Sign in to follow this  
Gigan

SCUD - Nuclear Explosion

Daniel @ June 14 2007,20:47)]
Are there any settings I can edit in the default addon so the initial blast doesn't cause my comp to freeze for a good 5 seconds?

Using the visual-only effect doesn't cause any screen lag at the blast for me.

I'd say it's all the destruction it causes that make the fps-impact. Maybe try it in the sea?

If this is the case maybe the destruction of the buildings could be extended over a longer period of time to reduce the load. Possibly from the outer edges and procceed in, that way the buildings that havent been destroyed will be hidden in the smoke

Not a bad idea. Also, is it possible to make the mushroom cloud create hard light at night time? I noticed it was glowing but when I shot FFARs near the blast zone, the sea was lit up light blue. Would be cool if the mushroom cloud lit up the area around it while it's bubbling away. smile_o.gif

This is marvelous! Finally an engine that can show off the work of a talented scripter. The effect was awesome.. My brother nearly s*** his pants when I set it off on Ramadi after we ran all over it on a hit and run mission. Got into an MH-6, went about 2 klicks NE, turned around and let it fly. Rocked the helo, damaged us a little, and dusted that entire island. Nice!

notworthy.gifinlove.gif

the shape of cloud particle is absolutly perfect. how hard was it to create that so precisly ??!!

the only request i would ask you is to add a global multiplier for the size of explosion .

or a single variant like 15M tonne warhead .   whistle.gif

It takes a lot of time to make the mushroom cloud effect. The most ended making a lot of scripts however in the OFP age only because it corrected it. smile_o.gif

It is examined to make two or more warheads by the next version about size of explosion.

I made a smal video avalibel at
, Enjoy.

nice vid. thumbs-up.gif

Are there any settings I can edit in the default addon so the initial blast doesn't cause my comp to freeze for a good 5 seconds?

This nuke missile decreases the performances most momentarily of the explosion.

I think that it is a great factor that the collapse of a lot of buildings and objects cuts it at the same time though it is one of the factors to use a lot of particles.

It is likely can do nothing but make it to a smaller explosion to cancel the freeze.  confused_o.gif

I know how to use the addon, what I am saying is, I want the scud triggered by a trigger, like an artillery script.

What is "artillery script" ?

nice pic. thumbs-up.gif

Hope to see this on a few servers, although I doubt it because if the resources it pulls, be nice to see it toned down a little for multiplayer/online use biggrin_o.gif. Would rock!!

If this addon comes to be used in MP, I will get excited. But, it seems not to function in MP according to StevoIRL's description. sad_o.gif

It is difficult in my present skill to enable use in MP.

Daniel @ June 15 2007,08:12)]Not a bad idea. Also, is it possible to make the mushroom cloud create hard light at night time? I noticed it was glowing but when I shot FFARs near the blast zone, the sea was lit up light blue. Would be cool if the mushroom cloud lit up the area around it while it's bubbling away.  smile_o.gif

A hard light at nighttime ..small amount.. works by the current state.

I am groping for solution of the phenomenon compulsorily removed when the source of light becomes advanced more than constancy.

The add on is very ery interesting.

Just a few considerations:

1)You should consider to introduce a function which return a Grid Coords (instead the X-Y- Number pos).

2)The mushroom, at least for me, seems to stay for too long

(i mean the final effect)

3) You should also consider to change the weather 'cause after a nuclear explosion an acid rain usually occur.

A part this, Great work!!

smile_o.gif

This is awesome. looks great when it goes off. Couldnt up the damage a bit though could ya? otherwise i love it

instead of doing it all at once, is it possible to do it with a little bit of time between knocking buildings down and creating clouds? will it decrease lag?

anyway, i LOVE it yay.gif

btw, the mushroom of the nuke has to be at least 2 times bigger biggrin_o.gif i advise 6-10 times bigger.

i think its about the size of a smallest tac nuke warhead

doesn't work properly in mp, players can't see the launch when host is launching, and they can't see explosion effect. after the explosion, a lot of desync between players occur, with freaky glitches.

Still a great addon

doesn't work properly in mp, players can't see the launch when host is launching, and they can't see explosion effect. after the explosion, a lot of desync between players occur, with freaky glitches.

Still a great addon

Haven't tried it in MP myself yet, but I do remember that in OFP viewdistance settings etc had to be set somewhat low so that players would see nukes in OFP, therefore the same may apply to ArmA? huh.gif

Edit: As for desync, well, nukes in OFP tended to make OFP "choke", even if very little, every time there was a nuclear explosion, it's very system-intensive, so no wonder... Better be away, FAR AWAY!!! tounge2.gif

Multiple warheads next? That should kill most of the computers in this community rofl.gif

I think that the current explosion power is just what we need. If anyone should use nuclear weapons on Sahrani, it would be tactical nukes. This thing does look like a tactical nuke strike. Anything more than that is overkill for such a small island.

Still a great addon

the scud missile doesnt work in MP.

but the blast script (exp.sqs & expnod.sqs) works well if all part have the addons.

I was very surprised - I actually dont see any performance hit on my machine.

It dropped from 35 fps to 33 fps, and I even launched 3 at a time. I'm using 2*7600gt SLI, and a 3800+ x2.

