Sign in to follow this  
bxbx

1st  MLOD from ARMA ODOL v40 - M16A4.P3D

Yeah, but which does what? So far I've been using the 10k LOD for shadows, but whats 10010, 11000 and 11010?

Bleh, lets PM BI and hope for the best.

Has RockofSL said it's probably Shadow Lods, it makes sense, it's a question of trying a different shadow on the same model in one of the other lods and than se if it changes at distance.

If it doesn't than maybe checking the shadow inside a vehicle or at high altitude...

Just some ideas, sooner or later we'll find out.

Hmm, it seems that the 10000 and 11000 LODs are identical, at least to me. THe only thing that changes is the ammount of faces, but switching through the LODs doesn't show any changes in detail. Same for the 10010 and 11010 LODs. Can anybody confirm this? Is it just me?

10000 resolution LOD is the 'hybrid' shadow LOD i think, i've referred to it before as a 'stencil' shadow - rightly or wrongly.

11000 resolution LOD is the 'shadow' volume LOD i think...

what 10010, 110010 do is beyond me, i've been asking all over the place for the last couple of months without success... i haven't asked BIS dev's directly though as they should be working there little arses off...

have a look at the HMMWV shadow lods... interesting huh?! - but why are they like that ? - who knows - i don't.

i think RockoSL is right... in different rendering circumstances i think the various shadow shadows (and their subordinates) are used...

@RavenDK... duh! - you use a config made for something else in the hope it would just work?!! i dunno mate...

anyway, I'll have a skeleton for you shortly with a config etc... - do you need breakfast as well?  wink_o.gif  - (sorry today is smart-arse day...)

i have just this minute  successfully applied a standard ArmA rtm to the 'skeleton' i've made based off of these mlods and using OFPAnim... up to now i haven't bothered trying, but it honestly didn't take much...

@MehMan... some models shadow lods do have substantial differences in poly count...

smartass biggrin_o.gif

check your pm smile_o.gif

Good work anywho.

Ive been trying some of SLX's configs, no dice and i was messing with a other one.. but none worked out propper.

Oh yeah forgot to say this:

Thank you Synide!

Ive been trying some of SLX's configs, no dice and i was messing with a other one.. but none worked out propper.

Those models are waaaaay off center and none of the named selections are weighted sad_o.gif Argh! haha. I was so excited about them until I saw that. Thats why your getting errors with them as well as all the main selections being unattached. But at least the attachments and gear can be used with the example model and easily re-weighted.

Thanks for exporting these Synide. Maybe a few more unit models to get all the nice gear? Can't hurt to ask smile_o.gif

there's always PM or msn...

edit: oh yeah, btw... inadvertently, in these mlods, the properties 'autocenter' and 'lodnoshadow' should be reversed...

if you have a look at any of these 'body' type mlods, find the 'launcher' position and find the mid point of it's top edge... or find the vert position for 'land contact'... when viewing in OFPAnim if you alter the model offset to the opposite of this vert position xyz it'll be correctly centered and you can apply the anims ok...

edit2: also, some (if not all) of what you refer too maybe be forthcomming in time... ofp was a long road... with many peoples input

Yeah I already moved a couple to their rightful spot so I could try them out. Not sure if the new O2 release has this working or not, but I tried to copy and past the arma soldier model into one of these mlods into a new lod. I then used the "copy weights" function and it worked, but not the best, but after playing with it I know what to do to fix it.

Thanks again smile_o.gif

10000 resolution LOD is the 'hybrid' shadow LOD i think, i've referred to it before as a 'stencil' shadow - rightly or wrongly.

11000 resolution LOD is the 'shadow' volume LOD i think...

what 10010, 110010 do is beyond me, i've been asking all over the place for the last couple of months without success... i haven't asked BIS dev's directly though as they should be working there little arses off...........

According to the biki, 11000 - 11999 is shadowbuffer LODs.

Quote[/b] ]

prefershadowvolume=

Choose which shadow casting technique will be used. 0 = Shadow Buffer; 1 = Shadow Volume

10000 = Shadow Volume ?

