Sign in to follow this  
mr burns

Atari & the truth..

Atari shitting a whole lot of customers with their fake advertising

yes.

all the advertisement is literally crap and contrived. especially when it comes to the AIs behaviour there are some picutres ... *cough*

Okay, cool.

I´m happy with ArmA, always been and always will. Just thought it´d be of interest for some people smile_o.gif

inlove.gif

LOL fake advertising, so what, we already have the game and know what its like so its not our problem, and i want my ctd fix tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

crazy_o.gif My official .PDF OFP manual tells me that T-80 has reactive armor!!! What a lie, i've enjoyed OFP for years... But now it's all gone, every thing was a lie and OFP SUCKS!

Luckly my ArmA .PDF manual is in German wink_o.gif . i consider false data in official game manuals to be worse than moneythristy publisher's false info which is part of it's (the publisher) ways... So ArmA is great and OFP is shitty wink_o.gif (think that you ArmA bashers)

come on guy, you are obviously supporting atari and there lies. its up to you to do that but its your image that is going to be damaged.

rofl.gif

If this was said tongue-in-cheek as a joke, it's the funniest thing I've read today.

If it wasn't...  crazy_o.gif

You evil witch! BURN! rofl.gif

@ManDay, how can you know ANYTHING about the AI behaviour from a picture? rofl.gif

I think this topic isn't about "bashing ArmA".

The Atari guide got some nice ideas, people saw this and now they want it. tounge2.gif

m136.jpg

I'm not mad by any means, I read articles and watch movies/SS to get my info: not the box. Its called being informed. Although I am upset that fastroping is not in the game, it is not because its on the box. I just think its a really cool feature which was cool in the OFP ECP mod and has great potential for ArmA official or otherwise: Its prolly the #1 thing I want to see in Arma.

As already said, a lot of companies use what you probably could call false advertising... It's been common knowledge for ages that you don't always get what is shown on the box, neither in games nor in other modern day products. That is of course not an excuse for not getting mad sometimes, but I don't see this "false advertising" extremely severe.

I'm just glad as long as BI keep releasing fixes for ArmA. 1.08 was a good patch and certainly worth the wait and if we can get some more fixes for the graphic performance, net code, animations and player control, then I will be even more happy.

EDIT: typos (might still be some)

Hehe... biggrin_o.gif

Isn't it always so that the salesmen are trying to fool you into buying something? That's what I have experienced no matter what I am looking at. Go look at a car which is for sale (new or used), it is guaranteed that the seller is either trying to hide something or simply talks bullshit, trying to make the car look better than it is.

Best what you can do in these cases in my opinion is to let the seller think they are fooling you. Do not show right away that you have better knowledge than they think you have, just let them talk bullshit as much as they want. That way you'll gain better understanding of the sellers' honesty and know how to deal with them. You can always drop a bomb at them in the end of course.

In this specific case it looks to me like it is not Atari which gives an impression of something that is not true. In the bottom of the document's pages it says:

Quote[/b] ]COPYRIGHT 2007, ARMCHAIR GENERAL® MAGAZINE, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED www.armchairgeneral.com

When Atari links to such document, they should say they do not have anything to do with the content and will not promise the content is true. Actually, Atari does not say the content of the document presents accurately what ArmA has:

Quote[/b] ]See what advice a real Army general gives when playing ArmA Combat Operations! Written by Armchair General® magazine, this tactics guide will teach you the basics of modern army squad organization and battle tactics through the elements of the ArmA Combat Operations game!

To my eyes there is no promise in that quote that the content in the document matches ArmA's features. It can be misleading, yes. That's why Atari should've checked it better and make a statement that they take no responsibility for possible errors and misleading information in the document.

Best Regards,

Baddo.

Guest Ti0n3r

Bad Atari. Baaaad Atari. Shame on you.

This is disgusting. Good thing is, now BIS will have to add all these feats to the game :P

@ManDay, how can you know ANYTHING about the AI behaviour from a picture? rofl.gif

I can tell alot from that picture. The way the AI is aiming through the window would be way more sophisticated than what we find in the current arma. atm the ai will not fire a LAW out of a window

there are a dozen pictures where the AI (at least its meant to be an ai and not a mp) is doing something they will never do atm.

burns: dunno what y mean - ironically? well im "okay" with arma, too - even tho i think its not what it should be (but thats another topic)

burns: dunno what y mean - ironically? well im "okay" with arma, too - even tho i think its not what it should be (but thats another topic)

It wasn´t meant to be ironic, i really am fully satisfied. Of course theres some minor gripe with every patch but i know it´s getting better.

