Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Vietnam: The Experience

This has reignited my ArmA fire, so to speak. smile_o.gif

I realise it's early days, but.. Will the next release make the AI a little more playable? Having a tough time getting them to engage, even in open areas.

Great job though. Truly feels like "OFP within ArmA". biggrin_o.gif

Try TrueRangeAI, that helps when it comes to engaging distances.

Try TrueRangeAI, that helps when it comes to engaging distances.

Not really.

In this mod the engagement failures seem to be caused by buggy view geometry models on tall grass, rice paddys and maybe others.

This shows quite clearly on the southern part of "Ilo". Enemies won´t engage even when you stand 4 meters in front of them with just a single (perfectly seethrough) grass tile inbetween.

Have tested the AI on different parts of all the islands. Besides the obvious tall grass problems, they also fail to engage in certain open areas (unless very close). Sure this will get ironed out as the mod progresses though. smile_o.gif

Are the PMC forums invite only? Don't see a registration button anywhere.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quote[/b] ]pilot can't even see over the dash board.

Yep I noticed that, will be fixed.

Quote[/b] ]when you put a get out waypoint for the AI, they don't actually get out of the choppers.

Hmm havent tried this myself, is this repeated on all helos?

And we are talking about single helo, so you try to get the pilot + possible gunner(s) to get out with a "Get Out" waypoint?

Quote[/b] ]I am having trouble putting VTE weapons in crates

Now there is VTE ammo boxes available.

Quote[/b] ]I like your vehicles and want to use them but i dont want your splash screens.

Well, you cant please everyone smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Kurt's (the QG main caracter) helmet fot the AirCalvary soldiers?

We use the QG greadiers helmet for AirCav and USMC.

Quote[/b] ]all of the effects  appeared to be ofp imports

If you mean the napalm fire, then yeah its from somewhere I have no clue. But unless I'm totally mistaken we dont have any other effects.

Quote[/b] ]which PBO's should I take out? (Which pbos include the UI changes and the loading screens?

You are free to study editing tutorials and do such edits for private use smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Have you guys considered switching to the more realistic looking napalm effects that were released just this month I believe?

granQ asked in the napalm topic if VTE can use it, nobody replied.

Quote[/b] ]all the US units in VTE at the moment are using a retextured default BIS soldier as a placeholder??

That was before...

Quote[/b] ]Will the next release make the AI a little more playable? Having a tough time getting them to engage, even in open areas.

I had reports that the engagement ranges are too short now, I'll look into it for the next release for sure.

Quote[/b] ]are the PMC forums invite only? Don't see a registration button anywhere.

Not really invite only, just registrations disabled due huge number of spam bots. If you want account, send me a private message here with your username and email, I'll then create account for you manually.

Quote[/b] ]which PBO's should I take out? (Which pbos include the UI changes and the loading screens?

You are free to study editing tutorials and do such edits for private use smile_o.gif

First, Thank you so much for the reply!

I would very much so like to edit your .pbo's for private use, so that I may use them all the time with my regular addons! thumbs-up.gif

They really are great ! I know how to un-pbo lol, and I can figure out which .pbos contain the models, sounds, configs and such, but I am currently unaware of which pbo's include changes to the game such as the loading screens, and any Ui changes that may have been made. Perhaps you can point me in the right direction?huh.gif And this is for private uses of course tounge2.gif

Chip, no offense, but he is letting you do it IF you don't bug him about it. In other words, "you can teach yourself" because he does not have the time to "teach you". The alternative is to use them as is.

--Ben

Chip, no offense, but he is letting you do it IF you don't bug him about it.  In other words, "you can teach yourself" because he does not have the time to "teach you".  The alternative is to use them as is.

--Ben

look, I dont need to be taught "how to do it". I can figure that out if I don't know already, im not a freaking retard. All I would like to know, is at least WHICH PBO the loading screens may be in (I am guessing the Ui changes are in the configs)

If I know WHICH PBO the files are in, perhaps I will have a little more luck yes?

Chip, no offense, but he is letting you do it IF you don't bug him about it.  In other words, "you can teach yourself" because he does not have the time to "teach you".  The alternative is to use them as is.

