Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Vietnam: The Experience

Just making a request for the style of the game

One thing I hated about arma was the lack of a story, or any style to the game. Soldiers are too formal, and even the game is very realistic, the feel of the game is far from real.

One thing I really loved about battlefield: Vietnam when i used to play it was the fact that it felt like you were in Vietnam. It felt real.

It would be nice if people in the game acted like real soldiers, maybe some dynamic speech would be nice, saying taunts, and just saying things that make them seem more human. Like making comments when around dead NVA or GI's. Or shouting at enemies while fighting.

Some informal uniforms would be cool, with rolled up sleeves or ammo belts. Maybe stuff would be written on helmets, like born to kill, or a peace symbol, or both biggrin_o.gif

(FMJ)

Anyways, I hope this game will have some atmosphere to it when it comes out.

Quote[/b] ]One thing I really loved about battlefield: Vietnam when i used to play it was the fact that it felt like you were in Vietnam. It felt real.

Its not.

You must be some kind of genius, figuring that out all on your own smile_o.gif

You see, the key word in my last post was "felt."

Felt is the past tense of "feel" so, when I used it the way i did, it means it feels real, not is real. But what a creative joke, you should be a comedian.

Felt is the past tense of "feel" so, when I used it the way i did, it means it feels real, not is real. But what a creative joke, you should be a comedian.

Well then, to most who know, it didn't even feel real. It just felt like a badly optimized BF1942 mod, with normal maps. I've seen better and worked on better. BF:V truly sucked in all views.

I think you'll find VTE islands look and feel alot closer to the real vietnam then BF:V ever was. BF:V was too plasticy/ too glossy. VTE sort of has that 'platoon' feel on most islands (i.e the movie platoon).

too bad the vte terrain isnt available as stand alone islands for use in regular arma missions :-(

As far as "looks" or "feel"...some of you may remember 2 older games. One was called Vietcong, and the other was called Line Of Site:Vietnam...I always felt that while Vietcong had the better gameplay attributes, it was always LOS:Vietnam that "looked & felt" more like a real rain forest setting to me. I felt Vietcong vegetation colors were too bright and cartoonish, whereas LOS:Vietnam had a much more subtle or subdued coloration of forests.

I'd love to see BIS make a Vietnam or Pacific Island addon for Arma or Arma2, but im not so sure arma's clunky movement & bothersome animations would support a CQB style of this sort too well. I would definately buy it though.

One thing I really loved about battlefield: Vietnam when i used to play it was the fact that it felt like you were in Vietnam. It felt real.

It would be nice if people in the game acted like real soldiers, maybe some dynamic speech would be nice, saying taunts, and just saying things that make them seem more human. Like making comments when around dead NVA or GI's. Or shouting at enemies while fighting.

I agree that it did add atmosphere.I used the taunts often, pretty kewl.

I still play BF:V on ocassion.If more people were playing I would play it more, it had some neet features.The taunts,radio in every vehicle(with awesome Vietnam Era music), gunning out of the back of choppers (grenades too),bouncing bettys and all

Too bad, I used to work with a guy that was from Vietnam 10 years earlier.He already agreed to do some voiceovers for OFP for me.I can find him, hes not far away

Would be nice to add some taunts to Arma VTE

No it's not

then how come I can't install it? I installed it like I do every mod but it just doesn't show up when I click on it.

Well then, to most who know, it didn't even feel real. It just felt like a badly optimized BF1942 mod, with normal maps. I've seen better and worked on better. BF:V truly sucked in all views.

I love arma, but there is such a huge battlefield stigma from most arma players. The battlefield series was great. All of them.

Get over yourself. Playing arma doesn't make you a genius.

The average age of a soldier in vietnam was 18.

Think about what a war run by 18 year olds from the 60's is like.

What stigma? Am I saying that the whole Battlefield series sucked? No. I love BF1942 and BF2, great fun, but BF:V sucked. Bad map design, bad balance, it just sucked in the end, with the flying huey tank, a huey that can airlift a tank, things that saw action in such limited numbers that they are hardly mentioned, but are put ingame at numbers nearly bigger than reality. Just bad.

If the average age was 18 then how come the average age of killed was 23. Now since you had more chance of being killed in the first 3 months of your tour then at best you could drop that average to 22.

Quote[/b] ]Think about what a war run by 18 year olds from the 60's is like.
No thanks crazy_o.gif

I know it's stupid repeating myself, but it hasn't been answered yet and I feel it's still more on topic than the ol OFP/AA vs BF... icon_rolleyes.gif

---

will later versions also feature dense jungle environments? Love the current work, but I'm kinda missing very dense jungle environments like the Unsung mod for OFP featured.

I remember, when playing that mod, how tense the jungle fights were since you never quite new from where the enemy was shooting due to foliage and you had to look for slightly more open spaces in the jungle so you could gather your squad and spot the source of enemy fire. Afaik, Unsung had a system where, as long as you and the enemy AI were in the jungle, AI only shot at rather close ranges making the fights more "survivable" since spotting enemies through foliage was so hard and to simulate the same circumstances for AI.