Only reason i started this thread was to inform the Atari customers about this rather annoying marketing strategy.

It very much looks to me that this Armchair General Magazine is not Atari, thus what is in the document is not Atari's marketing tactic.

I can tell alot from that picture. The way the AI is aiming through the window would be way more sophisticated than what we find in the current arma. atm the ai will not fire a LAW out of a window

there are a dozen pictures where the AI (at least its meant to be an ai and not a mp) is doing something they will never do atm.

Why do you assume that they are (supposed to be) AI's? huh.gif

Seriously, a picture never tells anything about the AI bheaviour, there are dozens of games with static MGs in them, however every time the AI uses it they are put there from the start or are scripted to use them, you arent going to complain about that to are you?. icon_rolleyes.gif

The only thing weird in that picture is that you cant move in those buildings, however the message 'Attack tanks from a high position' is good.

False advertising?

Turn on the TV and watch the news...................

nener.gif

Did you ever vote?

Did you ever buy a washing product?

etc etc etc etc

sjee what a waste of database space.

I really hope that BIS will work on this new features mad_o.gif

BI is by no means obliged to work on these "new features" because they themselves never claimed to implement them. Even I could retouch some screenshots to imply that fast roping was possible or that soldiers could fire an M136 from a prone position (which is ludicrous anyway) or out of an unenterable building and it would prove nothing.

This whole discussion is pretty pointless come to think of it. Yeah, so some guys made an "official manual" (*cough*) and some people are thinking "WTF!!11!1! Teh lies! This isn't in ArmA! Shame on you BI!!1!".... icon_rolleyes.gif

Sure, it would be cool if we had fast roping and if most buildings would be enterable, but I've never seen Suma or Maruk claim these features are in the game, so I don't expect them to be there.

...or that soldiers could fire an M136 from a prone position (which is ludicrous anyway)...

As I posted somewhere else, I don't think the soldier is holding the M136, it's just on his back.

Hey you guys also get angry when your car is not an "transformer" rofl.gif

watch better advertisement:

C4 Dancer

Sadly ATARI had no time too lookup if every picture from "General Armchairs tactic guide" is right. Maybe next time they seek & get advice from real ArmA player!!

Man this look dangerous, maybe better if they left it out wink_o.gif :

"AT4 PRONE POSITION (FOR USE IN COMBAT ONLY):

The prone position is the most dangerous position in regards to potential backblast injury, due to its proximity to the ground. It also offers the most protection from enemy observation. Ideally, the ground should slope downward from the rear of the launcher, which reduces the effects of the backblast.

* Lie on your stomach with your body at a 90-degree angle to the direction of fire, and with your body and legs to the left of the direction of fire. Ensure that neither the body nor the legs are in the backblast area.

* Unlike other firing positions, this one prevents you from placing the launcher on your right shoulder. Instead, you must hold the launcher in place against your upper right arm. For stability, apply extra pressure on the firing mechanism with your right hand. The prone position is the least stable of all firing positions for the M136 AT4. You must practice it often to become confident using it.

DANGER: FIRE THE AT4 FROM THE PRONE POSITION IN COMBAT ONLY. DO NOT FIRE THE AT4 FROM THE PRONE POSITION DURING TRAINING DUE TO THE RISK OF INJURY TO THE OPERATOR.

DANGER: FAILURE TO MAINTAIN A 90-DEGREE ANGLE FROM THE DIRECTION OF FIRE COULD CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH TO THE FIRER."

20060715b-26.jpg

EDIT: Bah... missed that FWF.Osteo already posted it. Sorry bout that. sad_o.gif

Now that's something I didn't know. Could be a cool new stance to have in the game.

That picture seems quite strange... Is AT4 that dangerous to it's user? 90 degrees... 45 degrees should be enough even for bigger weapons like Apilas.

And i've heard from people who have standed in front of back blast of 66mm M72 LAV that it's just for scaring the rookies: Both guys are breathing, walking and running. No missing legs or anything. Don't know the distance, but other of them said that it wasn't long distance. So i'd quess that if shooters ass is infront of back blast his ass will suffer from bruises and maybe burning-injuries wink_o.gif

20060715b-26.jpg

EDIT: Bah... missed that FWF.Osteo already posted it. Sorry bout that. sad_o.gif

Even not through. Its not 90°. At least not in most of the armed forces in the world. Its arround 50°-60°

^^ rofl.gif

Nice one Dslyecxi! Or rather .... nice one Mofo.