Sign in to follow this  
KilJoy -SFG-

Evolution V3.0

(I say this message politely, with a hint of sarcasm)

I assume you haven't learned to put your men in teams? Blue team, red team, white team, etc?

You can hold down the spacebar, and issues orders in a single keystroke. You just need to learn HOW.

Don't make Evolution harder than it needs to be. Not putting an AI in the zone, not knowing how to issue commands in a single keystroke is a "you and arma" issue, not a "evolution" issue.

I honestly believe your a good player that just hasn't tried or learned/used this stuff to make your life easier, and less frustrating. I believe if you tried the stuff we've debated in this thread, you wouldn't be nearly 1/2 as frustrated as you are now, nor would we be having this conversation.

I wish you only the best.

Thanks.

I honestly didn't think of that. That was unbelievably easy. But what happens when your team leaves a server, and just spent an hour clearing half of Delores.

Killjoy also needs to work on a paremeter spawn script for the Officer, You can visual set off, and watch the units spawn, and unspawn, then respawn, then unspawn. And if you do fly over a town after leaving it, you can actually visually see them spawn. The trigger needs to cover more range, to avoid the visual spawning. You have to agree with that.

hi Killjoy,

Today playing on the SES server i was a driver of a stryker with a human player as gunner they killed a human player but i instead got a message saying i friendly fired and not the gunner. do you know anything about this?

blue25:

Thats a game issue, not a kiljoy mission issue. Whoever gets first in a vehicle "becomes" the vehicle. So, even if it was the other guy shooting it still said it was you because you went in the vehicle first (as driver).

Hi KilJoy,

I'd like to congratulate you on an impressive mission, as well as thank you for all your work.  We've been playing v3.0 quite a bit at TacticalGamer.com; in fact, one of our servers is dedicated to Evolution 24/7.  We've been enjoying games with 20+ people, and with those numbers we've really been able to take advantage of the gameplay that Evolution enables.  

During our evening sessions we've been playing the mission as a structured coop, rather than a loose pick-up game.  We've been running two or three squads, along with a dedicated air element and a command element.  The air element provides transport, while the command element contains the overall mission leader (what we're calling a Platoon Leader) and handles logistics (resupply and repair) and strategy.  This has been working well, but we've run into some complications:

- We use separate subchannels in TeamSpeak for our various squads and support elements, and we try to match these to our in-game squads.  We really like the ability to manage squads in-game via the Transfer building, but it becomes a burden when we get far away from the Paraiso Airport.  Would it be possible for the overall mission leader (the Platoon Leader)  to have the ability to build a "Headquarters" where squad transfers could take place?

I honestly didn't think of that. That was unbelievably easy. But what happens when your team leaves a server, and just spent an hour clearing half of Delores.

Killjoy also needs to work on a paremeter spawn script for the Officer, You can visual set off, and watch the units spawn, and unspawn, then respawn, then unspawn. And if you do fly over a town after leaving it, you can actually visually see them spawn. The trigger needs to cover more range, to avoid the visual spawning. You have to agree with that.

On the first part - if everyone leaves the server, you should EXPECT the town to re-support itself. If there's still a human or two left - he should have an AI "in the zone" still, and it shouldn't matter.

Again, all this "spawn-respawn" stuff you speak of, is because you aren't leaving an AI or another human "in the zone".

As for spawn speed, I haven't had a problem with it, but it "may" be a bigger problem than I realize.. but I suspect your "problem" with go away once you start using the practice of "AI guy always in the zone" when you're playing that mission with just a few of your buddies.

To whit - there can't be any "spawning/respawning" if there's always someone in the zone, eh? smile_o.gif

As for the "spawn distance so you can't see it" thing - I know that Kiljoy has been adjusting that because of the mass towns doing it at once as people fly/walk nearby... on a small (few players) server like yours, you'd like bigger activation/detection zones so they do it when you're farther away - but on large servers with lots of people more spread out - it would cause far more lag due to the constant spawning that would happen in other cities nearby that people were close to, but not really attacking. Make sense?

It's a hard balance for Kiljoy

@Kiljoy

Love this Version of Evolution... Evolution 3.0 is working flawlessly on our server. The few issues I have with it are BIS Bugs. Ever Since v1.08 the Ai can't navigate properly once you give them an off road way point... rofl.gif

About the Revive Script... In this type of Mission, I think it would NOOBify it. Hell why don't we just call it Evolution vBF2.

About the Mobile Spawn... Please read above statement... rofl.gif

About the City Respawns... If my Freind and I can clear half the map in a few hour with some Ai... It's not a Mission Problem... It's a No Skill Problem... rofl.gif

Once again Kiljoy... Excellent Work on the ever Evolving Mission. Can't wait to see what you'll come up with next. wink_o.gif

I love this mission. Allthough I never have the time to play long enough to get high points. Ive never flown the cobra, while Ive been playing for 7 hours straight on end one time...