I'm sure Arma Engine wll allow you to make it look and play so much better than it did on the old ofp engine. It was already a great experience then...

---

I know it's stupid repeating myself, but it hasn't been answered yet and I feel it's still more on topic than the ol OFP/AA vs BF... icon_rolleyes.gif

---

will later versions also feature dense jungle environments? Love the current work, but I'm kinda missing very dense jungle environments like the Unsung mod for OFP featured.

I remember, when playing that mod, how tense the jungle fights were since you never quite new from where the enemy was shooting due to foliage and you had to look for slightly more open spaces in the jungle so you could gather your squad and spot the source of enemy fire. Afaik, Unsung had a system where, as long as you and the enemy AI were in the jungle, AI only shot at rather close ranges making the fights more "survivable" since spotting enemies through foliage was so hard and to simulate the same circumstances for AI.

I'm sure Arma Engine wll allow you to make it look and play so much better than it did on the old ofp engine. It was already a great experience then...

---

There's plenty of deep jungle areas in the VTE islands, just stop being so lazy and look for yourself, I made a mission on 7 mountains in a area where you could barely see 5 feet in front of you.

If the average age was 18 then how come the average age of killed was 23. Now since you had more chance of being killed in the first 3 months of your tour then at best you could drop that average to 22.
Quote[/b] ]Think about what a war run by 18 year olds from the 60's is like.
No thanks  crazy_o.gif

Yes, the average age of combat infantrymen in Vietnam was

22.8 years. 18 years was the youngest age for two-year

draftees. You could also join the regular US Army at 17

(provided your parents or legal guardians signed an approval),

although 17 year olds could not be sent to Vietnam.

Paul Hardcastle would have me believe that the average age of soldiers in the vietnam war was nineteen nineteen nenenineteen

Here is my input.

1.Got to get rid of the criss-cross grass objects. They look so bad it's embarrasing.

UWAR Grass was always a better grass system.

2.Also you guys need some perfectly flat dust textured areas so us mission guys can create bases of our own.

Up the sides of hills and in plains. You'd need a large area of flat open grassland outside the dust textured areas too to simulate the area which the US had defoliated ground to be able to see enemy approaches.

3. Land must have undulating ground. Dead ground is essential for soldiers. Even if it's just small undulations it'll work.

4. The ability to set object textures on a range of your addons.

Like the squadron badges on the Nampack Hueys. Soldiers with this feauture would be appreciated.

5. Holes in the jungle at random places that would allow the AI to land a chopper. Emergency extractions, resupplies and insertions were a huge part of the war. Having the AI able to land in a big enough gap would make the feeling that much more realistic.

I'll think of more later.

Paul Hardcastle would have me believe that the average age of soldiers in the vietnam war was nineteen nineteen nenenineteen

Artistic license. The reference to teenage soldiers

has more of an immediate emotional impact - and

"Ninaninaninaninanineteen" sounds better than

"twentytwotwentttytwotwennntytwo...point eight"   tounge2.gif

Artistic license. The reference to teenage soldiers

has more of an immediate emotional impact - and

"Ninaninaninaninanineteen" sounds better than

"twentytwotwentttytwotwennntytwo...point eight" tounge2.gif

Lol ,

I was only.......22.8

There's plenty of deep jungle areas in the VTE islands, just stop being so lazy and look for yourself, I made a mission on 7 mountains in a area where you could barely see 5 feet in front of you.

Did the AI manage to fire their weapons in those jungles? I've given up making missions for VTE..for now. 90% of the terrain doesn't work with the AI, at all.

too bad the vte terrain isnt available as stand alone islands for use in regular arma missions :-(

As far as "looks" or "feel"...some of you may remember 2 older games. One was called Vietcong, and the other was called Line Of Site:Vietnam...I always felt that while Vietcong had the better gameplay attributes, it was always LOS:Vietnam that "looked & felt" more like a real rain forest setting to me. I felt Vietcong vegetation colors were too bright and cartoonish, whereas LOS:Vietnam had a much more subtle or subdued coloration of forests.

I'd love to see BIS make a Vietnam or Pacific Island addon for Arma or Arma2, but im not so sure arma's clunky movement & bothersome animations would support a CQB style of this sort too well. I would definately buy it though.

Not all of Vietnam is (well was...) dense jungle. A good part of the country was deciduous forest with vegetation that changed seasonally.

Did the AI manage to fire their weapons in those jungles? I've given up making missions for VTE..for now. 90% of the terrain doesn't work with the AI, at all.

biggrin_o.gif well yeah they killed me, so Im assuming they were working in that area, mind you I don't think they were actually registering me until they were 5 feet away from me, but that area is really thick like I said, so AI wouldn't be able to see past the bush geometry.

However I've played a few VTE missions that seem to have some good jungle battles where the AI will sometimes catch you off guard.

Does anyone know how to get VTE running with the 1.09beta patch?

I donwloaded the mod from armainfo but the 7z file (vietnam experience is corupted.

can't extract the file with winrar. Other link for the file?

Thanks