11000 = Shadow Buffer ?

I hope this helps.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki....roperty

yes, since there inclusion on the biki the manual pages for O2 and Vistor3 have been bookmarked and are continuosly 'referred' too... smile_o.gif

No we have some example models. but...

there're little model.cfg files provided - can you get them from ODOL models ?

There're no helicopter model example. It would be nice to see BIS Geo LOD's... Can you provide it ?

There're no helicopter model example. It would be nice to see BIS Geo LOD's... Can you provide  it ?

hmmm...

Geo lods are present in these example mlods... but the 'total mass' and 'mass of components'  - and therefore the 'center of gravity' is not currently available.

(Or for that matter anything like vertices properties and any 'face' info) - this 'extra' info is being looked at, but not as much anymore 'cause it's better to play with the 'tools' and create stuff...

No we have some example models. but...

there're little model.cfg files provided - can you get them from ODOL models ?

for models that have a skeleton defined and don't inherit one from the hierarchy i guess that a model.cfg could be written out... there is quite a bit of extra information regarding the model that is not currently being written out to the 'old' OFP style mlods... but it would be quite a task... maybe in the future...

as an example... if you have a look at BIS's .cfg for the HMMWVSkeleton you'll note that it inherits from 'Car' and adds two (2) additional bones 'ammo_belt' and 'OtocHlaven'.

in the HMMWV50.p3d there is no mention of 'Car' (but there probably is - it's just not deducable) but the entire set of bones is there including the two additional ones. - this is readable and available.

also, there are 27 Animations defined in the model - the information available is - as an example...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Anim Zero - AnimSelection = "damageHide"

AnimSource = "damage"

AnimTransformType = 9

Transforms [0] = 0.0

[1] = 1.0

[2] = 0.0

[3] = 1.0

[4] = 0.0

[5] = 1.0

Anim Eight - AnimSelection = "FrontWheelDamperR"

AnimSource = "damper"

AnimTransformType = 6

Transforms [0] = -1000.0

[1] = 1000.0

[2] = -1000.0

[3] = 1000.0

[4] = 0.0

[5] = 0.0

[6] = 0.0

Also available is... for the list of 36 bones there is a list of AnimSelections that the bone is connected too... this list is available for each LOD. eg...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

bone 35 (actually the 36th bone) being "ammo_belt" is connected to 2 Animation Selections 22 and 26...

Anim TwentyTwo - AnimSelection = "ammo_belt_rotation"

AnimSource = "belt_rotation"

AnimTransformType = 3

Transforms [0] = 0.0

[1] = 0.01

[2] = 0.0

[3] = 0.01

[4] = 1.401298E-45

[5] = 0.0

[6] = -0.20944

Anim TwentySix  - AnimSelection = "damageAmmobelt"

AnimSource = "damage"

AnimTransformType = 9

Transforms [0] = 0.0

[1] = 1.0

[2] = 0.0

[3] = 1.0

[4] = 0.0

[5] = 1.0

Also available is... for the list of Anims if the Anim has 7 Transform values then there is a structure of what is believed to be the 'start' and 'end' points...

getting all this and more into a useable format is not an easy task... it is difficult and very, very time consuming - it is very useful as 'reference' material for doing one's own anims etc.

not much research is being done around this stuff at this end 'cause it's a lot of work... and it's hoped that BIS will provide How to's on animating the BIS ArmA mlods and more reference material through the biki regarding why things should be done in certain ways... that's all that is really required - then having to try and look at BIS content is not required to work out what to do and deduce why to do it...

edit:- the mlods previously linked to are now removed... thanks for your indulgence.

@IcebirdMK... very nice... materials are a 'whole new world' eh?! smile_o.gif

have you tried it in game yet?

IcebirdMK Keep your images to less then 100kb as per the forum rules.

Can someone please ODOL the US Special Forces model(s) with two kneepads and pants legs tucked in? I need them for my infantry! biggrin_o.gif

And please with sugar and a cherrie on top also a model with sleeves rolled up smile_o.gif

both work fine here smile_o.gif

by Synide

Quote[/b] ]links not available 24/7...