Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Vietnam: The Experience

Which country used the Sten in vietnam? i know the SASR used the silenced Sten but ive never heard of the standard Sten being used

bonus.. don't ask me. I just got hold on a few weapons, so i coded them smile_o.gif

I'm pretty sure the Sten was used in SOG ranks but more importantly, so was the Swedish K (my alltime fave).

Hell, I guess every conceivable weapon was used in that war at one time or another.

GranQ - I still work (slowly smile_o.gif) on the smoke effects. Check out video:

I'm thinking of using the animated effect for the initial poof of huge smoke when napalm goes off, followed by the lesser volume default smoke. The fireball & fire itself is still to be tackled smile_o.gif

looking nice and thick.. want to have fire like in Apocalypse Now.. maybe not realistic, but thats how 99% of us all will think it should be..

btw did you see?

http://granq.se/private/b52.WMV

Hmm, that's very interesting smile_o.gif is that the napalm-delivery service? smile_o.gif

If so then it should be fairly easy to attach new effects to the custom bombs.

i think we go for another plane with the napalm, something more tactical then the b52 smile_o.gif

but yeah we make some bomb, and then add effect on that.

Then we can use it on b52, or some other plane. Feel more for the a4 right now or the A1 that i am thinking snake man will import..

i adored what i have seen..

keep up the good work.

I suggest to update the 1st post with the more important features also with the best pics and videos posted on the thread wink_o.gif

It would atract more people and also usefull about the subject's concern, VIETNAM! biggrin_o.gif

edit: i tought the B52 could carry more bombs.. they were known as the "dropping carpets" due to the bombs they were allowed to drop.

(B-52 Bombing Footage Vietnam War)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88jrZjsNHPc

OK, need research help here.

was it MK 77 napalm used in vietnam or MK 74?

No guesses, we need facts..

about updating the first post with screens and stuff..

maybe.. or just check the officiall one.

Should make links to all the videos but they so often "work in progress", like this napalm..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8466094865818441886&hl=en

M16 with 30 rounds mag and XMS with 20?

always known it the other way round.

Are you going to "realistically" underload the magazines (eg.

18 rounds in a 20 round M16 magazine)?

30 round M16 magazines weren't used very much in Vietnam.

They were first tested at the Aberdeen proving ground in

June 1970, and only some time thereafter trickled into

theatre in small numbers.

That Ch-34 looks incredible - would you ever consider a separate release so that RACS can use it?

I'm happy to help with painting it into an RACS version wink_o.gif

The napalm-vid looks amazing, having some "fiery" explosions before the burning fire would be nice though.

Also.. the island looks abit.. empty, I'd suggest a lot of bushes, single trees, fallen trees and rocks etc. (you've probably already though about this, but I'll mention it anyway).

I'm really looking forward to this smile_o.gif

I just want to say this, thanks for all the media. I hate it when mod devs scimp out on media. You are constantly showing us new stuff, it all looks really good.

Sorry to send you another youtube video, but it is suprisingly hard to find videos of napalm. Yours are pretty good, but the flames should be a bit more orangy, and a lot larger.

forget the last link.. here is the same video, without the execution at the end. It is of napalm.

That Ch-34 looks incredible - would you ever consider a separate release so that RACS can use it?

I'm happy to help with painting it into an RACS version wink_o.gif

RACS already got alouette II wink_o.gif

it wasn't used in vietnam i presume? lovely bird.

If I may recommend... rather than making a fire effect, just have smoke particles that are bright orange rather than grayish black (I don't know if you can do this, it is just a suggestion)

By the way, I noticed the new m60 model, from the merc addon, I love that model.

I was thinking of recommending it, but I figured it was best to let the maker give them it you. while I am still on the topic, you know he also has an m14 model, right?

yeah but we will probaly use vilas new m14 and skavens m60, m16a1.. we see what happens down the road.

Do you have a link to vila's vietnam content? I was trying to find it.. But couldn't.

Do you have a link to vila's vietnam content? I was trying to find it.. But couldn't.

Hypno Toad, just go to "Vilas Addons" thread, scroll down to about midway of first post, and look for the word "Vietnam"... its not that hard!

ok not sure i should show this or not.

Please note THIS IS [N]NOT[/b] DECIDED IF WE WILL INCLUDE OR NOT.

I just had to play around with the ACAV idea after jamesg

Quote[/b] ]Now that multiple gun turrets are much easier in Arma (compared to OFP) do you think it be possible to make an ACAV for VTE? With an ACAV, we could make some pretty good convoy missions

so yes, i think its possible.. but still this is pending for a number of reasons..

m113acav.jpg

I like the grass model you have, if am looking forward to playing this now that I have installed a 512 mb graphics card.

aslo, I have a media request, could you show us a view of the islnad you have made from above? or, just various screenies of the forests?

The grass doesn't look that good.

Please don't use the grass model so many other mods in Flashpoint ued, the one that looks like a grid from above. It's terrible, absolutley terrible. UWAR grass was sooo much better.

@GranQ

I really like the approach to our community your mod team is doing!

1. I like the very often updates of the progress of your work.

(including screenshots)

2. I really like the idea of implementing addons other community members have already made! (Instead of trying to do all by yourself and making very slow progress or to die before birth...) This is real teamwork! This will weld our community together!

3. I like the idea of releasing a beta before the tools are out!

4. And I really like your determination of bringing out the mod before it's dead or Game2 comes out and everybody would lose interest in VTE for ArmA!

5. And after all I really like to see come VTE to ArmA, since it was one of the best mods for OFP and I played it a lot!

Definitely I'm looking forward to the first release!

There are 2 things that really kill my comp in arma, those grass models, and shadows, if the grass models are simplified, but not gone, then I am happy.

grass wont kill your comp if hdr is low and also in your island config

if you change value of

class Lighting : DefaultLighting {};

clutterGrid = xx.xx;

xx.xx is grid size if you put .01 it will lag like hell because many instances of grass in one island cell

if you change to 20.00 then less instances ofgrass or clutter in one island cell

you can also alter these figures to suit your needs , the distance at which clutter is drawn and the distance which it is not.

clutterDist = 55;

noDetailDist = 40;

fullDetailDist = 5;

you can also change the model of grass itself and how it is affected by wind . best is to change it to nothing then lag free

model = "ca\plants\clutter_forest_fern.p3d";

affectedByWind = 0.1;

scaleMin = 0.7;

scaleMax = 1.1;

I'd say you should include that ACAV

I didn't really like the grass either though, having grass just like the original ArmA one but longer in some areas would be nice.

And bushes, lots of bushes.

I wouldn't be wanting bushes, you should have bamboo, and shaggy trees. and use the basic palm trees that come with armed assault. those are the right kind.

I am sorry for posting so many pics and videos, but pics and videos are the best resources you have.

http://imagineressources.linternaute.com/documen....091.jpg

http://www.ac-hs.org/MClark.jpg

Notice how the trees all sag, they have small trunks and allot of leaves. and I do like the suggestion of making the grass long, it would make this look allot more lush and jungle like.

thanks all,maybe can bring you some new pictures tomorrow..

right now i am waiting for a huey and better islands.

Other then that i am very happy and pleased with the current weapons and soldiers. Will add some nva..

also the rumor says we will start see some tools this week. texview i guess that we don't need.

Remade the napalm to use smokeshells, more mp safe and more friendly for the cpu. Will post a video on them, needs tweaking, see if we can get some action around here.

Also been looking into a new VTE homepage with the help of gYMO.

How the hell did you make the islands, is the map editior out now, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it...

I have allot of mapping experience with HL2. and I have tried out various terrain generators.