Sign in to follow this  
Törni

AI GUNNERS TARGETING

After many suspections and observations I finally did a test.

I took a role of commander in various addon tanks.

I had noticed that addon vehicles usually do not fire vehicle main gun at as long distances as BIS vehicles do. And yes it is so. AI gunner can barely hit anything beyond 200m while BIS tanks are dead on target almost always at this range.

So how do AI gunners aim? The strangest part is that if you act yourself as a gunner in an addon tank (using the gunner view to aim normally) the hits are as expected - most of the time kills. Been moving around memory points, but this seems to have little effect.

And the the funniest thing is that AI seems to always aim too low and undershoots.

EDIT: Any ideas of how to "adjust their sights" are most welcome. AI is clearly not using the gunnerview in the same way as a player does.

Quote[/b] ]I had noticed that addon vehicles usually do not fire vehicle main gun at as long distances as BIS vehicles do

today addons are ofp conversions. From my experience the models that worked fine in ofp do work properly in arma.

And the the funniest thing is that AI seems to always aim too low and undershoots.

Yeah it seems like this has alway been a problem. Even in OPF, same thing. Wonder why something like this cant be fix, because if it was fixable you would think they would fix it. I wonder if VBS's have this problem?

Quote[/b] ]Yeah it seems like this has alway been a problem. Even in OPF, same thing.

Then the "fix" must in the part of the game that we cannot reach and thus applies only for BIS vehicles?

Uhh I would leave AI gunners alone. Why? I rely on my AI gunners for accurate kills lol. Ok ok reduce their accuracy over distance.

I don't think this has anything to do with the VEHICLE MODEL, more to do with the WEAPON CONFIG used by the tank/whatever. No matter how badly an addon is coded, provided it can work in game, the player can compensate for it - Example: I've known players to shoot down enemy choppers with a tanks main gun, but the AI can't handle that as the main gun's round isn't coded to be used to engage aircraft. But, give the AI the responsibility of working with a piss-poorly coded tank main-gun, and they will undoubtably screw it up. The AI aren't the best at most things, most things the AI can do a human player can do better (apart from snipe at 500m with a single-shot from a PKM, but thats another story), but if things are coded right (which they often aren't because [some, not all] authors tend not to test addons using AI controlling them, they just throw them in the editor themselves, check basic functionality and release), you can get very "accurate" results.