Sign in to follow this  
Teliko

Spyware from here??

Ok, I seem to have got a bit of spyware - a window keeps opening, saying it can't be displayed, but along the top it seems to be a search engine looking for flashpoint1985.com and involves searching a user named ron? Gathering from what I can see in the URL.

Anyone know anything about this? confused_o.gif

Just get Zone Alarm that will block 99.9% of all BIS spyware.

My friend who's PC I was helping to clean out had over 89,000 infected files and she was using Zone Alarm..it's crap! If you want free try AVG anti-virus. I even hear Zone Alarm has spyware within itself as well.

No firewall, virusscanner or anti-spamware program is worth anything if you don't know what kind of connections, programs etc to allow, and what to disallow.

I have closed down several ports myself (including those of IRC, with exception rules for the programs that actually use those ports), have restricted My Documents and Windows folders from getting anything written to, certain filetypes cannot open directly unless opened locally, and more. All through McAfee Virusscan. Works like a charm. I don't even use a firewall (I have a router with NAT), and I've never had any problems with virusses or hacks.

First make sure your computer is clean. Use anti-spyware programs to check your computer, format hard disk drive, reinstall operating system etc. biggrin_o.gif the usual procedures with MS Windows.

Then check if you still get the same error. If yes then contact BIS support and ask them what is going on.

[rant]

Those firewall / anti-spyware programs can't really prevent a user from going to the wrong websites and clicking the wrong 'OK' buttons...

...it helps a lot already when you consider carefully where you go in the cyberspace and what you download. If you keep doing the wrong things yourself then no firewall or anti-spyware program is going to save you.

I've cleaned other peoples' computers too (including the computer of my boss), and I don't like such a job one bit, I think I let them suffer from now on if they do same mistakes over and over again without listening to advice.

[/rant]

Please direct me to any proof that BIS has made any spyware or stop spreading false allegations. icon_rolleyes.gif

Please direct me to any proof that BIS has made any spyware or stop spreading false allegations.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Logged off.

Cleared my all IE related data.

Ran both McAfee and Ad-Ware by Lavasoft.

Eliminated any existing files, cookies, and programs.

Logged back on and entered the BI General sub-forum.

Logged back off and ran both programs again.

Ad-Ware did detect several tracking cookies.

Of course, some boards do use tracking cookies to obtain info as to what specific area of the forum you visit.

Remember that the anti-spyware programs can also give alerts for something that is not at all spyware. It's not uncommon. For example in Linux chkrootkit and rkhunter both give false alerts, depending on what is installed on the system being checked. It's also true for Windows. An anti-spyware program has a hard time figuring out what is actually meant as spyware and what is not (if detection is based on some common characteristics of spyware and not detecting exact file fingerprints).

I use a few programs: Spyware Blaster, Ad-aware, Spybot, and AVG, but none of them have said anything.

The cookies may be generated from a different virus that isn't being detected. Try cleaning everything out, going to a different site, and then running the programs again.

I've been on these forums over 5 years and never picked up any spware from here.

same for me. and i use

Quote[/b] ]she was using Zone Alarm..it's crap
also this program. icon_rolleyes.gif

I also know there is no spyware here.

What may be happening is that you already have spyware and when it detects you using the internet (web) it activates

You said something about a window popping up, your description maybe a personal message popping up?

A cookie is stored on your computer with your login information, thats not spyware

Some (IMHO badly made) security programs count every single cookie stored as 'SPYWARE!!!!!' so that they can pop up boxes about it in order to give the illusion that they are working. There isn't any spyware from these boards.

You may have a plugin of some kind running that's creating data with spyware code in it.

Or your anti-virus settings are on highest settings and the cookie saving your login data is being detected as spyware, when in fact it's not.