--Ben

look, I dont need to be taught "how to do it". I can figure that out if I don't know already, im not a freaking retard. All I would like to know, is at least WHICH PBO the loading screens may be in (I am guessing the Ui changes are in the configs)

If I know WHICH PBO the files are in, perhaps I will have a little more luck yes?

Why dont you check the BIS Biki to find out about UI changes, or just open up the pbos and look about.  It will probably be faster than waiting for a reply on here.

And maybe take some friendly advice as what it is..friendly advice.

Quote[/b] ]Will the next release make the AI a little more playable? Having a tough time getting them to engage, even in open areas.

I had reports that the engagement ranges are too short now, I'll look into it for the next release for sure.

Thanks Snake Man smile_o.gif

Congrats on the choppers behavior. I've never seen pilots in ArmA like this before. Much improved over stock heli behavior. They seem to manoeuver to get their gunners on target, not the usual "fly straight at target". Have noticed though that once one of these pilots are on foot, they obliterate the VC infantry - who seem incapable of engaging. Just an observation. smile_o.gif

Is the PT-76 an OFP convert? It looks great. and why does the MiG 19 umnnnn Dance on the ground. I know this is the alpha release, but i was just wondering did i maybee get a bad download?

Is the PT-76 an OFP convert? It looks great. and why does the MiG 19 umnnnn Dance on the ground. I know this is the alpha release, but i was just wondering did i maybee get a bad download?

Is there still a server running it or what to do for the pw server?

Here's a open server:

202.136.100.194:2302

GamingSA.com-AusArmA.com QG VTE Vietnam: The Experience

Yeah the last few days I've been trying to find a server with ppl in it. Maybe there should be "play" days? Nights where people are off of work or school, just an idea.

This is a good idea, I have been wanting to play in a big game of VTE for a while now. After this week I would be available to play nearly any day of the week due to the semester being over. When the new semester rolls around I'm sure I could fit a play night into my schedule.

I just tried this mod yesterday (too late after it´s release probably but I couldn´t before)... I missed a NAM modification for the ArmA engine for a long time... biggrin_o.gif This looks very promissing for the current release and I can´t imagine how it would look in the future. Lots of choppers!

Thanks for the job already done on this

Cheers

A quick tribute from a huey fan to thank VTE mod developers:

Sunset at Mekong delta...

arma2008-01-0204-39-58-84.jpg

And a little of image editing featuring also the great Maddmatt´s ArmA Effects mod...

VTE.jpg

Happy 2008!

smile_o.gif

Cheers

And now a short video showing some of the items included in the current release. There are so many ones I could not choose all, so I decided to focus on my favourite ones: the choppers

45 MB low-res (divx):

http://rapidshare.com/files/81069725/VTE_TheEnd_divx_.divx

82 MB high-res (wmv):

http://rapidshare.com/files/81078768/VTE_TheEnd_HiRes.wmv

Enjoy!

smile_o.gif

Does anyone know if its possible to extract, and if so...all the exact files needed, to be able to use 1 of the islands from VTE to make my own little mission for vanilla arma?

My goal is to make a small stand alone MP mission that will not require VTA to be installed for the players.

All i want to use is the island (ashua or whatever its called) and its associated objects that are already in place (vegetation, villages, etc.)...no vte units or weapons needed.

I already tried extracting the island but it didnt work...im not sure how to make a specific config file for this to work...and which files might need to be extracted from vte.

If any VTE users know the answer, Id surely appreciate the help.

*Thanks*

will later versions also feature dense jungle environments? Love the current work, but I'm kinda missing very dense jungle environments like the Unsung mod for OFP featured.

I remember, when playing that mod, how tense the jungle fights were since you never quite new from where the enemy was shooting due to foliage and you had to look for slightly more open spaces in the jungle so you could gather your squad and spot the source of enemy fire. Afaik, Unsung had a system where, as long as you and the enemy AI were in the jungle, AI only shot at rather close ranges making the fights more "survivable" since spotting enemies through foliage was so hard and to simulate the same circumstances for AI.

I'm sure Arma Engine wll allow you to make it look and play so much better than it did on the old ofp engine. It was already a great experience then smile_o.gif