and an M136 launcher. i can see the M16s but i cant take them. likewise, i cant take rifles from dead enemy soldiers. am i missing something?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it the drivers seat that activates the 'service' from a Farp?

Ranked servers mean that an Engineers ability to repair vehicles is very limited to the rank he has. If he cannot get in the drivers seat, he alone cannot repair the vehicle.

I suggest that an Engineer should be able to get in the drivers seat of any vehicle. That way, one could "clean up" the battlefield, and have AI drive or fly the vehicles back to base or a more appropriate location.

Engineers should be a support role, not Assault role, so dont go saying that" oh then everyone would be Engineer so they can fly this or drive that " That is determined by the server admins and the type of player on the server.

Please make the game as it should be played, and not cater to the asshats.

ty

-Ziggy- @ June 26 2007,04:25)]Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it the drivers seat that activates the 'service' from a Farp?

Please make the game as it should be played, and not cater to the asshats.

As you asked, "you're wrong" (and thus the rest of your post is moot).

Anyone can "service" a vehicle, at any rank, by simply jumping into the gunner (and sometimes other) seats.

As for your opinion that engineers should never be able to shoot at the enemy, drive vehicles into combat and such - in my OPINION, I think that's a really bad idea.

@KilJoy

My private dedicated Evolution 3.0 seems to keep respawning Shilka's in cleared towns... at their exact same point where they where when the town was hostile.

Also after clearing 5 towns I have yet to capture a POW. they just don't seem to give up, and all resist to the end?

first of all I never said anything about Engineers never shooting at anyone, so you can kindly stop putting words into my mouth.

As for repairing vehicles in a gunner or other seat, I find a different situation than you. When I get in any other seat other than driver I fail to repair.

v3.0

If all you can do is rudely comment, you can stop responding to me forever.

-Ziggy- @ June 26 2007,05:49)]first of all I never said  anything  about Engineers never shooting at anyone, so you can kindly stop putting words into my mouth.

In order to allow an engineer to drive anything, and play a "support" role, you would HAVE to require they can't shoot.

You'd have to do that to keep them from using a gunner position in a vehicle they otherwise could take advantage of.

Afterall, if they can't "drive anything, regardless of rank", and the game allows ANYONE to get in as gunner in any vehicle, regardless of rank - what's to stop the engineer from "driving home a M1A1 and just happen to stop by a city on his way and jump into the gunner position and take some stuff out"?

Also, you'd have to stop them from being able to drive a vehicle with another person in as gunner - since ANYONE of ANY rank can get in ANYTHING as "gunner" (as stated above).

IE, think about what your suggesting, and how/what the game would have to be modified to accomodate it.

As far as "rudeness", I didn't say anything rude. You said "correct me if I'm wrong" and you were, in fact, wrong. Everything you said after that, was based on you being wrong and not knowing how repairing worked.

Also, I believe your first post was pretty heavily laced with a "holier than thou" attiude with a reference to everyone else as "asshats". So "pot-kettle-black" sir.

whistle.gif

/end Satexas69 conversation.

I have had trouble repairing vehicles from seats other than driver, and I have witnessed broken glass being repaired and broken again over and over when I'm not in the drivers seat. The problem exists, be it with just me or others, but I cannot easily reproduce the senario without considerable time playing Evo. I will post here again when I have 'evidence'.

*worth noting*

I am a server admin, and I spend a considerable time repairing vehicles and basically cleaning up messes left when the server is not occupied by USI members. When I say that I have had difficulty repairing, I am saying it with HOURS of experience, not minutes.

I too have noticed a lack of POW's when clearing towns.

I cleared paraiso, somato and cayo on my own on my own server earlier and didnt encounter 1 POW after clearing towns, and not for lack of trying.

I searched paraiso for 30 minutes in a BH after it was cleared looking for POW's but nothing.

looked for 15 minutes in both somato and cayo and again, nothing.

Just gave up in the end and carried on playing

It's who has command of the vehicle. A lot of times if you just joined a server as an engineer and go to repair a vehicle someone else has destroyed, hoping in the gunner seat does not activate the FARP repair.

What you can do though is, hop in the driver seat- you get ejected and then hop into the gunner which will kick on the repair.

I think the reason why it doesn't do it is because you don't have command of the vehicle unless hop into the driver seat which sounds like a game mechanics problem since you have to assume 'commander' position of the vehicle.

It's who has command of the vehicle. A lot of times if you just joined a server as an engineer and go to repair a vehicle someone else has destroyed, hoping in the gunner seat does not activate the FARP repair.

What you can do though is, hop in the driver seat- you get ejected and then hop into the gunner which will kick on the repair.

I think the reason why it doesn't do it is because you don't have command of the vehicle unless hop into the driver seat which sounds like a game mechanics problem since you have to assume 'commander' position of the vehicle.

thank you! yay.gif

It seems like the only way to get POWs is to execute all the squad officers first. Not sure exactly but it seems for a town to be considered captured you must neutralize all the vehicles and the officers within the town, the rest of the soldiers will then drop their arms and can be captured.

Haven't had a chance to test this theory yet. But it seems my buddy and I always seem to capture a town after killing the last squad leader, never seem to be a regular GI. Obviously vehicles are wiped out because they are the easiest targets once you find the right cover. After that its a matter of sweeping the town for survivors.