Then again I killed 50 to 60 enemy infantry and like 5 vehicles in 15 minutes of playing... Just started and I came across a group of soldiers. Shot them, got higher rank, got a m2 humvee and shot everybody to f.

So I think maybee the point system should be lowered a bit. Well that either you get more points or you could lower the points needed to fly, drive, shoot the cool stuff...

Not too much though but Evolution is running on many servers, I like the whole idea behind it, but I would like to fly, drive, shoot elite stuff a bit faster then having to play for hours on end... I dont like leaving my pc on when im going somewhere, but Ive done this one time only to keep my score so I could go further later on...

thumbs-up.gif Good work non the less!

I like taking Paraiso and Ortego the best!

I love this mission. Allthough I never have the time to play long enough to get high points. Ive never flown the cobra, while Ive been playing for 7 hours straight on end one time...

Then again I killed 50 to 60 enemy infantry and like 5 vehicles in 15 minutes of playing... Just started and I came across a group of soldiers. Shot them, got higher rank, got a m2 humvee and shot everybody to f.

So I think maybee the point system should be lowered a bit. Well that either you get more points or you could lower the points needed to fly, drive, shoot the cool stuff...

Not too much though but Evolution is running on many servers, I like the whole idea behind it, but I would like to fly, drive, shoot elite stuff a bit faster then having to play for hours on end... I dont like leaving my pc on when im going somewhere, but Ive done this one time only to keep my score so I could go further later on...

"I would like to fly, drive, shoot elite stuff "

Yes, Something tells me your not alone.

"I dont like leaving my pc on when im going somewhere, but Ive done this one time only to keep my score so I could go further later on..."

You don't need to do this. You can shut down you computer, go to the bar, get drunk, come back (via taxi i hope) turn on your computer start Arma join the server you were playing on, and low and behold if the map is still running you will get your rank back.

As for how fast you rank up, Its really down to the skills of the player. Some can hit 200 within an hour under the right conditions. I'm not calling you a bad player but Its already a bit to fast for some pro evo players who have discovered the best strategy's..

In fact, you can earn points quite quickly by really playing in cooperation with others (transporting, helping and destroying objectives give points).

An idea : if Kiljoy decides to let people access to great (and dangerous...) vehicules ealier, I suggest that he also put enemy vehicules that have primary objectives to seek and destroy aircrafts/chopper of BLUEFOR.

To compensate the gain of firepower.

I really like the way the mission is currently designed.

Making it easier would just make it less interesting.

Remember : you're playing ArmA. Not BF2, or Enemy territory or Duke Nukem.

It takes half an hour -> hourS to get your ranks, but how long does it REALLY takes in real...

Just consider you're lucky

biggrin_o.gif

Would it be possible for the overall mission leader (the Platoon Leader) to have the ability to build a "Headquarters" where squad transfers could take place?

You can transfer to different squads in vehicles that other squads are in.

Get in a vehicle with a different squad leader, choose "my squad" from the menu then choose "my vehicle" from the squad page.

Great mission btw Killjoy, a group of us in NZ have been playing the various versions for the last few months and enjoying it more and more with each new release.

I will try bumping it up to veteran mode- I thought it was the default setting but will give it a shot. I would like to see maybe 1 or 2 more KA-50 or SU-34 in the air on the OPFOR side.

Also, I think there should be more M203 HE rounds in the ammo boxes. That is the first thing that runs out quick. 8 rounds per each time take the GL.

Plus, I would like to see the starting weapons/ammo be more in lines of what is the soldier's class with a full load. 1 M16A4 with full ammo, 1 M9, NVG and Bino. Take the grenades out.

Telemachos good points but what do you have against grenades? someone else mentioned grenades to.Its is part of the basic rifle mans compliment so i suppose that's when their there. They way i chose ammo is normally grab AT/Stinger/Jav then change gun if I like. Then if i have not taking a 203 take a pistol In 3 clicks I usually have every thing I need unless I want laser.

But i suppose if the pistol was default it would be a minimum of 2 clicks and max of 3 if you take 203. (third to get rid of pistol before taking 203 so you auto get HE grens).

The default weapons were worked out before the pistol was a private weapon , used to be Sergeant so ill put it in.

I don't use 203 much so i didn't notice but i seemed to run out of m107 ammo a lot before colonel box supplies became infinite.

For this reason i will make players ammo boxes refill every time they spawn no matter what the rank. As it is now every time you gain rank your boxes are refilled. And every time you spawn when colonel.

There used to be a second su-34 might re-add it as i solved a problem where i could not delete the pilots when they died.

