Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

Tactical Guide available in print form

It took a bit longer than anticipated, but we finally got the print version of the ArmA Tactics, Techniques, & Procedures Guide ready to order.

It's full-color, 8.5x11", and over 160 pages long. The design and layout was done by Mofo8, and he did a fantastic job of it. The price is $39.99 a copy for the full-color version, with most of that being due to the full-color aspect of it all. The black-and-white version is $19.99 a copy by comparison and still looks very nice. I received my copy of the full-color version recently, and I'm quite impressed by how it turned out. Everyone I've shown it to personally has commented on how nice it looks. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Update, July 6th: By popular demand, there is now a half-price black-and-white version available. Cover is still full-color, inside is grayscale. It looks quite nice and, as mentioned, costs half as much. smile_o.gif

Black & White $19.99 Version

Also, the guide was just reviewed by Magnum of SimHQ. You can find the review here.

Here's a quote from the back cover, written by Syixxs:

Quote[/b] ]Covering everything from basic infantry tactics to advanced combined arms operations, Dslyecxi’s Tactics, Techniques, & Procedures Guide sets the standard for a community-developed player handbook. All of the essentials for organized play of ArmA: Combat Operations, or any other tactical realism game, are presented in a functional and easy to understand format. Where other guides approach tactical realism with bulky emphasis on “real,†Dslyecxi has distilled years of modern combat documentation into a package that is directly relevant to gaming, with none of the excesses that hinder game play. Beneficial to both experienced simulation and entry level players alike, Tactics is an excellent addition to any gamer’s library.

If you're interested in ordering a copy, you can do so here:

http://www.lulu.com/dslyecxi/

print_ttp_1_tmb.jpg

Hires Version

print_ttp_3_tmb.jpg

Hires Version

print_ttp_4_tmb.jpg

Hires Version

print_ttp_5_tmb.jpg

Hires Version

print_ttp_6_tmb.jpg

Hires Version

print_ttp_7_tmb.jpg

Hires Version

The online version of this guide can be found in my signature. If you like this idea, feel free to spread the news... the more exposure, the better. wink_o.gif

If the price is a problem for you, my apologies. I didn't want to sacrifice the color to make it cheaper, so that probably put a few people out of the market for it. I think the end result is worth the price, though.

Quote[/b] ]By popular demand, there is now a half-price black-and-white version available. Cover is still full-color, inside is grayscale. It looks quite nice and, as mentioned, costs half as much. smile_o.gif

Black & White $19.99 Version

Also, the guide was just reviewed by Magnum of SimHQ. You can find the review here.

Wow great job! I will be reading this for sure.

What regions in the world does the shipping cover?

Lulu uses a print on demand model, which means your copy will be printed and shipped from a location near to where you order.

Great Job Dslyecxi!!!

I think I´ll order a copy of this guide. It´s very great!

I read it already at your page.

I think that my guide will be ready to print in the next weeks.

1st German and 2nd Englisch with 300 Pages or more.

Lulu is a pleasing system, but very expensive for the consumer. But... nothin´is too expensive for ArmA/OFP wink_o.gif

I´m sure I have to search and choose a system for my version to print and release it in english, too. It´s very complicated  crazy_o.gif

Good luck with it wink_o.gif

Regards,

Mr-Murray

Add: Your guide is baadly needed, but the KI will be better from patch to patch and additional to that there will come the DAC and many other great KI-Addons.

You need it to survive on the battlefield or you´ll die wink_o.gif

40 Bucks for 160 pages? Wow, a proud price. wow_o.gif

Full-color is expensive. In any case, the online version of it is free for those that can't afford a printed copy.

Quote[/b] ]how about an online PDF version of the manual?

Eventually, sure.

I am amazed by the screenshots. They all look fabolous! thumbs-up.gif

Its just awesome - I really with I had those grafics wow_o.gifwow_o.gif

http://dslyecxi.com/images/arma/ttp/animated_day_night_two_sml.gif is amazing as well biggrin_o.gif

-edit-

ok i took a deep look at all pictures and read some lines troughout the whole guide over the past dozen minutes and i gotta say:

great work. this is by far the absolutly best guide for how-to-play a game I ve ever seen. The USAC should really hire you to rewrite their fms - easly comprehensible pictures and explanations. warfare in a nutshell - absolutly fantastic work!

oh I see. yr former usm. well done.