One thing I had happen a day or two ago was my squad inadvertently shot the Captain and robbed me of my ability to gain some extra points. Oh well, he had it coming to him. smile_o.gif

So yeah, next time I'm in game, going on an officer only spree. GoGo M24 FTW!

It seems like the only way to get POWs is to execute all the squad officers first. Not sure exactly but it seems for a town to be considered captured you must neutralize all the vehicles and the officers within the town, the rest of the soldiers will then drop their arms and can be captured.

Haven't had a chance to test this theory yet. But it seems my buddy and I always seem to capture a town after killing the last squad leader, never seem to be a regular GI. Obviously vehicles are wiped out because they are the easiest targets once you find the right cover. After that its a matter of sweeping the town for survivors.

One thing I had happen a day or two ago was my squad inadvertently shot the Captain and robbed me of my ability to gain some extra points. Oh well, he had it coming to him. smile_o.gif

So yeah, next time I'm in game, going on an officer only spree. GoGo M24 FTW!

@Kiljoy.

Could you confirm what Amannim just said concerning the officers ?

Thanks.

So far as i remember you can any capture an officer from the start in 3.0 but there may be a bug with it, dont forget to right click on him when close. in erlyer versions you had to kill all units in his squad but they tended to roam. pows are remaining unkilled units after a city is cleared usualy about 4.

What is the "phone" good for that is in the ammocrates? We haven't been able to determine what it is good for/or how to use it either

FYI,

We run the 4-hr MH6-R mode on our server exclusively. If you're in a good playing session, it allows you to play through a full day night cycle, or at least a majority of one, in one sitting.

-Ziggy- @ June 26 2007,06:21)]I am a server admin, and I spend a considerable time repairing vehicles and  basically cleaning up messes left when the server is not occupied by USI members. When I say that I have had difficulty repairing, I am saying it with HOURS of experience, not minutes.

After our "back and forth of messages", I am pleased that you have learned how to repair the vehicles and how it works.

There have been a lot of interesting ideas thrown about. I really like some of Frederf's earlier suggestions. I've got a couple things I'd like to inquire about, as well as a few ideas of my own.

1) Revives. It seems like a topic of much controversy, but I think it'd work better than the "multiple respawns" option. More than 2 respawns would fragment friendly forces way too much, but getting killed at Masbete often means standing around in base for a loooong time waiting for transport.

On the other hand, "painless" revives like in BF2 obviously are not the way to go. Frederf had a good idea with a revival requiring a trip back to the MASH or base to get patched up, but why not take it a step further? If you're incapacitated in battle, a medic can come to you and revive you. The process would take 2x as long as the standard "heal" animation, and you would respawn at the nearest MASH or aid station. The number of MASHes is limited by the medic slots on the server, so this doesn't seem outrageous.

When you spawn, you'd have the default loadout. That's tough luck, but hey...you can't expect a busy medic to grab everything for you and tote it back too. Other options involve requring the newly-revived casualty to stay at the MASH for a minute for further healing. More such penalties can be applied as required for balance.

2) Another idea: Aid stations. In cities, fighting on and in buildings happens a lot. Neither FARPs nor MASHes seem to spawn terribly well in these places. I don't mind FARPs not working, as they should be in open areas anyway. However, it'd be nice to be able to put up an aid station with the same functionality as a MASH inside of a building. Of course, it'd be a "one or the other" deal. No medic could have both.

I suspect the original problem is an engine limitation just by watching FARP/MASH spawns. If so, then obviously this idea is worthless. Can anyone confirm?

3) Supplies. One thing I've noticed is that FARP supply boxes seem kinda weak. It'd be nice to have substantial quantities of smoke in there, even if adding full compliments of ammo isn't an option (seems so, based on an earlier post). Smoke at a FARP is kinda obvious, since FARPs tend to double as LZ's for incoming troops. Also, either the FARP box or the repair truck carries no ammo for the M240. I can't recall which it is offhand, but I've run into it quite a bit. Seems like a minor oversight.

4) FARP/MASH despawning/destruction. When a player leaves, his FARP/MASH should go as well. MASH trash is annoying on the map, and it also gets old in prolonged fights with high turnover, where a city has a half dozen MASHes scattered about.

5) Gear & ranks. I can see the logic behind requiring high scores for using advanced vehicles, but the same restrictions for most of the firearms seems kinda silly. Kiljoy, might I ask why you opted to do things the way you have in regards to this? Some weapons make sense -- obviously, we don't want everyone running around with a Javelin at Lt. Why such high requirements for other things like the M4 Aimpoint or the M4 QDS, though?

6) Vehicle despawn at base. I like the new despawn/respawn at base for idle vehicles, but it seems a tad aggressive. I've had MH-6's despawn on myself and my squadmates while they were trying to get supplies loaded on board to bring to the front. Sometimes AI isn't available to sit and idle, so tweaking the timer for this may not be a bad idea.

Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone involved in the making of Evolution, especially Kiljoy (for obvious reasons). It'd a damned fine mission and is quite impressive. I like a lot of the changes with 3.0, especially the addition of the D-30 to towns. Capturing it is one of my new favorite activities when it spawns in an area with a wide view. Very nice work!