Sign in to follow this  
mike@uk

British SF Desert Dynamic Campaign

This is a unit conversion of Tacrod's Brilliant "ArmA Dynamic Campaign Generator".

The main aim is to create a Dynamic Campaign based upon being a British Special Forces Squad Leader (SAS/SBS/Whoever else you prefer  tounge2.gif ) behind enemy lines in a Desert Country.

The main changes in version 1.0 are:

Replaced Allied Soldiers with British Desert Soldiers.

Reduced Player Squad Size to 4:

1, (Player) Squad Leader: M16/M203 & AT4

2, Medic

3, Machine Gunner

4, Sniper

Changed the Island from Sahrani to Mapfact's South Sahrani Island.

Reduced the number of Friendly forces within the missions and increased the number of OPFOR.

Replaced Allied Helecopter with Mapfact AH-64 and added RHS Mi-24 to OPFOR side.

Added a Radio Option to skip the time by 1 hour for those that prefer choosing their own time of day smile_o.gif .

Tried to replace all Allied Units with British Units/ the closest availabe replacement.

Added Weapon/Ammo crates to the Start base to all missions apart from Battle.

The changes in Version 1.1b are:

Reduced the number of Dynamic enemy spawns to try to reduce lag.

Removed all Dynamic Friendly Ground spawns to reduce lag and also reduce the chance of friendly AI completing the Player's Mission.

Replaced Default OPFOR Troops with Vilas' Olive & Khaki troops and Desert Vehicles.

Added Gigan's Scud Launcher to raid missions.

Moved Mission start location to several forward outposts behind the enemy lines.

The changes in Version 1.1c are:

Moved MH-6 to the start camp in all missions apart from Battle.

Added empty MH-6 to all missions apart from Battle.

To do list:

Add Cutscenes to all missions.

Try to add one or more extra mission types.

Addons Required:

Boss' UK DPM/Desert Reskins

Boss' UK Landrover Reskins

Mapfact South Sahrani v1.02

Mapfact Air v1.05

Mapfact Misc

RHS Mi-24 Hind

Gigan's Nuclear Scud

Vilas' Basic Pack

Vilas' Cold War Pack

Vilas' Desert Pack

Version 1.1c Links:

RapidShare

Armaholic.com

Version 1.1b Links:

RapidShare

Tacrod's Mirror

Version 1.0 Links:

TacRod's Link

RapidShare

If you have any problems/sudgestions please let me know and I'll try to address them.

Also a Mirror or two would be nice.  biggrin_o.gif

Have fun!

bsfdcue6.jpg

I just loaded this up, and I'm about to start playing, but just wanted to jump in here first and say thank you! Looks awesome the little I've seen, so a big thank you for your work, and I'm looking forward future versions of this as tacrod updates his campaign/mission, and new units gets available.

smile_o.gif

Hello all

Sounds great.

the more Brit stuff the better. DL'ing now.

rgds

LoK

Really glad to see this campaign converted to ArmA.

Played it a lot in OFP. will play it and report back.

EDIT: Ok reporting back after trying it for the first time. First of all I like it that you chose the Mapfact South Sahrani island, it fits very well.

But the enjoyment stops rights there, because of the heavy lag i'm having. right on mission start a couple of planes crash down, is this intended?

Besides this sometimes the mission is accomplished even before I leave the base.

If there's too much lag I can reduce the number of OPFOR Spawns for the next version to see if that helps.

The missions being accomplished are due to Dynamic Spawns as there are Friendly/Enemy Units moving and fighting allover so if the mission is to kill certain units then they might just die as part of the war, I can remove all the Friendly AI Ground Troops but the Friendly Air Power might still kill them.

I don't know why there are Planes flying into the ground, I haven't changed any of the Plane based scripts from the original other than increasing the number of Enemy Jets and decreasing Friendly ones. confused_o.gif

Wow this looks cool. Going to have to post this info on my clans forums, oddly enough its called the RM (Royal Marines). Think they will like it. Thank you for this, looking fwd to it. Later.

the mission virtually freezes up after 5 mins :-( shame i was looking foward to playin this

I just added all the files & addons for British SF to my game install, fired up ARMA and get this messsage as ARMA loads:

" 'Map_Air_Weap' requires 'Map_Misc' "

ARMA then loads and I can start the British SF campaign.