I am amazed by the screenshots. They all look fabolous! thumbs-up.gif

Thanks. biggrin_o.gif

The screens at the start were all part of a batch of US PR shots I created for Atari. I don't think I've ever seen them released by Atari, or used for PR. Well, I've seen two or three of them from the same batch, but only once, and that's out of 100+ images.

Silly Atari confused_o.gif

You cease to amaze me Dslyecxi, i think i will order one smile_o.gif

If anyone has any questions about the format or content of the book, or about the Lulu print and distribution service, then feel free to ask them here. I did the design and layout for print - so am in the lucky position of being in possession of a "beta" of the printed article.

For those who think it's too expensive - shop around... contact some print companies and see how much they will charge you for a 168 page, full colour, full bleed perfect bound book. The only way to get the price down would have been to have a publisher order and print a whole load of copies and then sell them on.

Great news! Will you *update* the online guide?

Don't bother about thrifty & stingy Swabians wink_o.gif

@Mr Murray

Your guide is baadly needed too!! Pull your finger out!

Just a quick bump to say that the first ordered copies of the printed TTP have been dropping through people's letterboxes today. Feedback is good so far. Thanks to everyone who ordered a copy, and I hope you enjoy it.

I got my copy this morning and I read it over the course of a quiet afternoon at work.

All in all, I think it's quite expensive for what it is, which is essentially a bound, shiny print from a webpage.

There's rather too much emphasis on ACE, which we don't even have yet and an entire chapter devoted to the Shack Tactical group, which I skipped.

The pictures illustrating the effects of moonlight weren't great. The picture showing what no moonlight was, predictably, pitch back. The picture that showed how your vision improves with a little moonlight was, erm... pitch black. smile_o.gif Oh, and there was a few bits that were clearly not suited to print media; "below is an animation of etc etc." biggrin_o.gif

Good points are that it's a comprehensive guide to playing the game that goes much further than the manual. It's nice having it so I can read it offline. I'm sure I'll read through it again tomorow!

I don't regret buying it, but I would have liked something a little extra for the price.

Quote[/b] ]All in all, I think it's quite expensive for what it is, which is essentially a bound, shiny print from a webpage.

I think you're overlooking something very significant. It is a full-color, 168 page 8.5x11 document. That costs $$$ to print. It is also from a print-on-demand vendor, which means that the cost-per-copy stays relatively high because they're not being printed in the kind of bulk that allows for bulk savings to be made. In any case, it's available for free online to anyone who thinks it's too pricey. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]There's rather too much emphasis on ACE, which we don't even have yet

ACE is a big part of my group's future, and it's not hard to write towards that effect considering our experience with the precursor, WGL. Better to include the relevant aspects of ACE that we know about now, and have that information available from the start, than wait until later and try to retrofit it everywhere it needs to be.

Quote[/b] ]and an entire chapter devoted to the Shack Tactical group, which I skipped.

Well, yeah. Hence the title. ShackTac ArmA TTP. wink_o.gif

Even the sections directly about ShackTac are relevant to any ArmA groups. You can see how we do things and then use relevant parts yourself if you want. At the very least it gives an idea of how a large group organizes itself.

Quote[/b] ]I don't regret buying it, but I would have liked something a little extra for the price.

Like what?

I think I have been very straightforward about what the printed version is. It's the online one, except in hardcopy form. It costs money because I wanted to keep it as a full-color document. There was never any intent to put "extra" content in it, the idea for it is that it's a hardcopy, well-laid-out PDF full-color version of something that you'd otherwise be reading on your computer. If you want a hardcopy version, it's the route to go. If you'd rather just view it freely on my site, go for it.

I'm glad you're ultimately happy with it, but let's not forget what it is intended to be.

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret buying it at all. I like it. smile_o.gif

You answered nearly all of my points satisfactorily and that's cool in itself!

Forgot to mention, I've been considering getting a Trackir system, now you've persuaded me.

I got mine copy today, it looks bloody brilliant and professional printed! notworthy.gif

Recommended to all noobs of the game, hopefully we can be better at this game now. wink_o.gif

No but seriously, this is just awesome. inlove.gif

I'm gonna put in my order soon.

I can see me, mid-battle, rushing for my manual and flicking through the index "Argh, what do I do now Dyslexci?!"