Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Vietnam: The Experience

Cool, glad to see it moving on. Sometimes when I play vanilla arma, especially when im on those little hills, I say to myself, vietnam. The way the game looks sometimes it just would fit a vietnam mod well. Oh btw, my former mod leader for xww2, his father was a vietnam grunt with an m79 and 1911, and he told me that most m79 gunners took off the rear sight as they were clunky and would snag in brush etc...just a tid bit I had to add. smile_o.gif Oh, my father was in nam too, he had an m14 but later on he was given (not issued wink_o.gif ) a blued 1911 to go up in the mountains where there were VC bastards. Can't wait to grab an m14 or 1911 and start dropping VC. pistols.gif lol

It was not so much the number of rounds, it was the rate of fire was too high.

The wrong powder used in the rounds and no cleaning kit was issued with the weapon in the early days.

No, it's because of the design of the magazine and spring.

The 20 round M16 magazines could actually take up to 21

rounds but it was soon found that loading more than 17 or

18 made it prone to jamming. Many Vietnam veterans mention

this practise.

The M16 isn't the only weapon that has required this field-

expedient. Many of the 20th century automatic weapons with

spriing-loaded box magazines have worked more reliably with

underloaded magazines. The Sten gun is a particularly

notorious example; charging its magazine with the full 32

rounds drastically increased the likelihood of stoppages.

Stoppages in the M16 due to the fouling from the dirty

powder and excessive rate of fire were another thing entirely.

The practise of taping two charged magazines together could

also drag the front lip of the loaded magazine out of true and

cause a stoppage.

Quote[/b] ]No, it's because of the design of the magazine and spring.

The 20 round M16 magazines could actually take up to 21

rounds but it was soon found that loading more than 17 or

18 made it prone to jamming. Many Vietnam veterans mention

this practise.

And it carries on today with the 30 round magazine, unfortunately.

Only problem i have is that when you get in the back seats of things, you kind of stick up in the air 2 feet, with your head going through metal. Other than that, good mod. Keep up the good work.

@Col. Faulkner - oh really, that's nice. smile_o.gif

@[10thMT]Tack-Up - If GranQ was aware of this problem then I believe he would have addressed it when updating the vehicles to ArmA.

isn't that the pilot sticking out? and do you use any other animations,addons?

See i got out of the heli (pilot suit) to see if you can sit off the side and when i got in my guy is in the turret animation even when i went to sit in the cargo, and my head is sticking through the roof of the helicopter.

I don't know if this is possible but wouldn't it be cool if trees and grass and stuff could burn, like say you just naped a treeline and the trees actually set on fire and all the leaves burnt off, similar to world in conflict, don't know if this is possible, but worth a thought though, and aswell a bit more gore, not over the top but reallistic like limbs and stuff being blown off, pretty grim i know but ofp mods had that.

Everyone I have ever played the mod with sitcks out of the huey when you sit in the passenger spots. So I don't think it is a problem with addons.

Jus wonderin you gonna incorporate strapping surfboards to the side's of hueys.. and actual surfing? lol only joking but yeah looks kickass

Probably has to do with either...

Just oving the proxy,changing to different proxy type, or changing the proxy anim

Did I hear saying a beta been released?

I see all your offers for a beta tester, but I would like to also.

Not only test, I can help some.Might get seriously involved.

I also have a slow computer , so thats a good test

(Laptop: XP4000+ cpu,1 gig ram, x600 256meg video card)

I always said that Arma would make an excellent Vietnam Era mod.Asides we need tunnels

Hell I to want to be a beta tester. I always loved the vietnam era war, dont know why because im not american.

Aside from the helisurfing bug I keep getting errors on the dskh about there are no drivers and it doesnt show up on the map. Also some trees haning in mid air or grass layers in mid air that look like they came from ofp (if it is the case then forget that last part)

Huey handels really bad but thats probebly bad arma handeling overal.

None the les I think it is pretty desent for an alpha.

Ps: Wil there also be female civ. The kind that either koffs or stab you. "Me make love to you long time" has to be in it rofl.gif

Very ambitious project this: the number of islands is huge - you have much work to do getting the grass etc. to avoid flying etc. on so many islands!

The work looks great so far, can't wait for the finished alpha with gauges etc.

You probably know this already,but the grass around the bases etc. is easy to walk through but stops tanks/m113's in their tracks like a tank-trap, and a small suggestion: a little more variation in trees and some mid-height foliage some places might be good to fool the eyes into more 'believability'.

A question also, the bases have like 'trench' things around, should these eventually be flush to the surrounding ground, or are they meant to be this way?

Looking forward to this mod.  Looking at the weapons picture in an earlier post...they look fantastic.  One thing though,  make sure that you use the M-16 with three prong flash suppressor and 20rnd magazine.  I haven't seen pictures with early 70's M-16 with 30rnd mags (not saying that they don't exist).

I am looking forward to the Stoner 63 light machinegun used by Navy SEALs.  My favorite weapon from Vietnam.  smile_o.gif

GD Mast

Focus of VTE will be on multiplayer from now on. Today we got our linux dedicated server up, it will now specialize to VTE and some other PMC goodies.

If anyone is interested of playing VTE on MP, check out VTE pre-alpha download and then look for "PMC" or "VTE" from MP ingame browser.

Hope to see you all on the server soon smile_o.gif

One thing though,  make sure that you use the M-16 with three prong flash suppressor and 20rnd magazine.  I haven't seen pictures with early 70's M-16 with 30rnd mags (not saying that they don't exist).

As was noted above: 30 rnd M16 mags were not accepted

for service until June of 1970 and entered production some

time after that. They were not common in theatre before the

end of the war. Pouches for them were not officially issued

until 1974 (as part of the ALICE equipment set. The 30 rnd

ALICE magazine pouches were in fact released before the

rest of the ALICE set, and were interchangeable with the

M1967 and M1956 equipments). Before 1974, the few soldiers

who did have 30 rnd magazines tended to carry them in

empty M18 Claymore bags and canteen covers.

The 20 rnd mags were often carried in bandoliers, and all the

other webbing was discarded. The grunt's fighting order then

consisting of rucksack with canteens attached and several

bandoliers for ammo.

Edit: Digging through my stuff I note that there were some

M1967 MLCE pouches made for 30 rnd magazines and a few

of these were issued in theatre before the more widespread

issue of the ALICE pouches in late 1973-early 1974. 30 rnd

M1967 pouches (officially "Small arms ammo cases") were,

and are, quite rare, though.

I just tried to play on the VTE server and the only mission that would load was the Quick Fly at Ia Drang. Every other one I tried gave me kind of the same error. They all said something like "cannot load VTE_whateverisland.ilsposition

Thats right, thats one of the bugs in the pre-alpha. The trick is to load the same island again and second time ArmA will allow you to play. This, among other things will be fixed in tonights hotfix/patch.

I was in last night for a while trying to carpet bomb some VC in the Il Drang. I'll jump on right now for about an hour...

Huh?

There was a relese? Link please!

I can't wait to control a VC unit or a USA soldier in the middle of the jungle inlove.gif

I might come back in, i ctded but man that's really fun. Too bad theres like 60 that respawn...

Oh, guys there were 4 in tonight, and it was really fun.