"a burden when we get far away from the Paraiso Airport. Would it be possible for the overall mission leader (the Platoon Leader) to have the ability to build a "Headquarters" where squad transfers could take place?"

I was thinking of adding it to radio channel alpha as it is free.

Id like to know if any servers run with mh-6 respawn off?

Also is anyone using 4 hour day mode?

No sense in having params no one is using.

People in small groups need not worry about having ai in the zone in the next version because when you leave a city a record is made of remaining troops and when you return it will only spawn from record. An option might be to restock the city under certain conditions or a time limit for those who like a more persistent game. But for now you could actually pick away at it as a single player. and eventually concur a town.

One of my priorities for now is stopping friendly ai shooting prisoners for those who have experienced jaccobs ladder in evolution you know what I mean.

Would it be possible for the overall mission leader (the Platoon Leader) to have the ability to build a "Headquarters" where squad transfers could take place?

You can transfer to different squads in vehicles that other squads are in.

Get in a vehicle with a different squad leader, choose "my squad" from the menu then choose "my vehicle" from the squad page.

That helps, but what if no vehicles are available at a given time? We're back to the Transfer building.

@Kiljoy, a radio channel would be great!

running 4hr/ no mh6 respawn server here smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Id like to know if any servers run with mh-6 respawn off?

Dunno if this was mentioned yet or not, but I noticed that if the timer runs out on a selected mission, you get credit & the points for completing it, even though you obviously didn't.

Also, if a human gets into an abandoned enemy vehicle, AI squadmates still see it as enemy and will not board it. However, if you destroy it after it was used by a human, you lose points as if it were a friendly vehicle.

@ June 21 2007,04:01)]People in small groups need not worry about having ai in the zone in the next version because when you leave a city a record is made of remaining troops and when you return it will only spawn from record. An option might be to restock the city under certain conditions or a time limit for those who like a more persistent game. But for now you could actually pick away at it as a single player. and eventually concur a town.

Excellent Killjoy. I'm sure the other small co-op based squads will appreciate this!

running 4hr/ no mh6 respawn server here smile_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]Id like to know if any servers run with mh-6 respawn off?

I use 4hr also, and the MH-6 respawn due to noobie players jumping on server and crashing everything.

I was actually hoping that you could add a 4hrDay/MH-6respawn/500Lives option.

Currently, you can only pick the 500 lives option with the 24 hour days.

Just a thought or two:

The lack of role restrictions is the least realistic (and immersive) aspect of the whole Evolution mission to me, and makes it feel like BF2 in some ways.

Real snipers don't hop into helis and fly themselves to their special snipey spots. And real pilots don't run off and jump into tanks. Saying that all sargeants can fly helicopters...or any Colonel can drive a tank and fly a jet AND fly an attack helicopter AND has access to any weapon ever made...is just too gimmicky for the ArmA experience.

The specializations in the military are a fundamental to the execution of modern warfare, and are how each soldier defines their combat role. You can even hear the pride when they talk about their specific role - it's important to their identity as a soldier.

In real life in the Canadian Armed Forces, everyone goes through basic training. Handing standard weapons, physical training, learning basic squad maneouvers etc. This is called QL2 (qualification Level).

Following QL2 is training in your chosen field or profession. Artillery, Infantry, Air Forces (RCAF), Armoured transport etc. This is called QL3.

Completion of QL3 commences your full time service. During your full time service though, you can still sign up for training courses in other (somewhat related) areas. Such as driving transports, or speccing out on non-standard equipment. I believe the various US forces are similarly setup.

For the sake of realism, I would love to see an elective progression of "skills" or "courses" or what-have-you that enables a player to progressively use specific equipment that is appropriate to their chosen career, like in real life.

I believe this would be a merit of this mission if implemented.

For example, all players starting as Private are basic infantry. Once a certain level of experience is gained, they are promoted to Private FIrst Class (PFC...or Sergeant, doesn't matter) where they get to chose a profession. The profession choice unlocks A SINGLE vehicle or weapon class like the MH-6 for pilots, or all HMMVW's for Armoured corps, or Grenadier-class weapons for infantry-Grenadier, M240 for Auto rifleman etc. Progressing to the next level allows the player to chose the next level of their profession, or chose another professions basic level...

I think a system in Evolution for career specializations will add a whole depth of realism and sense-of-purpose to our beloved ArmA Coop that is not available in any other game on this scale.

Thanks for ur consideration. -J.

@ PilusPrimus_aka_jONATHAN:

Best suggestion i read so far. If its doable its another story. Im sure kiljoy tought of something very similar before but he faced a problem. The way arma engine it is now you cannot transfer identities to another role, i.e, you cant set regular footman into a pilot custom, or sniper or whatever, without losing his identity. So PilusPrimus_aka_jONATHAN would be known as john doe if he was transfered into pilot role. That little thing changes it all for many, doesnt it?