I can load up the British SF Campaign and have started a mission. However, I have not had the time to play it through.

Can you please explain why I get the missing file message and where I should find it?

Thanks.

would anybody know why I'm unable to arm myself with anything but a handgun and an M136 launcher. i can see the M16s but i cant take them. likewise, i cant take rifles from dead enemy soldiers. am i missing something?

I'm also getting pretty poor performance down into the low teens FPS wise when single player I normally get 50-70. Playing online on the normal south only island I get the same sort of fps with 50 > 60 players in the same game.

God this mission seems like an excellent one but it has so many bugs that it's impossible to play. I'm looking forward to the next release. Is there an estimated date for the next release by any chance? I hope its soon.

Yeap, this campaign seem to have a huge potential and from what I've seen so far the concept is awesome and some parts of this campaign really works well but unfortunally I also suffer from extremelly low FPS specially when nearing Cities or the Objective Area and when this happens the FPS are so low that it becomes impossible to play. confused_o.gif

So I also ask, when will the FPS problem be sorted out for this campaign? Or are there any workarounds to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for replies...

Here's an updated version that should hopefully reduce the lag.

Version 1.1b

Tacrod's Mirror

I had wanted to add some cutscenes and try to add an extra mission type, but I'll release this updated version now if the lag is too much.  smile_o.gif

Version 1.1 Changes

Reduced the number of dynamic enemy spawns to try to reduce lag.

removed all dynamic friendly ground spawns to try to reduce lag and also lower the chance of friendly units completing the Player's mission.

Replaced default OPFOR Troops with Vilas' Olive Green Troops and Desert Armour.

Added Gigan's Scud Launcher to Raid Missions.

Moved mission start location to several forward camps behind enemy lines.

Extra Addons Required for Version 1.1

Gigan's Nuclear Scud

Vilas' Basic Pack

Vilas' Cold War Pack

Vilas' Desert Pack

If there's still lag or problems let me know.  smile_o.gif

(If you want to try to reduce lag without having to download the newer version and the addons, then try going to:

ArmA/Campaigns/British Desert SF ADCS/Missions/ADCS_Battle.Map_SSara/Core

open "StartACDS" with Notepad and go to the group that starts with "EnemySquads = [X,X]" and change the two X numbers to the min/max dynamic squads you want to have, you can do this with Friendlies and armour etc also.

But make sure you copy your modified StartADCS file to all the other missions so they're the same.)

bsfdc02mc3.jpg

I've dl'd the new version and the lag is greatly reduced.... but one problem, there are no enemies around. The Raid mission involving the SCUD didn't have the launcher or troops anywhere. I looked around the area shown on the map and surrounding the shown area but nothing. I used the helo to insert into the area, could this cause the problem. Next the same thing happened with one of the battle missions, no troops in the city.

Error messages also appear every now and then in the upper left corner during the missions. They don't stick around long enough for me to copy them. I think one says something about Zero divisor and others have various missing messages. Sorry I can't give more info on these.

Same here some error messages. will try to copy them somehow. Lag is really reduced!

EDIT: But experienced the same problem here: no enemies at target position! Please rework the campaign again, as the FPS are good now.

PS. Also as a little hint: Use please consequently desert addons for this campaign. The greed SCUD Launcher, the green RHS Hind and Olive soldiers don't fit the dry MAPS_Sara environment. But this is just eyecandy. The gameplay is more important!

I don't know what could be causing errors or why there are no units at the target as I haven't experienced those problems and haven't changed any of the mission scripts.

It could be a version problem (I have ArmA German V1.08) or maybe a problem with the compression of the uploaded file, I've compressed it again but with WinZip instead of WinRar to see if that helps:

WinZip Version

The reason that the enemies have Green Uniforms and the Hind is Green/Yellow Iraqi colour is because they're based on Gulf-War Era Iraqi Regulars, who, as far as I know from my limited TV and Game based knowledge wore mainly green uniforms, but I'm sure there's someone with more knowledge who'll know.