Good evening mates of the nuclear crisis biggrin_o.gif

I don't like the old ofp textures and they don't match that good with these other vehicles in arma so i started to retex the rocket as best as i can but its not finished...I try to orient at the real rockets like this or this one or even this rocket biggrin_o.gif

Movin from a 256x64 px to a 1024x256 px texture xmas_o.gif

compare1thumb.jpg

A short video I made. I chose the night setting as it's somewhat reminiscent of the early US and French South Pacific Atoll tests.

YouTube

Still a great addon

Confirmed... Unfortunately it doesn't work in MP. sad_o.gif Will it be updated for MP?

None the less, awesome nuke!

Gigan, excellent offering. It's quite excellent to see an addon that has this much apparent effort put into it. The way the mushroom cloud moves is quite close to how I understand them to move in real life. Excellent work!

Still a great addon

Confirmed... Unfortunately it doesn't work in MP. sad_o.gif Will it be updated for MP?

None the less, awesome nuke!

http://rapidshare.com/files/37487118/nuked.Sara.pbo.html

noob implementation of nuke ignition , but without scud procedure.

try it in MP , it works :-}

The add on is very ery interesting.

Just a few considerations:

1)You should consider to introduce a function which return a  Grid Coords (instead the X-Y- Number pos).

2)The mushroom, at least for me, seems to stay for too long

(i mean the final effect)

3) You should also consider to change the weather 'cause after a nuclear  explosion an acid rain usually occur.

A part this, Great work!!

smile_o.gif

Specification of target by Grid Coord is a good idea.  It is simple than coordinates specification.

Acid rain effect seems to be also sounds good.

Influence around mushroom is seen to very impact. video

instead of doing it all at once, is it possible to do it with a little bit of time between knocking buildings down and creating clouds? will it decrease lag?

Even if a few FPS decreases can be decreased, delaying explosion timing might not become a fundamental solution. Moreover, it becomes a sense of incompatibility and appears if  explosion timing is delayed too much. I think so.

Multiple warheads next? That should kill most of the computers in this community rofl.gif

I think that the current explosion power is just what we need. If anyone should use nuclear weapons on Sahrani, it would be tactical nukes. This thing does look like a tactical nuke strike. Anything more than that is overkill for such a small island.

Power that half of Sahrani island is eliminated by one. I will challenge once. wink_o.gif

Good evening mates of the nuclear crisis biggrin_o.gif

I don't like the old ofp textures and they don't match that good with these other vehicles in arma so i started to retex the rocket as best as i can but its not finished...I try to orient at the real rockets like this or this one or even this rocket biggrin_o.gif

Movin from a 256x64 px to a 1024x256 px texture xmas_o.gif

Nice work. To tell the truth, Vilas offered me his SCUD model. His model will be used in next version.

One guy who will help me by improving texture showed up. I will leave retexturing to him.

Your texture might be needed. Please maintain the state. smile_o.gif

A short video I made. I chose the night setting as it's somewhat reminiscent of the early US and French South Pacific Atoll tests.

YouTube

Nice vid with music. Sources of light that are stronger to influence surroundings seem to be necessary.

Copied from the WIP thread

Quote[/b] ]

Heyho, now im retexturing Gigan's SCUD because the old ofp textures don't math with the rest of Armed Assault. But i didn't found HQ Pics of the SCUD, so they are made from scratch. But the rocket looks surprisingly good with this kind of used effect. I could make some normal and bump maps but i don't know how to edit the config confused_o.gif

ingame7.1t.jpg ingame7.3t.jpg ingame7.4t.jpg

The rocket it self is near its finish but now i know that this is (a lot of) work left thumbs-up.gif

So it isnt advisable to work further on the whole truck? or isnt there a big difference between your and vila's model?!? smile_o.gif

Copied from the WIP thread
Quote[/b] ]

Heyho, now im retexturing Gigan's SCUD because the old ofp textures don't math with the rest of Armed Assault. But i didn't found HQ Pics of the SCUD, so they are made from scratch. But the rocket looks surprisingly good with this kind of used effect. I could make some normal and bump maps but i don't know how to edit the config  confused_o.gif

ingame7.1t.jpg ingame7.3t.jpg ingame7.4t.jpg

The rocket it self is near its finish but now i know that this is (a lot of) work left  thumbs-up.gif

So it isnt advisable to work further on the whole truck? or isnt there a big difference between your and vila's model?!? smile_o.gif

Vilas' SCUD model is more high-quality than my SCUD model though shape size is greatly different now. confused_o.gif

compii8.th.jpg

I think that it wants you to improve the texture of the model newly used better.

Hehe yep, but it could need a retex, too. Does anyone of you got icq? And which pack of vilas great armory do i have to download??? So i can start smile_o.gif I want to be finished in some weeks wink_o.gif

rgs telejunky

btw: it must be a great feeling for the crew to sit 1m away from a nuclear warhead rofl.gif

I'm very impressed, great work! ..my cpu is 'less' happy when a massive shockwave flies around tounge2.gif

a clip with some detonations I've made..

I'm very impressed, great work!  ..my cpu is 'less' happy when a massive shockwave flies around tounge2.gif

a clip with some detonations I've made..

Nice stuff man...

It also nukes all the FPS at the same time.. huh.gif

confused_o.gif

yay.gif