It was supposed to be a playable feature in the game, but it wont work as expected to. Its a shame really.

@PilusPrimus_aka_jONATHAN I wont blame you for not reading the previous thread but, In brief the problem is there is no simple way to change a players model in game. Originally i wanted to start all as riflemen and after certin ranks new career paths would open up allowing you to only snipe if your a sniper fly if your a pilot drive if your a crew man ect. But as you can not change a players model I think its better the way it is because i don't want to force players to be pilots or sniper ect which is the only alternative when there is only one slot available to them. If BIS provide the commands for changing player models in a marker respawn coop type game i would certinly consider it further. My only problem with it is that crewmen will always own infantry on scores. and pilots will own crewmen Leading to a serious imbalance in how fast each class progresses.

In short you will once again end up with 30 cobras.

Hey KilJoy

Any chances to give us some information about new relase?

@KilJoy

Couldn't you give the Sniper Position a Default Sniper Rifle that they always spawn with. This would make most of the guys wanting that position Happy from the look of this Thread. That would be a simple fix. Let them start with the Most Basic Sniper Rifle and eventually when they earn there ranks like the rest of us they will unlock the rest of the weapons.

By the way this is not a request of mine as I don't even bother using the Sniper Position but this might make most of the Resident Snipers here happy. Seems like a reasonable request.

Still completely against Revive and Mobile Spawn. Too NOOBish ala BF2.

Oh yeah... almost forgot... we play 4 hour Days. Way better than the 1 hour days.

@killjoy

Could you perhaps look at the sniper role in Evolution? , because I can't really see any reason at all for picking him.

He does not have any bonus toward anything, He only gets a sniper rifle if he is ranked, like all the rest.

I mean, medics get point and abilities as do engineers... And I believe you were also looking at pilots and piloting.

Normal soldiers can carry a lot more.

Do you have anything special in mind for the sniper?

bump

@Kiljoy - w0o0o0o0o0o00t! Bravo man on v3.0. Buddy and I spent about 3hrs tonight (and 22 lives?) trying to take the first town. Radio communications have been severed and the enemy forces severely dented.

Love the progression so far. Keep up the good work!

@ June 21 2007,07:18)]

@Kiljoy :

Yesterday night, I noticed a bug (dunno whether it's a game or a mission one).

You can't get in a vehicule if you put prisoners in it first.

You have to get in and then ask them to embark.

Besides, they don't seem to follow me when I asked them "return to formation". But they follow direction orders like : go to Fd34.

Here you are.

smile_o.gif

Hello (first sorry for my poor english).

Can you make INJURIES adn BLEEDING to your MISSIONS ? But special one like this:

1) Every hit/shoot/crash make injuries and cause BLEADING (that means except headshot, you never die instantly.

2) More damage/injuries cause more (speedest) BLEEDING.

3) Bleeding speed is constant, until you are not shooted/damaged again.

4) Bleedings means that your life decrease at constant speed of BLEEDING to 0 = you are dead

5) BLEEDING can be in game made by pain screaming sound of soldier and screen can go little to red collor (like you have pain) or shake with the screen sometimes, or soldier can fall down to ground and cant move for 1-3second (no energy/rest/swoon) for while.

6) When life of soldier is close to zero or very low, soldier go down and cant move (or only can move with head) and have red transparrent screen every second with shaking screen (loosing mind/swoon)...and at ZERO life he dies

7) medic do STOP BLEEDING instantly (stop decreasing of life) and heal injuries only to maximum 1/4 of maximum life, and rest (to 100% life) can be healted only near MEDICAL TENT or HOSPITAL.

8) maximum bleeding speed can be 1/3 of life per second (there is 3 second for stop bleeding by medic, to cheat death)

There is maybe need to remake DAMAGE model, where only head shoots cause isntant death, other hits/damage cause some area/random high bleeding (bleeding=constatn speed of decreasing life). When is life near zero , player loose control and soldier fall down to ground and cant move, until dies or until medic heal him (stop bleeding) and increase little his life to 25% of maximum life, that can be enought to soldier, which can go by own foot to the hospital to "complete heal to full life".

Speed of bleeding can be make in the game like, everytime when life is decreased by 0,05 points, player hears scream and see red partically transparrent red colllor for short time (represents pain).

9) There is no more need to add "respawn" by leader or base vehicle. Please, dont give there option to spawn in other place like base. That can make from the game crap.

10) Only one "respawn" option which is good and can help make game better, is to allow to resspawn to your AI soldiers in your squad, when "leader" accept that by the option like is used by accepting recruiting new squad member by the squadleader.

PS: thank you for the best mission for Armed Assault, which return my Armed Assault game from trash back to my PC.