Unfortunatly the SCUD is green because It's the only SCUD I could find.

(Also bear in mind that the SCUD itself may not actualy spawn in the camp on a raid mission is it's randomly generated out of the different camp components, but there should always be a camp of some sort at the Raid Objective, just put it down to bad intel. tounge2.gif )

I can confirm the error problems that Kroky and Manzilla posted.

One of the errors is something like:

"Cannot find Vilas_Soldiereb1". I'm not sure if it's "Vilas_Soldiereb1" but it's something very similar to it I'm sure of and it seems that with this error which always occur with version 1.1 of this campaign NO enemy foot soldiers appears (but enemy Helos, Planes and Armored Vehicles do appear or spawn). I have solved this problem by editing the StartADSC file and replacing the vilas soldiers with the original ones (the same ones of the 1.0 version of the campaign) and now enemy soldiers do appear in my campaign.

By the way I have one question, the transport helo was removed from version 1.1 wasn't it? It's a petty, it was very cool having a transport helo at the player's orders.

I have an another weard issue to report, in a Rescue mission one of my team mates which was manning a Land Rover's Machine Gun shot and killed one of the pilots which I think we were supposed to be rescued. I pretty sure that the pilot was friendly even because he was armed with an MP5 so it must be friendly and even so my team mate killed him huh.gif

Sorry that's my fault.

It seems that since I changed the OPFOR to the Olive Uniforms the Olive Troops have been removed from Vilas' Modern Pack and replaced with some Olive and Khaki Troops in his Cold War Pack, which is why there haven't been any enemies.

Which means you don't need the Modern Sahrani Pack but need the Cold War Pack instead:

Vilas' Cold War Unit Pack

You'll also need an updated version of the mission that uses the newer Olive and Khaki Troops as the classnames are different:

Version 1.1b

Tacrod's Mirror

Sorry about that.   confused_o.gif

Note: The Helicopter is still available for the Raid Missions, it's just it's moved from your camp to an Island North East of Sahrani as it's look abit odd having the Helicopter start at your base now.

Also you may get a weapon error when you first start a mission but it doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Would also like to know how the lag is now, as it would obviously have been lower in the old version, what with me not putting in any enemies.  whistle.gif

Still getting serious error messages right on the start of the campaign. Something like this:

1e (paths, MatrixCeff.sqf)

Logic createunits pos

groups 0, expected 3, getpos server, group server...

file MAP_Misc/scripts/MAP Misc....

there are some more lines, but it's really hard to get the whole message since it's long and doesn't stay long enough.

Also when I try to add friendly units or civilian units, I get the error of not finding the spawn friendly.sqs script.

Also when I try to add friendly units or civilian units, I get the error of not finding the spawn friendly.sqs script.

In what missions and at what point in the mission does this error pop up?

SpawnFriendly.sqs was in earlier builds of ADCS, but was cut in favour of more generic scripts (eg. SpawnFixed.sqs). I'm a bit suprised to see it pop up in an error message.

I get various error messages that appear throughout the mission. I'll try to write em down but they disappear fairly quickly. I'm also having many of the problems others in this post have.

1.) There are never any enemies near the objective areas.

2.) Besides the "jump in the Land Rover" mission, I can't complete any other mission.

3.) On the search and destroy mission, the objective is approx.1200m off shore on the opposite end of the island and no boat, heli,etc. in sight.

4.) The missions begin completely lag free but as they progress the lag gets worse and worse to the point the mission is unplayable. If I quit the game and continue the mission later, the lag is the same as when I saved and left the game.

I'm not sure if some of the AddOns are causing a conflict> I have so many that it very well could be the problem.

I hope this list helps out. There are a few more problems but I can't remember them at the moment. I will also try to get the error messages for you but it's hard to get all the info since they don't stick around too long.

@tacrod

the error messages are appearing as soon I start the campaign. The first screen where you have to board the jeep (anyway I don't understand why I have to board this jeep, since the mission end few seconds anyway).